EU portable install

buckaroobanzai

Stalker
Society
Shaolin
Buckaroo Buck Banzai
I think this was discussed several years ago, but this type of information gets obsolete very quickly.

Wondering if anybody managed to set up the EU client as a portable install, e.g. something which can be run from an external HDD and moved from one PC to another. Any ideas or suggestions in this respect? Thank you.

Take care,
BBB

Pretty sure I did this with a standard HDD. Just completely uninstall from your PC, install and select HDD as directory. Ran it this way on a PC I only had a 100gb SSD in, and after about 2hrs, decided to clear space on the SSD for EU since performance on the portable was terrible :D

Sorry, I fear I was not clear: “portable” in the sense that you don’t need to run installer on each PC you want to use. You just double click on exec file and there you go.

Im a bit confused now but if i understand you correctly you want to have a game on external disc and just plug it to any pc and run game without instaling right?
Thats exacly how i used it, game was instaled on mp3 player and i just had to connect it with usb cable to any pc and run game.

Im a bit confused now but if i understand you correctly you want to have a game on external disc and just plug it to any pc and run game without instaling right?
Thats exacly how i used it, game was instaled on mp3 player and i just had to connect it with usb cable to any pc and run game.

Did you start the client simply clicking on the exe file? Which folders did you copy to the external support?

BB

I have my game on a normal portable HDD, it works great. I have install it on it and every time i want to play i use my portable HDD ;)

Did you start the client simply clicking on the exe file? Which folders did you copy to the external support?

BB

When i was instaling eu i just connected external drive to pc and instaled eu there and then used CliendLoader.exe icon thats inside game folder to run it.
It should be easy since mine worked on MP3 player lol :D

no he is talking about bypassing the client loader to save bandwidth. for instance, at a cybercafe with 100 pcs. bandwidth, like the stuff MA should be concerned with, you know, when people have to rerun the loader after the clientloader crash near the tail end of the download.

run Entropia from any drive

I think this was discussed several years ago, but this type of information gets obsolete very quickly.

Wondering if anybody managed to set up the EU client as a portable install, e.g. something which can be run from an external HDD and moved from one PC to another. Any ideas or suggestions in this respect? Thank you.

Take care,
BBB

Presume your PC has met all the requirement.

Normal installation has two folders as follow;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Entropia Universe
C:\ProgramData\entropia universe\public_users_data

Merge those two folders to "D:\pro\eu" (can be any drive/folder)

So you want to run Entropia from "D:\pro\eu"; should have files and folders as follow;

D:\pro\eu\bin32
D:\pro\eu\bin64
D:\pro\eu\out
D:\pro\eu\program_data
D:\pro\eu\public_users_data
D:\pro\eu\redist
D:\pro\eu\Uninstall
D:\pro\eu\uninstall.exe
D:\pro\eu\version.txt

Backup registry.

Remove registry string(s) "PublicUsersDataParentFolder"

Normally they are at;

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MindArk\Entropia Universe
PublicUsersDataParentFolder (C:\ProgramData\entropia universe)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MinArk\Entropia Universe
PublicUsersDataParentFolder (C:\ProgramData\entropia universe)

To run entropia without checking updates;
D:\pro\eu\bin32\Entropia.exe --run
or
D:\pro\eu\bin64\Entropia.exe --run

Above is working for me, if not for you, may try to change "PublicUsersDataParentFolder" instead of removing.

i know that some ppl run entropia on there home computer and take access with the smart phone ... but dont ask me how they do that kind of witch craft :D

The word "install" in the thread title is problematic. What makes an application portable is that it doesn't have to be installed at all (the link you provided says that as well). Take Rufus for example:

https://rufus.ie

If you download the portable application, there is no installer; you just click the EXE and it runs. There are no registry keys or anything messy like that.

That is how a portable application works. I haven't heard of this being done with EU but I can't say for sure it hasn't been.

i know that some ppl run entropia on there home computer and take access with the smart phone ... but dont ask me how they do that kind of witch craft :D

Any type of remote desktop program, Chrome Remote Desktop works fine and is free. Movement and commands take quite some getting used to having to use on screen action keys only though :D

I am resurrecting this thread as the portable run approach which I used in the past is not working anymore after the latest update.

Summarizing: I have installed EU toan external drive, which I am connecting to different PCs in order to have a portable version of EU. The executable (entropia.exe, 64 bit version) used to be run with the following command line:

entropia.exe --run

After the update, the above command line generates an error message: "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)".

Any suggestions about this?

Thank you and take care,
BBB

each machine you want to run EU on will need manual install of everything from your game 'redist' folder, vcredist_x64, vcredist_x86, DXSETUP
should work again as before then.

Back