I think we need an expiration date on posts.

CozMoDan

Elite
Herco Coz Mann
I just opened a post that was over 2 years old. Obliviously I did not know until I looked at the post which was one that I subscribed to over 2 years ago. The post was "I need to change my avatar". Had nothing to do with the subject.

I don't expect the mods to have to check them but maybe after the last post is over 6 months old it could automatically be deleted or closed. I am not sure but I think every post ever made is still in the DB. That takes a tremendous amount of space. Even an auto purge after one year. Please spare the argument about "I want to be able to look back 3 years ago" That is BS and if you do then save it for yourself. Save the mods some time and money and let the delete the old stuff.

I disagree. Its a wealth of information and highly useful. The odd necro bump is nothing compared to what would be lost if it were all deleted. I use the forums search and end up on the forum through google searches a lot.

If anything I find it annoying that very old posts cant be edited, as we then need to re-start new threads to add things to them. So I would go for the opposite! :laugh:

Um no.

I see no reason to delete posts on here. As mentioned there is a lot of good information worth keeping.

Sure, not every post is solid gold, but we are such a small community anyways I don't think we need to resort to trying to save a couple megs of space by deleting a few posts.

I disagree. Its a wealth of information and highly useful. The odd necro bump is nothing compared to what would be lost if it were all deleted. I use the forums search and end up on the forum through google searches a lot.

If anything I find it annoying that very old posts cant be edited, as we then need to re-start new threads to add things to them. So I would go for the opposite! :laugh:

Um no.

I see no reason to delete posts on here. As mentioned there is a lot of good information worth keeping.

Sure, not every post is solid gold, but we are such a small community anyways I don't think we need to resort to trying to save a couple megs of space by deleting a few posts.

Agreed, many like myself like to read over older posts. There is a wealth of info stored on here. It makes no sense to delete it all.

Delete, no.... lock to closed status after 3 years with no replies maybe.

Delete, no.... lock to closed status after 3 years with no replies maybe.

But why? Why is there this huge stigma with being able to reply to a thread just because it's "old", who cares? If there is relevant information being posted on it who cares about the thread age or when the last post was? I mean, if you're going to leave it for 3 years why not just leave it open indefinitely? I mean is there really that many people necroposting threads from 5, 10, 15 years ago?

I don't understand what problem this would be solving? Seems like it's more an OCD thing to have everything neat an tidy and compartmentalized rather than something suggested out of real necessity to solve a burdensome problem IMO.

I think our current system of moderation is perfectly fine.

Best keeping as is in my opinion..........PCF has a wealth of knowledge and covers a large part of EU's history (which is very useful for tractability, fact-checking and even just scratching the odd curiosity itch :cool:).

I don't see any benefit to deleting it.

Not being rude but I new I would get a ton of "Save them" posts. Doesn't anyone realize this is the not the same game is was a year ago let alone 5 or 10 years ago ? I would like someone to show me a post from 3 years ago that is relevant today that is not addressed in a newer post. The play is completely different than 5 years let alone 10-15 years ago. I will, however, say that if the information has to with something like mob location that would be fine but I think that most of the locations have changed over the years.

Truly I mean no offense to anyone just a suggestion that might lead to a little less work on the mods and less strain on the DB which has got to huge by now.

BTW unless you are 711 or Sceria(sp) or another moderator the is no "We" it is them doing all the work. Here again no offense.

Last edited:
Not being rude but I new I would get a ton of "Save them" posts. Doesn't anyone realize this is the not the same game is was a year ago let alone 5 or 10 years ago ?.

Hear Hear :wtg::wtg:

'I want to look back 3 years ago.' :yup:

Sometimes I may want to look back 10 or more years ago.

Best thing to do to avoid necroposting :revive: is to get in the habit of checking thread date before hitting Submit Reply.

I would like someone to show me a post from 3 years ago that is relevant today that is not addressed in a newer post.

There you go, from 2013: new missions mini-guide

Believe it or not I still receive +rep sometimes (last one was this year) and even questions ingame from newbies.

I'm sure there are much better examples than that one, with much much more relevant information.

Please don't delete stuff. Period.

Not being rude but I new I would get a ton of "Save them" posts. Doesn't anyone realize this is the not the same game is was a year ago let alone 5 or 10 years ago ? I would like someone to show me a post from 3 years ago that is relevant today that is not addressed in a newer post.

