Is buying or selling your skills worth the investment?

IHMJack

Provider
Is buying or selling your skills worth the investment?

Alot of people say you will lose money hunting, mining, crafting. People usually count (money bought in - expenses spent) but I think the correct way to account for this is (money bought in + skill gained value - expenses spent), understand my idea??? so can you still profit even as a noob in professions if you sell your skills to make up for your lost?????

I understand that high skills is what you need to minimize cost and maximize gains. So is it worth the investment to buy a skill implant or just to earn it the hard way??? during the time you work on your professions with noob skills you will lose money, but if you buy a implant to use, you can skip the "losing money noob period", and then you have to account for skills you can resell later if you happen to quit that profession as asset you own. Understand my idea?????

If once I already earned my skills the hard way should I keep my skills, or should I sell it? which is a smarter investment decision???

advice and comments will be appreicated thanks :)

Hmm... that seems like a very personal type of question that can only be answered by knowing your particular goals in the game.

I mean... if all you care about is $$, go ahead and find an (L) weapon that you have max 10/10 on and sell any skills above those that keep you at 10/10.

But most people I think aspire to be in a top 50 soc and be able to use bigger weapons more efficiently, so selling the skills is not an option... Until you get to 10k levels in a skill and then selling skills > 10k seems to be pretty widely accepted.

all depends wheir you want to go, do you want to skill up slow and mabey save a few peds (or pay more)

or spend 15k and get somewheir faster and save money now,

i spent 15k on chips, mainly general and defence skills, but few other too, if i hadn't i would still be running round in goblin shooting exo stalkers

chips, mostly, are cheaper than to train each individual skill. particularly, if you have the ESI to trade or sell when you purchase. there are some exceptions. if you chip, you have to be careful about what you're doing or you can skew your skill set and that will end up costing more money (fist to skew it and then to fix it).

natural skill training is almost always the best choice.

as for selling, for normal people, you will not get back what you "paid", although this can be a considerable sum. now, if you are some people, like a certain naked avatar I find sliently hiding in a tree for hours and hours with a mod-fap in the middle of a robot spawn, those dodge chips represent solid profit.

there are other examples.

Last edited:
I sold skills once. I made 330ped pure profit, even though I had to buy the ESI's. I consider it to be the biggest mistake I have made in Entropia. I think buying skills is the cheapest way to acquire them, and selling skills always loses money.

I have some questions,

how many times can you implant a particular skill on to your avatar??? unlimited or is there a limit??

can you extract the skills THAT WAS ONCE implanted with another skill chip??? meaning can you implant the skill then extract the skills again and resell it??

IHMJack said:
I have some questions,

how many times can you implant a particular skill on to your avatar??? unlimited or is there a limit??

can you extract the skills THAT WAS ONCE implanted with another skill chip??? meaning can you implant the skill then extract the skills again and resell it??

yes, & yes, but you lose about 10% of the skill when you extract it.

Last edited:
for some reason the ESI prices are dropping slowly, not sure what the reason is

lets say if you have 10k level in a skill and you extract the skills to full a "full chip" how many level will you lose??? it wouldnt be 2000 would it???

IHMJack said:
lets say if you have 10k level in a skill and you extract the skills to full a "full chip" how many level will you lose??? it wouldnt be 2000 would it???

about 35-40 levels

IHMJack said:
it isn't. prices seem to be pretty stable in the 70-100 ped range.

IHMJack said:

well, guess who chipped out and what skills he had ;)

I wouldn't even dare to estimate how many hundreds of esi-s it took him... but it surely bumped the esi market up for 25% for a while :laugh:

J.

I was about to buy chips but i changed my mind...
i dont have the cash to both buy chips and have fun hunting.
its about having fun not to have high skills and dont be able to play.

i once chiped one full rifle chip from lvl 2,4k to 2,9k made almost no change in my CH or HA (it did some but very litle)

IMO if u dont have like 15K to spend just on chips and still have cash to hunt for then dont chip.

cheers

Reactions: jak
I concidered chipping out some not so long ago to buy better armor, I got the esi's the inserter but couldnt bring myself to do it.

