Dev Notes #20 - Mission System

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
[h=2]Dev Notes #20 - Mission System[/h] Hunting Mission System

Since the Entropia Universe mission system was introduced in VU 10.8.0, there have been continuous updates to the system to increase usability, improve features and expand into new areas of gameplay.

With the original introduction of the mission system, there were only five missions available; this number has grown over the years to more than 4000 missions currently available in Entropia Universe. In this Dev Notes article we’d like to inform you of our plans for the most significant overhaul of the mission system to date, which is planned for release in the third quarter (Q3) of 2019.

Planet Calypso will be the first planet to introduce the new mission system. The other Planet Partners will transition to the new system soon afterwards, once any issues are resolved and any necessary tweaks and adjustments are implemented.

Main Features
  • Hunting within a team or participating in a Shared Loot event will now reward all contributing participants relevant progression in their missions based on relative contribution (whether the contribution is made by damage dealing, healing, or scanning).
  • Missions requiring kills of a specific creature will automatically begin whenever a qualifying creature is killed, removing the need to first interact with an NPC or mission terminal.
  • Once a mission stage is completed, an interface will appear with reward(s). The next mission stage will automatically begin, even if you decide to choose rewards for the preceding stage at a later time.

Bestiary
The Bestiary is where you will find all relevant information regarding your avatar’s current progression in Hunting Challenge missions.

Implementation
As this is a completely new system that will replace the current mission system, progress in existing missions unfortunately cannot be carried over into the new system. Therefore, we are taking this opportunity to give all participants an alert to the upcoming changes several months in advance so that they have time to complete any active missions.

There will also be a grace period where both the new and old systems will work in tandem, during which time kills on qualifying creatures will result in progress on both the old and new versions of the Hunting Challenge missions. This grace period will extend approximately one year from the implementation of the new mission system.

Example
You have the current “Iron Atrox IV” mission active. After the implementation of the new mission system, for each kill of a qualifying Atrox creature, you will receive progress on the new Atrox Hunting Challenge mission as well as on the legacy "Iron Atrox IV" mission. If you fulfill the requirements for the Iron Atrox IV mission during the grace period, you will receive the usual reward, but you will not be able to begin the legacy Iron Atrox V mission. Instead, you will automatically receive the next stage of the (new system) Atrox Hunting Challenge mission.​

When the one year grace period has elapsed, all missions from the old system will be disabled for all participants. Progress will no longer be possible for the deprecated missions, and uncompleted missions will not provide any rewards.

There will be a similar grace period of one year from the implementation of the new mission system for Planet Partners. More info and specific dates will be provided as the Planet Partner implementation draws nearer.

Originally Posted Here

Last edited by a moderator:
Finaly shared killpoints for teamhunts, this has been asked for so many times :)
Also nice to fuck up my progress on missions...

Edit: If it's true that all mission progress is gone, that means over 9 years of grinding missions for nothing. It will be the final step to the EXIT door for me.

Last edited:
This is a fantastic change that many of us have been asking for, for quite a long time. Thank you!

Edit: Alright now that I've had my cup of coffee I just realized how stupid it is for us to lose our current progress. Why do we need to lose it anyways? Surely the points could get converted over?

Last edited:
Finaly shared killpoints for teamhunts, this has been asked for so many times :)

UMM how about FINALLY MA HAS DONE IT. So almost every mission I'm in I'm like half done. I'll have 3 months or less to kill like 1000000 creatrues or loose my progress??

Silver Longtooth?
Bronze Atrox?
Supreme Rexexlum and Leviathan?
Iron Argonaut V

For me those are some of the worst losses. I cannot do all of them in 3 months. Probably not even before 2020.

this is a huge spit in the face. This grace period is not enough time. Either give us MUCH longer or go shove this game up your @ss. You will loose many players mark my words. This is a huge insult to Planet Partners as well, their missions are already more "current" than the old ones.

GIVE US GRACE OR CHIP ME OUT

This is a fantastic change that many of us have been asking for, for quite a long time. Thank you!

Yea I been asking to loose all my current progress for a long time...............................

woot I think I am like 9000/10000 fef iron. must start grinding fast

Finally after 28 years some logic and common sense.
Thanks

People shuld get emails about this... im small player, hunter only and i have a about 5 big missions in the middle.

Cant imagine big players doing hunting+mining...

Perhaps button "finish the mission now" and taking % of progress as a reward could work?

This is so utter bullsh*t I′d like to puke. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

What are you guys thinking.

You are hurting all the small-fry players massively.

I myself will lose, don′t know, like half of my long time mission efforts. :mad:

And no way to dodge the bullet, ′cause excessive grinding loses you extra money and fast and besides that it is ofc a question of time. How are we supposed to get through like 150 missions in progress within a few months as the average John/Jane Doe player.

Are you ppl that incompetent at programming and game design that you can′t write a few routines to just carry standings over from the old to the new system.

Who the f*ck thought that up. :rocket:

»Grace period,« my arse...

Last edited:
Probably the worst idea since explosive projectiles.

Missions requiring kills of a specific creature will automatically begin whenever a qualifying creature is killed, removing the need to first interact with an NPC or mission terminal.

As if "colonist jumpsuit" wasn't intrusive enough.

Now the sh... er, stuff will pop up on our screens every time we kill some random agro.

This massive rip off by MA is a surprise for you guys? Did you actually think MA, after phuquing up nearly EVERYTHING they've "upgraded" in the past decade, would do anything to really help us? geez.

This single act will wipe millions and millions of owed PEDs worth of skill off their balance sheet.

It's gotten to the point that every time any rep from MA opens their mouth to "tell us how it's going to get better", I see nothing but another nail in the coffin of failed game play.

Don't piss down my back and call it rain.

This is also extremely bad for new player retention.

