I need the help of a mathematician.

Status

CozMoDan

Elite
Herco Coz Mann
This is not game related but I really am trying to figure out a real life question.

I read in a dentist's office that 80 percent of the people in the US have gum disease and that if a woman has has gum disease she only a one chance in seven of having a healthy baby.

With those two facts(?) how can one figure number of unhealthy babies out of a 100 will be born each year ? It kind of seems like about 6 babies in 7 will be unhealthy but I don't know how to apply the 80 percent factor to that.

Hope that makes enough sense so one of you smart guys can give me a number. My guess is around 78.

TIA for your help

You need more info. For starters, your need the % of pregnant women with gum disease who take the pregnancy full term.

You can't. Those "facts" pertain to different populations. That 80 per cent of US population has X tells nothing about the percentage of females of reproductive age having X, and nothing about the percentage of pregnant females having X.

Meaningless scare tactic by the dentists, impossible to calculate actual odds.

1. No proportion given for gum disease in men to women
2. No proportion given for women of childbearing age
3. No mention of the percentage of women of childbearing age that have gum disease

If gum disease has a higher prevalence in poorer populations then it is likely this will increase the percentage of unhealthy births.
However if it is more prevalent in older women who are past their child bearing years or more prevalent in men, then the percentage of unhealthy babies will fall.

To calculate any meaningful statistic requires all the facts not a sound bite (or in this case many unhealthy bites)

Gum disease appears to have a high correlation to heart disease and dementia in both men and women, and while the exact reason is still a matter of research, the statistics mean a lot of money is going into the how and why.
Since that would affect both men and women we should all respect our bodies and take care of our mouths. After all a tooth brush and toothpaste (first line of defence) are not expensive. Avoiding sugary drinks and foods even simpler and cheaper.

3. No mention of the percentage of women of childbearing age that have gum disease

If gum disease has a higher prevalence in poorer populations then it is likely this will increase the percentage of unhealthy births.
However if it is more prevalent in older women who are past their child bearing years or more prevalent in men, then the percentage of unhealthy babies will fall.

To calculate any meaningful statistic requires all the facts not a sound bite (or in this case many unhealthy bites)

Gum disease appears to have a high correlation to heart disease and dementia in both men and women, and while the exact reason is still a matter of research, the statistics mean a lot of money is going into the how and why.
Since that would affect both men and women we should all respect our bodies and take care of our mouths. After all a tooth brush and toothpaste (first line of defence) are not expensive. Avoiding sugary drinks and foods even simpler and cheaper.

Perfect answer..

Also, I highly doubt 80% ( seems a bit high ) have gum disease in USA ..Seems like fake news or crap to me. IMHO ( only thing I seen was incarcerated mother study)

Last edited:

it's funny that most of them believe that fluoride reduces cavities and are ok with it in our drinking water. maybe they secretly want the population stupid so they can keep charging exorbitant prices.

There is help needed here.....but not from a mathematician :D

Meaningless scare tactic by the dentists, .

The only correct answer.

It was probably an advertorial in which you have read.
Those are adds disguised as scientific journals.

Rubbish of course.

how can one figure number of unhealthy babies out of a 100 will be born each year ?

I suggest you read this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6191679/

Periodontal disease (PD) is an inflammatory disease of the tissues supporting the teeth. PD affects 65 million adults over the age of 30 years in the USA (1–4), and worldwide 5 to 70% of adults. These percentages differ according to the geographical area and the definition of PD (5). Women who develop PD during pregnancy, it’s estimated 1 woman in 5, may have a higher risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes (APOs) (6, 7).

A higher risk doesn't give you an exact number, but if you dive into "6, 7" (see the links there), you might have an estimated guess. Thanks for the question, had an interesting search and read :)

This is not game related but I really am trying to figure out a real life question.

I read in a dentist's office that 80 percent of the people in the US have gum disease and that if a woman has has gum disease she only a one chance in seven of having a healthy baby.

With those two facts(?) how can one figure number of unhealthy babies out of a 100 will be born each year ? It kind of seems like about 6 babies in 7 will be unhealthy but I don't know how to apply the 80 percent factor to that.