To me my skills are a part of my avi that shows my progress for all my time spent. If you see me selling skills it means "im off"..

did this little skill calc chart thingie where you can calculate the value of your skills..if its accurate or not could be questioned but when adding up some of my skills it was like ~55k peds.. and considdering the time spent to get them its realy not worth it to me to sell any skills in near future.

so my answer is no

buying skills on the other hand cost less than actual skilling

Skills for the most part, retain or increase in value over time. Say you chip a damage skill, you are then getting the benefits of that chip, still hunting as normal, but only more efficiently, and at the very worst you will be out an ESI when you go to sell.

Look at it this way: Unlocking Wounding. You can decide to stay natural (respectable), and it take you 1 year to unlock it. Or, you can chip up some of your damage, maybe unlock it in 2 months, and then you have 10 months of wounding you would otherwise not be gaining experience in.

One more thing to consider: Skills like Courage, Athletics, and other skills that are next to impossible to skill anymore will generally only go up in time. As the demand increases as new players join, the skills will eventually become scarcer and scarcer as they lose 10% being transferred from player to player.

So the best way IMO is to chip with a % of some of your hunting profits, to make yourself better, and invest in yourself.

Stryker said:
Skills for the most part, retain or increase in value over time. Say you chip a damage skill, you are then getting the benefits of that chip, still hunting as normal, but only more efficiently, and at the very worst you will be out an ESI when you go to sell.

Look at it this way: Unlocking Wounding. You can decide to stay natural (respectable), and it take you 1 year to unlock it. Or, you can chip up some of your damage, maybe unlock it in 2 months, and then you have 10 months of wounding you would otherwise not be gaining experience in.

One more thing to consider: Skills like Courage, Athletics, and other skills that are next to impossible to skill anymore will generally only go up in time. As the demand increases as new players join, the skills will eventually become more and more scarce as they lose 10% being transferred from player to player.

So the best way IMO is to chip with a % of some of your hunting profits, to make yourself better, and invest in yourself.

I don't know if you really believe this or trying to get the price of skills up but it's total bull. Skills are free to get. The overall amount of skills ingame is more and more increasing. Thus the price will only go down.
In hunting some of the high unlocked skills are still pretty expensive because not everybody has them and the most will keep them. But as more and more people get there (the opalo ppl too) more and more coolness etc will be sold, so price will go down.

It's like a pyramide scheme, as long as more people are joining(buying) then quitting (aka selling), the price will go up. But it must go down eventually.
Which is the case for almost every item in EU, as more and more drops and nobody tt's markup items unless they are tt. Ok mod faps will retain your value for a long time, but i can guarantee you the price will go down!

chielsen said:
I don't know if you really believe this or trying to get the price of skills up but it's total bull. Skills are free to get. The overall amount of skills ingame is more and more increasing. Thus the price will only go down.
In hunting some of the high unlocked skills are still pretty expensive because not everybody has them and the most will keep them. But as more and more people get there (the opalo ppl too) more and more coolness etc will be sold, so price will go down.

It's like a pyramide scheme, as long as more people are joining(buying) then quitting (aka selling), the price will go up. But it must go down eventually.
Which is the case for almost every item in EU, as more and more drops and nobody tt's markup items unless they are tt. Ok mod faps will retain your value for a long time, but i can guarantee you the price will go down!

Have you ever considered the possibility that the number of people who join (demand) might be more than the number of people who quit (supply) ? That's for skills.
And about the modfap ? Well, unless a lot of people and i mean a lot, lose interest in the game, it won't go down. Why ? Because there will be more people with big money that will be ready to pay the immense amount of peds needed to get a modfap. And right now, for a modfap, i think there are more buyers than sellers. I heard for Rick Ter scale on this forum that there are 47 modfaps ingame, possibly not all active. Do you think that number will increase as fast as the number of accounts on the website page ? Think again.
Do not compare skills that can be acquired and are acquired everyday by ever avatar with an item probably not dropped more than once a year (and most probably less). It really has nothing in common.
I don't know if general skills are slower to get than before. I only know they are awfully slow. Is that likely to make them rise in price ? No idea. Jimmy may be wrong, but you're certainly not right :)

And markup items are looted very commonly, i agree, too much for the market to absorb agree again... Why don't the price of pixie go down then ? Because i and a lot others tt all the pixie we loot, instead of spending hours trying to sell them for 1 ped tha we will blast in 4 seconds of hunting ( 25 ammmo burn, 1 second reload... make the calc... and Stryker probably really blasts 1 ped every second when he hunts in a dense area... )

Last edited:
Stryker said:

