Questions about graphics upgrade

Sweety

Provider
Hi guys, I was just wondering what type of nVadia or ATI chips are good to upgrade to play PE? (preferably with low cost and stability) I don't need any fancy features like tv in/out nor dual monitor or such, I just want a nice graphics chip for my computer at a reasonable cost.

Since I have yet to determine if I have any AGP slots, I would like a list of chip AGP and PCI graphics chips (thanks in advance :D )

How much money you looking to spend or what's the price range ?It will help to know

I know all my friends love the ATI Radeon 9800 pro, and it has gone down in price alot.

Well, price range... iono, anything under 250 for a video card is okay I suppose, of course the cheaper the better :D

Radeon AX800XT 256MB works like a charm for anything really...
but its quite expensive. paid almost 1000$ for mine when I bought it.

The FX5500 is a great card, my brother uses that and runs PE nicely. There is still a bit of lag but he also runs the 128mb version of the card, I think the 256mb would probably run this game pretty damn well. (The're both around $100 or less)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-170-050&depa=0

That's a good deal on one. :)

For the next step up the 6600GT and 9800 Pro are great choices. Right now you'll find the 6600GT is better for the money(even ATI fiends more often than not will agree on that).
These video cards are around the $200 mark. :D

Here's a great review comparing the two!
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2277&p=3

If you want to be insane... (which I saw you don't but I like posting about a wide range of choices) then keep your eye on the new 512MB video card from ATI. ;) Nvidia announced a 512MB card right before ATI's also but I haven't seen any pictures yet.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20050224141431.html

Hmm, I think I pinpointed most of it

I think I will get a PCI 5200 geforce card and
184 pin pc2100 512mb ram

How much do you think that will cost?

Go for the midrange or higher cards, latest generation or up to two generations ago.

Why?
Midrange ones have decent performance (not crippled), are fairly cheap (for the masses) and being a recent generation they support all the current flashy-dashy effects.

On the Nvidia side this is the FX5600 or higher (it's ageing now but still a strong card - the mobile version is used in my PE playing laptop, runs smooth!).

Definitely try to avoid the 5200 or similar, you'll pay for it performance-wise :(

Also aim for 128 or 256MB cards, preferably 256 of course.

- Deathifier

PCI? :scared:
I would suggest just simply waiting till you can upgrade with a new motherboard. :(

Go for PCI express guys. These things are putting AGP away from the market for nearest 10 years.

As for GeForce FX - ya go for it. That's what I got. Runs great.

PCI-X doesn't provide much of an improvement at all yet and we're talking about a card for running PE. ;)

Buying a new motherboard to run a PCI-X card right now is sort of pointless. Do it if you have the money to spend but let the technology evolve a bit before you spend tons on a PCI-X or SLI Mobo.

ZarathustrA said:
Buying a new motherboard to run a PCI-X card right now is sort of pointless. Do it if you have the money to spend but let the technology evolve a bit before you spend tons on a PCI-X or SLI Mobo.

Agree on this one, older pc users remember when the vesa-local bus graphics came, hyped new graphics standard, the step in between ISA to PCI, but the vesa-local bus only lasted a year or two, then it was out of the marked and PCI was the standard.

Im waiting myself with any PCI-express, there might come something even better in a year or two.

I use a Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT 128mb and it runs PE like a dream. I have the occasional lag in heavily crowded areas, like Twin Peaks and Port Atlantis at times, but other than that its awesome. I bought mine for $100 cdn (used though). Brand new one costs like $150 I think.

argh, lol you guys, I don't have any AGP slots, and I don't need to get a new computer or change everything. All I need is a slight tweak to play PE lol, nothing fancy, just enough to darn this darn game ;)

It never warned me of over-dependency on this game when I first signed up!!

Sweety!!!! >_< you are posting on here to! :laugh: tell me when you order!

Sweety said:
argh, lol you guys, I don't have any AGP slots, and I don't need to get a new computer or change everything. All I need is a slight tweak to play PE lol, nothing fancy, just enough to darn this darn game ;)

It never warned me of over-dependency on this game when I first signed up!!

Radeon makes some pretty good PCI cards. Buddy of mine got an HP (those $500 specials) to play PE but after VU 6.1? I think his onboard card couldn't handle it. And he could NOT play CoH at all.

Got a good card on Ebay for 70 bucks and it works like a champ.