Hope that makes enough sense so one of you smart guys can give me a number. My guess is around 78.

TIA for your help

Well 80% of people, also means 80% of women, or 80% or carrying mothers. So that assumes 80% of babies will have mothers with gum disease.

So 80 babies from 100 mothers. Divide 80 by 7 = 11.42 healthy babies.

11.42 x 6 = 68.57 unhealthy babies.

Check 11.42 + 68.57 = 80 rounded.

Edit: you could then add 20 babies to the healthy count.

So 20 + 11.42 = 31.42 healthy babies from 100 (or 31.42%)
And 68.57 unhealthy babies from 100 (or 68.57%)

It's all generalisation of course. But on plain maths that should do it.

Rick.

Last edited:
I read in a dentist's office that 80 percent of the people in the US have gum disease.

Dentists need to make a lot of money to pay off their debt and pay for the insurance. Naturally, the world will surely end if you do not visit the dentist, and pay them to make sure that you...the poor American with one the best worldwide health records in all of human history, do not die.

On another note, there are billions of people worldwide that never saw a dentist until they were created just a couple hundred years ago, and still millions today in many parts of the world who have no idea what a dentist is. Keep in mind also that Americans now consume sugar in massive amounts, partly promoted by special interest groups like the dentists association.

In simple terms, most anything you read in the US is propaganda designed to get you to spend more money.

Save all of these issues and get them pulled. No more gum disease. No more dentist bill. No more sick babies. And yes, this is what I did 15 years ago...no regrets, much less painful, and sooo much cheaper. Plastic-ish teeth never rot, never need a root canal. The poisons that leech into your body from tooth decay, can have lasting effects, and most dentists I know are were not very good students...they can drink like fish though.

As tempting as it is to stop and want to save the poor children (who are healthier now than ever in history)...stop giving into the fear people create to get you to buy things.

TIA for your help

Also some other factors to consider in the success of having a healthy baby:
1. If the mother has had a perception gain while having contractions around 5 minutes apart, the chance of a healthy baby increases.

2. If the mother's doctor is an employee of Minda.. I mean... a member of the family, the chance of having a healthy baby increases.

3. If the mother has deposited ped in the last several days... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. Where can I buy a dentistry kit in game? :D

Well 80% of people, also means 80% of women, or 80% or carrying mothers. So that assumes 80% of babies will have mothers with gum disease.

So 80 babies from 100 mothers. Divide 80 by 7 = 11.42 healthy babies.

11.42 x 6 = 68.57 unhealthy babies.

Check 11.42 + 68.57 = 80 rounded.

Edit: you could then add 20 babies to the healthy count.

So 20 + 11.42 = 31.42 healthy babies from 100 (or 31.42%)
And 68.57 unhealthy babies from 100 (or 68.57%)

It's all generalisation of course. But on plain maths that should do it.

Rick.

Rick THANKS, you are the only one that just answered the question. It appears that mostly everyone else wanted a discussion about the statement. I don't care about the statement because I think it is BS anyway, kind of like one's grandmother telling you if you masturbate you will go blind. It was just a simple question and the reason for it is when I go back to the one at the office who was actually offended when I read that and "Wow what load of crap", and say " Mathematically speaking, that is telling me that almost 69 percent of babies born in the US are unhealthy and that is not true". Actually the percent of healthy babies born each year in the US 96-97 percent.

Rick THANKS, you are the only one that just answered the question. It appears that mostly everyone else wanted a discussion about the statement. I don't care about the statement because I think it is BS anyway, kind of like one's grandmother telling you if you masturbate you will go blind. It was just a simple question and the reason for it is when I go back to the one at the office who was actually offended when I read that and "Wow what load of crap", and say " Mathematically speaking, that is telling me that almost 69 percent of babies born in the US are unhealthy and that is not true". Actually the percent of healthy babies born each year in the US 96-97 percent.

No, it's not th right answer.

The answer is based upon assumptions.

80% of the people doesnt automatically mean 80% of the pregnant women.
That's an assumption.

You could also assume that pregnant women take better care and the % in that target group is much lower.

So, any answer could be correct since you miss a huge amount of details to make a correct calculation.