One more thing to consider: Skills like Courage, Athletics, and other skills that are next to impossible to skill anymore will generally only go up in time. As the demand increases as new players join, the skills will eventually become scarcer and scarcer as they lose 10% being transferred from player to player.

some of what hunting proffits?:D * could not resist*

Tangine said:
Have you ever considered the possibility that the number of people who join (demand) might be more than the number of people who quit (supply) ? That's for skills.
And about the modfap ? Well, unless a lot of people and i mean a lot, lose interest in the game, it won't go down. Why ? Because there will be more people with big money that will be ready to pay the immense amount of peds needed to get a modfap. And right now, for a modfap, i think there are more buyers than sellers. I heard for Rick Ter scale on this forum that there are 47 modfaps ingame, possibly not all active. Do you think that number will increase as fast as the number of accounts on the website page ? Think again.
Do not compare skills that can be acquired and are acquired everyday by ever avatar with an item probably not dropped more than once a year (and most probably less). It really has nothing in common.
I don't know if general skills are slower to get than before. I only know they are awfully slow. Is that likely to make them rise in price ? No idea. Jimmy may be wrong, but you're certainly not right :)

And markup items are looted very commonly, i agree, too much for the market to absorb agree again... Why don't the price of pixie go down then ? Because i and a lot others tt all the pixie we loot, instead of spending hours trying to sell them for 1 ped tha we will blast in 4 seconds of hunting ( 25 ammmo burn, 1 second reload... make the calc... and Stryker probably really blasts 1 ped every second when he hunts in a dense area... )

Have you read my entire post? Read the section about pyramide scheme. Yes for now that is/was so, but i see certain skills dropping in price already (evade, firstaid, aim). They reason they rised at first because was of the skill nerf and the cnd boom. But i think this explains it a bit:
evade_226072.jpg

Price of pixie can't go down because it's already tt. The only reason why it is sold for more than tt is because of resellers / people wanting a bit money for their time, but was is 5 ped markup for a full armor..

It's only a matter of time for things to devaluate. For one because it's not limited (that is why ma is implenting the limited economy, that's how rl works and keeps the economy healthy; you can't buy a car that lasts forever(and repairable decay in eu really different than fixing your car in a garage).
And then you have made you nerve things or bring better items ingame. This also causes for items to drop in price (dante??).

Btw there is a thread on emt2600 now, which illustrates the eventual price drop. It has gone through the roof because very few were made and everybody wanted one. Now that the most people who want one have one and more are made prices goes down. And i can only see it dropping further, because the only way it can go up is a new flood of noobs who become midlevel and limited supply. Well i think we didn't have a 2nd CNS hausse few months after right?

chielsen said:

Where does this "must" come from ? Where is the rule ? How do you go from price rises to price must go down ? Looks like there is some magic involved there... and by "Eventually" do you mean when everyone quits playing and no one wants to join, and therefore supply of skill exceeds demand ? Or dou mean "when Mindark will go bankrupt" ? And i read your entire post, but maybe you didn't formulate your entire thought :)

I agree that price of certain items goes down because more people being equipped, there is a fall in demand while supply remains constant. But those guys who now all have emt2600, what are they going to look for ? They're going to look for a better gun. hence : my camo jungle i bought at the outrageous price of 5.5k is now worth 7k.
Price on dante falls ? True. It's a market bubble goiong off in my opinion, that's all, but look what they were selling for one year ago : they're never gonna get that low again, unless Mindark brings in a lot of new amps. And we do not have consistent data about that yet. If Mindark wants the price of ek2600 to go up again, they will remove ores from the market, and they can do that anytime. And of course they want prices to remain high, because high prices = big deposits to upgrade. Handling the price of an item when you got monopole over supply (and that's MA's position) is fairly easy. Plus some players have interest in keeping prices high. I saw NZR global about 50 times in a row on dante lately. How come they didn't all show up in auctions ? Think.

More : don't rely on pure auctions data : when i buy skills, i usually want them now, and i use buyout if it's reasonable. Same goes for my camo. Call me crazy, but i got it at 5.5k buyout when all auctions graph said it was worth 4k... Why did I do that ? Because it was the only one in auctions, and i knew someone else would go for it. Because i didn't plan reselling it anyway, so didn't care if it lost some value, etc. Now it's going at 7k, what can i say ?
A lot of people predict my angel armor is going to lose value... Good for them if they can get it cheaper than i did. Guess what, it's even good for me as i will be able to buy the parts i miss cheaper :) Price going down ? No big deal, it hurts Mindark more than it hurts me. That's why i know they won't let it happen, not massively. The whole economy is going up in my opinion. The fact that some items are going down doesn't mean we have a trend... But i can be wrong. If i am, well we have troubles ahead, Mindark will go down, and
the price of item A or B or skills, will not be my main concern, if you see what i mean.

