I need the help of a mathematician.

Status
You cant just go into each thread and start to get the right answer them to inbreed it in your mind for a long period and I have to do a few of these are the last pack I can use for a while in a few more hours at a rich time to work through the process and the doors to the bathroom to the floor of my room under productions of my house we have a good time and space but we need a healer and a half.

Dude, did you ever hear of interpunction? :confused:

Ah so now you're a medical professional as well as a hunting and statistics expert.

Please stop saying anything to anyone, about anything.

Said the man who actually knows all answers in the Universe.
Who is so freaking smart, that the world started to revolve about him.

Way to go Oleg. You're the man!

Said the man who actually knows all answers in the Universe.
Who is so freaking smart, that the world started to revolve about him.

Way to go Oleg. You're the man!

It's nice of you to say that, but it really isn't true.

Ah so now you're a medical professional as well as a hunting and statistics expert.

Can I get a list of avatars who are allowed to speak?

Asking for a friend, I don't expect to be on the list myself.

Last edited:
You people REALLY ??

I ask for help with a math question and to stave off the WHY questions I told "why" upfront. ONE, that is ONE, person answered the question. Everything else was off topic. Who gives a crap if the premises where wrong I know they are wrong(anyone with half a brain can see that), but the stupid ass that has them in her office thinks they are true. As we can all see that would mean about 68% of the babies would be born unhealthy which actually about 96-97 percent are born healthy.

I wish 711 wasn't so swamped so he could cut out all the off-topic post and we would have only two left. Most of you really need to get a life past the forum, really.

Most of you really need to get a life past the forum, really.

:laugh:

Maybe you can start by giving a good example?

The fact that you ask such useless stuff on the forum says enough about you as well, right?

You people REALLY ??

I ask for help with a math question and to stave off the WHY questions I told "why" upfront. ONE, that is ONE, person answered the question. Everything else was off topic. Who gives a crap if the premises where wrong I know they are wrong(anyone with half a brain can see that), but the stupid ass that has them in her office thinks they are true. As we can all see that would mean about 68% of the babies would be born unhealthy which actually about 96-97 percent are born healthy.

I wish 711 wasn't so swamped so he could cut out all the off-topic post and we would have only two left. Most of you really need to get a life past the forum, really.

Well you posted it in general discussion, so maybe we thought the topic was up to discuss and not just give you a straight answer?? A few of the posts even advised that you haven't given enough factors for an accurate guess, and if you had read any of the other forum posts where math comes into play, you would know that there are some serious math people here (nature of this game?). So of course this thread was going to take the route it did.

I'm more surprised that you thought it would go differently???? you have been around for a while!

You people REALLY ??

Lots of people gave you as right an answer as there could be. What you are doing here is something like this:

CozMoDan: I need a mathematician! Can someone tell me why 2+2 = 5?
Mathematician: It doesn't. Let me explain why not...
CozMoDan: That's off-topic, answer my question!
Rick: Yeah that's easy, blah blah blah blah, so as you can see 2+2 = 5. And also the earth is flat and vaccines cause cancer.
CozMoDan: Thanks Rick, finally someone answered my question.

(for full realism you probably need to add someone else saying something like "actually if you do it in base 17 I think you'll find that it does")

Last edited:

I think it's foolish to simply accept political agenda funded science on face value. Even the science establishment are becoming increasing concerned with the quality of some papers passing peer review.

Besides even Einstein dismissed the big bang theory until it was finally proved some years later.

I simply contributed to the thread regarding the 80% issue. That 'percentages' are relative whatever the input data. I couldn't be bothered to add randomness to an equations because it was pointless and unnecessary.

But hey ho I don't really care, the thread was just a little bit if fun, that I smiled at when I read it. All is cool.

Rick

This thread is tragic.. You are all debating whether or not the facts are this or that. Need more specified data and so on. So quick to show off clever you all are.
You are giving CozMoDan WAAAAY too much credit. All of that is flying straight over his head.