No, it's not the right answer.

Yeah. I almost wrote an answer along the lines of: if this were an exam question that didn't care about the real world, then ... - and then I would have done the maths like Rick did in order to show the rather crazy answer that you'd get. So thank you Rick as well, as I didn't get round to answering...

if a woman has has gum disease she only a one chance in seven of having a healthy baby.

Well since this is EU, lets gamble and see what happens:

Goes to "construction" machine with 7 clicks of Make Baby Blueprint(L):

1) Unhealthy
2) Unhealthy
3) Unhealthy
4) Unhealthy
5) Unheathly
6) Unheathly
7) Unheathly

Hmm guess that didn't play out like we expected....don't worry just need more attempts :wise:

That's an assumption.

You could also assume that pregnant women take better care and the % in that target group is much lower.

So, any answer could be correct since you miss a huge amount of details to make a correct calculation.

I can see that I just should have said 80 % have a 1 in 7 chance of a hit, how many hits would that equal in 100. I have never seen so many try to make so much out of so little. There was only one person that answered the question, everyone else just argued about nothing. Sorry but really, this was BS in a dentist's office to try to get more business plain and simple and I called BS to the person working on me.

Rick THANKS, you are the only one that just answered the question.

I mean, it's about the wrongest answer you'll ever hear, but I suppose, in a way, he did...

TIA for your help

I think the having gum disease is unrelated to whether the baby will be healthy, I think it is that since a women has gum disease, they are more unlikely to take care of themselves during pregnancy, which results in the babies not being healthy. Or maybe that they won't encourage the baby or be very progressive to the idea of taking care of the baby at a 100% scale. One in seven of having a healthy baby as you said is the likelihood
that the women will realize they have not been taking care of themselves or that they need to take better care of themselves for the well being of either themselves and/or the baby. 80% of people is a little risky too, because a doctor wouldn't know if someone with healthy gums had them or not because people don't go to the Doctor if something isn't wrong with them, thus the result is never recorded.
But also, if you have gum disease, your mouth might still be nasty, and that air goes directly into your lungs which is the main component of what determines how the chemicals in your body react to maintaining your bodies immunity/health. This increases a lot of different factors, the willingness to take better care of oneself.... Or, eh.

Allow me to clear up this murky concept.

Humans have, under their tongue, "sublinqual glands". These glands absorb anything in the mouth (bacteria, virus, etc) directly into your system.

That is why doctors administer certain emergency drugs under the tongue - for nearly instant effects.

If someone has a gum disease, doesn't properly clean their teeth/mouth and develop any type of mouth disease, the bacteria/virus will be transmitter directly to the patient's blood stream.

Many cardiac anomalies stem directly from lack of oral hygiene. And this will, thereby, effect a fetus.

If you're pregnant or going to be, your FIRST AND FOREMOST thoughts should be this: WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU HAPPENS TO THE BABY.

If you eat crap, drink crap, smoke (anything), so does your unborn child. So if you have poor oral hygiene, you are putting poisons directly into your baby, which will show up in underdeveloped brain function, cardiac, musculature and bone development.

This isn't magic. You KNOW if you preform proper oral hygiene and you don't need to figure out statistics and wonder "will I be the one that gets into trouble?" You already know the answer.

To be safe, do NOT use any "modern" toothpaste, especially those with fluoride in them (rat poison). Get something like this stuff

Take care of yourself and you take care of your baby. Harm yourself and you harm the baby.

Well since this is EU, lets gamble and see what happens:

Goes to "construction" machine with 7 clicks of Make Baby Blueprint(L):

1) Unhealthy
2) Unhealthy
3) Unhealthy
4) Unhealthy
5) Unheathly
6) Unheathly
7) Unheathly

Hmm guess that didn't play out like we expected....don't worry just need more attempts :wise:

Is she having birth on condition or quantity?

Humans have, under their tongue, "sublinqual glands". These glands absorb anything in the mouth (bacteria, virus, etc) directly into your system.

