Dev Notes #20 - Mission System

maybe MA speculates on a lot of depoing, because people want to complete missions before all progress is reset /tinfoilhat

maybe MA speculates on a lot of depoing, because people want to complete missions before all progress is reset /tinfoilhat

It will not work on me, if that was the plan.

*Newsflash* Lunatics take over the asylum!

Words fail me.

If the very first management meeting to discuss this radical change didn't involve the words 'How to import existing mission progress' then someone seriously f****d up.

A grace period to complete missions...don't make me laugh. As well as the late stage missions i have outstanding on Calypso and Arkadia, I deposited a lot of money (for me) this last month to make progress on Eomon 30k with a view to finishing next year. Wiping out progress on that alone will have cost me a lot, let alone taking everything else into account. Now MA being so gracious as to encourage more deposits to frantically finish missions? BS.

Is there any avatar in this entire game that will not be financially disadvantaged by this particular decision? I doubt it, yet I am sure MA will find a way to justify this and avoid any liability under the EULA.

Now watching with interest to see how this one plays out.

Ff

Either make a grace period indefinite (allow to complete all outstanding missions without taking new ones) or do a proper transfer.

If the internal systems for whatever reason don't allow transfer of the progress, then it's your problem MA. Go back to the whiteboard and start with #1 requirement being able to port the progress.

In a game where a lot of things are about progressing, losing a progress is totally unacceptable.

On my end I will stop all deposits from now on until there is a change to this horrible plan.

This would be a good time to make every mob shared too. Stop the mob stealing, completely eliminate the need to team. Missions would always be awarded points.

This would be a good time to make every mob shared too. Stop the mob stealing, completely eliminate the need to team. Missions would always be awarded points.

NO, there should be a game mechanic, how stop other players to shoot on a targeted mob, except they are in same team, or it is a shared mob. Last day i had the fun that a invisible cheater killed all mobs, i start to hunt on, just after i did about 20-30% dmg at it. My bad i had only a Icerage sword for hunt. He also looted it, but i dont saw any avatar in my near, nor at radar. But all this is much of topic, about we discuss the new mission system here!

I will try post an example for all ppl to understand more easy what is the problem and why this is a scam:
Imagine in real life you work with 100 persons (or 4000 as the number of missions are). Now you have a contract wich this persons that after 100h of helping them you get 100$ bonus. No time 9end to do it. You start doing it when you can... Help person 1 1h then person 2 4h and so on. After 3 years you helped all 100 persons but not full. you have like 3 persons with 100h, you got the reward. 10 persons with 90h, 40 with 80h etc
... So you planned this year you will finish more for the rewards. Now guess what... an idiot come and tell: you have 2 weeks finish all or loose all bonuses.
what would you do....
1. you should let all u do now and finish all???
2. considering time. needed to finish all if u play 24/24 is less then time actually gave to finish all
3. how is this not a scam??? investment if time and money in developing a character.... now what... they wipe all skills tommorow for a new update???? how is this working in their mind.... they should not forghet all they own is platform and account : not items, not skills not ped no nothing. they only ow the ideea. this is scamming 100% is stealing from us. So who want justice should gather toghether and public sue them for theft attempt

So if all old missions have been deleted...............I can start over!

starting with chirpy iron.

I will sell all gear, buy some cld/aud and simply kill chirpy untill I have 10k.

Then I can move on to gibnib!

That's totally cool of Mindark! let me start over again!

I will become the player Alina and Messi want me to be.. the player that kills.... wait for it... drumfill... Kerberos!
Kerberos iron, Kerberos bronze, Kerberos silver, Kerberos gold, Kerberos platinum!

I have a dream! We all sell our gear and only hunt Kerberos! We won't need any fen/adjusted/modded/ high efficiency/ big armor/ pills..

We simple go to the tt and buy a gun and go for the Kerberos! Start over! Weeehoooo!!!

Great tactical move by Mindark! We all kill snables and chirpy and Kerberos!

And it wil be totally free because of the CLD income.. oww wait.. boohoo..

I am so glad I am not overreacting and see the positive in all of this!

Go Mindark! You are so lucky to have ME as your customer!

and ofcourse we will make large teams and kill dasp with opalos and get the skillpoints!

Last edited:
LOL you didnt .

If they have million accounts that i am pretty sure i saw somewhere they cant just made mission to those 10,000 active and didnt do nothing whit rest .

'''''''''''A press release dating 1 April 2009 (Virtual World Developer MindArk to Use Latest HP Technology for CryENGINE2 Upgrade) mentions 820,000+ accounts. Calculating backwards from 820,000 with the figures from the financial reports would lead to 126,000+ accounts 1 month before EU became Gold...'''''''''

Cough cough

The last few press releases announcing new planets dating from 31 August to 3 November all mention that Entropia Universe "more than 950,000 registered accounts":

A simple google check lead me to this . And i didnt got cancer doing it but watching your post almost got me

Doesn't matter how many accounts they have, the solution for any alternative is to use a NPC
where you do or get your update/upgrade/tweaked reward from old to new mission.

Mindark, this is ridiculous. Stop letting executives who never play the game make these decisions.

You know it's not that much work to transfer players' progress to the new mission system. Do your job.

Thank you for all the feedback. We have read all the posts and will answer as many as possible. We value this a lot as we are trying to do something better. This is one of the reasons we wanted to post this as soon as possible.

First I will explain the system that will hopefully clarify some of your concerns.

This system doesn’t replace the existing quest/mission system. Its purpose is to have the missions now known as Hunting Iron Missions in one place where most, if not all creatures could be unlocked in a creature knowledge database. Also to serve as a Bestiary where additional information about them can be unlocked and a system that we can build upon. There are also several other reasons why we are doing this:
* The existing system is quite taxing on the servers and when designed, was not intended to be used this way where many players have lots of Iron Missions at the same time
* The existing Iron missions today have many manual steps when it comes to create, edit and maintain. That results in tough decisions when players asks for more of them or changes (even accidentally removing them was hard to resolve)
* Players were forced to find the missions before hunting so they didn’t feel that they lost progression. This will no longer be necessary with the new systems as the mission of the creature will be added automatically if you participate in the kill.
* We want players to be able to play together and get rewarded for all the activity that they do.
* We want to create more interesting missions instead of relying on the Iron Missions for activity,
* A system that can reward players retroactively depending on the progress if we so choose.

This is also extremely bad for new player retention.

We think that new players will be given goals to complete as Iron Missions unlock as they progress in their adventure in Entropia Universe

Grace period should be letting ppl finish missions that are undegoing.

We in the management have read the feedback and we will extend the grace period to approx one year. It is better to admit when in fault, this is one of those times and we have therefore reconsidered.

I'm interested in scanning part. Shooting and healing is returned in loot so I get it but scanning is not right now. Do they plan to start including scanner decay in loot returned? That would be something for ppl trying to up their looter levels.
Our plan is to add knowledge progression for anything you do towards the target that decays.

You really need to find a way to transfer progress from current missions to the new system. This is unacceptable.

As the systems are not compatible this is not possible. They will also have more ranks/steps than the previous Iron Mission chain. As the rewards are different too, where you can choose from a larger selection of skills, we feel that it is better for everyone to start from first rank to gain the most benefit from it.

They post this on a Saturday and no one here to respond. WTF

Most of us are on vacation right now, including me, but we didn’t want to wait. Hopefully we can answer most of your questions.

Are attributes going to be issued as mission rewards?

That is something we are discussing but not ready to share any info as of yet.

Are the new "iron" missions going to be repeatable (e.g. repeatable last stage)?

Yes!

Let everybody finish their missions in the old system and then start new one under the new system.

As the new system automatically adds the mission of the creature if it is eligible as soon as you participate in a kill it won’t be possible to choose when to start it.

Ok, and where is the problem to code a program to transmit all that data to the new system, or give the players/accounts in % the skills of the not done missions? Computers todays have no problem to calculate all this within minuts or less.

Current mission system is based on kill count/points where the new is based on the contribution calculation.

In a game where a lot of things are about progressing, losing a progress is totally unacceptable.

The progression will now be at one place where you can easily track and see it. It can also be compared with others and that can also open up for new challenges in the future.

Thanks again for the feedback and we will keep reading your posts. We will share more information as we get closer to the release.

Lovely, repeatable missions.
Thanks !

I see a pretty good idea, if it's possible to implement - give people % of skill from current progress. It should be a "mission closure terminal" where you can pick up skill from previous missions, depending on your progress on each and start over the current stage of the mission, if progress was <50% or next one if progress over 50%.

1. It may be a lot to many, no doubt, it's still freebies.

You mention freebies a few times. I disagree, the rewards are not freebies. Freebies are the handouts for Chirstmas, Halloween, etc. Most people spend money to get the rewards of the mission. Most mobs are usually not profitable. So, you might hunt Caperon anyway, but most mobs are done at least partially for the mission reward, at least in the quantity they are hunted.

So I see loss of mission progress as loss of an investment and this is a bad faith action by MA, to put it politely.

Edit: Just saw the post by Dennis, extending the grace period to one year is much appreciated! And ty for posting on your vacation.

Last edited:
One year grace period is far more feasible and quite fair imo, thanks for the response!

Are attributes going to be issued as mission rewards?

That is something we are discussing but not ready to share any info as of yet.

Please share this info asap as it could affect what we want to accomplish between now and then.

We in the management have read the feedback and we will extend the grace period to approx one year. It is better to admit when in fault, this is one of those times and we have therefore reconsidered.

Thank you. Scam attempt is over now. I can log-in back and loose more money so you have fun in u're vacation.
Have a nice time there and stop with stupid ideas please. Ask first won't hurt. Learn to respect the community that make u're salary reality.... Next time ask like: how much time you think will be fair so everyone finish what they started or at least the most important so we can upgrade this for something better :cool: and for sure you will have 1000% support from all community :)

It will be good to see repeatable missions on Calypso at last.

A year grace period is appreciated, there are many players who (like Mindark), are on holiday right now!

cat_on_the_beach.jpg

Thanks for the reply Dennis.

I can relax abit and go to sleep now ;) :lam: :inbed:

1 year grace period is much more feasible, thanks for adjusting the timeline.

I
*tinfoil hat on*

I think this is MA's scheme to increase our trust to them. First, they'll announce that they are wiping the progress to see the reactions. Once the reactions are very negative (which is what they have planned and what surely will happen), they'll make another post stating that they are listening and will transfer the progress to the new systems, coming out as a hero. We as community will praise them, thinking that they actually are "listening" to us, while they are just really creating an artificial issue, then artificially solving it to gain our trust. If this is what happens, then fuck you MA.

*tinfoil hat off*

tinfoil hat hof!!! Gratz!!

Yeah, I too smelled a rat with my tin foil hat. Still, whatever makes both sides happy-ish...

So, iron missions only affected, not mining, not mission chains for other rewards or unlocks, ok.

What I don't understand is that finishing an old mission will unlock the next new mission above, if all players are supposed to start new style from zero and work up. The example provided in OP isn't clear for me. Surely the old mission chain should just end at the end of whatever stage you finish during the year of grace, with no consequences at all for the new ones.

Also, which missions on other planets are to be changed - also ones such as epic mission unlockers on Cyrene, such as the ultimate noob mission, dropship on Ark etc? These also involve hunting similar to the 16600 kills of the Caly chains.

quote :Ok, and where is the problem to code a program to transmit all that data to the new system, or give the players/accounts in % the skills of the not done missions? Computers todays have no problem to calculate all this within minuts or less.

quote : Current mission system is based on kill count/points where the new is based on the contribution calculation

So, this don't answere the question to give us the skills in form of %, we did into the open missions!

And no, one year is not enought for me to complet al those missions, I dont have time to play EU 24/7 like the fanboys doing. I also dont have the peds to focus on all this missions to finish within one year. The payback is just to low, to get all this mission without have to loose a lot of peds. (example LT, Trox)

This will happen: If i lost any of my mission, i will quit entropia after play of 15 years (incloud the grace periode of 1 year). If you can run the graceperiod for 1 year, why you can't run that freaking thing not for ever or at least for about 5 years, so realy everyone can finish all open missions.
I feel scamed, if i will lose any of my missions, after the one year grace periode, about i invested my time, my effort and a lot peds to this missions.

Give us a reward for the open missions, and all is ok.
Happy summer holidays, MA!

wait! whaaaa!?? you can take the tin foil hat off!?!? hoe i didn't even know that!

*tin foil hat off*

*tin foil hat on*

*tin foil hat off*

*tin foil hat on*
hmmmm...

*tin foil hat off*
hmmmm? naaaaaaaaaah

*tin foil hat on*

1 year approximately to complete legacy missions. As compromises go this seems very good. But that approx. bothers me.
Could you at least clarify if it will include migration next year, as many of us on bronze or silver were counting on doing say 2/3rds this year and completing the mission next year. Currently because of the doubt I stopped hunting LT completely with my mission 1/3rd done. Unless I know that migration next year will definitely be included in that time allowed for completion of missions, I will not be returning to the event this year, and perhaps never. Trust is a wonderful thing, easy to break and hard to restore.
Clarity helps build trust.

Back