Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Medb Lefty Lucy
    Society
    Calypso Rescue Team
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Svarog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't happen for me on the main machine where I've already had vc2017 that includes and replaces vc2015, but on another machine I just killed the loader and vc++ installer and installed vc2019 which again includes 2017 and 2015.
    I can't click fast enough to kill them at the appropriate point. Any idea how to force the Tools button to be clickable?
    .... just one man's opinion

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Magnus Svarog
    Society
    freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I can't click fast enough to kill them at the appropriate point. Any idea how to force the Tools button to be clickable?
    I just used the windows' Task Manager, no idea how to do it on linux.

I just used the windows' Task Manager, no idea how to do it on linux.
    Maybe there is a difference in managing to cancel of whether the downloaded files are saved or not? Could it somehow be that if you cancel the update the downloaded files stay but if you let it fail then the files get cancelled?

I have this thought because on these 95% fails with redist, the other updated files are reloaded each time and refuse to 'stay' even though downloaded in theory. As my workaround for not getting redist to try and download in the first place is to have the other files already in place (from a different comp in this case), at which point the client loader seems to think everything is fine and continues the next step of planetary data if any is missing, maybe the cancelling somehow achieves the same for those that manage it? Task manager cancelling didn't work for me either, by the way.

I repeat my pleas to MA: add to your website somewhere the current 32- and 64-bit folders (both are required even by 32-bit users for the later check made about activating redist dwnld), maybe the file_desc folder, and of course the small current version file. Your experts should know what triggers the problematic redist subroutine - if they do not want to remove the trigger itself, then please get them to help people with my workaround solution.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Magnus Svarog
    Society
    freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsina View Post
    Maybe there is a difference in managing to cancel of whether the downloaded files are saved or not? Could it somehow be that if you cancel the update the downloaded files stay but if you let it fail then the files get cancelled?
    I don't think it matters how you cancel it, I've fixed it on 2 machines so far and in both cases the manual installation of vc2019 x64 is what made EU to skip trying to install vc2015 and to update successfully.

I don't think it matters how you cancel it, I've fixed it on 2 machines so far and in both cases the manual installation of vc2019 x64 is what made EU to skip trying to install vc2015 and to update successfully.
    If I remember correctly, then my vista refused to install the x64 even manually... but maybe I only tried the vc2015 x64, to which the system said it didn't support this. Is there then a difference between trying to install x64 2015 and x64 2019 and better "backwards" compatibility of the 2019 version that lets it install even on 32-bit vista?

It's a bit crazy really trying to find ways to prevent the client loader from trying to install something uninstallable, but if the vc2019 x64 will actually install itself, but the vc2015 x64 won't, then MA could simply change the version it tries to enforce as a solution too! They have said they are looking at it, maybe they are doing that rather too literally and should try changing it?

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Magnus Svarog
    Society
    freelancer
    Images
    If I remember correctly, then my vista refused to install the x64 even manually... but maybe I only tried the vc2015 x64, to which the system said it didn't support this. Is there then a difference between trying to install x64 2015 and x64 2019 and better "backwards" compatibility of the 2019 version that lets it install even on 32-bit vista?
    Shouldn't be a difference between 2015 and 2019, but of course for 32-bit Vista it needs to be 32-bit version of VC redist, don't even try x64.

But then it's Vista you are talking about, who knows what it even compatible with nowadays, haven't seen it for 10+ years. All my machines were under Win 10 x64.

Shouldn't be a difference between 2015 and 2019, but of course for 32-bit Vista it needs to be 32-bit version of VC redist, don't even try x64.
    I have a hunch that is what loader IS trying, unless you can convince it not to as described.

yeah, different problems for different systems. Glad your Win 10s are working now, and I know Vista is old, but it's still perfectly roadworthy. Heck, there are even games I would still play today that ran on DOS, or Atari 8-bit!!! And EU does run perfectly happily on Vista once you solve the problems recently created...

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Medb Lefty Lucy
    Society
    Calypso Rescue Team
    Images
    I have a hunch that is what loader IS trying, unless you can convince it not to as described.

yeah, different problems for different systems. Glad your Win 10s are working now, and I know Vista is old, but it's still perfectly roadworthy. Heck, there are even games I would still play today that ran on DOS, or Atari 8-bit!!! And EU does run perfectly happily on Vista once you solve the problems recently created...
    Yes, for me the loader is locked onto 64-bit and the Tools button is greyed out and unresponsive. I did figure out how to abort the clientloader - just took a little practice, like sweating. But it would be nice to use 32-bit on this old processor instead of adding an emulation layer for 64-bit.

I'm in the moment of truth re: vcre 2019 on emulated windows 10. If that fails, I'll move back down to windows 7 and try Detritus' link for 2015. The ease of discarding whatever doesn't work, is just one more convenience of emulation.

[update] vcre 2019 from Svarog's link fails and generates an empty log file. Processing...
    [update 2] Oh this is amusing. The error was "another version is installed".
    [update 3] Nope. ClientLoader generates the same tired old illegible error on a completely fresh install. Maybe the vcre it's trying to install is bad, or maybe it's insisting on 64bit, but the error message flashes across the screen too quickly to read it. Either way the Tools button is inoperable, so I'm stuck with whatever setting it expects. Not sure whether I'll find the time for this.
    Last edited by Lefty; 06-28-2019 at 20:58.
    .... just one man's opinion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2