Dev Notes #20 - Mission System

As a big time mission grinder across the Universe. I have 100's of mission on stage 4, 5 and 6. I also have repeat missions half done. Losing the progress on 100's of missions cause I like to explore the Universe and complete missions this way is a crippling move.

It's like you are intentionally trying to get people that have played this game and loved this game to quit forever.

Might be time to sell the massive amount of skills I collected since I joined in 2016. It was fun while it lasted. Get a bulk thread going like Smilgs.... Sigh...

At least my favorite game comes out 8-27. Maybe this was meant to happen.

PS- Love you Entropians. Had a lot of fun with some of you. RIP.

Last edited:
If you think this wont happen then I have two words for you.

• Goldcard
  • Healthbars

I do have sympathy for the posters above who have so many incomplete missions open but I cant see this not being implemented because the mission system at the moment across Entropia as a whole is disorganised.

We have seen it happen before in changes such as auction fee change, amp change, footguard introduction etc in years gone by.

I did without a lot of sleep when the 2012 mission structure changed, so I know it will cause problems but it should be an improvement afterwards (here's hoping anyway.)

I vote for MA to find a way to import the existing mission level skill completions and percentages of completion within each respective mission level. I know this will take longer but it is absolutely the right thing to do in this case.

Also while you are at it, ADD in missions for Cave Brood "Aurlis" PLEASE. :D

If you think this wont happen then I have two words for you.

• Goldcard
  • Healthbars

I do have sympathy for the posters above who have so many incomplete missions open but I cant see this not being implemented because the mission system at the moment across Entropia as a whole is disorganised.

We have seen it happen before in changes such as auction fee change, amp change, footguard introduction etc in years gone by.

I did without a lot of sleep when the 2012 mission structure changed, so I know it will cause problems but it should be an improvement afterwards (here's hoping anyway.)

In this case, i only can say, that they reached the red line of my patiance to play that game longer. If i loose all my open missions, than i realy sell out! this time i dont' just say this. about i be pissed. It is the only way to do, about that time they killed my last trust to this campany. It is realy not a problem for a coder to transmit that kill points of the mission. Also pay out in % of what we had done is not a problem to do, in form to add just the skills we have done in open missions. Im tired to see how this company run this game.

This isn't quite the same as changing auction fees or amps, this is a thing that people have worked on for years and have ongoing.
And yes, the whole mission system SHOULD be amassed into one coherrent system.

Though, they have the old data, they can very, very easily take that data, and put it in to the new database.
and it is not too hard to convert say... from "100 kills" to "600 points" (where you get 6 points for killing young), you have 50 points in the mission... 50*6=300... i don't think anyone would care about maturities if they just do this simple conversion for the lowest maturity.

I am sure something will be sorted out, but if not i suggest a Virtual Protest in Twin peaks once a week,where everyone stands around all day each saturday until there is a solution mners,hunters,crafters comrades, a virtual protest.

Last edited:
A not so little something that MA could and should consider is those players who due to real life constraints may not be able to play at all in the given timescale

This is summer in the Northern hemisphere, kids are home from school, families have holidays and childcare issues as well as trying to work.
This short timespan to the shut off of the old missions is just not do-able

more important in my opinion are those whose employment prevents play for weeks/months at a time

Oil rig workers
Deep Sea Trawlermen
Other Ships crews

and most important of all
Serving men and women across the globe that are on deployment.

Are we to welcome them back with a slap in the face and the loss of all they did before going off to help protect us ?

They should allow you to complete all current active stage missions no matter how long it takes for you. Then next stage should be on new system.
Fair and just system. Not Lazy and unfair new system.

Ahhhhhh the big VUs :laugh:
The update seems nice to me.. and as usually seems like someone somewhere is also overreacting a little :D

Judging by how flexible MA was (in my opinion) with the camera system, I believe there's a lot of room for doing this update without pissing off the legacy players :D so people should relax a bit and try some constructive feedback that might actually help them.

The solutions can be simple for both MA and those that value so much those started missions.
I never played this game for missions (except that one time when I wanted to unlock commando in 2016) and I personally think it's a waste of time and a huge waste of progress. The skills don't mean much (most are @100% worth) and hunting crap mobs (crap MU-wise) just to get a crap reward seems like a crappy strategy to me.
But I can understand different people play this game differently so for those that have a different perspective, they can go for those missions they want to keep progress for during the grace period and just switch to the new mission system during that period, they will get the reward and they will save the progress.

As for a solution from MA, it also seems very simple. As a programmer I can understand they cannot carry the progress from within the stage from one system to another but from the notes I can see they can actually carry the stage progress, so if you are on stage IX on neomex in the current system, they can switch your stage to the new system to stage 9 and thus only erasing the progress within a stage but not erase the whole chain entirely.

There are people that are temporarily away or will be in vacation during this grace period so there should be a different approach to this.

[h=2]Dev Notes #20 - Mission System[/h] Hunting Mission System

Example
You have the current “Iron Atrox IV” mission active. After the implementation of the new mission system, for each kill of a qualifying Atrox creature, you will receive progress on the new Atrox Hunting Challenge mission as well as on the legacy "Iron Atrox IV" mission. If you fulfill the requirements for the Iron Atrox IV mission during the grace period, you will receive the usual reward, but you will not be able to begin the legacy Iron Atrox V mission. Instead, you will automatically receive the next stage of the (new system) Atrox Hunting Challenge mission.

There's also this
This grace period will extend approximately one month from the implementation of the new mission system.
which means there's room for some flexibility here as well so people should chill a little :)

about as effective as rl protest lol. nah. that axemurderer wasn't up to the task. i think we got to send pigbenis to the office. that'll freakem out. maybe they'll get it then. haha get it lol get it! bwahahaha.

The update seems nice to me.. and as usually seems like someone somewhere is also overreacting a little :D

Judging by how flexible MA was (in my opinion) with the camera system, I believe there's a lot of room for doing this update without pissing off the legacy players :D so people should relax a bit and try some constructive feedback that might actually help them.

The solutions can be simple for both MA and those that value so much those started missions.
I never played this game for missions (except that one time when I wanted to unlock commando in 2016) and I personally think it's a waste of time and a huge waste of progress. The skills don't mean much (most are @100% worth) and hunting crap mobs (crap MU-wise) just to get a crap reward seems like a crappy strategy to me.
But I can understand different people play this game differently so for those that have a different perspective, they can go for those missions they want to keep progress for during the grace period and just switch to the new mission system during that period, they will get the reward and they will save the progress.

As for a solution from MA, it also seems very simple. As a programmer I can understand they cannot carry the progress from within the stage from one system to another but from the notes I can see they can actually carry the stage progress, so if you are on stage IX on neomex in the current system, they can switch your stage to the new system to stage 9 and thus only erasing the progress within a stage but not erase the whole chain entirely.

There are people that are temporarily away or will be in vacation during this grace period so there should be a different approach to this.

There's also this

which means there's room for some flexibility here as well so people should chill a little :)

Addressing various points...

1. It's not just "Legacy" players. This hurts a lot of the people who have given the most money to MA. And everything is relative, even if someone hasn't deposited thousands, it may be a lot to them.

2. You may not care about missions but a lot of people enjoy doing them. Not everyone is like you, in fact I'd guess more play for fun, progress, etc. than play strictly or mostly to profit, like you.

3. A lot of people can't "just" bang out a shitload of missions or even just the most important ones in a few months. Not everyone has the time to play that you seem to.

4. They could in fact carry the progress in one stage from one system to another, unless the structure has changed. But if it's 5 stages in the old system and 5 stages in the new system for a mission (or 10 or whatever) simply transfer. If not then there are other solutions.

5. "Only" the progress in one stage can mean thousands of peds if it is a late stage of the mission.

6. People aren't going to "chill" when they are told they stand to lose hundreds or thousands of hours and peds spent towards mission progression.

Who knew this months ago?

It looks like this!

Nice one Trance, that picture says it all.

I am curious if this mission announcement is news today to all players, or if MA ensured that their chosen society/societies and buddy avatars all knew of this 6 months ago?

So... I have a set time to round out my favorite missions? :( And mining missions... This is going to hurt.

So... I have a set time to round out my favorite missions? :( And mining missions... This is going to hurt.

Also if i would have 1 000 000 ped, and would play 24/7 i would not be able to finish all my open missions, on all planets.

I wonder who is half way done or 2/3 done with dasps and have to try grind that out again hahahaha

Finally after 28 years some logic and common sense.
Thanks

they will change some things for sure, they usually make announces likes this for feedback :)

so chill plebs and go finish some missions :p

As usual, the suckup trinity (perhaps advisor trinity?) has spoken so chill you legacy plebs...

Some questions and remarks I had reading the OP:
0. As others have mentioned, don't see the reason to not issue progress to the new missions based on progress of old ones, ok there is some math involved but it is a fairly trivial calculation (% completed)

1. Would it only impact the "legacy" iron-like missions? There were/are plenty of missions which were about going somewhere, talking to some NPC who sent you to another NPC etc. Would hate to lose the progress (list of those missions completed).

2. What is the impact on missions that on completion grant access to something, e.g. the vaccine chain, entrance to mind reaver cave, entrance to the cp cave? are those areas going to be available to anyone as of the new system?

3. This seems like another massive impact to get people from other planets to go Caly for quite some time as
a) people rushing to finish their opened missions
b) all the missions are going to be reset so some rewards to be had

4. Are attributes going to be issued as mission rewards? It would be nice opportunity to somewhat balance previous issues - results of bugged repeatable mission chains resulting in things like messi's 200+ agility and 80+ stamina.

5. Are the new "iron" missions going to be repeatable (e.g. repeatable last stage)?

6. Are the missions still going to offer skill rewards? If so perhaps it would be good to introduce some kind of system that makes it possible to exchange to any skill in the relevant category, as the current system makes it difficult to issue unlockable skills as choices.

I had thought same..

I think it is unfounded panic for the present. ;)

Just my 2 pecs :twocents:

Last edited:
While the changes introduced by the new mission system are positive, the management of the transition from the old one is perplexing, to say the least.

