Project Entropia BETA and CoT BUGS

Status

Tigerman

Edward Lorenz
Society
Imperial Dreams
During BETA and CoT phases of project entropia there was obviously a fair bit of interesting bugs. In this thread I will talk a little about some of them.
Due to limitations on pic usage in posts, i will have to add posts with links to the pics. Sorry for the inconvenience

Creature Offset:
For a period of time there was a bug which made the creatures appear in one position on the screen and a slightly different one on the servers.
The result of this was that you would have to “probe” the mobs by shooting in different places around it to find out where the servers had them located. This could look rather strange as you would be shooting 10 meters to the side of the creature instead of at the actual creature.

Attacking Carcasses:
Sometimes when a creature was killed, they would keep on walking and attacking you as if they were alive. This of course being very annoying as you cant kill whats already dead.
This bug was most common on the Armax which also deals fairly much damage, making it hard to be able to kill the creature and loot it before it killed you in its state of deadness.

Stuck Creatures:
Another nice creature bug was the creatures that did not move.
The downside was that in most cases they could not be killed either.

Ghosts with equipment:
In the beginning we had personalized ghosts and as long as those where around we didn’t really have much “ghost bugs” however when they changed the ghosts to the current “generic ghost” we got some interesting bugs, like ghosts that still had their equipment in their hands, of course not being able to use it. Oh wait, not being able to use them aren’t that obvious with a bug, is it?

Ghosts with health:
Another nice bug that appeared with the ghosts was the ghosts that had health.
Sometimes a creature would do full damage on you, even if you wore armor and some sort of delay in the system made the system realize you had armor on after you died, giving you negative damage.
This could for example be that you took 100 damage and died, for the server then to realize you wore armor and you’d take -50 damage. Leaving you as a ghost roaming the world with 50 health.

Invisibility:
One of the very annoying bugs to come across was invisible people. I’m not really sure what triggered this, but the result was that certain people on your screen would be invisible so that you could not see them. Just think of how annoying an invisible PKer would be..

Partial Invisibility:
Another nice bug I caught a few times was the partial invisibility.
This bug usually appeared during logon and you would be for example a face with no textures walking around in the towns and the rest of you would be invisible. Quite fun, but also quite annoying.

Flying:
During some of the more laggy periods you could stumble across a bug that was infact very fun but also, if you where hunting, damn annoying.
You would walk around, start rubberbanding a little just to suddenly go ballistic and fly large distances landing at random locations you hadn’t even been to before.

“Tigerman is off the grid”:
Now this bug is kind of similar to the Flying bug, just that this bug would take you off the map.
Sometimes when walking around you could step onto a specific coordinate with the result that you was teleported to a location that was displayed as $.0, $.0, $.0.
The good thing about this bug was that you could simply relog and be back on the map in most cases.
Also when we had the smaller map that spanned from outside of Port Atlantis in the SW to the outskirts of Chimera Canyons in the NE, it was possible to walk outside the map and fall off. This was a much more difficult bug to handle and support would have to get you back onto the map.

Help me! I’m Stuck!:
One of the most annoying bugs that has been in the game is the bug where you got stuck. This would mostly happen in shopcontainers or during logon and you would be stuck in the ground or the floor of a container. There also was other variations where you just got totally stuck and could not move.
Another nice bug that appeared while there was appartements was that you could become stuck in mid-air under your appartement because you fell through the floor or similar events occurred.
If I recall right, this was why the apparements was removed from the BETA and did not come back until recently.
Another very efficient way to get stuck was to take a trip to hadesheim.
During BETA this town was horribly bugged and quite often you rubberbanded into a building and you could not get back out.
This is why the T button originally was implemented and it worked in such a manner that you was moved to a random location nearby.
The T button was originally based on a command you could type in the chat window.
Sadly I don’t remember the command but it was on the format “:stuck”.

