Help: Workarounds/fixes for the Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 "95% Crash"?

Lefty

Stalker
Society
Calypso Rescue Team
Medb Lefty Lucy
What are the known workarounds and/or fixes for when the client loader crashes at 95% while trying to update Visual C++ Redistributable 2015?

Much appreciated,

Medb

Do not wait loader to finish with updates, press the green button as soon as possible :) This has been workaround for me for years.

Didn't happen for me on the main machine where I've already had vc2017 that includes and replaces vc2015, but on another machine I just killed the loader and vc++ installer and installed vc2019 which again includes 2017 and 2015.

Just launched EU on an old PC I haven't used for a while, the loader tried to install VC++ 2015, I cancelled it, terminated the loader, installed x64 VC++ 2019 from there (direct link vc_redist.x64.exe), started the loader and it updated the game without trying to install anything else.

Didn't happen for me on the main machine where I've already had vc2017 that includes and replaces vc2015, but on another machine I just killed the loader and vc++ installer and installed vc2019 which again includes 2017 and 2015.
Thanks, this solution sounds very likely, and I'll try it as soon as I figure out the correct "killall" arguments (the client loader remains unresponsive during the few seconds involved in Visual C++, and the message from Visual C++ flashes a few times too quickly for me to read).

Do not wait loader to finish with updates, press the green button as soon as possible :) This has been workaround for me for years.
Neither the green button nor the Tools button become clickable at any point while ClientLoader is running. Wholesale interruptions sounds more likely to me.

What are the known workarounds and/or fixes for when the client loader crashes at 95% while trying to update Visual C++ Redistributable 2015?

Much appreciated,

Medb

Oh FFS MA! Ok, knowing that trying to install anything 64-bit on 32-bit would be a bit stupid, I never tried to install the redist x64 manually. Out of frustration just now, I decided to try anyway and discovered that this IS the redist version my Vista keeps failing on from the client loader. It is the infamous 14.0.24215, which I had assumed was some failing of a x86 version, but NO, it's bleedin' 64-bit version!

So, any clues please on how to get the client loader to update without banging its head repeatedly against this wall?!!! Ideally a solution from MA would be nice!

edit: correction - looks like it is trying the x86 version with the same number after all, but still no sign of working. If you install newer than that manually the update popups are too quick to see what they are before the fail notice, so I assumed wrongly before deinstalling newest yet again...

Last edited:
Okay, this is just a stab in the dark. Hopefully it may prove to be useful?

I'm on Windows 10 64-bit and I can log into EU just fine.

I have these Visual C++ installed in my programs and apps.
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable 10.0.40219
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) 11.0.61030
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) 11.0.61030
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x64) 14.13.26020
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86) 14.13.26020

Try if you can manually install these and hopefully it would fix this 95% error? I hope.

x64 is for 64-bit windows.
x86 is for 32-bit windows.

If you are using 32-bit, you shouldn't need to nor be able to install x64 ones.
If you are using 64-bit, try to install all of them...including the x86 ones.

Okay, this is just a stab in the dark. Hopefully it may prove to be useful?
Thanks for having a look.
I had versions going back to something like 2006 installed. I finally uninstalled all so that even the loader itself wouldn't run and then installed back 2012 and 2015 x86s. Nothing, including the even newer version than 2015, have made a difference. I've also found no way to effectively cancel the update attempt - it runs until it fails, then the client loader closes, with not even what it downloads for EU being saved.

I have a win10 computer which has no problems, so I'm not desperate, just pretty pissed off about 'standing on one leg' for weeks now! I'd have completely missed the changes to space - which I very much like - for example.

Much appreciated,

Medb

UPDATE - I've got it working - more info in a few mins - work calls!
(and MA doing some technical downtime for their screwed up event lol)

ok, what I did:
I basically copied all the files (except the dynamic content that is the main bulk of data) from my working comp to the vista comp via USB. I left the dynamic content as it already was, hoping it would spare many GB of downloading. As I wasn't sure about what settings get stored where, I changed the tools on the working comp to force 32-bit before I copied the files.

Suddenly the vista comp did not want to update redist anymore and proceeded to download the necessary additional dynamic content and compact it. Then I managed to log on - simple as that - to be faced with downtime for maintenance for summer mayhem lol!

So, how do people without a working solution get a working set of folders to copy? Is there a mirror anywhere of necessary and current files? MA, you reading this?

Really! Weeks of all this fuss and there IS a reasonable solution that at least has worked for me! Zero thanks to you-know-who in all of this, but I'd have hoped we could have done better/faster as a community too tbh!

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
UPDATE - I've got it working - more info in a few mins - work calls!
(and MA doing some technical downtime for their screwed up event lol)

IN - again on Vista, so I think we now know it is repeatedly possible using the above solution if you have it available.
As nobody has replied in the last week or so, does it mean everyone has either upgraded, quietly found a solution of their own, or have given up for now and simply left for greener pastures?

