Shopping Malls

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
09 Aug 2006

Hi,

A few extra points about the upcoming Shopping Malls auction.

1. When the auction is over, the new owner will receive all the deeds for the shops in the Mall.
2. The Maintenance Fee for shops in the Malls will be greater than for existing shops in order to support trade in the already existing shopping areas.

By the way, that was only a little preview of VU 8.8. We have lots more content on it's way.

Regards,
Development Team

More...

Someone should learn more about webbotology, as Bertha is missing some screws....

Yes screws are missing I think :loco: .....hey bertha go fetch that more content part. :whip:

ps wanna date my coke can? :)

Unfortunately the EU website doesn't currently have an RSS feed, and the structure of the webpages keeps changing.

Cougar and I are working on getting Bertha working properly again ASAP.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Unfortunately the EU website doesn't currently have an RSS feed, and the structure of the webpages keeps changing.

Cougar and I are working on getting Bertha working properly again ASAP.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ask Bertha to keep a log of what she does and to try to blindly access pages after the first missing one, starting from the last known one ;)

Ask Bertha to keep a log of what she does and to try to blindly access pages after the first missing one, starting from the last known one ;)

Bertha is a vbplugin (i think) that makes posts based on RSS feeds. And she does remember what she posts based on the guid of each feed item.

Now, MA don't provide those feeds, so there is a need for a script that parses the html pages from the EU website.

As html is not that easily parsed, and considering the way the EU pages are designed, a custom php script that seeks and retrieves the html "block" of each news item is needed.

Now Bertha is not to blame for the recent trouble, until recently (aka Dec 18) they worked very well (except for some things that i forgot to account for, like Swedish characters).

On Dec 18, MA messed up their web pages, the effect of that was only visible on the Dev blog as you could see that some items were missing the date, other missing line breaks, etc.

Yesterday, i submitted a support case calling their attention to that problem, it has already been updated and the problem forwarded "to the responsible team".

They have already "fixed" the Dev Blog.

But the pages still have one misplaced span tag that requires that the script specifically removes it.

HTML:
<tr> 
<td align="left" valign="top" class="text_black_11">
<b>Shopping Malls Update</b>
<br><span class="text_black_11">
<span class="text_grey">21 Dec 2006</span>

<br><br>
As bidding continues at Calypso's public auction...

That is a sample of the current layout of the EU Dev Blog page.

Each news item is inside a td tag (it was a span tag before) and the title/date/content are (or should be inside one span tag (title is only inside a b tag although on the other pages MA uses a style present on the style sheet to make it bold) :rolleyes: ).

Now <span class="text_black_11"> tag is in the wrong place as it should wrap content and not the date and content.

It is MA that is changing "the matrix", we are doing our best to cope with them.

And as MA don't have a consistent page layout triple work is required to keep up.

PS: Yesterday i also submitted another support case suggesting that they make those feeds available as it would enable all of us to use a news aggregator/live bookmarks to be on top of the latest EU news. (this one is not yet updated)

From their end it is child's play as they have (i suppose) a database with the news, and generating a feed is easy.

Back