Duplicating items:
Yes, there you go! Sometimes items in your inventory just decided it was time to breed like rabbits and started duplicating.
The duped items would have 0 PED repair, but after repair they could be used just as any other item.
This happened to me at least 3 times, duping all the items in my inventory except from the items that was equipped. What I had equipped was mostly my Improved FireForge ARR 8000 which sadly didn’t get duped.
Some people also found out how to trigger this bug and used it actively.
This is probably one of the worst bugs that have been around in Project Entropia to date, as it totally destroyed the market and it took somewhere in the neighbourhood of one year before the market stabilized again. Personally I wonder if the prices would be even worse now than they are if this hadn’t happened. It probably wouldn’t though.

Gun bug:
A very nice bug was that sometimes when switching between guns, you could get guns with “altered” stats. For example switching from ModMerc to Imp8k you could end up having a Imp8k with ModMerc speed. Quite sweet :D

Lag:
The lag during BETA and CoT was generally not bad however, the last couple of VUs before PE went GOLD and the first couple of VUs after PE went GOLD however there was IMMENSE lag.
You could walk 10 meters, just to start bouncing around like a ball in a pinball game and on the worst occasions you even started bouncing without moving at all!
If you think that some of the lag storms now are bad, you sure didn’t play around GOLD launch! ;)

Last edited:
Stuck creatures - Picture

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Ghosts with equipment - Picture

Invisibility - Pictures

Partial Invisibility - Picture

I remember the ghosts. I always like those. Thats how i got most of my TPs. Get killed on purpose, set autorun and sit back. Im sure thats why they made the changes. The new system works better i think.

Suicide

Help me! I’m Stuck! - Pictures

Don't forget the bugged claim rods that wouldn't ever go away. That's why MA implemented a timer on all mined claims. At one time there were hundreds of claim rods all over Eudoria, I remember using some of them as markers to remember where I was they remained for so long. It also revealed the mining pattern to many people who didn't know it yet that went from SW to NE every 7 secs there was a spawn.

hey i remember that blue box. it was in the tall tower in troy. must have been some sort of 3d rendering origin marker or sumthing.

And this was me bot hunting in my underwear :)

This was a great bug.

1. Get shot by bot.
2. Revice at Billy's
3. Go hunt some bot, well target practice really as they wouldnt shoot back. All that Nemesis!

I remember the invisibility bugs but they were still around after BETA and CoT. I didn't start playing til VU 5.4.

Most of the BETA and CoT bugs made to late VU 5.X,a few made it to late 6.X VU and some are still around

And TheBeast..admitting you took advantage of a bug means your a exploiter accoriding to EULA :wise:

Knuckles said:
Most of the BETA and CoT bugs made to late VU 5.X,a few made it to late 6.X VU and some are still around

And TheBeast..admitting you took advantage of a bug means your a exploiter accoriding to EULA :wise:

Right. And you're a fucking angel :rolleyes:

Tigerman said:
Attacking Carcasses:
Sometimes when a creature was killed, they would keep on walking and attacking you as if they were alive. This of course being very annoying as you cant kill whats already dead.
This bug was most common on the Armax which also deals fairly much damage, making it hard to be able to kill the creature and loot it before it killed you in its state of deadness.
still around at vu 7.1 or 7.2 in zeus

Tigerman said:
Stuck Creatures:
Another nice creature bug was the creatures that did not move.
The downside was that in most cases they could not be killed either.
hapened to me som day ago

Tigerman said:
Invisibility:
One of the very annoying bugs to come across was invisible people. I’m not really sure what triggered this, but the result was that certain people on your screen would be invisible so that you could not see them. Just think of how annoying an invisible PKer would be..
i am often invisible , and i was it today again :p

Phobia said:
Right. And you're a fucking angel :rolleyes:

I aint a angel but I dont trap,exploit and all that shit :wise:

Knuckles said:

Fraid not mate, submitted email to MA regarding this at the time and reply was that they had no problem whatsoever in people taking advantage of the situation I'll have a look see if I can find the email and post it.

A little summary

The Trooper Bug:
This bug i think didnt occur untill well into gold.

Other bugs:
As mentioned, some of these bugs had a long life and some of them still occur from time to time.
The only difference between when they occur now and when they occured before is that people think they are "new" when they happen now as its not so common anymore

Many "old" bugs come again with new VU. Sometimes 1 year after they was fixed last time. Good thing is that PE staff now got experience with those bugs and fix them faster.

/Kjetil :cool:

Status
Back