Area effect weapons?

Centech

Elite
Society
BAHQ4LIFE!!!
Jason Centech Tanner
I think it would be cool if there were some area effect weapons. You know, sometimes I'm being mobbed by atrox or something and wish I could just whip out the machin gun and spray the crowd.. or maybe throw my one use L hand grenade at them. I realize it would take a bit of work to make sure they don't upset the combat balance, but it would be fun.

What do you guys think?

That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure how a grenade would work. There would have to be a chance the you took damage too if you didn't through it far enough away. It would definitely add another aspect to hunting.

And idea that has come up many times. And if I am not wrong Marco (or some other MA representative) stated that area weapons never ever will be introduced. So, that kindof wraps it up. ^_^

I would have to agree that these may be nice idea but would never come in as it would be totaly impossible to set the efficency

Sadly the real cash nature of EU makes it very hard to balance new weapon types. MA has responded to this by making "premium" forms of combat that are flashier and more elitist but more expensive as well. Mindforce is of course the best example of this, and i'm pretty sure any pet combat will fall into that category. Mining amps are another example of the way they give players a chance to play higher stakes. So i wouldn't be surprised to see, at some point, (L) grenades and such that do some fixed amount of total damage at some decidedly low eco.

Here's how something like that might work that wouldn't upset the balance, but would give people the option of paying top dollar for some carnage: I take a stock of three Doer Die npg102 (L)s (non-personnel grenade 102), each with a full tt of 4 peds. I put the Sollomate PEL Mk1 (Personal Explosive Launcher) on my quickbar at emergency weapon position, #9. I'm out hunting with the new herd behavior AI and make the mistake of shooting a berycled old alpha, who calls the pack to him. Suddenly i find myself surrounded!
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Calmly i tap '9', and then launch an npg102. As it explodes, it spreads 1100 damage evenly to the mobs around me (400 pecs*2.75 dmg/pec...i have maxed out stats on it :D )--in this case there happen to be 10 mobs within a 3 m radius, so about 110/mob--but never more than 366/mob (1/3 of the total) preventing it from being used against a single mob eg *cough*spiders*cough*. This wipes out the bery youngs competely and injures the rest. Fortunately the blast stuns the affected mobs for a couple seconds, delaying their attacks. Even so, by the time the 4 second reload time of the PEL Mk1 is over (it is, after all, just a Mk1), i need to fap before i launch another salvo to clear out some more chickens. Then i fap again and draw my pistol to finish off the remaining berys. Finally i run around looting mangled corpses, laughing maniacally.

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Unfortunately in the process i stumble into a swarm of ignis, and the impossible-to-hit bugs hover above my head, sapping my health and causing huge amounts of frustration. Although i contemplate blowing them all to smithereens in a massive overkill with a smaller grenade, the npg101, prudence overcomes passion and i instead enable my Chikara spray atomizer SA-100 and use one of the 20-pec Stinky Bug Bomb 101 (L)s i have in inventory. The ignis all fall to the ground, stunned, and i run off before they recover. (Alternative scenario: the bugs are dead, but unlootable. Heck, there are times i'd run around looking for swarms of ignis to bomb if i could kill them that way. lol)

Note that the grenades are designated non-personnel; They only work on mobs. There are many ways to balance this should it need more tweaking. Anti-personnel Grenades that can injure players (APGx0x series) could be launched greater distances and be less economical than the NPG series. They would also injure the person launching them if exploded too close, and could do more than 1/3 total damage to a single avatar (maybe up to 2/3?), making them useful for PvP. Naturally they would do at least a majority of shrapnel damage (a damage type to my knowledge not currently done), but there could also be a APG20x series for napalm grenades that do burn, perhaps. Mortars and other interesting weapons could be managed a similar way. A reworked npg109 would be a formidable piece of ordnance capable of taking out a cluster of HUGE mobs... at a price. It would also require a very high level of ordnance skill to get full damage out of, should the explosives end up being skill-based in effect. The reworked APG109 would be WWIII-in-a-can, for that extra-special Landgrab surprise.

Anyway this is just in fun to point out that there are many possibilities that would make the universe more enjoyable and offer more options.