He is not interested in debating how accurate these numbers are.

What actually is going on here is that he simply could not figure out these simple steps:
What is 80% of 100? 80, CozMoDan, its 80.
What is % is 6/7? 85%, CozMoDan, its 85%.

Now dont get too confused here, I know theres alot of numbers flying around but try follow along TrashMoDan.

Final step! Now we need to figure out how much 85% of 80! Whats that? 85 babies? No, sorry, atleast you tried. Its 68 babies. We'll keep the numbers nice and round, dont worry about decimals, thats only for elite mathematicians. Second graders and above!

Im sure someone figured out that TrashMoDan is infact simply incapable of making these first grader calculations and told him the answer but given his brilliant display of brainpower in previous threads I figured I'd hold his hand through it. :yup:

I must say TrashMoDan is the most impressive person I've stumbled upon in this game, which, if i may add: is not a small feat given some of the inhabitants of this game.
They dont come close to his highness though! Not only have he single handedly at the very least proven that not all children are born healthy. He then proceeded to somehow manage to survive to an adult age functioning like this. I applaud you, good sir!

Trump thanks you for your continued support, real recognize real as they say.

Let me know when you need help from a gourmet chef next time you want to boil some water for your noodles TrashMoMan.

I think it's foolish to simply accept political agenda funded science on face value. Even the science establishment are becoming increasing concerned with the quality of some papers passing peer review.

Besides even Einstein dismissed the big bang theory until it was finally proved some years later.

I simply contributed to the thread regarding the 80% issue. That 'percentages' are relative whatever the input data. I couldn't be bothered to add randomness to an equations because it was pointless and unnecessary.

But hey ho I don't really care, the thread was just a little bit if fun, that I smiled at when I read it. All is cool.

Rick

The big bang theory has absolutely not been proven true.. it wouldn't be a theory if so even... come on rick.

The big bang theory has absolutely not been proven true.. it wouldn't be a theory if so even... come on rick.

Fun fact! A Law requires the concept to be expressed in a mathematical equation. Some things such as the "theory" of evolution will always remain so since evolution cant be expressed neatly in an equation even though it can easily be proven lol.. I would imagine we are quite always off still from representing the creation of the universe in a an equation either..

I have met some arrogant, insulting, snide, rude, self aggrandizing, self centered, degrading, hostile, insolent, void of spirit, holier than thou assholes in this game.

But none so Tiny.

Is it your lack of certain physical characteristics, total lack of empathy for others, or are you just a shell, waiting for a soul to inhabit you some day?

This is not game related but I really am trying to figure out a real life question.

I read in a dentist's office that 80 percent of the people in the US have gum disease and that if a woman has has gum disease she only a one chance in seven of having a healthy baby.

With those two facts(?) how can one figure number of unhealthy babies out of a 100 will be born each year ? It kind of seems like about 6 babies in 7 will be unhealthy but I don't know how to apply the 80 percent factor to that.

Hope that makes enough sense so one of you smart guys can give me a number. My guess is around 78.

TIA for your help

Wow this thread has gone nuts :eyecrazy:

Ignoring the fact that the information is for sure wrong, the mathematical answer is:

% of unhealthy babies = 0.8 (% of sick women) x 6/7 (chance of unhealthy baby) = 68.6%

Ignoring the fact that the information is for sure wrong, the mathematical answer is:

% of unhealthy babies = 0.8 (% of sick women) x 6/7 (chance of unhealthy baby) = 68.6%

Try telling the others that, that was not the question I want to show the person that had this poster in her office how wrong she was mathematically. In fact when I searched the internet the number of healthy babies was stated to be 96-97 percent but a person dumb enough to post those kind of "facts" would not take my would for it, hence the need for the math. Everyone is debating the premise instead of the actual question.

It sure has. Still, it shows the chasms of divide we seem to have generally in everything from ability to willingness to levels of gratitude etc.
The OP said he had a real life question, which I guess was why respondents were so quick to highlight the factual errors instead of doing the correct mathematical steps on the bad stats. These people showed a willingness which may now be diminished, but hopefully isn't.
They may also not have taken the question itself at face value, as you don't need to be a mathematician to answer the question. Then again, learning, from whatever point reached so far, often requires the help of others, but in today's world it may require bravery to ask, especially at the low end. At least this is not the Dunning-Kruger effect in action, which I reckon is a lot more damaging. However, a bit more gratitude for those early answerers would have been nicer than what we got.
Is our species ever going to actually get to other planets, or will we succumb to gum disease?

It has been proven. Anywhere you look in the sky at any direction 3% (I think is the value) is a 'constant' background microwave noise. The two guys that found it got a Nobel prize.

The fact this measurement taken anywhere in the night sky is a 'constant' determines the validity of the big bang theory.

Where all that mass came from is another issue.

Rick

It has been proven. Anywhere you look in the sky at any direction 3% (I think is the value) is a 'constant' background microwave noise. The two guys that found it got a Nobel prize.

The fact this measurement taken anywhere in the night sky is a 'constant' determines the validity of the big bang theory.

Rick

edit: I forgot to mention as was rushing out for lunch. When Hubble (the man not telescope named after him) measured the speed of various galaxies expanding away from us, and plotted them on a graph, he noticed a correlation that they are "ALL" moving away from us at a relative speed to their distance. The nearest galaxy from us is moving away at some 30000 km a second.

That proved our entire universe was expanding at the same speed. So proves steady state was wrong.

Now if we add to that the guys that found the 3% background radiation, this proves the existence of the edge of the shockwave (or 'bubble' so to speak of the initial big bang explosion).

The real interesting thing, is a woman scientist (forget her name at mo), proved that not all elements existed at the beginning of the universe. Because she proved our sun was only made of hydrogen and helium and that only the star itself created other elements. She was ridiculed for years until she was proved right.

So this proved the universe didn't need complex elements to be created. Hence why CERN is trying to work out how quarks etc produced the mass to create protons and neutrons to go on and create hydrogen and nuclear decay to create helium.

I thought they taught this stuff at basic school.

Rick

Rick

Rick, don't be foolish.
The only prove are calculations based on theories and assumptions.

And these assumptions might very well eventually be proven wrong.

Rick, don't be foolish.
The only prove are calculations based on theories and assumptions.

And these assumptions might very well eventually be proven wrong.

Maybe but even Einstein who was a fan of stead state, accepted Hubble’s calculations. I mean if we have equal expansion wherever we look the universe must have started from something very small. Ironically Einstein added a formula to his relativity calcs to make stead state work, and later agreed that the extra calculation wasn’t necessary.

Let’s be fair gravitational waves (which hit the news was it last year) proved Einstein correct again that gravity also moves at the speed of light. Which answered more question regarding universal expansion.

Most of the physics and maths has been proved, it’s what created the big bang that is the question and where did all that mass and energy come from.

Rick

edit: I forgot to mention as was rushing out for lunch. When Hubble (the man not telescope named after him) measured the speed of various galaxies expanding away from us, and plotted them on a graph, he noticed a correlation that they are "ALL" moving away from us at a relative speed to their distance. The nearest galaxy from us is moving away at some 30000 km a second.

That proved our entire universe was expanding at the same speed. So proves steady state was wrong.

Now if we add to that the guys that found the 3% background radiation, this proves the existence of the edge of the shockwave (or 'bubble' so to speak of the initial big bang explosion).

The real interesting thing, is a woman scientist (forget her name at mo), proved that not all elements existed at the beginning of the universe. Because she proved our sun was only made of hydrogen and helium and that only the star itself created other elements. She was ridiculed for years until she was proved right.

