Basic Mining Tutorial

Alice

Slayer
Society
Rising Potentials
Alice in Wonderland
This is just a small part of my main guide, you can find the main guide, which is far bigger at my signature
18.3 Miner

Mining divides into ore and enmatter mining. Mining isn’t cheap to skill, but if you got some knowledge in it, like where to find what, you can compensate the “luck”-factor a bit.
The basic stuff can be bought at the trade terminal. Mining skills will give you a higher detection radius and better depth, increasing your chance to find deposits.
Skills in mining, will allow you to find the more rare stuff. So, the better you are skilled, the better is your chance to find the really rare and expensive stones.

18.3.1 The mining process

In both cases you need a detectonator
the tt one for ore
mining_of.jpg

for enmatter
mining_ef.jpg

and an excavator
tt one for ore
mining_om.jpg

for enmatter
mining_em.jpg

And you need the “ammo”.
For ore mining you need bombs, 1 bomb per ped
mining_bomb.jpg

for enmatter you need probes, 2 probes per ped
mining_probe.jpg

Theoretically it means that you have a better chance to find something for the same costs if you mine enmatter, but enmatter findings are usually smaller than the ore findings.

The mining is in both cases similar. You go out in the wilderness (but people also found deposits in or near towns) take your detectonator in your hands and use it. A bomb/probe is planted on the grounds and detonates (you won’t be hurt). After a couple of seconds a window of your detectonator will pop up, with 3 possible results it can tell you:
- “Found x”
That’s nice so far, if you have found something the detectonator will show you with flashing arrows where you have to go.
mining_finder_arrow.jpg

Last edited:
As soon you are close enough you print the claim automatically, a loot window will pop up with the claim deed (if your rightclick at the deed, the map will open and mark the place of the claim). A claim rod appears, a deed for the claim is placed in your inventory and you can extract the ore/enmatter with your excavator by aiming at the claim rod and using the excavator.
To extract all the ore/enmatter use the excavator until the claim rod disappears.

Just the owner of the claim deed can extract the ore.
mining_claim_rod.jpg

- “Strange signal found”
That means a robot spacecraft has landed quite close to you. To the good things, it contains usually 50 ped, sometimes with a beacon, which is much more worth.
The bad thing is that it’s guarded by 2 drones usually. Be careful if you come close.
You have to press a button at the ship to examine it. This can be done by everybody, so, if you are killed, and someone else reaches the ship before you do again, he gets the price.
mining_robot_spacecraft.jpg

- “No resources found”
no success, well, try somewhere else again.

Mining tactics
Mining tactics depend more or less what mining theory you believe in
- Some say there are “veins” of ore, means some deposits near to each other.
Means rather cover the area were you already found a claim with more bombs (take care about the radius then)
- The others say it is irrelevant where you mine, you will get a certain amount back, so it’s self correcting. The money you lose you will get back more or less for 50-100%.
Its hard to find THE mining theory, cause all are more all less true for certain situations
- It is usually better not to mine in the areas near tps, because quite many people are mining there and don’t want to run into the wilderness. Although some high deposits have been found very close to Teleporters. Depending on what theory in mining you follow your chances are either equal, or better if you mine in the wilderness. So at a tp area mining has not many pros.
- True is that you can find the same minerals/enmatters in an area.
Means if you find permanently oil in one area this isn’t pure chance, this area has oil, and it will keep spawning again. Maybe (most likely) not at the exact spot you found it before, but in the area for sure. You can’t be sure when it spawned again. Sometimes it takes 1 day, sometimes 4, so you can never be sure. But if your skills are too low you maybe won’t find everything, so you can’t be that sure if this area doesn’t contain a different type of ore/enmatter.
- In the end your mining style is depending on your pocket, and how you think mining is working.
Either you mine absolutely random, more following theory 1.
Or you try to cover an area when you’ve found something
or you just ran in a line, dropping after you run twice of your mining radius
(53m for tt finders, means 106m running)

Depending on what theory you believe it either has absolutely no effect or is the Holy Grail.

- Carry at least one refiner for the ore or enmatter (depends on what you mine) with you. You will be over weighted if you have too much stones or enmatter with you.
You can refine your ore or enmatter to lighter, refined forms of your stones/enmatters.
This won’t decrease or increase the tt value; it will just reduce your weight. Another positive side effect: refined ore/enmatter has usually a higher value at the market (better %).
- You should check your skills and your stats with finders quite often.
Mining equipment offer learning bonus, so, maybe you could purchase a new finder with learning bonus and even higher search depth.

18.3.2 Mining Amplifiers
Mining amplifiers raise the size of the deposit you may find.
For example: you would find a deposit worth 4 ped without amp, but get 6 ped with (quite low, but imagine, 40 ped to 60 ped).
Using amplifiers is a quite high risk, if you find nothing, you spent a lot more, and even if you find more with it, it is still questionable of you find enough to cover the cost of the amplifier.
Best tip here would be, if you know a good area where you know you can find stuff with a nice mark-up (around 150% market value at least), it starts to get interesting.
For this more requested stuff you are happy about every stone you find more, and an amplifier could raise this drastically.
As long you are not skilled enough, to find the stuff with bigger mark-up (usually quite rare) or no good area, an amp is not recommended.

18.3.3 Mining Deed
The deed can be found in your inventory, under “docs”. When you rightclick at the deed
mining_resource_deed1.jpg

You can see

-the depth
-the size
in words, and in a roman number, this gives you a rough estimation of the tt value of your deposit
-the resource
-the time left
in this time, you have to extract the claim, after this the claim rod disappears, and the not extracted ore/enmatter is lost
the bigger the deposit, the more time you have
-the position
this is especially interesting, when you were killed, and you have to go back
and to make this even easier, a map with the marked position of your deposit will open when your rightclick at the deed
mining_mapmark.jpg

Last edited:
Thought i'd add a little history here. Especially for those who find mining hard.

Thenk your stars mining is the way it is today.

Many years before when you mined you did nto get an automatic claim rod.

That nifty locator witht eh arrows isn't just to point you the way.

It was literally used for finding the spot for the claim. You had to track it down then stake your claim.

And the devices never told you the trianing info and level of percent if your not of sufficient level.

Mining today is much easier than it was in teh past. So keep your chin up you have an advantages today you never had before.

Mining Spies

I'm a noob miner breaking even - nothing over 12PED yet.

I was out in the bush mining, when I noticed I had a shadow. Another player was waiting for me to drop bombs. I quickly TP'ed out of there.

Never mine unless your radar screen is clear.

Is this a common and/or accepted mining tactic?

I was out in the bush mining, when I noticed I had a shadow. Another player was waiting for me to drop bombs. I quickly TP'ed out of there.

Is this a common and/or accepted mining tactic?
that is weird ^.-

maybe he wanted to see what tactic you use and wanted some inspiration
well, could be worse i guess :)

but i would ask before i run after a miner and watch him all the time
weird

+rep for a helpful post.:)

Thought i'd add a little history here. Especially for those who find mining hard.

Thenk your stars mining is the way it is today.

Many years before when you mined you did nto get an automatic claim rod.

That nifty locator witht eh arrows isn't just to point you the way.

It was literally used for finding the spot for the claim. You had to track it down then stake your claim.

And the devices never told you the trianing info and level of percent if your not of sufficient level.

Mining today is much easier than it was in teh past. So keep your chin up you have an advantages today you never had before.

True that...god those days were fun...

weird

Is this a common and/or accepted mining tactic?[/QUOTnice to have follower and if he mined after u ..no harm done

btw ive always been wondering the depth thing... when u use tt finder u can find from 7m and or lower... but when u use better finders u never find that low???!? why? if there is find that u can find with tt finder that is at 7m why cant u find it with of212 at 7m? this has been wondering me always

does it go like this... better finder u have the more deeper u find (only) and leave the deposits that are lower to ppl with noobie equipment...
coz mostly found my deposits at 600m+ depth very rare if found under 600m

coz when i had my mining skills and 212 finder i dropped some bombs no resource found and 10sec later a dude goes the same spot i just bombed and gets a global... and i think that noob didnt have more skills than i..

maybe that would be easy to test.. first u drop with better finder then u drop with tt finder to the same spot.. never had peds to waste this kinda experiment but maybe someone can light me a little :F

that is weird ^.-

maybe he wanted to see what tactic you use and wanted some inspiration
well, could be worse i guess :)

but i would ask before i run after a miner and watch him all the time
weird

i used that when i started this game asked some miners if i could watch them when they mine and learn a little :/

usually the tactic is bomb...run.......bomb.. depo found another bomb near claim... extract... run...bomb ...etc

btw ive always been wondering the depth thing... when u use tt finder u can find from 7m and or lower... but when u use better finders u never find that low???!? why? if there is find that u can find with tt finder that is at 7m why cant u find it with of212 at 7m? this has been wondering me always

does it go like this... better finder u have the more deeper u find (only) and leave the deposits that are lower to ppl with noobie equipment...
coz mostly found my deposits at 600m+ depth very rare if found under 600m

coz when i had my mining skills and 212 finder i dropped some bombs no resource found and 10sec later a dude goes the same spot i just bombed and gets a global... and i think that noob didnt have more skills than i..