Last edited:
Ugh Ignis.

Bump for an igni armageddon option.

Doer said:
use one of the 20-pec Stinky Bug Bomb 101 (L)s i have in inventory.
EXCUSE ME!!! :wise:

I think you will find i hold copyright on all Stinky weapons, improved and modified as well.
After the massive amount of cabbage i consume, i think i deserve some recognition for this. :silly2:

(well done for a constuctive, thought out reply though) ;)

Or you could use the 'Trident II (D5) UGM-133A'
i pray nobody ever does...........

Heres to a spray effect machine gun or limited radius grenade then.

Stinky, the flatuent (under the terms of the Chemical Weapons Convention)

Grenade!!!

:)

AG

dont like it
hard to implement, especially with eco
price would go trough the roof, so, the normal player has 0 of it again
well, with the current trapping system you will damage 5 mobs with it, max :D , no matter how many are around
then i see loads of bugs comming, just regarding the grenade/area weapon/ mass annihilation
again there would be something implemented, that causes more problem than it solves, with time wasted for developing, that had rather been spent in finding and removing current bugs

Alice said:
dont like it
hard to implement, especially with eco

I actually thought this out quite thoroughly. Yes, eco can be adjusted if need be, that's not my job, it's the balancing people at MA (if there are such things). As with all things in EU it should be skill-dependent with the lower level grenades easier to max out. As far as implementation, even i, with my noobish skills, can come up with easy pseudo code for this.

price would go trough the roof, so, the normal player has 0 of it again

The point of making them (L), aside from the fact that they clearly are a consumable item, is that: 1) it improves the economy of the game by providing an outlet for the miner->crafter dead end commonly occuring now and 2) the prices of (L) items available in decent quantities (ie with at least a couple unlimited BPs out there and no platinum needed) are reasonable, and what is more, tend to stabilize at a level commensurate with the usefulness of the item (IMO a good thing all around), which helps balance things.

As i pointed out at the very beginning these would most likely be used by people looking to have a bit of fun at a bit of expense, just like mindforce hunting, or people in need of an emergency weapon (typically a weapon one can't use economically anyway).

well, with the current trapping system you will damage 5 mobs with it, max :D , no matter how many are around

Yes obviously my scenario is a bit of an extreme case, both in number of mobs and in effectiveness. The new physics engine that is coming, by all accounts, very soon, should help with the trapping issues because it will help reduce the nonexistent collisions, etc. (If not i'm going to be rather peeved.)

then i see loads of bugs comming, just regarding the grenade/area weapon/ mass annihilation
again there would be something implemented, that causes more problem than it solves, with time wasted for developing, that had rather been spent in finding and removing current bugs

I'm all in favor of bugs being fixed, and it should be #1 priority for MA. However whether we like it or not (and i, for one, do), they will continue to add things to EU. This is, IMO, an addition to EU that would be a real asset both for the improved enjoyment and options to the hunters and other players and for finding uses for a lot of random bits that might be tt fodder now. We need more (L) items rapidly consumed that can take very common tt fodder. It's far more satisfying to sell your loot than tt it.

no need to have limited grenades, you mention a grenade launcher
sounds like a support weapon or heavy weapon skill ;)
so, make the grenade ammo, heavy ammo, or whatever, and the launcher limited, and it is ok, altough i really dislike limited stuff
there are no support weapon systems atm, so this could be the first indeed

but when i think back to my times with my sorceress in another game, then you usually skilled mass attacks, and those were nasty against all "mobs"
if you would implement such things not really carefully, you have something like a mod fap for hunting, and this would kill the eco, if the mod faps, imk2 and now even the opalo didnt already, or are on the best way to do it
now, tell me one thing that MA implemented with care (except decay, this is working most of the time ;) )
just to recover the pieces of the nuked eco would take years

Hmm, i think this thread (and the new VU 8.12) show that Doer might even work for MA! :eek:

Or the MA balancing manager has had a good read :eek::eek:

Now let's see what the future of area affect weapons will bring us (eco and usability wise).

errr.... BUMP!

Back