Scammed or new ESI System

Phantom Chicken

Guardian
The other day I bought some Geology skills from an Avatar. He was advertising that he would sell 660 Geology for 50Ped. So the 1st thing I do is make a deal with him and go to auction and look for a ESI to buy. (In retrospect I should have made him provide the chip). At the auction I got very confused since some chips where at 12.50 or lower while others where higher in price well over 100Ped. I decided to buy the 12.50 because it was cheaper. The seller then loaded his skill onto the chip and gave it to me. When I investigated the Skill level on the chip in had only 200, when I was anticipating 600 with the normal 10% decay. The chip was worth 1.7 ped after the skill transfer. When I asked him about this he told me that this is how things go sometimes when selling skills.

Did I get scammed or is this because of the new ESI Rules?

By the way I paid 85 for the Chip and 50 for the Skills. When I went to the auction I saw that the deal I made was not that bad. But its definitely wasn't a great deal.

Last edited:
If you already have a high(er) level in that skill, adding a chip wil have lower result then when you have just level 1 of that skill.

I've not chipped since the VU, but I suspect you didn't have 0 skill in this category to start with ? If someone has 600 skills and chips out, and the chip is then put onto an avatar that already has say 1000 in that skill, then gaining avatar will not go to 1600, prob more like 1200. Figures may be out, but the principal applies.

Or you could have been scammed, who knows, as I say, I've not chipped this VU...

Edit: damn, you beat me witte :laugh:

Trabin.

did u have ANY geology skill before you bought the chip?

Say you had 3-400 in geology and bought his 660ish. That does not mean you get an extra 660 when you chip it in. The curve is not linear.

Hmm, this brings up an interesting point, and may be off-topic...with the new esi system, if you give someone a 100 ped esi, and they dont fill the chip, then that person filling the chip will also get the "residue" esi that is left over?

In other words, they could partial fill it, and then only return the portion you purchased and keep the left over esi?

Im still kind of confused on this? :scratch:

Hey thanks guys for the input!

You are correct in your assumptions I had 900 Geology when I bought the chip.I thought I would get chipped up to 1500. but instead I was only brought up to 1100. I didn't know what it would translate that way.

I don't see the sense in this. Skills are skills and should be transferable in the amounts loaded. Does this mean I have to skill twice as hard to achieve higher and higher levels?

Last edited:
Phantom Chicken said:
Does this mean I have to skill twice as hard to achieve higher and higher levels?

You have come to the correct conclusion... only its a lot more than twice ;)

Is there any website, faq or post which explains this stuff in detail ?
I must admit i'm kinda confused after the update (even more than i already was before) :eek:

You might have gotten scammed on the ESI however.. If he only put 600 levels on the chip he probably got another ESI back as 'change' which should have gone back to you.

Hmm I wonder.. the chip was a 12.50 ped chip. This might have been the older type chip which is used once only. The chips value was 1.7 ped after the exchange, so I wonder if it split.. or when skills are loaded on the chip it looses value.

I do agree there should be some centralized place to find this info rather than trail and error experimentation.

Last edited:
NetStalker said:
Hmm, this brings up an interesting point, and may be off-topic...with the new esi system, if you give someone a 100 ped esi, and they dont fill the chip, then that person filling the chip will also get the "residue" esi that is left over?

In other words, they could partial fill it, and then only return the portion you purchased and keep the left over esi?

Im still kind of confused on this? :scratch:

if the TT of the chips is less than 10 ped then they turn into peds.
Since you gave him a 12,5 ped chip and he took out 1,7 ped then yes. He got back a 10,8 ped ESI, and if he didnt give it back to you I'd say you got fooled a little :)

I agree with Akoz, it's very likely he got an ESI back along with the skill chip.

He didn't cheat you on the skills though. 660 lvls would indeed make a filled chip of 1.7 ped tt value (or about).

little offtopic:
Is there a new guide about new esi system. I am so confused now how does it work.
Help! anyone ...

Phantom Chicken said:

You are correct in your assumptions I had 900 Geology when I bought the chip.I thought I would get chipped up to 1500. but instead I was only brought up to 1100. I didn't know what it would translate that way.

I don't see the sense in this. Skills are skills and should be transferable in the amounts loaded. Does this mean I have to skill twice as hard to achieve higher and higher levels?

OMG Mate you should see how much work it is to get from 9k to 10k....

Last check 33 of my skills levels feels one old ESI chip, In skills I have close to 10k.

The higher in skill levels you go the harder and longer it takes to get there.... and if you chip insane amount of skills.

Phantom Chicken said:
The other day I bought some Geology skills from an Avatar. He was advertising that he would sell 660 Geology for 50Ped. So the 1st thing I do is make a deal with him and go to auction and look for a ESI to buy. (In retrospect I should have made him provide the chip). At the auction I got very confused since some chips where at 12.50 or lower while others where higher in price well over 100Ped. I decided to buy the 12.50 because it was cheaper. The seller then loaded his skill onto the chip and gave it to me. When I investigated the Skill level on the chip in had only 200, when I was anticipating 600 with the normal 10% decay. The chip was worth 1.7 ped after the skill transfer. When I asked him about this he told me that this is how things go sometimes when selling skills.

Did I get scammed or is this because of the new ESI Rules?

By the way I paid 85 for the Chip and 50 for the Skills. When I went to the auction I saw that the deal I made was not that bad. But its definitely wasn't a great deal.

I hate to tell you dude but you got jammed. Here is the reason why.

When he filled the chip it ate 1.7 tt which means there was still 10.08 ped left on the chip. He kept the "residue" chip and sold it I bet.

What happens when you suck out skills is you get back a skill chip and another esi with lower tt unless it goes below ten in which case you get back cash.

Phantom Chicken said:

Actually as Nicole said it takes A LOT longer to skill the higher you go. Take this example for instance:

A close personal friend of mine is a melee fanatic. He has been skilling with a valor for years. Not so long ago he hit 7k. I have about 2.7k LB and I still get about 30 lvls from a valor. He gets 1 thats right ONE lvl from 4-6 valors. So in essence at 2.7k I skill up to 18,000% or 180x faster than he does. this number slowly decreases with every lvl you gain. From what I am told at the 10k level (maybe nicole can verify this) getting a skill gain is like globaling.

Back