Skilling - Evaluation and Statistics from 7.4 /7.51

Da Celt

Provider
Wicklow mountains, the wild garden of Ireland
To help end the speculation, antidotal evidence and ‘feeling’ discussions on how new PE skill gain functionality works, it has been proposed to do a few rounds of testing to get the actual facts and figures. The following is to get the ball rolling –

Requirements:
=== Keep it simple, get a good guideline as to the effect on skill gains using 3 parameters (a) mobs, (b)weapons and (c)different skill lvls. The result will be in skill gains per 10ped decay of weapon/ammo (ie 1 and half axes). Only one weapon is used to kill mobs, ie no finishing weapons. I used Rascal armor, may not make any difference on skill gain results.

skills_253471.jpg

Results so far
==========
1) In V7.4 using Valor at 1.2k level was marginal more profitable(depending on mob type) and a huge 80% more skill gain then using an Axe. This has completly changed around with V7.51 where now the axe has 70% more skill gain then valor.

2) Secondary skills : Secondary skill gain difference indicates same difference in skill gain between axe and valor ie 70%.

3) With low end skills under 2k its BY FAR more skill gain and somewhat more profitable(if hitting small mobs) to use Axe over either valor/determination.

Notes:
==========
1) Because no finishing weapon was used with the valor, it resulted in one less mob killed then same test with an axe. If a finishing weapon (jester) was used I would expect the mob kill amount to be about 10% less then axe, with a stronger mob this difference is made up in speed of kill/cost of armor decay.

Future
=======
Come on folks, if you want to see more, then I now need 2 more volunteers: one mid skill level of 3 to 4LB and one high 7 to 8LB to repeat tests with Argonaut Young (bunch of them reside just south of Hades)

Test Instructions:
1) Bring a set of 2 axesX1 and a valor. A nice gun is needed to to kill any none Argonaut young mobs that get in your way without effecting melee skills. If you want to make things easier you could repair 2 axes to 5.74peds each, and once both are depleted you test is over.

2) mark down you LB and CR stats. Start with axe, start hacking the young. Count the mob amount you kill, the amount of swings and the amount of loot. ONLY use axe no finish weapon. Once on to second axe pay close attention to decay and only allow 10peds worth of decay. After 10 peds axe decay then use your gun to finish final mob if required. If any none test mobs get in your way kill with a gun not a melee weapon.

3) mark down new LB and CR stats. Start with valor, repeat instructions from (2) only use valor as finish weapon.

4) Post result on forum

Last edited:
Test Stats

Specifics of test
==========
(Test 1 – V7.4) ____AXE X1____
9 mob killed – 179 swings – Loot 7.55ped - 20 ave swings per mob
Long Blade start: 1222.1 end: 1225.4 difference +3.3
Combat reflexes: 688.5 end: 690.5 difference +2

(Test 2 – V7.4) ____VALOR____
8 mob killed – 64 swings – Loot 14.1ped – 8 ave swings per mob
Long Blade start: 1225.4 end: 1231.3 difference +5.9 (80% increase over test 1)
Combat Reflexes: 690.5 end: 692.8 difference +2.3 (15% increase over test 1)
(Test 3, 4,5,6,7,8 specifics in thread mail)

(Test 3 – V7.51) ____AXE X1____
8.75 mob killed – 185 swings – Loot 11.45ped - 21 ave swings per mob
Long Blade start: 1579.1____end: 1586.1 difference +7
Combat reflexes: 782.4_____end: 784.1 difference +1.7

(Test 4 – V7.51) ____AXE X1____
9.75 mob killed – 185 swings – Loot 20.2ped - 21 ave swings per mob
Long Blade start: 1601.2____end: 1608.2 difference +7
Combat reflexes: 787.6_____end: 791.2 difference +2.6

(Test 5 – V7.51) ____VALOR____
7 mob killed – 67 swings – Loot 2.5ped – 9.57 ave swings per mob
Long Blade start: 1586.1____end: 1590.2 difference +4.1
Combat reflexes: 784.1_____end: 785.9 difference +1.8

(Test 6 – V7.51) ____VALOR____
7.5 mob killed – 65 swings – Loot 6ped – 8.66 ave swings per mob
Long Blade start: 1590.2____end: 1594.9 difference +4.7
Combat reflexes: 785.9_____end: 785.9 difference 0

(Test 7 – V7.51) ____Determination____
7.5 mob killed – 62 swings – Loot 9.2ped – 8.26 ave swings per mob
Long Blade start: 1594.9____end: 1597.1 difference +2.2
Combat reflexes: 785.9_____end: 787.2 difference +1.3

(Test 8 – V7.51) ____Determination____
7 mob killed – 62 swings – Loot 6.14ped – 8.26 ave swings per mob
Long Blade start: 1597.1____end: 1601.2 difference +4
Combat reflexes: 787.2_____end: 787.6 difference +0.4

Last edited:
Nice test Da Celt, but there is a problem...
Noticed that there are some people loving testing and such, however the results are not that clear.

In the above examples, you use a valor but you say that was an axe swing.

Also, you say how many swings are used to kill a mob in average and you also say how many skills you got in average.

But, you are doing less swings with a valor than an axe (only 1/3), so your skills gain are also smaller.

Then, the batch size is insignifiant, you can't take a proper conclusion after you killed only 9, 8 or 8.75 :)rolleyes: ) mobs.

P.S. People don't want to decypher some of your test results, people want nice graphics, short results, people want to know only clear informations.
It's hard to follow other's tests when the data is not properly presented and formated.
BTW, I was trying to do some constructive criticism. :D

Thanks for the feedback Araise, i've enjoyed reading all of your testing threads over on EP. The axe swing thing was a cut/paste issue, i'll remove the description.
I'm a software analyst/developer by profession myself for last 10 year, so testing and eval is second nature to me..

These tests are not extensive or conclusive; there purpose is “to get a good guideline as to the effect on skill gains”

“you are doing less swings with a valor than an axe (only 1/3), so your skills gain are also smaller.” This is one of the reasons for this test, your making the assumption that all swing regardless of weapon return same skill gain. That’s an unsubstantiated assumption, in V7.4 it certainly didn’t hold, in V7.51 it may hold but only for specific skill levels. Example.. An under 2k LB skilled player can swing an axe, valor or determination and return the same amount of skill gain per swing when tested again same mob, BUT for 4k LB skilled players, the skill gain from an axe might be half that from valor/deter. This is what the tests are for.

“Then, the batch size is insignificant”
You have a point on the batch size, but then I’m keeping it simple to get others involvement, a 3 batch average(10 peds decay) each would be better – But, on the plus side its been quite consistent so far regarding skill gains on 10 ped decay recordings. No huge deviations.

“people want nice graphics”
LOL. Your right, and I liked yours.. I’m in the process of putting results in to a graph format. Lazy folks what every thing served to them in bite sided easy to swallow one liners. LOL.

My objective here is to keep it simple will clear fixed goals and repeatable process. The exactness of the results is not the objective, an overall general evaluation of skill gain is. Most would get lost in the heavy detailed layer (ie current player skills, all secondary skill and skill gain, missed swings, lag etc).

Simple Questions –
1) What is the cheapest way to skill if your LB is under 2k or between 2 and 4k
2) What is the secondary skill gain compared to primary.
3) TBA

Arise said:
In the above examples, you use a valor but you say that was an axe swing.

Also, you say how many swings are used to kill a mob in average and you also say how many skills you got in average.

But, you are doing less swings with a valor than an axe (only 1/3), so your skills gain are also smaller.

I think people forget one addition we got with 7.4: One msg of skill gain is NOT equal on all qeapons, and every time. One pling can be 2 levels at one hit, and 1/4 level on another hit. And I get different skillgains concidering weapons, and they do not match people at my skill-level. It also seems that skills differ from mob to mob and person to person. I get lots of skills on fuga (!) but other soc-mates don't. They get skills on mobs I don't get on, and this is also common with others in my same skill-group. So testing seems only relevant to ones self, not to others. This theory needs further investegation, and one way to do that is to gather lots of people of the same skill-group and test.

Another thing I'm thinking of is that, lets say person A has 2k lb and person b has 2k lb. Most people think both should get same skillgains on same mob, but I think that other skills might influence, so the total of all skills is the relevant number to use, not every single skill.

Greetings,

I believe the first post description will work so long as you (Da Celt) obtain all the skills of the testers before and after.

That way if any of the test was inconclusive or doesn't relate to each tester, it will be clear as to why (because other skills are affecting the rate of gain).

It's not clear if OTHER skills affect the skill your testing at that time, so comparing the results (of at least four testers) should de-cloud the evidence.

Good luck.

Sakti

Back