Reputation really is everything

Ubernoob

Old
Banned
Hi all,

This is my first official post but I hope it will serve as a word of warning for new players for years to come. We always tell new players how to play but we rarely stress how important your reputation is in EU. And yet I see new players every day who destroy their own reputation before they even have a chance to really get into the game.

I can forgive some things new players do simply because they don’t yet understand the game.

But then I see other players who are deliberately taking advantage of people or worse blatantly lying.

I won’t mention any names because I don’t have to. Reputation is that important. But a short list of some career Enders I’ve seen lately:

Someone offering 2 ped/ K sweat but you have to fly to Arkadia with them to get paid.
Same player as above selling 5 useless classified strongboxes for 60 ped and offering to include keys even though the keys are account bound and non tradeable.

Yesterday someone was selling technician available blueprints which cost 1 pec for 50 pec each.

My absolute favorite: new player try’s to beat my system, I catch him (after paying him over 40 ped) and tell him I’ll pay him the additional 44 ped he’s wanting so long as he waits the appropriate amount of time to be sure everything stands as legit since he showed me proof that he was cheating my system. What does this person do?

They decide to try and call me out as the one in the wrong. Players who have played for any amount of time take screen shots of EVERYTHING they have many friends who know their reputation well.

A new player who tries to scam others, tries to bash the reputation of a longer term player etc is simply cutting their own throat. They are ending their career before it even gets off the ground.

I love Eu. Great game (generally) great people and you can even make some money playing. But it’s also a game of reputation and it’s easy for new players to destroy theirs before they ever get started.

What have you seen that ended someone’s career before it got off the ground and what can we do to warn new players?

Last edited:
I have to say , I have given my own children this advice on integrity while using the internet.

Approach how you treat others on the web as if you are speaking to them face to face. The reason behind this is to protect yourself , not from being caught , but from changing how you are as a person. Eventually repeated dishonest behavior will turn you to a dishonest and low integrity person if you repeat it enough , whether you are anonymous or not.

Up to this point they have made me proud.

Not meant to be preachy.

I agree it’s good advice not just in game but in real life but in game is even more important. What amazes me is over how little money people are willing to throw away their entire reputation. Over a few sweat? Making 50 pec off a blueprint? Over $5 earned on a website.

If you want to throw away everything your name is worth at least do something impressive. Why would I ever trade with someone who is known to be a liar? Someone who is known to have stolen from another player?

There is no deal good enough to get me to do business with such people.

And I’m not talking about ignorance. We were all dumb when it came to Eu once. Most of us still are. That’s exactly why I call myself ubernoob. But there’s a big diff in a lil ignorance and a lotta greed.

I stopped reading after I read the title and saw that wall of text :)

The truth is, all these little silly shenanigans are performed by people who never had any reputation to lose and who wouldn't stick around for long enough to care. But the really big and elaborate scams are done using alts, so after been screwed you might end up being comforted by the very guy who did it, under different name. Reputation is worth only so much when you can't unambiguously link every name to every person.

The only solution that works, trust no one who doesn't sit next to you irl.

Svarg you’re totally right. In fact when this person started bashing me over 50 ped (which i had already paid him even though I’ll get stuck with the chargeback) my first thought is they’ll be gone in a week. It did cross my mind that it could be an alt, maybe even one of my competitors trying to trash me in an effort to stop me, but I really think it’s just someone who will be done soon and never heard from again.

The few bad apples have a habit of ruining it for everyone.

Auction House doesn't care about reputation...only prices. Sure you can have a bad rep and some people will decide to not trade/buy from you...but if the price is right, those same people will eventually put that aside "just this once" to get a bargain, and then do it again and again. Plus there are plenty of others who you have never met and have never met you, they don't care about your rep, just that they can get an item for a good price.

Bad apples going rotten and off the game very fast ;) As about harrasment behavior in game, if there is, I suggest ignoring 'em or in the bottom line there is the option of report.

Funny how this game came right when Nigeria's University of Economics was polishing it's Queen Sheba and Nelson Mandela course. I fell for one scam where this guy offered to upgrade my armor.

I just bought a set of gremlin. Obvious clue, I realize now, nube with PED. Tells me he's got to put it in this machine. So we went over to a crafting machine and I give him a peice. Alarm bells didn't go off strong enough when he told me he has to put them all in the machine. So I gave it all too him. And waited. Rude that the socksucker didn't log out.

I made a support case. All trades are final, was the response. That's when I found out about the Nigerian University of Economics and their RL scamming courses. It was years later that I found out that it's policy in a certain religion to rob anyone not affiliated.

Mulder was right, trust no one. And I would add, not even yourself.

ps There is no actual university but, there was and probably still is, a university level training operation which was the originator of the named scams.

Last edited:
Spawn: I own a system that allows players to earn ped. It would be against goin tou to advertise it so I’ll leave it at that.

Raven had a great point also but personally a few ped here and there just isn’t worth it for me to deal with some people. I’d be triple checking the trade windows, item tt and questioning the entire thing. Not worth the headache. 1/2 off a land area may tempt me but most items in game it would have to be a massive discount for me to deal with certain people.

And yes the upgrading gremlin armor story is horrible. What’s sad is there will always be someone willing to shaft someone for a few dollars.

Rl is even worse. I’ve seen people get 10 years in prison over a 500$ scam. They say crime doesn’t pay and maybe it pays a few bucks here and ther but generally the sayings true.

Toker lost a valuable gun and amp with the all trades final policy but you really can’t blame ma for that one imagine their work load if it was any other way

Trust nobody in this game. Check every information and tip you will receive again and again. Do not lend anyone anything or demand anything. Let others advise you, but make your own decisions and go you own way. :wise:

A post about trust and reputation from someone who won't tell us who they are? :laugh:

Spawn: I own a system that allows players to earn ped. It would be against goin tou to advertise it so I’ll leave it at that.

Raven had a great point also but personally a few ped here and there just isn’t worth it for me to deal with some people. I’d be triple checking the trade windows, item tt and questioning the entire thing. Not worth the headache. 1/2 off a land area may tempt me but most items in game it would have to be a massive discount for me to deal with certain people.

And yes the upgrading gremlin armor story is horrible. What’s sad is there will always be someone willing to shaft someone for a few dollars.

Rl is even worse. I’ve seen people get 10 years in prison over a 500$ scam. They say crime doesn’t pay and maybe it pays a few bucks here and ther but generally the sayings true.

Toker lost a valuable gun and amp with the all trades final policy but you really can’t blame ma for that one imagine their work load if it was any other way

Just wondering. You talk all about reputation. But why hide your in-game name???

What are your posts worth if you don't even tell us who you are???

It makes this entire thread pointless.

Back