So this proved the universe didn't need complex elements to be created. Hence why CERN is trying to work out how quarks etc produced the mass to create protons and neutrons to go on and create hydrogen and nuclear decay to create helium.

I thought they taught this stuff at basic school.

Rick
None of that proves a big bang in ANY way. It just proves the universe is expanding.

The big bang theory is simply not scientifically accepted fact. It is one of many theories at the moment, none of which are absolutely confirmed... End of story man...

This thread makes me want to ban myself from the forums...

None of that proves a big bang in ANY way. It just proves the universe is expanding.

The big bang theory is simply not scientifically accepted fact. It is one of many theories at the moment, none of which are absolutely confirmed... End of story man...

Then any counter arguement will have to justify why the universe is expanding at the same speed in all directons.

Not only that but qualify why at the edge of the known universe (as we look back in time at anicent light wave signatures) that the equations justify that spectrum of light as it's stretched (imagine a slinky toy you stretch out) is exactly the same frequency at the edige of the known universe.

I find it really fascinating, and just hope science can answer much more about the creation of the universe, before my time is up on this planet.

Have a good day I'm out.

Rick

Couldnt agree more!!

Well done! You used interpunction!! :thumbup:

Try telling the others that, that was not the question I want to show the person that had this poster in her office how wrong she was mathematically. In fact when I searched the internet the number of healthy babies was stated to be 96-97 percent but a person dumb enough to post those kind of "facts" would not take my would for it, hence the need for the math. Everyone is debating the premise instead of the actual question.

This makes the question easier to answer rather than easier to criticize, I didn't know you were trying to prove a Doctor wrong based on a "poster" in their office. Something like that requires more than math. It requires evident background of a bias. Meaning, doesn't matter if that is what the statistics say, the poster is more misleading and neglectful to the well-being and livelihood of peoples ability to grasp how to approach a situation that they are more likely to believe that there is nothing they can do about the situation rather than that there is an easy remedy. Or something along those means.
But at the same time, it seems like you are changing your results. So, I am still slightly confused.
Considerably, if a baby was born healthy, it would have been born without life threatening circumstances. Now that number may be much higher than say, the number of babies that were born and then later brought it sick and Doctors determined that the reason could have been a result of gum disease. But as I mentioned in my first comment, I don't think it is directly related to gum disease, I think it is related to the persons capability to take authority of "Care and health Standards"
Math isn't going to solve your debate. I mean, I guess it could, but not the way you are approaching it.

Then any counter arguement will have to justify why the universe is expanding at the same speed in all directons.

Not only that but qualify why at the edge of the known universe (as we look back in time at anicent light wave signatures) that the equations justify that spectrum of light as it's stretched (imagine a slinky toy you stretch out) is exactly the same frequency at the edige of the known universe.

I find it really fascinating, and just hope science can answer much more about the creation of the universe, before my time is up on this planet.

Have a good day I'm out.

Rick

It is expected that slinky would be the exact same frequency at any point of the universe, whether or not it changes is not determined on that the slinky exist in different forms in different existences, but that the environment caused the slinky to lose it's original materialistic makeup due to pressure or chemical constructs of the newly introduced environment, in turn would result in that the slinky sustained the same frequency at any point of the universe, it is just that the new environment caused it to shift. Like throwing it into the sun, the slinky still exists. It just doesn't exist in its existence anymore.

I have met some arrogant, insulting, snide, rude, self aggrandizing, self centered, degrading, hostile, insolent, void of spirit, holier than thou assholes in this game.

But none so Tiny.

Is it your lack of certain physical characteristics, total lack of empathy for others, or are you just a shell, waiting for a soul to inhabit you some day?

None of the above. I would have expected you to understand why, given your forum picture.

Speaking of which, I'd suggest stop looking in the mirror so you can finally change it to something less selfhatred-y :yup:

I must say, the irony that YOU have that picture is amazing :laugh:

Status
Back