PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Universal Basic Income

so what evryone think about this

Cunning Haruto Rat
    Society
    fode et fuge
    Images
    Free things are worth what you pay for them.
    There are many ways to skin a cat but just one way to boil a frog.

Mature
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Bazashabar Baza Daemon
    Society
    The Ministry
    Interesting concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruto Rat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Free things are worth what you pay for them.
    If that were so, then smiles and a helpful hand would be worthless too.
    If the scale goes from zero to a hundred, then where do I and others draw a line of not doing something for free?

Most people say they need to be paid for their work so that they can afford to live, because that is the system we live in. Many people I know would like changes to that system, however. Not complete changes to the system, but where the basics can be met without earnt income required - a universal basic income.

Personally, I think it is time for resources and polluting actions to finally be valued, as these are indeed abused as if they are free and have no consequences. One problem with energy and material prices which reflect this, however, is that poor people have always suffered when prices rise. An UBI model could be used to pay back the higher costs to the people. People as a whole are not worse off, but would 'respect' the use of energy and materials more, as it is now given a higher value. This would lead to better efficiency, less waste etc.

In that sense I agree with the above: thus, energy and materials should not be as 'almost free' as they are now. On top of that, yes I also believe in an UBI which covers the basics of living on top of this energy/pricing model.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    In the Refrigerator, Behind the Mayonnaise, Next to the Ketchup, and to the Left of the Cole Slaw
    Bare BareBones Bones
    Society
    Skillin Villains
    Images
    If you were to give everyone 50 million dollars , they would all be millionaires.

A loaf of bread would also cost 5k dollars and the kid mowing your lawn would charge 25k .
    Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
    11 October 1884 7 November 1962

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Wand AxeMurderer Silva
    Society
    Massive Dynamic
    Images
    I just want to know who is going to pickup the trash in the morning.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Magnus Svarog
    Society
    freelancer
    Images
    If you prevent people from falling low they will never learn to bounce high.

Sandal San Tolk
    Society
    OldTimers
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A better concept would be "Universal Basic Credit" directly at the source of fiat money. This would create a "human gold standard" and remove slavery from the current system where social security expenses are taken by force from the productive, thereby implementing all sections of the UDHR without them conflicting each other.
    1. I NEVER post off-topic.
    2. If you disagree, go to 1.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    George Ace Skywalker
    Society
    Guess Who
    Blog Entries
    Images
    a lot of negativity towards universal basic income here. As far as I know from the studies conducted in this the results were surprisingly positive.

I suspect we are used to the system that we have and something completely different like this isn't taken too seriously by most folks. However, I think there is merit in this system and something like this could be forced upon us by governments when advancements in AI leads to many job losses.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Black Hawk Hawk
    Society
    ROUA
    Images
    UBI is how the economy will work in future or we will go extinct. However, at this time, it can not work at scale.
    Current economy has lots of other problems to solve. The level of automation is not where it should be to allow for UBI based economy.
    A country who decides to implement such a thing, will see that the only way ti sustain it is by taxing the sectors of economy that are productive. The result is that more and more will move to other countries where is just cheaper to produce and sell. For UBI to work, it would need to be implemented in multiple places and those places must have high level of productivity already. Advances in AI will probably bring us there in the next 10-15 years, but not just now.
    Before UBI, there are several other aspects of economy that need to change. One of those aspects is planned obsolescence. An economy that needs to grow and it needs to generate needs, it will want to create products that fail, so new products are purchased. This aspect of economy has good and bad consequences. The bad ones are obvious, but on the flip side, it supports technological advancement and innovation. Another thing is that your products break before you get bored with them. When automation becomes ubiquitous, this will become an aspect that will concern us all.

Further more, even tho I believe UBI will be a feature of our existence in the very near future, I believe that it will lead to us destroying ourselves. Many people will lack the need to chase meaningful goals, and society will crumble, and I expect an outcome similar to the one in rats paradise experiment.
    When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Is just hard on the others.
    Same when you're stupid.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast