Basic Crafting Tutorial

Alice

Slayer
Society
Rising Potentials
Alice in Wonderland
This is just a small part of my main guide, you can find the main guide, which is far bigger at my signature
18.4 Crafting

Crafting is a expensive and most skill dependent (the more crafting skills you have the better will be your output) profession.

One, if not the, main skills is engineering (found under “science”).

Crafting divides into many subcategories. You can manufacture armor, weapons, tools, furniture, even tailoring

For crafting you need a blueprint (bp for short), and the resources, described in it (usually refined ones)
E.g. this basic filters blueprint that belongs to metal equipment
You will always need the matching book for the bps, so you need an equipment book for equipment bps, weapon books for weapon bps...

[wrap=left]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/2/8/5/4/crafting_basic_filters_info.jpg[/wrap]Drag the blueprint in the book, by doubleclick opens the book and with a rightclick at the blueprint you can see under stats what resources you need to start manufacturing. Also it shows the quality rating of it. This Quality rating has influence of your chance of success too.
As you use a blueprint, its quality rating will gradually increase until it reaches 100.

18.4.1 The crafting process

Then you have to search a construction machine, any would work for everything, so it’s irrelevant if there stands armor or something else, you can even tailor clothes with a weapon construction machine.
Rightclick at it to use it, and the crafting window will open.

crafting_window.jpg

Your inventory will open too. Doubleclick at your blueprint book, find the blueprint you want to use, and click at it. It is moved in the blueprint window of the manufacturing machine. The height of the Success Rate bar will show your chance of success (“cos”), the higher the better, later more about the bar.
The names of the needed resources will be written there again. Drag them from your inventory to the ingredients window.
You have to choose if you want more quantity or quality. Quality raises the quality rating of the blueprint faster (higher cos after some time), but the cos is lower especially in the beginning, but if you are successful, your item will have a higher value.
Then you click manufacture over and over again until you have used up all your resources.

Possible results per click
- Success:
You get the item(s) you wanted, sometimes new blueprints, maybe even diamonds 

- No success, but something in return:
You don’t get the item you wanted, but either gain resources back, so you don’t loose all, or you get residue back.
If you get resources back you can use them for more crafting attempts.
Residue can be put into the resource window too, and is used there to increase the tt value of the items (just non stackable) about the tt value of the residue. This is usually done with limited items, but can also used for “regular” items like weapons.

- Failure:
Your resources are lost, and you got nothing in return.

“Tactics” for crafting
-Beware the male female button while crafting armor or tailoring.
It looks a bit strange, so make a test run so you know what will produce female and what male
-There are no real tactics. I recommend to start with something that won’t need many resources and those have to be as cheap as possible. So I recommend basic filters, the standard skilling blueprint (needs 1 lysterium ingot and 1 oil). Basic filters have no use actually, so you will most likely have to sell them to trade terminal. But the rest isn’t that much better. Most armors are hard to sell, the weapons too because the tt stuff is better usually. Sometimes buyers are found for the mining tools but the competition is huge there. And with those you would lose more resources per failure, that’s why I suggest skilling with the filters.
Another possible blueprint after some time would be Basic dampers, using 1 lysterium ingot and 2 oil, but the skill gain is a bit faster than with the filters.
-You should skill with that lower blueprint at least until you unlock a new skill, called
Blueprint comprehension. Will also raise your chance of success for all other blueprints (in tailoring most likely not).
-In tailoring you should start to skill with basic pattern pants or shirts, or if you can get your hands of a Reilly boots BP, use this one.
You can use several animal skins to change the look of your clothes, and maybe find some buyers with it.
The skins you can use depend on your skill level, but it is hard to predict when you can use what.

18.4.1.1 The Chance of success (cos)

The chance if you get the stuff you try to craft. It can be raised with crafting skills and the blueprint quality rating. Special thanks to ETOPIA, who allowed me to use this picture, showing the chances at the cos bar; there is a lot of work and cash involved to get this data
thread about this here https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21165

crafting_success_rate_efversion.jpg

This is just the chance that you get something, with higher skills you can move the quantity/quality bar to the right, means your items will have a higher value, so the payback becomes better with high skills, even if the chances for an item will stay the same.
To throw some numbers in, an ore finder 102 has a max tt of 30 ped, and even with 42% this can pay off.

18.4.1.2 The quality rating

The quality rating increase your cos and therefore rise your payback.
With the permission of Dark Darky Star (special thanks here again) here some numbers how the quality rating increases, and how the increase will slow down over time.
The blueprint is a basic damper, and a batch is a 5000 lysterium and 10000 oil, a basic damper needs 1 lysterium and 2 oil per attempt.
3 basic dampers blueprints are raised until 100 quality rating.
thread about it: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33555

Batch No. From To
1 Blueprint QR: 0 44.5
2 Blueprint QR: 44.5 58.6
3 Blueprint QR: 58.6 65.4
4 Blueprint QR: 65.4 73.6
5 Blueprint QR: 73.6 80
6 Blueprint QR: 80 83.9
7 Blueprint QR: 83.9 87.4
8 Blueprint QR: 87.4 90.1
9 Blueprint QR: 90.1 93
10 Blueprint QR: 93 96.6
11 Blueprint QR: 96.6 98.6
12 Blueprint QR: 98.6 100

1 Blueprint QR: 0 44.4
2 Blueprint QR: 44.4 56.7
3 Blueprint QR: 56.7 67
4 Blueprint QR: 67 73.1
5 Blueprint QR: 73.1 80
6 Blueprint QR: 80 83.9
7 Blueprint QR: 83.9 87.5
8 Blueprint QR: 87.5 90.9
9 Blueprint QR: 90.9 93.9
10 Blueprint QR: 93.9 97
11 Blueprint QR: 97 100

1 Blueprint QR: 0 44.7
2 Blueprint QR: 44.7 59.6
3 Blueprint QR: 59.6 67.8
4 Blueprint QR: 67.8 73.8
5 Blueprint QR: 73.8 79
6 Blueprint QR: 79 82.7
7 Blueprint QR: 82.7 87.2
8 Blueprint QR: 87.2 91.2
9 Blueprint QR: 91.2 93.3
10 Blueprint QR: 93.3 96.1
11 Blueprint QR: 96.1 98.6
12 Blueprint QR: 98.6 100

maybe another site for information
http://www.candyman.se/pe/bobthebuilder/

Last edited:
gr8

great tutorial, thx:D

So to start...
get the standard skilling blueprint... get the resources.... and pray?

How much starting capital do you recon is needed before you start breaking even on this skill?

So to start...
get the standard skilling blueprint... get the resources.... and pray?

How much starting capital do you recon is needed before you start breaking even on this skill?
well

crafting cos is 42% at max, and return later might be 80%, maybe higher, maybe lower

start capital, uhm

much ^^

to get to bpc you are about to lose 1000 ped i guess, that isnt the starting capital

break even might be realised by crafting stuff that actually sells
(basic filters don't sell itself, but the residue does)

well

crafting cos is 42% at max, and return later might be 80%, maybe higher, maybe lower

start capital, uhm

much ^^

to get to bpc you are about to lose 1000 ped i guess, that isnt the starting capital

break even might be realised by crafting stuff that actually sells
(basic filters don't sell itself, but the residue does)

GREAT thread!

I question tho: If u skill on the filters will it rais your skills equally for weapons too? Or if you want to craft weapons I should skill on Mann?

wow thanks for the guide, it's definitely helpful if you want to start manufacturing stuff. I'm thinking about starting after I get some more money

I question tho: If u skill on the filters will it rais your skills equally for weapons too? Or if you want to craft weapons I should skill on Mann?
depends

resources or ped/click in man are higher

most ppl try to get BPC first, and usually skill with say standard dampers, basic filters, basic sheet metal
since the ped/click is cheaper there
(well, another effect too, most likely you have to tt your man mphs, and that are gonna be alot, the filters stack up at least :D )

on the other hand
some ppl say skills don't really matter at all (afaik engineering is rising the tt you get out of items when you craft, so they count, but I'm not sure about that)
and just the qr does
so, starting with a qr100 bp in weapons might be interesting too

but in case of cheaper skilling it would be the filter/damper/sheet metal path imo
best with qr at least 64

gl :)

i can only get new BP`s while crafting when i have BPC?

1 question bugging me:

Is the skillgain the same for whatever you craft (skills/ckick=same) or is it more tied to components used (skills/ped/klick where peds are the value boosting skillgain)? I hope u get what i mean.

1 question bugging me:

Is the skillgain the same for whatever you craft (skills/ckick=same) or is it more tied to components used (skills/ped/klick where peds are the value boosting skillgain)? I hope u get what i mean.
i heard that it depends on bp level
anything else, no idea

I'm not a crafter
there might be the tt of the stuff invovled, but i doubt the market value is
but not sure about that :)

Reactions: Lo.
1 question bugging me:

It is based on Bp Level, the higher the bp level you craft, the faster the skill gain, but also the crafting loss gets bigger, so you have to weigh it up.

as your skills get higher you can craft the higher level components more efficeintly, this is also the case for skilling up the bp's as well.

Darky.

I just keep making basic filters because they only need a lysterium ingot and one oil. They're great for skilling.

I just keep making basic filters because they only need a lysterium ingot and one oil. They're great for skilling.

not when you start reaching the 1.5-2k MME mark. on a batch of 1k clicks, you might get 2 skills, but on Standard Dampers you may bet 7 skills.

It purely depends on how quiclky you want to skill and how much you can aford.

Darky.

Crafting is a very expensive (as long you don’t have good skills) and most skill dependent (the more crafting skills you have the better will be your output) profession.

One, if not the, main skills is engineering (found under “science”). Engineering increases the tt value of the items you craft, means, if you get 1 ped with low engineering, you get more with higher, it also increases your chance of success.

I think these two paragraphs are wrong, and they should not be part of a crafting guide because they are misleading.

Crafting is very expensive even with high skills, and your crafting skills have very little do do with the output. Skills are needed to craft high level bp's (to get the Cos on them to full).

And this old myth of Engineering raising the tt value... I read this too when I started playing in some crafting guide for VU 5.something. Even if it was true way back then I really doubt it works like this now. I have seen no evidence of this being true since I started crafting, and I have chipped quite some engi...

I think these two paragraphs are wrong, and they should not be part of a crafting guide because they are misleading.

Crafting is very expensive even with high skills, and your crafting skills have very little do do with the output. Skills are needed to craft high level bp's (to get the Cos on them to full).

And this old myth of Engineering raising the tt value... I read this too when I started playing in some crafting guide for VU 5.something. Even if it was true way back then I really doubt it works like this now. I have seen no evidence of this being true since I started crafting, and I have chipped quite some engi...
alright, changed :)

One question here , all be it a newb one - I have just over 200peds can I start crafting and get roughly about the hit miss sucess I get with hunting loot? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ok to start with I get how many BPCs for filters? whats the cost for say 20 runs of a filter?, how much resourses are needed and what should I pay Excuse me if Ive mis understood this but I have never crafted.

One question here , all be it a newb one - I have just over 200peds can I start crafting and get roughly about the hit miss sucess I get with hunting loot? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
uhm

hard to say

if you would get a say basic filters bp at qr 100 (no idea, around 30 ped?)
and sell the residue afterwards the loss shouldn't be that bad

if you get a BSM bp (basic sheet metal) the product can be sold with markup too

depends on what you want too

but i would say, if you start with say amplifiers now, you gonna lose most likely
weapons/tools/etc. the same

but thats my opinion, i don't craft enough to validate that

When I started my crafting on this char, I started with Nallo ceiling lamps (2 copper bar, 1 blausarium bar, 8 oil).

Now that was the most expensive way to skill from noobish to artisan, but I'm on my way to the top and had put my aim for carpeting only.

Cost me lots of donating money.

Now.. by the time I found out that there where cheaper ways I was too high to turn back :).

But got pretty much globals from 50 PED - 77 PED with the Nano Lamps, and perfect crafts have 8,5 PED tt value.

So guys, advice... dont start with carpeting. :wtg:

This looks like a stupid question...i guess i must've missed something...but where to find a book to put the bp in? :D

Buy it at the Technician.

if crafting filters or dampeners only... can anyone say about when is BPC unlocked?

I've yet to find a source that says about when someone can expect it to unlock BPC.

if crafting filters or dampeners only... can anyone say about when is BPC unlocked?

I've yet to find a source that says about when someone can expect it to unlock BPC.

BPC should unlock at level 10 Mechanical Engineer when crafting filters or dampers.

I quote Entropedia: "Level 10 in any engineering profession"

how many filters does one need to make in order to start seeing a little return-on-investment from crafting?

how many filters does one need to make in order to start seeing a little return-on-investment from crafting?

None...filters & dumpers are for skilling not for making profit...you will loose constantly making those...except if you are very lucky and get hofs.

filters you wont see profit i guess

in crafting the only way to profit is having products you can sell with (useful) markup

with "product" i also mean residue, which you can use either to push the tt for L tools/weapons, and therefore get a better payback (since same % on higher tt means more cash) or you sell it

but you will need a useful bp which enables you to produce stuff you can sell for sure
if the prices for your resources are too high again then, is another topic

right, got to respecify my question...

how long do I need to spend wasting my lysterium and oil on worthless junk before I have sufficient skills to produce something which is actually worthwhile?

How much money will it cost me before I end up making something usefull?

how long do I need to spend wasting my lysterium and oil on worthless junk before I have sufficient skills to produce something which is actually worthwhile?

Way too long and way too much. There are only a handful of crafters in the game that can produce good items, and they have spent absurd amounts of money to get where they are. And I'm not even sure they are making any money out of it.

i guess with the current skill system
lots of oil and lyst

the standard answer is to craft until you unlocked bpc, and then move to something "useful"

but if that is going to be profit, is another thing

Back