Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Alpha
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Titus Wolf Lupine
    Society
    The Dirty Dozen
    Images
    i think this has all been studied before, and the result was that armor repairs are the same for all armors dependent on the damage they absorb. if you hunt argos in ghost, the repair bill will be more than if you hunted them in gremlin. ghost absorbs more of the damage than gremlin does. if you hunt gradivores, the cost of repairs on the gremlin will be higher than if you hunted them in ghost. hasnt this been proven time and again? you take the least protective armor you can that doesnt also increase fap costs. meaning, wear gremlin argo hunting as long as your auto heal regenerates your HP and you dont have to fap much. i can take 1 hp hits all day long in gremlin hunting argos and never fap, if id been in ghost, it would have absorbed all the damage and would have cost me more in repairs. make sense?

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Vlugge Witte Harrie
    Society
    Delta Force Elite
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dbelinfante
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    uh-oh... I think we need to send the paramedics to Witte, he's having an aneurysm RIGHT NOW!

Nah people may think what they want. As long as they are not saying its the truth, without any facts to back it up. It seems Surreall is going to test it, I can only encourage this! (we all know stuff like this can change).
    Member of Delta Force Elite and admin of Entropedia

Young
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Dave Ace Flyster
    Society
    Desert Eagles
    Hey all,

Sorry if i have brought an old diuscussion and didnt research well enough, i do appreciate though the replies and input and Witte all respect for the work you have done before and the explanation of the amoutn of damage it takes decides armour cost and as ghost takes the most damage will absorb more cost. Easy and makes sense i will still do a test tonight for myself belief and edit my original post with what i find.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Cedrick Lem Wales
    Society
    Federation of Free Wanderers
    Images
    Thanks for answering my question too. I must say i've read many threads on the same subject before including those of Witte's.

I thought I already knew the answer to my question from what I've previously read but until today I didnt quite fully understand the mechanics of how exactly the decay (read repair bill) on armour was calculated. Thanks to AkiranBlade & Witte for making it crystal clear for me +rep for that.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Society
    Reservoir Dogs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doer

Some rules of thumb for you, though:
    -in general armor decays according to damage absorbed
    -in two sets of armor absorbing the same amount of damage, the one with greater protection will decay more (higher cost/point protection as total prot. goes up)
    -there is a minimal decay for each set of armor per hit as Witte mentioned

That's really as complicated as it gets. Also as someone else pointed out, you only need one hit/set to find the decay. Use the sweat/fruit trick on the tt.

Edit: don't let dbelinfante fool you; if ghost decays more it's because it's protecting more. It's as simple as that.
    first off, no ghost do decay more then alot of other armors with equal protection. atleast the last time i checked not all to long ago

second, did they really change decay to damage absorbed? it used to be damage taken and i was sure it still was this way, but if you are sure then i guess i might be wrong.

and for whoever it was that said test on mobs that do 1dam.. are you crazy? how are you supposed to know how much damage you actually took. you need a mob that always do MORE then 1dam and only one damtype and make an easy equation... hp loss + armor protection = damage taken :P

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    David "Doer" Falkayn
    Society
    Rangers
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roth
    first off, no ghost do decay more then alot of other armors with equal protection. atleast the last time i checked not all to long ago

second, did they really change decay to damage absorbed? it used to be damage taken and i was sure it still was this way, but if you are sure then i guess i might be wrong.

and for whoever it was that said test on mobs that do 1dam.. are you crazy? how are you supposed to know how much damage you actually took. you need a mob that always do MORE then 1dam and only one damtype and make an easy equation... hp loss + armor protection = damage taken :P

Well if you recall the tests done by Scatha (you posted in that thread i see now), the conclusion from the data was quantified in this equation and summarized here, which also mentions the strange outliers that didn't conform (cut on gremlin, impact on vigi), leading to this plot. Other testers have come to the same conclusion that it is more-or-less a cost-per-damage absorbed as is reflected in their guides to cost/dmg absorbed. Witte confirmed that the reason for the anomalous decay seen before is due to a minimum decay/hit when he prepared this chart, which shows that there is a minimum decay/hit for every piece of armor amounting to its total protection*10 in mpec. Edit to expand: So armors with lots of protection but just a few points in one area will decay more than would be expected for damage just of that type (impact on vigi, cut on gremlin, etc.) However for combined damages that doesn't matter (it's the total damage absorbed that's considered, not the damage by type), so eg hunting trox or other i/c/s mobs with gremlin or vigi will not cost you more because of the cut or impact anomaly. This finding also explains why i found that an elec plate with 9 protection decayed less than wearing gremlin instead (which has less elec protection) against bristles in an informal test.

The minimum decay means that overprotection is even more of a waste if you are grossly overprotected. Wearing shadow to hunt argo young would be idiotic.

To be fair i have never tested ghost myself, but i haven't seen anything to make me believe that it or any other armor will be significantly off the formula etopia derived.

Update:
    VU 9.1 brought changes to the armor decay system.

The way that armor decay now works is this:
    -an armor protects some amount of damage, x, from a hit
    -the durability divided by 1000 is subtracted from 100% and the result multiplied with x
    -this new number, y, is the effective damage absorbed
    -the decay is based on y, following the curve:
    Last edited by Doer; 12-17-2007 at 21:00. Reason: Added link to Eto's formula, added VU 9.1 change link and durability info
    Champion of reason, unraveler of MA's mysteries...forever n00ber
    Myth busters: Evade/Defense Skills Weapon damage Armor decay Unlocking Skills Weapon attachments
    Other esoterica: My Story Luck Project Entropia: what's in a name? More bang

Quote Originally Posted by narfi View Post
    Everything but friendships is clutter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3