PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Xendar Xen Xal
    Society
    Payn Inc.
    Images

CryEngine 5, DX12

Why are we still on CryEngine 2 from 10+ years ago and DX9 from 15+ years ago?
    Xen Shop Imperial HAZEN Gloves (M) | Halloween and Christmas Strongboxes | Dune Rider Arm Guards (M) | Dune Rider Foot Guards (M) | Dominax Original Boiga Adjusted

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Michael Mike Duval
    Images
    Because people aren't spending enough money to fund the development
    Last edited by SupaPres; 09-14-2019 at 18:07.

Been in game since 2008. People say I have a lucky horseshoe. Tell my bank account that!

it cost too much to code all again , but can be good move when game get 20 years

Elite
    This member has helped support PlanetCalypsoForum in the past via donations.
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Ford Zippo LincolnMercury
    Society
    cB | Crimson Blades
    Images
    Would be really nice if they updated that is for sure.. Let's Go AMZN Lumberyard!!!
    "If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."

http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=65574 - PVP GLOBALS

Sandal San Tolk
    Society
    OldTimers
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This discussion keeps coming back like a bad penny. It has been explained every single time that the game we have is so heavily customized that you'll have to come up with solid economic reasons to justify another complete re-development. The first one was a disaster for the content people grew to love back then, with much of it never having been restored. A good number of players left over it and some are quibbling over unfulfilled promises to this day. Now that the company is profitable, another upheaval of that magnitude would be even more difficult to digest on top of the development costs alone. Any deed holders on board of this train?

I actually find the recent bigger developments in Entropia rather impressive, occasional discontent over details notwithstanding. Evolution is better than revolution and I'd prefer this trend to continue.
    1. I NEVER post off-topic.
    2. If you disagree, go to 1.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Sub-Zero The Killer
    Society
    Guess Who
    Images
    Because, by the time they implement Cryengine 5 DX 12 on EU with all systems in EU there will already be Cryengine 10, DX 15. And people will ask why they not upgrade to it.

Xendar Xen Xal
    Society
    Payn Inc.
    Images
    Last time was total engine conversion. CryEngine to CryEngine should not be so difficult, no? And DX? I would like someone with technical knowledge to explain, and not someone who is worried about their deed income.
    Xen Shop Imperial HAZEN Gloves (M) | Halloween and Christmas Strongboxes | Dune Rider Arm Guards (M) | Dune Rider Foot Guards (M) | Dominax Original Boiga Adjusted

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    hijacker Hijacker27 inferno
    Society
    Agents of Entropy
    Images
    The single MA developer doesn't get paid enough to change the engine again

Chaotic Good
    Become a premium member today and enjoy enhanced PlanetCalypsoForum features!
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    MegaVolt
    Society
    Kaos
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hopefully they have learnt from the mistake of thinking their worldwide playerbase are using cutting edge hardware.

A lot aren't.

My own hardware setup is futureproof (CPU / Ram / GPU) until they make the mistake of dropping Windows 7. Which I hope they dont.

Dont let Microsoft's mistake become Mindark's.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Darth Reven Reborn
    Society
    Love Craft Academy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    CryEngine to CryEngine should not be so difficult, no?
    Except the fact that the latest CryEngine is probably nothing like the one that was used 10 years ago (or whenever the changeover happened). Functions will be rewritten completely different, hooks into those functions would be different or non-existant. So if they managed to go through all the code to figure out how to merge their custom systems (or rewrite them completely), they would also need to do a ton of testing and bug finding to ensure no unintended consequenses. Plus there could be a lot of things that get broken that they will not know about until players find it (and either exploit it or complain that MA programmers are small brained monkeys).

Do you really want to go back to an Alpha release with a potential for a lot of exploits/bugs? Also it would mean a halt on anything else they are doing right now (which i'm sure you will say thats nothing anyway).

I mean, people complained like crazy with the camera system release and that would have been a speck compared to switching over to a later engine version. I'm sure they would give up on some features that take too long to rewrite/convert.....pick your favourite thing to do in entropia, then think about what happens if they cannot re-implement that into the new engine for whatever reason (too much cost,etc)....then they tell us they can't and you hit the roof. What if they turn around and then said, well you asked for this upgrade and because of it, we can't give you xxxx (unless insert new deed here). Yeah that would go down well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast