Question: CryEngine 5, DX12

Xen

Mutated
Society
AO
Xendar Xen Xal
Why are we still on CryEngine 2 from 10+ years ago and DX9 from 15+ years ago?

Because people aren't spending enough money to fund the development

Last edited:
it cost too much to code all again , but can be good move when game get 20 years

Would be really nice if they updated that is for sure.. Let's Go AMZN Lumberyard!!!

This discussion keeps coming back like a bad penny. It has been explained every single time that the game we have is so heavily customized that you'll have to come up with solid economic reasons to justify another complete re-development. The first one was a disaster for the content people grew to love back then, with much of it never having been restored. A good number of players left over it and some are quibbling over unfulfilled promises to this day. Now that the company is profitable, another upheaval of that magnitude would be even more difficult to digest on top of the development costs alone. Any deed holders on board of this train?

I actually find the recent bigger developments in Entropia rather impressive, occasional discontent over details notwithstanding. Evolution is better than revolution and I'd prefer this trend to continue.

:wise: Because, by the time they implement Cryengine 5 DX 12 on EU with all systems in EU there will already be Cryengine 10, DX 15. And people will ask why they not upgrade to it.

Last time was total engine conversion. CryEngine to CryEngine should not be so difficult, no? And DX? I would like someone with technical knowledge to explain, and not someone who is worried about their deed income.

The single MA developer doesn't get paid enough to change the engine again

Hopefully they have learnt from the mistake of thinking their worldwide playerbase are using cutting edge hardware.

A lot aren't. :yup:

My own hardware setup is futureproof (CPU / Ram / GPU) until they make the mistake of dropping Windows 7. Which I hope they dont.

Dont let Microsoft's mistake become Mindark's.

CryEngine to CryEngine should not be so difficult, no?

Except the fact that the latest CryEngine is probably nothing like the one that was used 10 years ago (or whenever the changeover happened). Functions will be rewritten completely different, hooks into those functions would be different or non-existant. So if they managed to go through all the code to figure out how to merge their custom systems (or rewrite them completely), they would also need to do a ton of testing and bug finding to ensure no unintended consequenses. Plus there could be a lot of things that get broken that they will not know about until players find it (and either exploit it or complain that MA programmers are small brained monkeys).

Do you really want to go back to an Alpha release with a potential for a lot of exploits/bugs? Also it would mean a halt on anything else they are doing right now (which i'm sure you will say thats nothing anyway).

I mean, people complained like crazy with the camera system release and that would have been a speck compared to switching over to a later engine version. I'm sure they would give up on some features that take too long to rewrite/convert.....pick your favourite thing to do in entropia, then think about what happens if they cannot re-implement that into the new engine for whatever reason (too much cost,etc)....then they tell us they can't and you hit the roof. What if they turn around and then said, well you asked for this upgrade and because of it, we can't give you xxxx (unless insert new deed here). Yeah that would go down well.

As far as i'm concerned , they need to put all their efforts into creating systems that will help drive markup.

TT isn't cutting it .

Because poeple rather spent 10k USD on crafting then spent 500 USD for a new computer ?
Because the last update did cost us about half the active playerbase ?
Because even with Cryengine 5 it would not look different because there are no ressources for a make-over ?

And mainly...because higher version number does not mean better ?

If I remember right they use a custom CE2 engine, not vanilla, so they would have to pay Crytek for that kind of work again. And I doubt the news of them switching to CE5 would create a 2007-like hype to pay for that.

The current engine is more than capable enough. It does Dx10 which was a major update. If they are gonna do anything they should update the textures and make the world look prettier, particularly the ground. It looks crap most of the time. Cryengine 2 gives them a huge resource to work with and it's barely utilized as it stands. This engine can give the game far superior visuals as to what we see today, if they put the effort in.

all i want is for them to employ a true systems analyst....you know the guy that can visualize Entropia Universe into the 21st century

In the recent Q&A MA stated that they had a whole new graphic ready to go.

not again this....why change again the graphic? We have a lot of bugs and other things to clear...myself i play on low settings, not becouse i cn not play on high settings, just becouse entropia Universe is for me great on low settings, i like it..

Think problem will be the funding. Last update in 2007 costed MA a fortune. They had later to start selling CLD as shares to cover that big money sink update.

Why are we still on CryEngine 2 from 10+ years ago and DX9 from 15+ years ago?

Why should it be different?

Think problem will be the funding. Last update in 2007 costed MA a fortune. They had later to start selling CLD as shares to cover that big money sink update.

I'm suggesting CryEngine to newer CryEngine, not an completely different engine. I'm not a graphics expert but I think that would be a big difference from completely changing the engine like they did before. It would be nice to be able to use some more advanced features of our graphics cards.

I was looking for comments from players with game design/engine knowledge, and hopefully a comment directly from MindArk.

If you use a 10 year old graphics card I have no sympathy, sorry. Not sorry.

Man, you talk like somebody who started MMO yesterday. Where in the world have you ever met a MMO which to behave as you suggest? You can't compare it with a single player FPS or some MoBA.

And you still didn't asked what would you expect from such a change?

Burden of argument is on the positive side, always.

I'm suggesting CryEngine to newer CryEngine, not an completely different engine.
They are really quite different. I didn't mean to be harsh or anything because the question is indeed a natural one to ask, but it keeps getting repeated and people never do any homework. One could read e.g. about asset formats, game scripting etc. and even as non-developer get a reasonable estimate about the effort involved with such a move. There are some interesting features in the new version like Linux support and Vulkan, but as said, you need to give them a FINANCIALLY SOUND reason to do it.

If you want financially sound reasons there are plenty, just the most obvious ones off the top of my head:

Opening the game to people with entry level computers (right now your only choice is to downgrade graphics to the point where EU looks like minecraft). Uh-oh 50 players on the same area? bye bye fps :)

Another reason? the publicity stunt. Laugh all you want, still effective. And this was the real reason behind VU10 wether you like it or not.

Another one? How about fixing a million bugs that are inherent to CE2 and the way it has been customized/implemented by MA in the past? I worked a lot on cryengine back when Crysis was first launched. Mostly LUA scripting for several mods back when crymod.com had thousands of visitors at any given time. I know for a fact that the current engine is pretty much the worst possible choice for an open world MMO, which means that whoever imposed it for VU10 didn't do the homework.

How about VR? lots of AAA game studios are pushing for it. VR cannot be done properly (or even half-assedly) with CE2. Terrible performance and huge dps drops on network events mean you'll have a lot of people puking their guts out soon enough.

There's more if MA really wanted to do it. The problem is they don't want to because they are lazy and have the minimum staff. It's always the same problem, always the same. This is, in part, why they break so many things on every big release.

In my opinion CE2 is a mess, it was intended for a very specific type of game (your typical story driven fps) and it does it wonderfully but little more.

But I agree 100% that we go in circles with this discussion, for years.

It probably will never happen, which is a shame.

Take care, it's not a bad question but it's one that has been asked a lot (even by myself several times)... sorry.

Just my opinion, it's ok to disagree :p

This had nothing to do with a old graphic card, i have a special PC system, i work as a media designer in digital and print, also in video and audio. my home System is a lot of better than a gaming system.

The point is that graphics brings nothing for the game...we need that the Devs work that all the bugs get resolved, we need more quests with great story that people have fun and not boring killing 250.000 mobs for skills that brings nothing, we need that crafting make sense and is not only slot maschine and and and..what have you from a game with amazing graphic without great content?

This had nothing to do with a old graphic card, i have a special PC system, i work as a media designer in digital and print, also in video and audio. my home System is a lot of better than a gaming system.

The point is that graphics brings nothing for the game...we need that the Devs work that all the bugs get resolved, we need more quests with great story that people have fun and not boring killing 250.000 mobs for skills that brings nothing, we need that crafting make sense and is not only slot maschine and and and..what have you from a game with amazing graphic without great content?

Why can't we have both?

No idea...i dont think that Mindark has that much people, time, money to do it..but that is just my opinion..

I'm suggesting CryEngine to newer CryEngine, not an completely different engine. I'm not a graphics expert but I think that would be a big difference from completely changing the engine like they did before. It would be nice to be able to use some more advanced features of our graphics cards.

I was looking for comments from players with game design/engine knowledge, and hopefully a comment directly from MindArk.

What would be doable without problems with Cryengine 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpTRbXgU4co

And if I remember correctly the engine has been heavily modified over the years, Cryengine was not meant to be used for RPGs or MMOs.
Then there are the tectures...we still have the same texture for all older buildings from the previous engine
So even _IF_ the modifications could be integrated in a new engine, it would bring absolutely no benefits unless the textures are also worked on.

And with the bugs still in-game, producing new ones with a new engine before resolving the old ones would benefit no-one.
Only thing that would happen, new Engine, more bugs and more people quitting because of it.

I underestimated the number of luddites playing this game. :rolleyes:

all your talking is pointless guys, im sorry to say it.

There is not other choice, they have to start now planning and developing with a new engine VR ready while keep upgrading the one we are actually using. They cannot issue a new game they will be forced to move the actual one eventually.

If u are sloppy or uncautions you will be eaten by sharks.

This said its not something that have to happen tomorrow, and i bet they already working on it, they just need to be prepared when VR is at an acceptable development level, all doable. And by then you all will find out that a 2 or 300 dollar effort on hardware (if necessary because new engines offer same scalable graphics) will be worth it.

They are working well, and as they already mention in different news, also with the update, they already working on it. So why bothering making dumb questions? they are working really well, over any player expectation. I do expect they already have a plan with either converting it to a new engine either ask crytech to directly do it like they did in past.

Cmon guys its is obvious they atm are running with an amazing team of developers, are u blind didnt u see the graphics improvement?

Back