Most new guys don't understand missions are optional, they think they're a "must". They also try to handle mobs well over their heads on a regular basis.

So an OJ has just overpowered that atrax, perhaps coming back from revival two or three times... and you tell them "now go and kill 99 more".

They'll just quit instead.

Is MA low on cash or what? Seems like they try to get people in panic so they depo and try to finish missions. :D
There are some end missions I will not be able to finish, total waste of depo I guess. No way I will depo more
just to see that only were able to finish 95%... :D :silly2:
To be a bit more serious: As mentioned earlier, why not code it so we get reward based on per cent finished?

Sorry but mindark isnt it possible to make it so that you can finish all old missions you accepted that have at least 1 kill done but after this you can not get the next stage of the old missions and must switch to the new mission system and keep this up as long as it takes ?

Alternativly offer a 5% bigger reward for the new mission system and most people will only complete old missions with heavy progress done and abandon the ones without much progress without much complaining. Give us choice

Oh no my aurlis !!! Now I gotta complete the mission instead of being a slacker for years lol :laugh:

Changes look good, I hope that for once you take the time to test everything properly... please.

Nice, time to finish some missions then :thumbup:

no respecto for players

If this would happen now I would loose around 250k kills/killpoints that tool years and a lot of deposits to make... I can't finish them till then. Grace period should be letting ppl finish missions that are undegoing. This is a rip off.

Good to see improvements in the works. Part of me wishes I had completed a few iron missions to get the Agility tokens, as I had always taken for granted that they would always be there. The other part of me says "honestly if it wasn't worth doing before, it won't be worth doing later" and that much still rings true.
Hopefully the new mission system is more enticing.

On the plus side:
Yes will be nice if all get credit to skill counts for shared loot or team kills
Yes will be nice to not have to go pick up (or forget to pick up) missions
But: Why do healers get a skill for hunting because they contribute when they are already getting heal skills
Why the hell do scanners get a hunt skill when someone else shoots it in a shared loot area - that is plain nonsense and will lead to hunters suffering 'tag alongs' getting in the way (there will be tears)

Negatives
1 month overlap not nearly enough.
Many players probably the vast majority have unfinished missions, many of which they will be unable to complete in the given timescale. That they then lose the time and ped spent to get those kills/kill points is simple unadulterated theft. Compensation is due or time to complete.. come on MA or do you really want to see a mass exodus from game after years of trying to persuade us some of your crappier changes are to ensure player retention
If you can do one month why not 3 or 6 months, over that time period people will gradually migrate to new system as old mission levels reach completion
Or.. why not compensate with say 1/4 or 1/2 of mission reward based on points earned

What about annual missions (Migration for example), I am 1/3 the way through my Silver LT mission, time and ped make it doubtful I could complete in next 6 weeks, so I shall have to give up and lose all that time ped and effort, thx for that slap in the face

and as usual Caly first Planets later
Makes sense. . yeh in a way, means it is tested on biggest planet (how about using test servers - duh!!)
3rd quarter. . hmm means that as well as migration we now have people rushing to Calypso to complete missions.. server lag, no surely not
Less income for Planet Partners.. hell yeah
Fuck up of missions and endless updates for fixes. . yes ofc, just as the Planet Partners do their autumn events

I strongly urge a rethink over how this is implemented and when, we the players are your customers, you may think you have the power to do what you want, how you want and when you want.. but heads up we can and will go play something else if you piss us off too much. Lets not have another vu9/10 screw up please

As is usual only examples used are for hunting..yet it says all mission. Miners beware some of your missions take simply ages

My confidence as an investor just hit an all time low..

Will this new shiny feature delay your work on finishing the Company Share System?

I ask because you said shares would be tradable by september, and it is getting close...

Losing progress sucks, totally agree.

I like this system anyways, as it makes overall play better and surely will result in more team activity like in old days.

My question is, is it just for hunting or is it also for mining ?

I dont see the problem, you get double mission rewards for a few months.
if you cant finish the missions you really wanted the reward from in 6 months or whatever idk what you're doing rofl

Will this new shiny feature delay your work on finishing the Company Share System?

I ask because you said shares would be tradable by september, and it is getting close...

and you can bet space development will get pushed back yet again

disheartened , dismayed , disalosioned, dissapionted

seriously after taking 200k caly only kill points away from my progress and 50% to like 9 stamina points id seriously think about accepting another mission at all ,

in the notes you say your giving us fair warning to complete missions before implementation were are not all messi and cant complete years of work 100s thousands of peds in several mnths but wait u say several mnths warning but your implementing this in the 3rd quarter of this year ,,,

if my maths correct that's like 3 mnths away ,, not several ,, maybe this plan should be implemented in the 3rd quarter next year and give us players who have stuck by the game devoted our hard earned money and everything else into Entropia a real chance to finnish some of those hard earned rewards.

that's my two pecs please don't make this the last of them

bangfap

I dont see the problem, you get double mission rewards for a few months.
if you cant finish the missions you really wanted the reward from in 6 months or whatever idk what you're doing rofl

u really need to read it again

Example
You have the current “Iron Atrox IV” mission active. After the implementation of the new mission system, for each kill of a qualifying Atrox creature, you will receive progress on the new Atrox Hunting Challenge mission as well as on the legacy "Iron Atrox IV" mission. If you fulfill the requirements for the Iron Atrox IV mission during the grace period, you will receive the usual reward, but you will not be able to begin the legacy Iron Atrox V mission. Instead, you will automatically receive the next stage of the (new system) Atrox Hunting Challenge mission.

nice idea mindark, but i really suggest that before you fuck up something new, maybe finish all the old issues and deliver the promised things before, hmmm?

or do you really prefer to not fix and not deliver, and rather piss off 90% off the playerbase again? :scratch2:

Back