Missions and rewards are a "core" part of the game and enough has been said about the consequences of wiping off years of game play time, which for the vast majority of players amounts to sizeable financial "investment".

What I'd like to point out is that there is no technical reason whatsoever to impose such a draconian grace period. First of all, the two systems will live in parallel for a month anyway, which proves that they can run at the same time.

I'd also like to point out that we are in 2019, and that the "Mission Token Converter" NPC in Cape Corinth is still there. This lovely character was introduced in 2013 to convert the old Mission Tokens to the new Combat Tokens, and somehow I don't think he's been very active for the last few years. Below the full announcement for those interested.

It is therefore preposterous to claim that such a short cut-off date should be imposed for the transition between the two mission systems, because MA has proved they can easily tolerate legacy systems for well over 5 years.

I am sure MA's new management, who have made transparency and communication a pillar of their strategy, will want to reassess the transition plan and avoid the inevitable conspiracy theories about "confiscation" or any other accusations of financial manoeuvres aiming to wipe any outstanding credits on missions (all rewards have ped-equivalent amounts, after all) and forcing players to restart them.

https://www.planetcalypso.com/news/pages/2013/11/05/5947/index.xml?

This excellent post says most of what I wanted to type after a night sleeping over the Mission System announcement.

As to the fear of the skillmarket crashing when rewards get paid out relative to the percentage of the mission completed :

What skill market? You can get unlimited amounts of skills for free if you bring ESI and just before events people are PAYING ME to take their skills. The skill market is dead. There is just an ESI market and an evergrowing army of idle avatars loaded with skills that are not worth chipping out due to lack of demand and ESI price.

This is, by far, the stupidest thing so far.
Ive got alot of halfdone 60k missions and also 30k.
MA announces this during the migration, when you are supposed to hunt migration mobs.
If this is true, they are hiring a bunch of crappy coders who cannot read the current missionstats and copy those numbers to the new variables.
:mad:

Bronze marci : 25985/60000
Bronze MR : 24738/60000
drone (ELITE) : 15945/30000
feffox : 4912/12000
hogglo : 44932/60000
kreltin : 895/10000
maffoid : 2919/3000
mulmun : 3195/12000
neconu : 501/5000
warrior 679/1000
silver atrox : 27573/60000
silver LT : 12271/36000

NO way I can get these done...

Thx for a lovely 13 years MA

Das

Edit : making this dev post during mayhem makes me wonder what they where thinking.
Do they really expect me to go finnish the other missions as much as I can (while working like 50h/week?

Last edited:
Read all posts and ate my popcorn..

Dear MA!

This change is a terrible idea there is NO WAY i am able to finnish my missions in this time frame u sugest. And i got ALOT of unnfinnished major missions much like what Oleg posted.
There most be away to either transfer the mission points or let us continue with them untill they finnished no matter how long it take..
If u continue with this idea its going to be a enourmus lose to many if not all players as i se it.

U have to rethink this and phostphoned it a year or 2.
If not im very affraid it will end terrible bad for Entropia..
Regards

Bronze marci : 25985/60000
Bronze MR : 24738/60000
drone (ELITE) : 15945/30000
feffox : 4912/12000
hogglo : 44932/60000
kreltin : 895/10000
maffoid : 2919/3000
mulmun : 3195/12000
neconu : 501/5000
warrior 679/1000
silver atrox : 27573/60000
silver LT : 12271/36000

NO way I can get these done...

Thx for a lovely 13 years MA

Das

Yep, im about to do the same.
If this will be done by MA, many players I know incl me will quit this game

They said planned to release in Q3 2019. June was the last month in Q3... Do they live in the past? :laugh:

in early 2016, mindark started with the first stage of their "powerful new planet partner event management suite".

over 3 years later, there's still no other planet who has started to implement anything like this.

how in hell does mindark expect their partners to change all their missions and rewards in a few months, when they and their partners can't even release and fix things in several years?!?

funny thing, in the same VU 15.8 notes, you also released the auction markup warning, which never worked properly up to date. proper math is tough business huh? :scratch2:

how in hell do you expect to code your mission rework correctly, when you can't even do so with an auction markup warning in several years?!?

i really urge you to fix your shit first, before opening your crazy-idea pandora's box again.

ty

We should insist on receiving progressed % of the rewards after the grace period!!!

We should insist on receiving progressed % of the rewards from all of the missions after the grace period!!!

Last edited:
Please excuse Dorki while he role-plays king Tomen. He is away from keyboard trying to locate a window high enough above ground to accomplish a good splat. :eyecrazy:

On a more serious note: What the actual f**k?! What a bright idea to fook people's progress instead of, you know, leaving the old system in the game and just disabling the ability to take new missions in it? Let everybody finish their missions in the old system and then start new one under the new system. I'm sure it can be done if they can let both system run alongside each other for a month, they can leave it that way for years.

Or just let the kills count towards both until those old missions are finished regardless of how long after the change that happens.

Feel free to suck on my powertool MA! Grace period my giant hairy bubbles of joy! :tongue2:

Back