In fact I just found the one like he bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80184&item=5170894104&rd=1

Last edited:
This is what I got from HP after I asked them if I can use a kingston pc2100 184pin DDR ram chip

The Presario S4200NX is shipped with 512MB,2100 DDR RAM which can be
upgraded to a maximum of 512MB with the available two DIMM slots. The
maximum capacity of each slot is 512MB.

You can very well install the memory module and the PCI video card you
have mentioned. However, HP does not guarantee the functionality of the
third party memory cards with the Presario. Therefore, it is better to
install a Compaq recommended memory module.

So, you think that means it works.. or it doesn't? Both the ram chip and the geforce 5500, I'm so anxious to play.. I know loot is messed up lately and that market is acting weird, but I just want to see my ped card and count my silver coins. I can't stand PE-less, thats why I camp IRC all day and talk with everyone I find there

If you want to spend lot´s of money go for the GeForce 6800. It´s the best (i think) on the market today.

Sweety, it means exactly what they said.. it may or may not work. You never know how a motherboard and sticks of RAM are going to "get along". I'm sure it's even more picky when it comes to a prebuilt computer. The only way to find out if it will work is to check online(with google) to see if anyone else has tried the same sticks of RAM in your HP model - or buy some from a store, check it, and if it doesn't work (or does.. and you are going to order it somewhere else for cheaper) then take it back to the store and tell them something like "My computer only takes SD Ram and I didn't know this was DDR". ;)

The PCi card should work, once again.. same thing. Try one or google around to see if someone else has. I have more confidence that the Video card will work as opposed to the RAM. I've never heard of a video card conflicting with a motherboard as long as the're the correct slot. :)

Goodluck.. I'll google a bit and edit some stuff in if I can find any. :cool:

Edit: Geeze, couldn't find crap about that specific model#. :mad:
The video card should work.. the memory should too but if either is going to cause a problem I put my money on the RAM.
Like I said, buy and try from a local electronics store. ;)

Last edited:
*sigh*
They didn't say much then did they... It might work, or it might not work... :( I kind of expected better answers from the manufacturers of my computer, well then I should get the graphics card and see if my ram chip will work.. Righto, I'll see if they have the graphics card in stock in store or I have to order it and wait for it to ship to their local store. As for the ram, I think I need to call them.. tomorrow, midnight now *yawns*

Sweety said:
This is what I got from HP after I asked them if I can use a kingston pc2100 184pin DDR ram chip

The Presario S4200NX is shipped with 512MB,2100 DDR RAM which can be
upgraded to a maximum of 512MB with the available two DIMM slots. The
maximum capacity of each slot is 512MB.

You can very well install the memory module and the PCI video card you
have mentioned. However, HP does not guarantee the functionality of the
third party memory cards with the Presario. Therefore, it is better to
install a Compaq recommended memory module.

So, you think that means it works.. or it doesn't? Both the ram chip and the geforce 5500, I'm so anxious to play.. I know loot is messed up lately and that market is acting weird, but I just want to see my ped card and count my silver coins. I can't stand PE-less, thats why I camp IRC all day and talk with everyone I find there

Uhh..you can use a Kingston. My buddy upgraded his with the same.

And btw...I do some work for Disney and they have just upgraded most of their PCs Ram sticks that they use in some of the interactive areas (all of them HPs or Compaqs) and they use Kingstons too...lol.

Also you know what HP really stands for? "Hell to Pay...."

Last edited:
Okay.. I was not aware of this HP thing lol

SO... Kingston should work, that is reassuring.. very, should i go get it now?? :D

Sweety said:
Okay.. I was not aware of this HP thing lol

SO... Kingston should work, that is reassuring.. very, should i go get it now?? :D

Yes..as long as it matches the same specs as you're original Ram you'll be ok.

Double check the Latency (CL-3 or whatever your original is) and make sure that the New Ram matches that. It should be printed on the stick itself.

Alot of people will buy ram and not check that spec and then go "huh??? wtf???"

Crucial Technologies is actually a better source for RAM and I have used them alot.

Or better yet...http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...paq&cat=RAM&model=Presario+S4200NX,&submit=Go

This is the Ram Spec for your PC.... :)

Last edited:
Oh... how very depressing..

I just ordered a 150 Canadian kingston KTC chip made especially for Presario systems.. so I can't really un order it... :S

Sweety said:
Oh... how very depressing..

I just ordered a 150 Canadian kingston KTC chip made especially for Presario systems.. so I can't really un order it... :S

uhmmm...send it back maybe? I'm sorry I didn't get that link up sooner...:/

well...I just checked Crucials shipping and its only to US adresses so You did the right thing anyway.

Hope all works well for ya!

Last edited:
Back