PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Black Hawk Hawk
    Society
    ROUA
    Images
    The reason why I want that info is simple. I want to be able to check my assets when I am not in game. I would like to know the TT value of what I have, where a specific item is, because I would like to be able to make decisions about what I have in game when I am not in game.

Also, having access to my skills, allows me to plan future actions. I would like to know how far I am from maxing a specific item. I would like to compute how much skill I would need to chip if I plan to get at some level faster. I would like to be able to estimate my cost for whatever action I plan to get myself involved in.

When I am in game, I do mostly mindless killing. I do not want to spend time doing anything else, because I do not have that much time to play these days.

I was out of the game for many years. I am playing for a bit now, based on what my budget allows me. I do not have that much left. I do not plan any big things anymore. Sometimes friends allow me to use some high level items for a little bit more fun. I sold a lot of skills so I had to start over in some professions. I am using mostly L items these days.
    Stats about my progress are important for me. Sometimes I do stupid things just for fun and I am not surprised if I have some loses when I do so. But when I lose more than I find reasonable, doing what I think is normal gameplay, I will probably stop playing for few more years again.

Having access to all that information would make my life easier. Is not like I can't access those stats now. It is just harder, when it should not be. I can still do what I want to do.
    When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Is just hard on the others.
    Same when you're stupid.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    -Saphire of Dark-
    Society
    Dark Knights Squires
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would prefer they fix stuff that doesn't work properly and implement that which has been promised and not yet been delivered.

Asking them to do what you ask, could break it, and one of my golden rules is:

'If it isn't broken, dont fix it.'

Elite
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Herco Coz Mann
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    The reason why I want that info is simple. I want to be able to check my assets when I am not in game. I would like to know the TT value of what I have, where a specific item is, because I would like to be able to make decisions about what I have in game when I am not in game.

Also, having access to my skills, allows me to plan future actions. I would like to know how far I am from maxing a specific item. I would like to compute how much skill I would need to chip if I plan to get at some level faster. I would like to be able to estimate my cost for whatever action I plan to get myself involved in.

When I am in game, I do mostly mindless killing. I do not want to spend time doing anything else, because I do not have that much time to play these days.

I was out of the game for many years. I am playing for a bit now, based on what my budget allows me. I do not have that much left. I do not plan any big things anymore. Sometimes friends allow me to use some high level items for a little bit more fun. I sold a lot of skills so I had to start over in some professions. I am using mostly L items these days.
    Stats about my progress are important for me. Sometimes I do stupid things just for fun and I am not surprised if I have some loses when I do so. But when I lose more than I find reasonable, doing what I think is normal gameplay, I will probably stop playing for few more years again.

Having access to all that information would make my life easier. Is not like I can't access those stats now. It is just harder, when it should not be. I can still do what I want to do.
    A real student of the game like I was and now I am just a player and killer of small mobs. But for me its still the best game ever and gives one the the chance be like either of us and have great fun.
    Coz "The Bone Merchant"
    If at first you don't succeed, deposit.

Detritus the Troll
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    The reason why I want that info is simple. (...)

The reason shouldn't matter, the main takeaway is that this is example #7389482 of why the game needs an API.
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. - Terry Pratchett

Elite
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Herco Coz Mann
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
    The reason shouldn't matter, the main takeaway is that this is example #7389482 of why the game needs an API.
    What is example #7389482 ?
    Coz "The Bone Merchant"
    If at first you don't succeed, deposit.

Detritus the Troll
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CozMoDan View Post
    What is example #7389482 ?
    Meaning there have been a lot of examples of why we need a plug-in system.

I know it's been mentioned on multiple occasions how useful a good API would be. In fact I'll go as far as to say it's one of MindArk's biggest mistakes. Plug-ins can make or break any game. The vast majority of the player requests that I've seen could easily be solved by the players themselves if MA gave us the ability to do so. Not only would a decent plug-in system alleviate a lot of player frustration, I think it would go a long way towards better retention. The best part is it would free up MindArk to work on bugfixes and content, and not have a huge backlog of various minor UX requests that they may never get to. Plus it allows the players to tailor their experience to their needs rather than MA's one-size-fits-all modus operandi.

I played ESO pretty heavily for a while. In spite of being an extremely well funded AAA title with a large development team, there were plenty of QoL issues that were only made bearable by player-made plug-ins. It's unlikely I would have played it for as long as I did if it weren't for all of the add-ons that made the game great and allowed me to enjoy it. I think for a team as small as MindArk with limited development bandwidth, it's even more critical for them to allow players to help make the game great.
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. - Terry Pratchett

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    ender endermigne migne
    Society
    The White Dots
    Images
    Yes, it would be nice to have an API. Yes, it would be great to see more info about the in-game status of our avatars outside of EU. Will it ever happen? I guess not.

