Disturbance notice regarding In-game services

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
We are currently experiencing some technical issue after the patch which is causing our In-game services such as the chat to be unavailable.
We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding while we are working to have this resolved as soon as possible.
Kind regards,
Entropia Universe Support

Originally Posted Here

How is this not picked up in testing? Anyway goodluck getting it fixed

Such as teams too

How is this not picked up in testing? Anyway goodluck getting it fixed

One of two reasons:

1) They don't test.

2) They are not using containerized deployments, so their test environment differs from production.

One of two reasons:

1) They don't test.

2) They are not using containerized deployments, so their test environment differs from production.

You forgot:

MA coder skill level = noob
MA tester skill level = even worse noob

More disturbance when opening auction my screen starts shaking, now THAT is even more annoying than the zooming

More disturbance when opening auction my screen starts shaking, now THAT is even more annoying than the zooming
I had this before the current patch. It stops if I go to first person mode.

is the server where akmuul is located also a issue for u guys ? ... since hours i try to drill a oil global there ... sems to take all the day with these crashes and shit ... oww but atleast its cheap gameplay today :D

They don't have in house devs or testers. They are buying dev work from Ukraine, Belarus etc, cheap workforce.

I worked with few guys from there in past. Some of them was high-skilled, some others not. So is not a rule of thumb.

They don't have in house devs or testers. They are buying dev work from Ukraine, Belarus etc, cheap workforce.

Maybe they should really do that, as I know some Ukraine and Russian Developers that have way better skills than MA team :)

Always appears to me, that MA have a system integration and collaboration issues.

It's as if their off-site coders develop something with no insight to how this effects other EU systems. So an onsite systems guy then needs to integrate the newly developed software with the entire EU system.

Even if MA doesn't want to share their full source code, they could at least suggest to the off-site coders which systems any development work would effect. Then the coders could consider how they develop changes to incorporate other systems (make allowences for that), to make it much easier for the MA system guy to fit into into the overall system. Or even develop notes to that effect to help the integration person.

I'm sure systems engineering and integration is the same for coding as it is for real world engineering projects. It doesn't even need an expensive system guy really (since no lives are at risk), just a good project manager with an understanding of the full system with some critical path analysis skills.

I'm not one for massive red tape, just needs a project manager that can communicate and balance delivery well. Hey-ho EU down for few hours is hardly the end of the world.

Rick

can be some unhappy employees who sabotage slightly the system :kos:

You forgot:

MA coder skill level = noob
MA tester skill level = even worse noob

I believe Mindark´s Developers Manager handle many external programmers doing small tasks, but these programmers do not know what the general design does. Only someone from mindark integrates all pieces of software, but in these conditions it is very difficult to make testing. I think they do this because of a confidentiality issues. :cool:

Last edited:
It's as if their off-site coders develop something with no insight to how this effects other EU systems. So an onsite systems guy then needs to integrate the newly developed software with the entire EU system.

Even if MA doesn't want to share their full source code, they could at least suggest to the off-site coders which systems any development work would effect.

Any software (game or otherwise) that follows common best patterns and practices *should* be developed as isolated, unit-tested systems, that operate independently of each other; otherwise you're violating (among other things) the singular-responsibility principle and the dependency-inversion principle. There shouldn't be any reason for a developer coding component X to need to know anything about a potential integration with component Y, if they are doing it properly.

Regressions or other breakage from integration *should* be covered and caught by automated integration and/or end-to-end tests, falling back on manual regression testing from QA.

My experience, though, is that offshore developers don't follow common patterns and practices, and who knows the level of talent that is doing code reviews on MA's side. I would hate to see a coverage analysis.

We are currently experiencing some technical issue after the patch which is causing our In-game services such as the chat to be unavailable.

Maybe someone broke it after they got fired? :cool:

Any software (game or otherwise) that follows common best patterns and practices *should* be developed as isolated, unit-tested systems, that operate independently of each other; otherwise you're violating (among other things) the singular-responsibility principle and the dependency-inversion principle. There shouldn't be any reason for a developer coding component X to need to know anything about a potential integration with component Y, if they are doing it properly.

Regressions or other breakage from integration *should* be covered and caught by automated integration and/or end-to-end tests, falling back on manual regression testing from QA.

My experience, though, is that offshore developers don't follow common patterns and practices, and who knows the level of talent that is doing code reviews on MA's side. I would hate to see a coverage analysis.

From my 18 years of software engineering experience, I can say only.... YES!

PS two years ago I suffer from crashing on Secret Island, from "race condition vulgaris", jr. engineer forgot a lock.
(disableing parallel shader loading fixes it 100%, so I sure it was race).

Related to current upgrade issues -- I 98% sure, that upgrade fails on attempt install VC runtime for x86-64 arch, when I have 32bit install (I play from linux, and I use wine, where I can enable logging of loading dlls, I sure that loader executing "drive_c/program files/Entripia Universe/redist/vcredist-x64.exe" (right after calling ...-x86.exe), which fail due 32-bit only installation.

I hope this info helps to debug, and if (surprising) MA wants more info (like logs), they can PM/email me, I'd like to collaborate.

Back