The reason some drugs get absorbed so fast under the tongue is because the lingual epithelial tissue is so thin, the medication diffuses right through it and goes into your blood stream via sublingual vein and artery and is readily available in systemic circulation. It bypasses digestive system, and liver and goes straight home. The swallow route is: most of medication gets absorbed in small intestine and goes to liver via hepatic portal veins, then from liver to inferior vena cava (i might be forgetting a step in between), now you are in systemic circulation - this takes time). Sublingual glands merely produce saliva and act as a lymphatic organ (combat bacteria and virus you mentioned). While glands are supplied by lingual arteries, the glands are not the reason stuff gets absorbed into the bloodstream - thickness of the epithelial tissue is.

The reason some drugs get absorbed so fast under the tongue is because the lingual epithelial tissue is so thin, the medication diffuses right through it and goes into your blood stream via sublingual vein and artery and is readily available in systemic circulation. It bypasses digestive system, and liver and goes straight home. The swallow route is: most of medication gets absorbed in small intestine and goes to liver via hepatic portal veins, then from liver to inferior vena cava (i might be forgetting a step in between), now you are in systemic circulation - this takes time). Sublingual glands merely produce saliva and act as a lymphatic organ (combat bacteria and virus you mentioned). While glands are supplied by lingual arteries, the glands are not the reason stuff gets absorbed into the bloodstream - thickness of the epithelial tissue is.

Hey I know about that gland, you all talk about it weird though, not sci-ency and stuff. Just kind of like a quick guess.
Though the sci-ency answer might seem more like a quick guess. But what I am talking about is, this spot under the tongue is also where your body provides the mouth/body the acidic liquid *Saliva* That manipulates reaction to internal organs. Such as how our body is 60-70%. But it is these kinds of sciences that people more often than not either ignore or choose to not believe in even though it is the most blatant. Careful observation is not a bad thing though, but to each their own, are are independent bodies, not spiritual wisps. Though we are technically made up of the universe"all things" "Gods image", star dust "Universe dust", so the Imagination is actually extremely reactive with the promotion and stability of growth when it comes to "Anatomy and Physiology" or psychology...

Last edited:
Hey I know about that gland, you all talk about it weird though, not sci-ency and stuff. Just kind of like a quick guess.
Though the sci-ency answer might seem more like a quick guess. But what I am talking about is, this spot under the tongue is also where your body provides the mouth/body the acidic liquid *Saliva* That manipulates reaction to internal organs. Such as how our body is 60-70%. But it is these kinds of sciences that people more often than not either ignore or choose to not believe in even though it is the most blatant. Careful observation is not a bad thing though, but to each their own, are are independent bodies, not spiritual wisps. Though we are technically made up of the universe"all things" "Gods image", star dust "Universe dust", so the Imagination is actually extremely reactive with the promotion and stability of growth when it comes to "Anatomy and Physiology" or psychology...
You cant just go into each thread and start to get the right answer them to inbreed it in your mind for a long period and I have to do a few of these are the last pack I can use for a while in a few more hours at a rich time to work through the process and the doors to the bathroom to the floor of my room under productions of my house we have a good time and space but we need a healer and a half.

Also, your not supposed to swallow toothpaste or mouthwash and you are supposed to train your body how to reject poisons not take on poisons when you extract something from your body.
But I do think I recollect something about women who are pregnant using toothpaste that doesn't have fluoride, it is supposed to inhibit the acknowledgement and keep the baby safe from unknowingly overdosing on fluoride, which can cause problems, sure.

That's an assumption.

Sure, although any statistics with a political agenda are biased anyway.

When I read health reports that suggest sugar is 'toxic', when it's scientific fact sugar us not a toxin, it's not deserving of further thought.

Or reports that smoking causes meningitis. That is actually included on the UK Govs anti smoking website. Again i lose interest, since meningitis is a virus. Some of these people need sacking, but hey ho the authorities have an agenda and many people are sheep.

Smiles Rick.

Or reports that smoking causes meningitis. That is actually included on the UK Govs anti smoking website. Again i lose interest, since meningitis is a virus. Some of these people need sacking, but hey ho the authorities have an agenda and many people are sheep.

Ah so now you're a medical professional as well as a hunting and statistics expert.

Please stop saying anything to anyone, about anything.

Status
Back