PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reputation really is everything

Hi all,

This is my first official post but I hope it will serve as a word of warning for new players for years to come. We always tell new players how to play but we rarely stress how important your reputation is in EU. And yet I see new players every day who destroy their own reputation before they even have a chance to really get into the game.

I can forgive some things new players do simply because they don’t yet understand the game.

But then I see other players who are deliberately taking advantage of people or worse blatantly lying.

I won’t mention any names because I don’t have to. Reputation is that important. But a short list of some career Enders I’ve seen lately:

Someone offering 2 ped/ K sweat but you have to fly to Arkadia with them to get paid.
    Same player as above selling 5 useless classified strongboxes for 60 ped and offering to include keys even though the keys are account bound and non tradeable.

Yesterday someone was selling technician available blueprints which cost 1 pec for 50 pec each.

My absolute favorite: new player try’s to beat my system, I catch him (after paying him over 40 ped) and tell him I’ll pay him the additional 44 ped he’s wanting so long as he waits the appropriate amount of time to be sure everything stands as legit since he showed me proof that he was cheating my system. What does this person do?

They decide to try and call me out as the one in the wrong. Players who have played for any amount of time take screen shots of EVERYTHING they have many friends who know their reputation well.

A new player who tries to scam others, tries to bash the reputation of a longer term player etc is simply cutting their own throat. They are ending their career before it even gets off the ground.

I love Eu. Great game (generally) great people and you can even make some money playing. But it’s also a game of reputation and it’s easy for new players to destroy theirs before they ever get started.

What have you seen that ended someone’s career before it got off the ground and what can we do to warn new players?
    Last edited by Ubernoob; 07-08-2019 at 19:28.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Killahbee Killer Bee Killahbee
    Society
    Silly Underground Family
    Images
    I stopped reading after the word "sweat"

You created your account
    2004-12-21.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    George Ace Skywalker
    Society
    Guess Who
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good advice ubernoob

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Jo Aloisius Smith
    Society
    Natural Born Killers
    Blog Entries
    Images
    don't call MA retarded in a support case.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    In the Refrigerator, Behind the Mayonnaise, Next to the Ketchup, and to the Left of the Cole Slaw
    Bare BareBones Bones
    Society
    Skillin Villains
    Images
    I have to say , I have given my own children this advice on integrity while using the internet.

Approach how you treat others on the web as if you are speaking to them face to face. The reason behind this is to protect yourself , not from being caught , but from changing how you are as a person. Eventually repeated dishonest behavior will turn you to a dishonest and low integrity person if you repeat it enough , whether you are anonymous or not.

Up to this point they have made me proud.

Not meant to be preachy.
    Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
    11 October 1884 Ė 7 November 1962

I agree itís good advice not just in game but in real life but in game is even more important. What amazes me is over how little money people are willing to throw away their entire reputation. Over a few sweat? Making 50 pec off a blueprint? Over $5 earned on a website.

If you want to throw away everything your name is worth at least do something impressive. Why would I ever trade with someone who is known to be a liar? Someone who is known to have stolen from another player?

There is no deal good enough to get me to do business with such people.

And Iím not talking about ignorance. We were all dumb when it came to Eu once. Most of us still are. Thatís exactly why I call myself ubernoob. But thereís a big diff in a lil ignorance and a lotta greed.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Sub-Zero The Killer
    Society
    Guess Who
    Images
    I stopped reading after I read the title and saw that wall of text

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Magnus Svarog
    Society
    freelancer
    Images
    The truth is, all these little silly shenanigans are performed by people who never had any reputation to lose and who wouldn't stick around for long enough to care. But the really big and elaborate scams are done using alts, so after been screwed you might end up being comforted by the very guy who did it, under different name. Reputation is worth only so much when you can't unambiguously link every name to every person.

The only solution that works, trust no one who doesn't sit next to you irl.

Svarg youíre totally right. In fact when this person started bashing me over 50 ped (which i had already paid him even though Iíll get stuck with the chargeback) my first thought is theyíll be gone in a week. It did cross my mind that it could be an alt, maybe even one of my competitors trying to trash me in an effort to stop me, but I really think itís just someone who will be done soon and never heard from again.

The few bad apples have a habit of ruining it for everyone.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Darth Reven Reborn
    Society
    Love Craft Academy
    Images
    Auction House doesn't care about reputation...only prices. Sure you can have a bad rep and some people will decide to not trade/buy from you...but if the price is right, those same people will eventually put that aside "just this once" to get a bargain, and then do it again and again. Plus there are plenty of others who you have never met and have never met you, they don't care about your rep, just that they can get an item for a good price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast