PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Konrad Nightstalker
    Quote Originally Posted by pechunter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure EVE online is rce!?
    EVE is a subscription-based MMO, not RCE. You cannot withdraw ur ISK to RL money, can u?

Billy Jean Ruby
    Society
    Factory of Fun
    Images
    First obstacle is the license to operate a RCE platform. Second are the startup funds for it because it is way more than a subscription game and cash are needed for cover up. I think there is an article about that somewhere, but can't find it in my archive right now, if I find it I will link it.
    Finally the market, is so different now than 16 years back and I believe neither MA will attempt it nowdays.

edit: RCE are only two as far as I know and I'm active participant in both (and that's the reason Im in actually)! Second Life and Entropia.
    EVE online IT IS NOT RCE! It is a subscription game with PLEX (unlock one month of play and is an item ingame market) trading sometimes outside of the game illegally. But players can buy PLEX from webshop and trade it in game for ISK (ingame currency) and that's legit.
    Last edited by Billy Jean Ruby; 06-13-2019 at 10:50.

Detritus the Troll
    Images
    It's pretty simple, the core issue is that it's a lose-lose business model from the start.

It's very easy for any other type of multiplayer game to provide a high level of reward feedback and keep players interested and happy. If loot/items have no value, you can fill the players with good loot, items, skins, gold, whatever, and players feel successful even without being able to withdraw that success.

With an RCE you have a serious problem in this regard, since everything has a real value. Rewarding players costs money. MA tries to get around this a little bit with player-bound items and things like UA, but ultimately they can't provide too much of a path of success for players or they will be losing money. People here are always complaining "MA bring back MU, MA fix the economy", but you have to understand that profit for players = loss for MA.

Bottom line:

Successful players = MA losing
    Successful MA = players losing

Hard to make a success story out of that. MA as a company seems to have a long history of diving head first into things without fully analyzing or understanding them, so my guess is they didn't think this through, but found enough of a niche market to stay alive. Most companies will have enough brains to take one look at this business model and nope the fuck out.
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. - Terry Pratchett

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Konrad Nightstalker
    Quote Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
    It's pretty simple, the core issue is that it's a lose-lose business model from the start.

It's very easy for any other type of multiplayer game to provide a high level of reward feedback and keep players interested and happy. If loot/items have no value, you can fill the players with good loot, items, skins, gold, whatever, and players feel successful even without being able to withdraw that success.

With an RCE you have a serious problem in this regard, since everything has a real value. Rewarding players costs money. MA tries to get around this a little bit with player-bound items and things like UA, but ultimately they can't provide too much of a path of success for players or they will be losing money. People here are always complaining "MA bring back MU, MA fix the economy", but you have to understand that profit for players = loss for MA.

Bottom line:

Successful players = MA losing
    Successful MA = players losing

Hard to make a success story out of that. MA as a company seems to have a long history of diving head first into things without fully analyzing or understanding them, so my guess is they didn't think this through, but found enough of a niche market to stay alive. Most companies will have enough brains to take one look at this business model and nope the fuck out.
    The point of playing MMO (or games in general) is to provide fun in expense of your money, so by paying money, you get the fun. The company makes money, the players get the complete in-game package. It becomes a problem when you can also gain money, in addition to fun.

So, from the equation

Money spent = Fun + Fee

it becomes

Money spent = Money return + Fun + Fee

In the first equation, we have no problems on how equal the "Fun" and the money spent, since the money you spend into the game nets you a relatively equal amount of in-game items + fun factor . The "Fee" itself is negligible, because it is hidden behind the "Fun" factor.

This "Fun" in the 2nd equation is arguably the one variable that justify the less-than-100% return. Obviously, there are some ppl, in which the equation proved in favor on the right side, and another group of people that lose more than what they gain. In total, the "Money Spent" - "Fee" is the averaged "90% return". This "Fee" cannot be easily hidden like the 1st equation, since now we have "Money Return" as the gain, so we view "Fee" also as losses.

Just my 2pecs

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Gloria GoNi Nicestyle
    Society
    freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pechunter View Post
    Pretty sure EVE online is rce!? and i vaguely recalling Project Ion was ment to be a RCE game.
    Its definately NOT RCE !

Some trade ISK in EVE outside of game, but thats a risky thing as it is against EULA for EVE and your account can be banned.

Sidenote:
    They are very strickly checking for that things and do ban, own experience. The account I sold, got banned less than one week later, but it was due to stupidity of the buyer. Telling everyone ingame that he has bought that account, is fairly stupid as it got reported to support, and they checked and found out how the deal was set up.

Wizzina Wizz Pale Moon
    Society
    The Ministry
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by True Juan View Post
    Hi guys,

Does anyone have better knowledge of why Mindark does not have competition in the RCE field?
    Is it because its hard, not very profitable or do they have some very strong patents that protect them?

Because for me its rather interesting that no one stepped up to compete.

Regards,
    True
    Because there's only a limited of number of idiots like us to join such a game.
    And since we're already "taken" there wouldnt be enough idiots left to fill another game

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    In the Refrigerator, Behind the Mayonnaise, Next to the Ketchup, and to the Left of the Cole Slaw
    Bare BareBones Bones
    Society
    Skillin Villains
    Images
    AfterWorld was an RCE , though it was only in beta and died there.

It hung on for a few years and many from here played it.
    Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
    11 October 1884 7 November 1962

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Magnus Svarog
    Society
    freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    AfterWorld was an RCE , though it was only in beta and died there.

It hung on for a few years and many from here played it.
    It never had withdrawals, only a promise of it in future, so never was an RCE.

Why should a company deal with all the regulations for money laundry prevention, risk their ruin because people might withdraw more than they deposit and make horrible design decesions to make people spend and lose money when you can make a fun game instead and sell loot boxes ?

Stalker
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Iveline Ivi Stockhouse
    Society
    BAHQ
    Images
    Aftertime Diaries was supposed to be RCE but project died

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast