PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Xendar Xen Xal
    Society
    Payn Inc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think problem will be the funding. Last update in 2007 costed MA a fortune. They had later to start selling CLD as shares to cover that big money sink update.
    I'm suggesting CryEngine to newer CryEngine, not an completely different engine. I'm not a graphics expert but I think that would be a big difference from completely changing the engine like they did before. It would be nice to be able to use some more advanced features of our graphics cards.

I was looking for comments from players with game design/engine knowledge, and hopefully a comment directly from MindArk.

If you use a 10 year old graphics card I have no sympathy, sorry. Not sorry.
    Xen Shop Imperial HAZEN Gloves (M) | Halloween and Christmas Strongboxes | Dune Rider Arm Guards (M) | Dune Rider Foot Guards (M) | Dominax Original Boiga Adjusted

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Kerawan Kerham Maddahy
    Society
    Project Y
    Images
    Man, you talk like somebody who started MMO yesterday. Where in the world have you ever met a MMO which to behave as you suggest? You can't compare it with a single player FPS or some MoBA.

And you still didn't asked what would you expect from such a change?

Burden of argument is on the positive side, always.

Sandal San Tolk
    Society
    OldTimers
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    I'm suggesting CryEngine to newer CryEngine, not an completely different engine.
    They are really quite different. I didn't mean to be harsh or anything because the question is indeed a natural one to ask, but it keeps getting repeated and people never do any homework. One could read e.g. about asset formats, game scripting etc. and even as non-developer get a reasonable estimate about the effort involved with such a move. There are some interesting features in the new version like Linux support and Vulkan, but as said, you need to give them a FINANCIALLY SOUND reason to do it.
    1. I NEVER post off-topic.
    2. If you disagree, go to 1.

Angel O2 Mercer
    Society
    Rangers
    Images
    If you want financially sound reasons there are plenty, just the most obvious ones off the top of my head:

Opening the game to people with entry level computers (right now your only choice is to downgrade graphics to the point where EU looks like minecraft). Uh-oh 50 players on the same area? bye bye fps

Another reason? the publicity stunt. Laugh all you want, still effective. And this was the real reason behind VU10 wether you like it or not.

Another one? How about fixing a million bugs that are inherent to CE2 and the way it has been customized/implemented by MA in the past? I worked a lot on cryengine back when Crysis was first launched. Mostly LUA scripting for several mods back when crymod.com had thousands of visitors at any given time. I know for a fact that the current engine is pretty much the worst possible choice for an open world MMO, which means that whoever imposed it for VU10 didn't do the homework.

How about VR? lots of AAA game studios are pushing for it. VR cannot be done properly (or even half-assedly) with CE2. Terrible performance and huge dps drops on network events mean you'll have a lot of people puking their guts out soon enough.

There's more if MA really wanted to do it. The problem is they don't want to because they are lazy and have the minimum staff. It's always the same problem, always the same. This is, in part, why they break so many things on every big release.

In my opinion CE2 is a mess, it was intended for a very specific type of game (your typical story driven fps) and it does it wonderfully but little more.

But I agree 100% that we go in circles with this discussion, for years.

It probably will never happen, which is a shame.

Take care, it's not a bad question but it's one that has been asked a lot (even by myself several times)... sorry.

Just my opinion, it's ok to disagree :P

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Captain Cereal Crunch

This had nothing to do with a old graphic card, i have a special PC system, i work as a media designer in digital and print, also in video and audio. my home System is a lot of better than a gaming system.

The point is that graphics brings nothing for the game...we need that the Devs work that all the bugs get resolved, we need more quests with great story that people have fun and not boring killing 250.000 mobs for skills that brings nothing, we need that crafting make sense and is not only slot maschine and and and..what have you from a game with amazing graphic without great content?

Xendar Xen Xal
    Society
    Payn Inc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    This had nothing to do with a old graphic card, i have a special PC system, i work as a media designer in digital and print, also in video and audio. my home System is a lot of better than a gaming system.

The point is that graphics brings nothing for the game...we need that the Devs work that all the bugs get resolved, we need more quests with great story that people have fun and not boring killing 250.000 mobs for skills that brings nothing, we need that crafting make sense and is not only slot maschine and and and..what have you from a game with amazing graphic without great content?
    Why can't we have both?
    Xen Shop Imperial HAZEN Gloves (M) | Halloween and Christmas Strongboxes | Dune Rider Arm Guards (M) | Dune Rider Foot Guards (M) | Dominax Original Boiga Adjusted

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Captain Cereal Crunch
    No idea...i dont think that Mindark has that much people, time, money to do it..but that is just my opinion..

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Irdeta WoenK Hocren
    Society
    Riverboat Gamblers
    Images
    I'm suggesting CryEngine to newer CryEngine, not an completely different engine. I'm not a graphics expert but I think that would be a big difference from completely changing the engine like they did before. It would be nice to be able to use some more advanced features of our graphics cards.

I was looking for comments from players with game design/engine knowledge, and hopefully a comment directly from MindArk.

What would be doable without problems with Cryengine 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpTRbXgU4co

And if I remember correctly the engine has been heavily modified over the years, Cryengine was not meant to be used for RPGs or MMOs.
    Then there are the tectures...we still have the same texture for all older buildings from the previous engine
    So even _IF_ the modifications could be integrated in a new engine, it would bring absolutely no benefits unless the textures are also worked on.

And with the bugs still in-game, producing new ones with a new engine before resolving the old ones would benefit no-one.
    Only thing that would happen, new Engine, more bugs and more people quitting because of it.
    Avoiding hunting ubers since 12.09.2019
    Globals Hunting: 2342 Mining: 0049 Crafting: 0579
    HoFs Hunting: 0061 Mining: 0000 Crafting: 0022
    Ubers Hunting: 0011 Mining: 0000 Crafting: 0006
    Always know where your towel is !!!

Xendar Xen Xal
    Society
    Payn Inc.
    Images
    I underestimated the number of luddites playing this game.

Guardian
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Corwin The Prince
    Images
    all your talking is pointless guys, im sorry to say it.

There is not other choice, they have to start now planning and developing with a new engine VR ready while keep upgrading the one we are actually using. They cannot issue a new game they will be forced to move the actual one eventually.

If u are sloppy or uncautions you will be eaten by sharks.

This said its not something that have to happen tomorrow, and i bet they already working on it, they just need to be prepared when VR is at an acceptable development level, all doable. And by then you all will find out that a 2 or 300 dollar effort on hardware (if necessary because new engines offer same scalable graphics) will be worth it.

They are working well, and as they already mention in different news, also with the update, they already working on it. So why bothering making dumb questions? they are working really well, over any player expectation. I do expect they already have a plan with either converting it to a new engine either ask crytech to directly do it like they did in past.

Cmon guys its is obvious they atm are running with an amazing team of developers, are u blind didnt u see the graphics improvement?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3