The client loader gets stuck, by the way, after downloading the extra planetary files, but closing it down and restarting gets the green button...

I can't click fast enough to kill them at the appropriate point. Any idea how to force the Tools button to be clickable?

I can't click fast enough to kill them at the appropriate point. Any idea how to force the Tools button to be clickable?

I just used the windows' Task Manager, no idea how to do it on linux.

I just used the windows' Task Manager, no idea how to do it on linux.

Maybe there is a difference in managing to cancel of whether the downloaded files are saved or not? Could it somehow be that if you cancel the update the downloaded files stay but if you let it fail then the files get cancelled?

I have this thought because on these 95% fails with redist, the other updated files are reloaded each time and refuse to 'stay' even though downloaded in theory. As my workaround for not getting redist to try and download in the first place is to have the other files already in place (from a different comp in this case), at which point the client loader seems to think everything is fine and continues the next step of planetary data if any is missing, maybe the cancelling somehow achieves the same for those that manage it? Task manager cancelling didn't work for me either, by the way.

I repeat my pleas to MA: add to your website somewhere the current 32- and 64-bit folders (both are required even by 32-bit users for the later check made about activating redist dwnld), maybe the file_desc folder, and of course the small current version file. Your experts should know what triggers the problematic redist subroutine - if they do not want to remove the trigger itself, then please get them to help people with my workaround solution.

Maybe there is a difference in managing to cancel of whether the downloaded files are saved or not? Could it somehow be that if you cancel the update the downloaded files stay but if you let it fail then the files get cancelled?

I don't think it matters how you cancel it, I've fixed it on 2 machines so far and in both cases the manual installation of vc2019 x64 is what made EU to skip trying to install vc2015 and to update successfully.

I don't think it matters how you cancel it, I've fixed it on 2 machines so far and in both cases the manual installation of vc2019 x64 is what made EU to skip trying to install vc2015 and to update successfully.

If I remember correctly, then my vista refused to install the x64 even manually... but maybe I only tried the vc2015 x64, to which the system said it didn't support this. Is there then a difference between trying to install x64 2015 and x64 2019 and better "backwards" compatibility of the 2019 version that lets it install even on 32-bit vista?

It's a bit crazy really trying to find ways to prevent the client loader from trying to install something uninstallable, but if the vc2019 x64 will actually install itself, but the vc2015 x64 won't, then MA could simply change the version it tries to enforce as a solution too! They have said they are looking at it, maybe they are doing that rather too literally :eyecrazy: and should try changing it?

If I remember correctly, then my vista refused to install the x64 even manually... but maybe I only tried the vc2015 x64, to which the system said it didn't support this. Is there then a difference between trying to install x64 2015 and x64 2019 and better "backwards" compatibility of the 2019 version that lets it install even on 32-bit vista?

Shouldn't be a difference between 2015 and 2019, but of course for 32-bit Vista it needs to be 32-bit version of VC redist, don't even try x64.

But then it's Vista you are talking about, who knows what it even compatible with nowadays, haven't seen it for 10+ years. All my machines were under Win 10 x64.

Shouldn't be a difference between 2015 and 2019, but of course for 32-bit Vista it needs to be 32-bit version of VC redist, don't even try x64.
I have a hunch that is what loader IS trying, unless you can convince it not to as described.

yeah, different problems for different systems. Glad your Win 10s are working now, and I know Vista is old, but it's still perfectly roadworthy. Heck, there are even games I would still play today that ran on DOS, or Atari 8-bit!!! And EU does run perfectly happily on Vista once you solve the problems recently created...

I have a hunch that is what loader IS trying, unless you can convince it not to as described.

yeah, different problems for different systems. Glad your Win 10s are working now, and I know Vista is old, but it's still perfectly roadworthy. Heck, there are even games I would still play today that ran on DOS, or Atari 8-bit!!! And EU does run perfectly happily on Vista once you solve the problems recently created...
Yes, for me the loader is locked onto 64-bit and the Tools button is greyed out and unresponsive. I did figure out how to abort the clientloader - just took a little practice, like sweating. But it would be nice to use 32-bit on this old processor instead of adding an emulation layer for 64-bit.

I'm in the moment of truth re: vcre 2019 on emulated windows 10. If that fails, I'll move back down to windows 7 and try Detritus' link for 2015. The ease of discarding whatever doesn't work, is just one more convenience of emulation.

[update] vcre 2019 from Svarog's link fails and generates an empty log file. Processing...
[update 2] Oh this is amusing. The error was "another version is installed".
[update 3] Nope. ClientLoader generates the same tired old illegible error on a completely fresh install. Maybe the vcre it's trying to install is bad, or maybe it's insisting on 64bit, but the error message flashes across the screen too quickly to read it. Either way the Tools button is inoperable, so I'm stuck with whatever setting it expects. Not sure whether I'll find the time for this.

Last edited:
Back