First, be reminded that we were able to see the PED-amount I think until they changed the game engine (or at least in that time range). This means that somebody in management decided to not show it any more. I can't come up with a reason why that makes sense and yes, I'd like to see that, too, along with my current bids in the auction house and PEDs I invested in shares and so on. The idea of that would be to have a grand total of what the TT-value of my avatar is. (Yep, not including skills to be sold as that's dynamic and based on markup). The "My Items"-page is protected by the security code, so it all should be fine.

And then do something similar with skills, grouped in something more meaningful than we have in the skill dialogue in-game.

As all (or at least the vast majority of) software developers playing EU know there are many ways to design and build an API and how to secure that along with traffic shaping and whatnot. However, all of that has no obvious benefit to MindArk. Don't get me wrong, I mean the return of that investment directly resulting from the impact on the player base playing the game. That's what MindArk thinks and MindArk does. I fully agree with those who pointed out the indirect positive impact of that as we could do things more rational, with some planning ahead, ... already. I also would want some more support to present the progress of my avatar in numbers.

I can't remember who said it and the wording of it, but it was mentioned that MindArk wants players to be in-game and not outside doing stuff (small print: "as they can't measure that"). They want players to be online. That's want counts, how many players are playing at the same time. That's a number management wants to see and what they understand. They (probably) don't understand why we play the game or what we plan to do in-game and why (and they don't care). That's also what I consider as a reason why they dropped that (idea of?) the app for the auction house.

And one more thing: All of this we are talking about here isn't something everybody wants. Obviously some number-crunchers including us/me see the benefit, but I believe that the vast majority of players just play and they don't care or understand how the loot system works. Just watch streams of players who rarely stream and listen to their complaints that they didn't have a HOF today while they need it oh-so-much, apparently that's all that matters to them. In MindArk's eye they are supposed to deposit and pay MindArk's bills. MindArk doesn't care who deposits and how much. They just want to see the dough come in. They don't want us to understand how the game works under the hood. Obviously some genuises took a deep dive so we now have, e.g. the skill contribution to professions, comparison charts of tools, guns, ...

So I also code my share of stuff to make the "My Items"-page more useful to me, extract various info from the chat logs, parse traders' markups from their websites, ... I doubt that I can get rid of it any time soon.
    A proud Senior member since 6th of May 2008, 01:47a

Detritus the Troll
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by endermigne View Post
    Yes, it would be nice to have an API. Yes, it would be great to see more info about the in-game status of our avatars outside of EU. Will it ever happen? I guess not.

As all (or at least the vast majority of) software developers playing EU know there are many ways to design and build an API and how to secure that along with traffic shaping and whatnot. However, all of that has no obvious benefit to MindArk

I can't remember who said it and the wording of it, but it was mentioned that MindArk wants players to be in-game and not outside doing stuff (small print: "as they can't measure that"). They want players to be online.
    I was talking about a plug-in API, like most games have, to allow us to create add-ons for the game. Things like being able to re-program the UI - for example, changing the inventory to a sortable/filterable tabbed layout instead of the 1980s thing we have, or adding some useful filters to the AH, or literally almost anything in the dev request section. Things like being able to integrate LBML, or your favorite trading tool, or your favorite logging tool directly into the game (with the added benefit of not having to use OCR), and published through an official repository.

I don't think the benefit could be overstated. As I said in the previous comment, player add-ons can easily make or break a game. Why spend the resources on things that you could let the players handle? It sure seems to work for Bethesda.

I think you are thinking more of a simple RESTful-style API to simply allow us to retrieve data relating to our avatar. I think that would also be very helpful, and there's no reason it couldn't be part of the same system. Certain data calls (e.g. inventory list) could be built as a RESTful service; then have an internal API gateway that the plugin toolkit calls for in-game add-ons, but also setup an external API gateway to expose a subset of those endpoints for external consumption.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Black Hawk Hawk
    Society
    ROUA
    Images
    You are right, an API would be amazing, but I am aware that that would be a lot of work for them to implement. Maybe not the work itself, but business decisions related to what data should be exposed for each call.
    If they would do that, they would make a huge difference.
    An API is a nice dream. I do not see it being implemented. There is always the risk that they expose something they do not intend to expose. This is still an RCE. It is a huge security risk.
    When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Is just hard on the others.
    Same when you're stupid.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    ender endermigne migne
    Society
    The White Dots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
    I was talking about a plug-in API, like most games have, to allow us to create add-ons for the game. Things like being able to re-program the UI - for example, changing the inventory to a sortable/filterable tabbed layout instead of the 1980s thing we have, or adding some useful filters to the AH, or literally almost anything in the dev request section. Things like being able to integrate LBML, or your favorite trading tool, or your favorite logging tool directly into the game (with the added benefit of not having to use OCR), and published through an official repository.
    Oh, whow. Yeah, that would also be great. Then I didn't quite get your initial thoughts However, wouldn't that mean that the game engine would have to provide such kind of skinning or scripting? While skinning doesn't seem "bad" at first, allowing us to script something doesn't sound like something that's going to happen. I mean if I were MindArk I doubt I would allow that (I mean I know me )... Wait, wasn't there talk about Lua?
    A proud Senior member since 6th of May 2008, 01:47a

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast