Dev Notes #20 - Mission System

Hmm seems ppl care much about skills. Very much unexpected.

Would you rather have biggest skill ever and become a looser?
Or little to no skill and yet profiting? What would you have picked?

I do understand the frustration and is kinda bad move from MA to not be able to merge those two old and new missions.

Are mining invovled in this too btw? What about the dailies?

R

Here's my personal thoughts on this subject.

I don't mind if MA wants to make a new system to replace the iron missions. I suspect that it will work very much the same way as the "mayhem daily" missions do. The higher the maturity the more contribution it gives to the mission. Also I do believe (please correct me if I am wrong here) that these will be repeatable. That to me means that after you get to stage 10 that you will go back to stage 1 ( just like the daily mulman inside the mayhem events).

Hopefully MA will take into account all the progress that we have all made on current iron missions. The best thing I can see for them to do is to allow us unlimited time to complete the current stage of the iron, bronze, etc that we are on but then not allow us to take the next stage and automatically start the new mission style at that point. That should eliminate the concern over people losing progress on their current stage at least but it does bring up the concern of not being able to complete a mission for a reward that you might want in the later stages.

I don't think there is a 100% way to make everyone happy but I do think this might be the best blend of both concerns. Also I do hope that the rewards for the new missions are much like the robot missions (harbinger, legionaire) where they have multiple tiers of skill rewards.

:popcorn: Best of luck

I wonder if The Beastiary will be visible over whole universe or if it still will be local...

It would be good if we had some more information about how exactly the new system works, so you can get more player feedback. I hope the rewards are not very generic, e.g. all being in the form of tokens so that there's no longer any point in hunting a variety of different mobs for different rewards.

It would be good if we had some more information about how exactly the new system works, so you can get more player feedback

Yes, MA please tell us what you plan to do, so we can explain why you shouldn't do it. :D

Yeah, I hunted like a demon to finish as many as I could before the last mission change back in 2012.

Now in 2019, we have a similar situation...

Hunt like crazy now to finish those missions before the change comes! :handgun:

You have enough time. Prioritise the best rewarding missions and finish those first. :wise:

I think it's a different situation this time around though Mega. Back in 2012 there was a perceived value in skill. Although the priority was to get the attributes. So players went around and swallowed up all the little missions to get some attributes (even though MA said attributes are worth poo).

Since then MA reduced many of the rewards especially attributes. So I think the desire is no where near as strong as it was in 2012. If some players are level 280 who cares about a mission that will get them from level 60.1 to level 60.4 hahaha.

The only one I might do is finish the kretlin on CP, but I would need to justify the pointlessness of likely paying a lot of real cash to get the mission reward. Why? What benefit?

I say to MA, do what to you want, I'll then decide if I'm interested. I actually think there's some flawed logic in the two systems running side by side. They could get to a situaton, players might choose to WAIT for the old system to die before interacting with the new mission system....its not quite clear how that would roll.

Rick

What about mining missions ... ?

Are you going to kill the game? Are you totally stupid???

well, if you delete my missions, be sure to give me the skill points i will demand you later for the kills i already have in them..

you have no the right to remove the kill points we already have from our missions, and no, i'm not gonna finish all the started missions i have in just few months.. :mad:

you have no the right to remove the kill points we already have from our missions, and no, i'm not gonna finish all the started missions i have in just few months.. :mad:

Actually they do, not that i agree with MA and personally think we should be allowed to finish what we started or get something transfered. However everytime you log into the game, you agree to their terms:

MindArk may, at any time and at MindArk’s sole discretion, update, revise, implement patches or in any other way modify, manage and control the internal data and balancing of the Entropia Universe System and/or any aspect or feature of the Entropia Universe, with or without any prior notice to the Participant or responsibility for compensation due to loss or gain of value consequent to these modifications.

One huge wish(dont know if anyone written it yet?) I have is that I want to be able to see maps and missions on ALL planets, ALWAYS!
Like now I would like to plan witch missions I want to complete, then I have to travel to Ark to see my missions there.
As with maps its hard to help friends who asks for locations and you have to explain rather than just make a waypont and sent it.
Missions and maps shuld be in tabs for diffrentplanets imo.
?

One huge wish(dont know if anyone written it yet?) I have is that I want to be able to see maps and missions on ALL planets, ALWAYS!
Like now I would like to plan witch missions I want to complete, then I have to travel to Ark to see my missions there.
As with maps its hard to help friends who asks for locations and you have to explain rather than just make a waypont and sent it.
?

That makes too much sense to be implemented, similar to bookmarks for favourite TPs and waypoints.

?

Amen to that and +rep

All that was ever needed and possibly asked for was 2 things:

1) Convert kill based missions into kill point based missions to reward hunters chasing higher maturities.

2) Adjust team hunting & shared loot mobs so that kill points can be divided up by damage dealt & assigned pro rata (down to a minimum of 1 point obviously - no dice if your damage didn't amount to 1 point)

Now i fear you're throwing another half baked mess like 2.0 & the cam/control revamp at us.

I also seem to remember that MA started a few years back on point 1 above. Not sure why there was no follow through.

?

100% this. I'm not sure what dipshit at MA decided to limit what map you can view, but I can't think of any reasoning behind it. Everyone complains about this, and the worst part is the fix is trivial - just remove the filter on the location dropdown so that it always allows you to select any location.

The tabs are a great idea, but let's not overwhelm MA's dev team with something any other team would consider trivial.

BTW a partial workaround is that you can get a map for another planet by going to the global event list and clicking the map icon on either an event or a land area (you can re-enable all the TPs and default icons at the top left). The caveat is that it only works for events or land areas, so while on Caly, you can get an Ark map by selecting any of the land areas under Ark, but you can't get a map of e.g. AUG or Ark Moon or Toulan since there are no LAs in those places.

The tabs are a great idea, but let's not overwhelm MA's dev team with something any other team would consider trivial.

I've said this already: The stupidities in software in general (as if Windows has no stupidities?) rather come from marketing and management departments. This is true for the entire IT-industry around the world. Developers are mostly the poor ones in the system that have to do what's been decided. I've personally witnessed such things more than once where even my boss knew that it was a crappy idea before I told him, but it had to be done anyway. Why? There are contracts that need to be fulfilled...

So if marketing says "we have this new idea and it needs to be shipped in one month" there is no bug that's critical enough to be fixed first. And if that's finally out that former critical bug suddenly isn't the most critical bug any more...

All that was ever needed and possibly asked for was 2 things:

1) Convert kill based missions into kill point based missions to reward hunters chasing higher maturities.

2) Adjust team hunting & shared loot mobs so that kill points can be divided up by damage dealt & assigned pro rata (down to a minimum of 1 point obviously - no dice if your damage didn't amount to 1 point)

Now i fear you're throwing another half baked mess like 2.0 & the cam/control revamp at us.

I also seem to remember that MA started a few years back on point 1 above. Not sure why there was no follow through.

Imo they should have done the reward for kill based mission flexible so that you get a
higher reward the higher maturity you killed. That way it would be way more interesting for
those doing e.g Atrox 10k mission and hunting Stalkers instead of Youngs...

Imo they should have done the reward for kill based mission flexible so that you get a
higher reward the higher maturity you killed. That way it would be way more interesting for
those doing e.g Atrox 10k mission and hunting Stalkers instead of Youngs...

Well, point 1) would be to enable that albeit in an inverted way. With kill mission you get 1 kill no matter if young or stalker. With killpoints you may get 6 for young and 12 or 24 or 36 or whatever for stalkers.

So while the reward stays the same you'll get there quicker (pointwise) by killing higher maturity.

point 2) was more to do with encouraging more team hunts & shared event participation. I (and incidently many friends & soc mates) often opt out of a team hunt because we actually want to get the mission kills/points ourselves. Right now highest damaged dealt takes all and up to 11 players get none. If point based & pro rata then this wouldn't be an issue and i'd join a team hunt more often than i do now.

Well, point 1) would be to enable that albeit in an inverted way. With kill mission you get 1 kill no matter if young or stalker. With killpoints you may get 6 for young and 12 or 24 or 36 or whatever for stalkers.

So while the reward stays the same you'll get there quicker (pointwise) by killing higher maturity.

point 2) was more to do with encouraging more team hunts & shared event participation. I (and incidently many friends & soc mates) often opt out of a team hunt because we actually want to get the mission kills/points ourselves. Right now highest damaged dealt takes all and up to 11 players get none. If point based & pro rata then this wouldn't be an issue and i'd join a team hunt more often than i do now.

Reason why I want some kill based missions left is just that, you'll see who manage to struggle through
what can be tedious, and not always have the easy way.
This kind of system could be used on extra mission though, since it doesn't fit that many.

Hopefully it will be way better with new system so we can team hunt and everyone doing damage also
get some points.

Long time ago I wished that they used a tokensystem for skill reward too. That way we could save up
and get higher values, and if anyone want to put skills on chip, just put token and chip in refiner, reduce
value with 10% and end up with same skillchip as if you do a chip out today.

Question:

Could we redo a mission that we have already completed with the current system ?

For example, if I fully finished the Iron AtrAx (all 5 stages).
Will I be able to do the equivalent of this one with the new system ?

This would be nice.

What's about the ones that have Iron/Bronze/etc..?
If I finished Iron AtrOx, and didn't get the Bronze one yet ?

Question:

Could we redo a mission that we have already completed with the current system ?

For example, if I fully finished the Iron AtrAx (all 5 stages).
Will I be able to do the equivalent of this one with the new system ?

This would be nice.

What's about the ones that have Iron/Bronze/etc..?
If I finished Iron AtrOx, and didn't get the Bronze one yet ?

If I have understood it right, we will do all missions from 0 in new system, since they
can't transfer values from old system to the new.
Missions will be smaller also, but more of them, similar to e.g Cauda mission.

What will happen if I am on bronze or silver stage and I finish it during this .... I will get the gold stage or the I stage from new mission.... because that will suck....

Has there been any mention of what would happen with long storyline mission chains? I would think they shouldn't be affected, but who knows? I figure it would be better to bring it up now then wait to find out what MA does :)

Since it's been approximately 1,5 months since the announcement. Do you guys from have any new information to give us?

I am mainly wondering if we got missions still not done, like say Warlock Stage IV, 30,000 Killpoints. If we finish it during grace period, will we automatically start on Stave V, 60,000 kp in new system with new reward, or will we start on Stage I, of the Warlock new mission system, like 1200 killpoints?
Is the planned release still on schedule? Will it come at latest, if going by what you have said on first post, Q3 2019, which means dead line is 30th September?

Since it's been approximately 1,5 months since the announcement. Do you guys from have any new information to give us?

I am mainly wondering if we got missions still not done, like say Warlock Stage IV, 30,000 Killpoints. If we finish it during grace period, will we automatically start on Stave V, 60,000 kp in new system with new reward, or will we start on Stage I, of the Warlock new mission system, like 1200 killpoints?
Is the planned release still on schedule? Will it come at latest, if going by what you have said on first post, Q3 2019, which means dead line is 30th September?

My guess is that they let excisting system be 'as it is' under the grace period since then they
don't have to spend a minute to do any code to regulate progress.
I.e if you finish a stage 3 mission you will be able to do stage 4 and 5 up until end date, and at
the same time get points in the new system.

and at
the same time get points in the new system.

Nope, that's not going to happen. Because if they do that they admit that they could have moved all our progresses to the new mission system.

My guess is that if you finish that one mission after the new mission system was deployed you cannot continue in the mission chain. You rather can finish some other old mission(s) or start one from the new system. Once the grace period is over all your missions from the old system are aborted without any further options for you.

Nope, that's not going to happen. Because if they do that they admit that they could have moved all our progresses to the new mission system.

My guess is that if you finish that one mission after the new mission system was deployed you cannot continue in the mission chain. You rather can finish some other old mission(s) or start one from the new system. Once the grace period is over all your missions from the old system are aborted without any further options for you.

There are two seperate systems going parallel to each other, values and rewards are not
connected to each other in any way.
I.e you kill a mob, you get killpoint in old system, and at the same time value in new system.

Thank you very much for taking up one of the hottest topics from this thread. We didn't really bargain for a complete upheaval of the mission system, but since the game's "grindiness" is also under discussion occasionally, it seems like the right idea at the right time. Looking very much forward to what's coming! We'll quibble over details as always... later ;)

:beerchug:

Back