Here's one from 2014 that I just linked to a new player in chat: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...?257702-Efficiency-scale-of-Mining-Amplifiers

This is just one example that immediately came to mind, as others said there's tons of worthwhile info here.

Loot 2.0 might have brought some changes to hunting, but the vast majority of game mechanics hasn't changed, and most of the older info relating to mining, crafting, trading, items, beastiary, and so forth is still good info. And really... if this is not the same game as 5 years ago, then why am I still able to play so effectively with 10+ year old gear?

How about instead of removing something useful to others, you just learn to read the dates on posts and make your own judgement call on the accuracy of the data?

Last edited:
Truly I mean no offense to anyone just a suggestion

No offence intended by those who disagree either. I don't want old content to be erased as a matter of principle. And while there already is a rule against necro posting, enforcement has mellowed down over time and that's cool in my book. Just relax, enjoy your game and leave others to theirs.

I see the old posts listed and you are assuming these have not been address in a later post(s), so of little historical value. Good posts from all. Having said that how many 1000s of posts are worthless ?

Surely any questions answered in the older posts could be asked and answered again in posts the present :).

Anyway I don't think either side is going to change their mind, I know I am not. So there we are we agree to disagree and all is well, hence the Term "Freedom of Speech and Thoughts".

Thanks for the replies.

I see the old posts listed and you are assuming these have not been address in a later post(s), so of little historical value. Good posts from all. Having said that how many 1000s of posts are worthless ?

Surely any questions answered in the older posts could be asked and answered again in posts the present :).

You're right... I'm sold on your idea now, and in fact I think you should be the curator. You need to go through the potentially hundreds of posts every day that are marked for deletion and verify if the information is either no longer applicable or is covered in a more recent post, so that we are only deleting the redundant ones.

Good thing you're retired!

You're right... I'm sold on your idea now, and in fact I think you should be the curator. You need to go through the potentially hundreds of posts every day that are marked for deletion and verify if the information is either no longer applicable or is covered in a more recent post, so that we are only deleting the redundant ones.

Good thing you're retired!

Hehe nice try, I would Do "delete *.* where date$ < 12/31/2017" :).

I would like someone to show me a post from 3 years ago that is relevant today that is not addressed in a newer post.

How about the entire Creatures subforum?

How about the entire Creatures subforum?

I wondered who would be the first to a statement like that, let's just kill everyone that way we get all the bad people. The discussion was fine people making valid statements and I could see their side. Not to say I agreed with them but valid non-the less. But your statement serves no purpose at all, thanks for the comment.

I wondered who would be the first to a statement like that, let's just kill everyone that way we get all the bad people. The discussion was fine people making valid statements and I could see their side. Not to say I agreed with them but valid non-the less. But your statement serves no purpose at all, thanks for the comment.

What the hell are you talking about now?

I gave you a direct, and correct, answer to a direct question that you had posed, and you give me this utterly irrelevant and needlessly aggressive response.

I can only assume you don't understand what I said, and have made no effort to do so, since that is the way you appear to live your life.

Last edited:
I not sure what that means ?

Search engine ratings come from content. Threads are data that makes this forum, and indirectly the game itself more popular through that type of stuff.

There's a lot of other reasons to keep old threads around too.... mark up on auctions bundles all deeds for shops and apartments together, etc. New folks without that history to look up may pay mall shop markup on an apartment etc.

Auto locking threads after so many months with no reply seems more logical than deleting it all.... but not sure if forum software used here has a way to do it.... also may not be best solution as some old threads may just get edited by whoever's posted it instead of replied to, etc...

Last edited:
What the hell are you talking about now?

I gave you a direct, and correct, answer to a direct question that you had posed, and you give me this utterly irrelevant and needlessly aggressive response.

I can only assume you don't understand what I said, and have made no effort to do so, since that is the way you appear to live your life.

Unless I misunderstand "How about the entire Creatures subforum?", which I think means deleting everything about every creature my comment stands. Having said that if it does not mean that then explain what it does mean. There is a big difference between deleting everything and having an expiration date IMO.

I do agree mostly with with mastermesh about the locking and if the OP wants to edit then start a newer thread which would put it back up front for all to see and the OP could give more info about content in the title line.

Back