Suggestion: Open The Floodgates on Opals

Captain Jack

Elite
Society
Endgame
It's been a few years and a certain player has become very wealthy from the market manipulation of Opals. Since the new tiering system has been implemented there is already a significantly increased demand. I propose that the caps be (at least temporarily) removed to allow the market to re-stabilize and meet the demand. Such "rebalancing" has been done in the past on other resources which were similarly manipulated, and we are long overdue for this one.

Last edited:
More opals! More opals for everyone! You get an opal! And you, and you! And you get an opal!

I maybe got a little carried away there...:scratch2:

Ditto on level 5-10 tiering components.

MA Please!

We need this :wise:

more tiering components :yay:

My guess is opals probably drop more from something less crafted like furniture or sumthing, although i have gotten one from ep.3

You guys want more turnover so give them opals :p

My guess is opals probably drop more from something less crafted like furniture or sumthing, although i have gotten one from ep.3

They drop from many commonly clicked BPs, but the drop rate is significantly reduced due to item caps and hoarding for the purpose of market manipulation.

What I can see from my hunting is that tier 7 components drop rate was reduced a couple of days before VU and remains at the reduced rate, so I doubt MA want to increase drop rate.

What I can see from my hunting is that tier 7 components drop rate was reduced a couple of days before VU and remains at the reduced rate, so I doubt MA want to increase drop rate.

It doesn't make any sense why they would not want us to tier our gear. Tiers = more turnover, and there's a lot of pent up delayed gratification waiting to blow it's load.

It doesn't make any sense why they would not want us to tier our gear. Tiers = more turnover, and there's a lot of pent up delayed gratification waiting to blow it's load.

They also want to stimulate the market. Opals may be a special case, but as for tier components, there are plenty out there if people are prepared to pay the price for them.

They also want to stimulate the market. Opals may be a special case, but as for tier components, there are plenty out there if people are prepared to pay the price for them.

The drop rate before the VU for higher level tier components was abysmal. Haven't tried hunting after the VU yet.

The drop rate before the VU for higher level tier components was abysmal. Haven't tried hunting after the VU yet.

People still managed to tier their guns though. I'm not saying it can't be tweaked, but let's try to maintain some decent markup.

Put up some auction orders at a good price and they'll get filled.

People still managed to tier their guns though. I'm not saying it can't be tweaked, but let's try to maintain some decent markup.

The drop rate used to be higher. Some mobs were nerfed. Right before the VU was a bad situation. I'm not saying flood the game and kill all markup, but just manage it better and make it possible to tier things at the increased rate this VU seems to want to encourage.

And we learned our lessons from spending high dollar amounts on tiering those weapons.

I'm not saying open the floodgates on everything, but I do think the market should be adjusted on those significantly low drop rate tier components as well. I understand wanting markup in the loot, but at current drop rates even getting 300% for a tier component equates to a nominal addition to markup. I'd prefer to loot more of them and sell at 150%.

It seems to me people forget that the highest tier components drop from mobs not doable solo for most of us. I received some T8-10 nearly every time when participating in shared-loot events with such mobs. Hence I wouldn't say the drop rate is low, rather the rate at which they are targeted. Then there are probably many stacks too small to auction in people's storages or they even get thrown away.

Edit: OP was about opals specifically, This is a different matter. I also recently sold an item which was ready for T3 because the cost was not worth it. Since opals don't go into making more unlimited items, there should be little danger with increasing the drop rate at least temporarily. If it causes a sudden flood in auctions, we know it was hoarders. If the price just normalizes, then it was too low before. If the latter is the case and that was intentional, the logic escapes us and begs an explanation.

Last edited:
Let me give this thread a bump, because it makes NO SENSE to have so many players blocked and not wanting to tier just because Opals are so rare and actively being manipulated by the usual auction house scumbags.

Mindark wake up!

life is rather simple for a bunch of us...

no cheap tiering materials => no tiering.

i think i'm now using the 6th or 7th gun i don't tier, and sorry, getting TT back is nothing but a kick in the nuts, when some materials are 600% or more.

Let me give this thread a bump, because it makes NO SENSE to have so many players blocked and not wanting to tier just because Opals are so rare and actively being manipulated by the usual auction house scumbags.

Mindark wake up!

Cosigned. Would cost me 4500 ped just in opal markup to tier one armor part to t3. Open the floodgates.

They drop from many commonly clicked BPs, but the drop rate is significantly reduced due to item caps and hoarding for the purpose of market manipulation.

Captain Jack, do you have proof that said 'item caps' in fact exist in the game???

I'm not certain that there is such a thing... Instead, I'm of the opinion that it's more like a throttling valve which controls the drop rate, which MA has the ability to adjust 'live'.

Captain Jack, do you have proof that said 'item caps' in fact exist in the game???

I'm not certain that there is such a thing... Instead, I'm of the opinion that it's more like a throttling valve which controls the drop rate, which MA has the ability to adjust 'live'.

Test it for yourself and see what happens.

What's the latest on Opal's? Any response from Mindark?:confused:

What's the latest on Opal's? Any response from Mindark?:confused:

No response from MindArk, though the droprate does seem to be slightly increased. At time of posting, there was a single person with the majority of the listings. In recent weeks there are a lot more known crafters listing Opals, but it's not increased beyond the viability of the market manipulator's pocketbook, as he's still controlling the market and it's still 400%+.

No response from MindArk, though the droprate does seem to be slightly increased. At time of posting, there was a single person with the majority of the listings. In recent weeks there are a lot more known crafters listing Opals, but it's not increased beyond the viability of the market manipulator's pocketbook, as he's still controlling the market and it's still 400%+.

in order to loot opals it's necessary to get globals/hofs, but globals/hofs are scarce because multipliers are.

Would be really interesting to see the stats on how many items are what tier. I'd wager there's more tier 2.99 than any other ingame :laugh:

Back