Narfi Hungry Willem
    Society
    Lost Renegades
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSkywalker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is that?

Slayer
    Become a premium member today and enjoy enhanced PlanetCalypsoForum features!
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    John Teacher Capital
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    T.here
    A.in't
    N.o
    S.uch
    T.hing
    A.s
    A.
    F.ree
    L.unch

https://www.google.com/search?q=tanstaafl

I was against the UBI until I realized something important: when you work, you would earn money ON TOP of the UBI. People could decide to not work, but they would have to live a very frivolous and scant lifestyle. The motivation behind working would still be there, because we work so we can make better lives for ourselves.

If you can earn money on top of the UBI, then almost certainly people would still pursue normal job careers. The purpose of having the UBI is just to help the homeless and the impoverished to have a better foothold so they can pursue better lives

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Jo Aloisius Smith
    Society
    Natural Born Killers
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i bought lunch with my doges i mined some years ago and forgot about. when i searched my wallets the other day i discovered like 600 usd.

i was watching kaiser report today when a guy was talking about the value of bitcoin compared to stocks. he said bitcoin doesn't derive its value from corporate profit, interest rates and economic growth like stocks and bonds do but from its technology, regulatory changes, adoption and millenials. https://youtu.be/F6aengR6fWk?t=1147

point being: start mining; contribute to a worthy system.

UBI is good for communists. if you don't stop the commies from sleeping under your beds it'll turn into the satanic panic. mark my words.

Wizzina Wizz Pale Moon
    Society
    The Ministry
    Images
    I'm fully against a UBI.

We already have welfare. That's good enough.

No free money. Work for it you lazy bastards!

And if you can't work, fair enough, you get welfare.

Not everybody wants to work or needs a job to have an existential life. Enough people with hobbies. Or people that would just play entropia all day and get free money.
    And who will pay for this?
    Yes, hard-working folks.

So, let's not, ok?

Old Alpha
    Svena svena Faraday
    Society
    The NBK
    Images
    Its going to be funny watching the panic when a large portion of the economy is being performed by robots.

Truck drivers, taxi drivers, warehouse workers, retail workers, fast food workers, banking and investment workers, and probably some more I'm forgetting are on the chopping block in the next 10 or so years.

Thats just counting jobs that are at risk with CURRENT technology, stuff we already know how to do and are just working out the cost and trust rates.

Just imagine the chaos if some company were to finalize a brute force machine learning style AI or if some one comes up with a true blue AI. That puts 90% of humanity out of a job.

That's a good point Bella that I'm sure some people don't realise. In Germany there are local groups with large posters that can be rolled out on the ground. There are different versions but they basically ask what people would want to do if their basic income was secured.
    Almost everyone would want to carry on working in some capacity, as working means more to people than just money. However, some would want to work a bit less in order to spend more time with their families, others would also want to expand on volunteering, further education etc.

An UBI does not mean a complete change, but it is quite a big change and a chance for people to feel more secure. I'm no longer a youngster, but I see how the world is becoming less secure for them. Sure, most young people find their way, but in a world that is becoming more pushy.

I do see where the thinking comes from that people should work for anything they get. In animal groups lazy members are also not tolerated. And yet, children do not have to work in most parts of the world any more, but are given the start in life they need. In today's world, I think that should actually extend to everyone - a basic income. We may even achieve better results when work is a desirable activity instead of a necessity.

Who's the guy who did the work on 'bullshit?' jobs, where people in offices and other places do not actually DO anything useful, but have to pretend that they do? That is a big drain as well in our modern societies...

You mean automation's going to take away my remedial job as a telephone switchboard operator? Besides, we already have a Universal Basic Income.

It's $0.

The UBI is $0.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Maria Mesh
    Society
    tAS->Entropia Asia Cadets->Entropia Asia->Zoku->NBK->NBK Entrepreneur->Kaos->the Ministry
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's an interesting concept...

I assume this is mainly here since it indirectly has to do with politics, etc., which isn't really allowed, but well...

Andrew Yang's the biggest proponent of it that I have read of recently. His idea is to tax 'services' in order to pay for it...

If you are not aware, here there is an income tax, but not a service tax... at least not directly...

so like if you go to a hospital or something you'll pay a copay, and a coinsurance, and possibly a deductible, as well as anything the insurance won't cover (due to any number of made up reasons they create - for example if some insurance says they only want to pay for 2 ultrasounds per pregnancy, they'll pay on the 2, but you'll get the full bill for that third or 4th one, etc.), if you have one, which legally you are supposed to since the president before this one set laws in place for that, etc., which you pay a premium for monthly... but anyways, the Doctor's actual hourly 'service' fee and nurses 'service fee' are not taxed, even though in a roundabout way they kind of are because of how the corrupt insurance industry is well... uh... yes... (most hospitals and clinics charge insane rates of at least 35% markup on everything from the cost of a medication to the cost of a supply including but not limited to the tongue depressors...) ... and all of this is on top of already outdated models of payment like what Medicare and Medicaid use... paying some flat rate no matter what for inpatient services even if that flat rate is more than what the hospital may be charging... so you could have something like some insurance or Medicare pay the hospital or doctor say 500 dollars for something they'd bill only 400 for, and on top of that there's a copay you have to pay too, of oh say 300.00 so your insurance or Medicare will pay 500+you pay copay of 300 for... so 800 paid to hospital for something little ol hospital is only billing 400 for... great system...

so yep, more taxes on already overpriced shit so that everyone can get a free, at least everyone legally here over a certain age, can get free monthly amounts back as sort of a negative income tax, but wait... what the hell...

so uh... yeah... more taxes to pay on top of already paid crap that is way overpaid in the first place... yippiee..
    Last edited by mastermesh; 11-04-2019 at 04:36.

Louise Ranavolana Brooks
    Society
    Stockholm Syndrome
    Images
    fft there is no such thing as free money.
    You have to WEORK for it.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast