Question: Noob question: time to kill and loot.

Strykerrob

Mature
Strykerrob Strykerrob robbots
Greetings Entropians. I had a question regarding time to kill on bigger mobs. I read somewhere once that taking longer to kill a mob would affect the quality/quantity of loot from said mob. Is there any truth to this statement? I am asking this question because I am researching new creatures to hunt. I am 35 laser rifle hit and 35 laser damage, and there are several higher health mobs I can hunt with my armor setup, but I don’t want to commit to them if I will be penalized for taking more than 8 to 10 shots to kill them. Is the reason for the worse loot because of potential regen and increased armor decay/healing? Appreciate any insight you lovely folks can provide :) My armor is Ghost + 5b. An example would be Atrox, which Ghost protects against great but mature and higher is more than 1000 health so it can take more than 8 - 10 shots with an Armatrix lr-30 depending on damage swings.

Time to kill does not matter directly. One of the major factors in loot calculation is the cost you spent to loot the mob (weapon/amp decay, armor decay, fap decay). That along with your weapons efficiency (determines your TT return longterm) and your weapon damage per pec decides your loot composition (as confirmed by MA).
Higher dpp also means you will pay less (less cost to kill mob) = less loot per mob and smaller multipliers (less globals and hofs, more minis).

Also suspect that each mob have an optimal DPS level to maximize your loot potential in MU.

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification! This verified a lot of what I was thinking and makes me more comfortable with tackling some of the bigger mobs :)

Re-read Loot 2.0 docs

I think you need to re-read the Loot 2.0 information out there. Time to kill is specifically addressed, and I believe that information indicates that Time to Kill and also Overkill definitely affect the Loot calculation. I am no expert in how much it affects the calc, but it certainly is specified that it does.

Is the reason for the worse loot because of potential regen and increased armor decay/healing?

yes.
I've tested it with a friend, he had roughly same DPS as I, on demon hackers. Double DPS, we shooting as team, gave better loot composition than me shooting solo. At some point we started using a small damage finisher (10-20 damage per attack) which improved the loot composition even further.

Optimal Loot
Another feature of Loot 2.0 that has sparked lots of discussion and speculation is Optimal Loot.

It is important to note that Optimal Loot only affects loot composition (what you loot), not the loot value (how much you loot). There is no Optimal Loot penalty for hunting creatures that are well below your avatar’s level; in fact most such kills will meet the requirements for Optimal Loot composition.

To best achieve Optimal Loot:
  • Be sure to have the Hit Ability and Damage profession requirements maxed (10.0/10.0) on the weapon your avatar is using.
  • Avoid over-amping (using a weapon amplifier that adds more than 50% of the maximum damage of the weapon to which it is equipped).
  • Minimize healing costs and the need to interrupt damage dealing to heal.
In general, the lower the cost to kill a creature, the higher the proportion of loot composition will be Optimal Loot. There is no inherent “kill timer” for each creature; Optimal Loot is calculated based on costs, not on time.

Basically, time only matters if the protracted killing increases your costs through armor and/or healing decay. If you are able to hunt a mob without armor and with minimal, super-cheap (like resto or modfap) or no healing, your loot is not affected.

Basically, time only matters if the protracted killing increases your costs through armor and/or healing decay. If you are able to hunt a mob without armor and with minimal, super-cheap (like resto or modfap) or no healing, your loot is not affected.

That part about healing during dealing damage of mob I had forgotten... I think I may keep my imp resto... lol :ahh:

Seems the key is to use either bigger armor or minimal armor with imp/mod resto.

Based on what he said it's also a good idea to use a finisher to lower your cost per mob, that way it should give you better loot composition.

I think you need to re-read the Loot 2.0 information out there. Time to kill is specifically addressed, and I believe that information indicates that Time to Kill and also Overkill definitely affect the Loot calculation.

Yes, this is correct.

There is no standard time in seconds to kill a mob. But if you are inefficient in killing it, you will be penalized for the quality of the loot received. As OP said, 8 to 10 blows to kill a mob could be reasonable. But, If you delay 100 hits, for example, you will be inefficient and your loot will be penalized (probably pure shrpnel).

Last edited:
Back