maybe that would be easy to test.. first u drop with better finder then u drop with tt finder to the same spot.. never had peds to waste this kinda experiment but maybe someone can light me a little :F
with the new "insta claim" it is kinda hard to prove actually, maybe this depo just spawned, call it bad timing

some VUs ago you had to go near the location of the claim to get the rod
and you could cancel it before you claimed
when you bombed again you found the depo again usually (afaik, i didn't mine much back in the days)

imo insta claim was just introduced to avoid this kind of research :D
especially with amps ;)
and not to help miners, although it is a nice side effect

with the new "insta claim" it is kinda hard to prove actually, maybe this depo just spawned, call it bad timing

some VUs ago you had to go near the location of the claim to get the rod
and you could cancel it before you claimed
when you bombed again you found the depo again usually (afaik, i didn't mine much back in the days)

imo insta claim was just introduced to avoid this kind of research :D
especially with amps ;)
and not to help miners, although it is a nice side effect

well old times i had this vision that would the depo grow if u first find it without amp and then bomb with amp.. but didnt work :() that woulda been nice :F tried that with my bro

i have a question....
I saw for the first time a drill. How do i aquire one and how do i use it?

I'd give a rep, if I hadn't done that in the latest guide already.

So eh... this means that you just drop bombs at random, basically?

So eh... this means that you just drop bombs at random, basically?
depends on your tactic

i use another one lately

basically that i try to have a certain distance between drops

you gotta test a bit on your own :)

A question right now is for me... Isnt there any UL amps like 103 or something? i waste my peds buying those darned amps costing ab 150 ped and have 50 bombs and *w00t* "The thing you want to use is broken"

And 50 ped bombs and a 150 ped amp and no finds?

That makes me so freaked up.. :mad:

what about better places for mining? Where? *want a hof* lol

there are unL amps

i think some are going for 50 000 ped atm ?
not sure about the price, but there should be at least 1 available :)

there are unL amps

i think some are going for 50 000 ped atm ?
not sure about the price, but there should be at least 1 available :)

Gosh, better start crafting amps then LOL

Is this a common and/or accepted mining tactic?[/QUOTnice to have follower and if he mined after u ..no harm done

Heh, I do that sometimes and when I do I usually get a claim, I have had someone do it to me and I thought it wasn't a big deal actually-

It's a Game and games are usually ment to have fun, but sometime greed get's the best of us.

Don't get bothered by someone by you, a happy face is aways a nice thing in the middle on Entropia Nowhere! :)

1 small note

My very first time I did this...I found a claim of nexus and the marker probe thing showed up in the water. And of course...I didn't know what I was looking for anyway...but I don't think you can get it if it lands in the water...

Unless someone has any ideas? But I took the coast of Treasure Island literally and was right next to the water when I did my search ooooooops.

My very first time I did this...I found a claim of nexus and the marker probe thing showed up in the water. And of course...I didn't know what I was looking for anyway...but I don't think you can get it if it lands in the water...

Unless someone has any ideas? But I took the coast of Treasure Island literally and was right next to the water when I did my search ooooooops.
you cannot place bombs under water (well, deeper water), but you can extract the claim regardless of its depth in water, at least i managed to get all my underwater claims

does anyone have any advise on how much PED you need to try out the mining. I just started hunting and it is fun and all, but I wanna try mining too. How much do I need to get me started to get the equipment and some bombs just to try it out?
Are we talking about 100PED or 1,000PED?

does anyone have any advise on how much PED you need to try out the mining. I just started hunting and it is fun and all, but I wanna try mining too. How much do I need to get me started to get the equipment and some bombs just to try it out?
Are we talking about 100PED or 1,000PED?
hm

a useful hunting run should be around 20-50-100 bombs or probes

if you just try with 10 you can be unlucky, 50 or even 100 would even it more out most likely, and you can also try different locations

the finder and excavator should be available for 5 ped or so.

Thanx alice, fast as always, so Ill go for a 105PED deposit for a mining try.
time to have some fun.
+rep as so many before me, but you deserve it

Thanx alice, fast as always, so Ill go for a 105PED deposit for a mining try.
time to have some fun.
+rep as so many before me, but you deserve it

if you are going now, i can show you how i mine, means some noob tactics :D

since i just logged in :)

anyway, gl

Thanx for the offer, but I am at work now and I will not log in for another 9 hours or so.

Back