Oh, and when you show the graph of some price going down, it's a good idea to mention what it is... Looks like it might be evade, but better say it : might as well be my haircut's value you're showing... Going down ? hummm... i need Petrol Hahn...

To finish with, i would say you went completely off topic anyway since we were talking about skills...

Last edited:
chielsen said:

skills like alertness are almost impossible to get imo, atm i'm an exceptional laser sniper, 5,4HA and i've got 900 alertness .. who cares if theres lots of people joining and skilling (so bringing more total skills ingame) if you cant even fill a chip to .5 within a year? :\ (and yes i have done melee, got 4400 lb when axe wasnt nerfed)

also you are not thinking about this: you only see the players joining and assume they will be skilling naturally, but there are also new players who buy skills so the effect of new people bringing more skills in the market is undone by new people buying skills

the only way i see skills going down in price if esi's are starting to drop like animal hide :)

chielsen said:
I don't know if you really believe this or trying to get the price of skills up but it's total bull. Skills are free to get.

I forgot to point that one. Skills are free to get ? Laughable. Or you maybe assume that everyone is profiting in hunting and that we all skill up for free ?
or maybe you talk about sweating skills ? Still worth a lot of time. As for evade skills, man, i've never seen a more expensive skil to get since i hit the 2800... Not getting much of it now... And ceertainly not for free.

This really is a very personal question based on one's perspecitves and goals as well as what one considers valuable. Personally, I have no interest in using chips to skill anything. I don't know the prices of skills and have no motivation to watch that market. It may be nicer to my ped card to buy skills, but it costs me the experiences I have on the way up. I'm in it for the journey, not the destination. The experiences I have now are my stories in my future. Because of that, I would find chipping in skills far more costly than acquiring them naturally. I want to feel every tick of green on that bar in anticipation of the next level. It runs accross to equipment too. The items I use that I looted are more precious to me than the most expensive item I can buy with my peds, even if others would consider that item nothing better than tt fodder.

Hugs,
Aliana

i dont think i would ever buy skills, its a waste of money if you can skill for free. why not just wait for your skills to get uber high, besides i think it would probably cost less. no offense to all skill buyers/sellers ^_^

AllesAlexExodus said:
i dont think i would ever buy skills, its a waste of money if you can skill for free. why not just wait for your skills to get uber high, besides i think it would probably cost less. no offense to all skill buyers/sellers ^_^

Have you skilled for free ?

Aliana said:
This really is a very personal question based on one's perspecitves and goals as well as what one considers valuable. Personally, I have no interest in using chips to skill anything. I don't know the prices of skills and have no motivation to watch that market. It may be nicer to my ped card to buy skills, but it costs me the experiences I have on the way up. I'm in it for the journey, not the destination. The experiences I have now are my stories in my future. Because of that, I would find chipping in skills far more costly than acquiring them naturally. I want to feel every tick of green on that bar in anticipation of the next level. It runs accross to equipment too. The items I use that I looted are more precious to me than the most expensive item I can buy with my peds, even if others would consider that item nothing better than tt fodder.

Hugs,
Aliana

Agree, it is personal and depends on what profession you're into. If you want to skill in crafting for example there is no "experience" or "journey", just a lot of --> :banghead: Chipping some crafting skills is something I can recommend to avoid mental illness.

chielsen said:

I once shared your view in skillchips. Before the 7.4 Nerf I was a naturally skilled avatar; at that time I could have gone all the way naturally, had plans in the near future to begin fap skilling, etc, but then MA changed it.

Most of my friends got pissed and quit, but I kept shooting. I changed my approach, began investing in myself, as a very large % of todays population do.

Why do I need to try to raise the skill values? EU is finally in a somewhat small recession as far as skill chips go, but im not in a panic. MA broadens its horizons with each passing advertising trip, things will rebound in due time.

I posted to try to open up a different mindset for people who had not thought that way before; no need to blowup and feel the urge to defend the current skill chip values, as you are quite obviously doing. Let time tell the tale :yup:

Back