Crags Guide to Mining.

Crag

Alpha
Society
Skillin' Villin's
Crag Crag Darkling
Hello i'm here to teach you the baisics of mining. Mining is personally my favorite activity in Entropia Universe, mainly because I tend to die less, and I love exploring this planet, and i'm sure you will to when you see how beautyfull the landscapes are, and how cool some of the animals look.

Now firstly i will state that Mining is a matter of SPECULATION in this game, meaning that, no one knows the who what and why's of how to find the biggest deposits, or any deposits even. So use this guide as just that, a way to get started, and as you grow, find your own style that makes you PED's.

Now that all that disclamer crud is over with, lets get to learning about mining.

This guide is broken into 2 parts; Part:1(Tool) Part:2 Mining

Part:1 Tools of the trade.

As hinted to before there are two types of mining in the game, Enmatter and Ores. Enmatters are like liquides and powders (Such as Oil) while Ores tend to be stones and metals (Such as Cobalt and Iron) Each mining type has it's own tools to use. first we will look at Enmatter Tools. First thing you have to do is go to the Trade Terminal (herby referd to as TT) select "Tools" then "Mining" here you will see several tools, i will explain each to you now.

Enmatter Detector: The Enmatter detector is a blue handheld device that you use to detect enmmaters. It is a good device that has a decent range, and doesn't need to be upgraded for a good long while. It is used with Survey Probes.

Survey Probes: Resemble little blue drills, and are used with the ENMATTER DETECTOR to find Energymatter deep in the ground. The important thing to know about probes is that you get 2 probes for every 1 ped.

Genises Star Energy Extractor: This blue drilling device is used on a Claim Rod once you find a deposit, to "Extract" the resource from the ground.

Now that i've covered the Enmatt. tools now for the Ore tools

Omgeton Detectonator: This brown laptop looking devise with a green screen is used with Omegaton Seismic Bombs to find Ore deposits.

Omegaton Seismic Bombs: these are used with the Detectonator to find deposits of ores. The important thing to remember with these is that you only get 1 bomb for every 1 ped.

Genises Star Earth Extrator: This small brown drilling device is used to"extract" mineral deposits(ores) from the ground, be using it on a claim rod.

Now that you know what the tools are, and what there used for i would like to point out that a set of Enmatter equipment is more expensive then Ore equipment, but probes are half the price of bombs, making enmatter mining cheaper. For this reason I recomend starting out with Enmatter mining to get the feel of it, and to see if you truly enjoy this sort of thing, before mining for both. Some people will state that Ore deposits are larger (and therefore worth more) and have a larger markup. But it costs alot more to find deposits, and if your reading this guide, you don't have many PED to spare, and in the end it evens out because you have twice the chance of finding enmatter then you do Ores.

Part:2 Mining

Now here comes the fun part. Alot of this part is speculation, but i'll teach you what you need to know. First question on your mind is probably " Allright Crag i got these probes and detectors, and extractors, now where do i actually use them?" :scratch2:

Answere: ANYWHERE! That's right you can mine anywhere (except on cement and metal ground, c'mon now...) But a great place for a new person to start mining is Treasure Island. This is because, well, it got it's name for a reason, it's a good mining area, and the creatures there don't attack untill your almost right on top of them. So go to your Teleporter (herby called TP) and select "Other Continant" there you will see "Treasure Island" click it and teleport there. Now as I said before, much of mining is speculation, meaning "Where and When." But many people say that mining along the water edge is good, others say around Herds of Animals is good as well. I agree with both, esspecially here on Treasure Island. now when you decide you have found a good spot, drop a probe (or bomb) by equiping your Detectonator, and [Right Clicking] the earth will shake alittle, and you will see the screen of your detector pop up, if it finds a resource, you will hear a beeping, and an arror on the screen of your detector will point you the direction to your claim rod. Once there equip the Energy Extrator (or Earth extractor if your mining ores) and [Right Click] on the claim rod it will make a drilling sound, and a loot window will pop up showing your resources, don't bother closing the window, continue [Right Clicking] untill the claim rod dissapears. Now close the loot window, no sense closing it each and every time you excavate. Now i find it's best to drop another Probe (or bomb) where the claim rod is, because the detector only finds the closest deposit. Now if you dont find anyhting else, choose a direction, and run STRAIT for 15 seconds, and drop another probe (or bomb) You run strait so you keep a bearing, and it's easier to cover a whole area this way, you run 10 seconds because that should take you around 50 meters or so, which is the edge of your range.

Subsection: Fields

A field is an area of regular appearing resources i find that both Ores and Enmatter pop up in the same fields, but others say felds are primarily one kind. Regardless, fields stay around the same place. I like to write down the coordinates anytime I get 2 or more deposits near eachother and come back to that area a few days later to check for more resources. Fields tend to do better if left alone for awhile, generally 3 days is a good wait time.

Tips for Mining:

1: Mine near mobs, most miners avoid them so sometimes you can find decent deposits there (also some say that the "Loot Pool" is there)

2: The Farther Away From Civilization the better! Needless to say the more out of the way it is, the less people mine there.

3: You dont have to stop running to drop probes and bombs.

4: Drop Probes and bombs staggard. When doing so, only run for 10 seconds before dropping a bomb or probe.

5: Keep an eye on skillgains, some say it means theres a deposit near by.

6: Do not bother with Amps, at your skill level they will do alot more harm then good (and you cant even equip them till you have a several hundred in certain skills)

7:Mining near buildings and extreamily steep mountains can be dangerous, as the claims can appear where you can't reach them. Keep an eye on your surroundings.

8:You can only mine in water thats walking depth, but you can excavate a claim in any depth of water. (some of my best claims were found this way.)

Last edited:
EDIT - post deleted and replaced elsewhere

sorry, my bad

is this long enough yet?

Havent found specific information about which kind of ores/enmatters can be found on certain depth levels. Can you provide something like this? would be really helpful for me (I am noobminer):)

Havent found specific information about which kind of ores/enmatters can be found on certain depth levels. Can you provide something like this? would be really helpful for me (I am noobminer):)
i think that differs too much
Im no miner really, but afaik lyst has been found at hilarious high depts (800m)
and something more rare at 200
but i might be wrong here

Im not sure but isnt whole Treasure Island a Landarea where ppl have to pay taxes for mining?
in that case i dont think that it is very profitable at the beginning when skills are low.

Im not sure but isnt whole Treasure Island a Landarea where ppl have to pay taxes for mining?
in that case i dont think that it is very profitable at the beginning when skills are low.
just in LAs are taxes

the taxes are realy low and resources are plentyfull, so it is a good place to start, so you can get a grasp on what you're doing.

Decent guide, but you definitely need some screenshots. Text can only go so far, and screenshots not only give information not easily given by text, but also makes the article more colorful and interesting.

Additionally, you've got to BOLD headings. Right now it's just a blob of text.

Not bad tutorial, although a few things could be added (like average depth of minerals, especially those, that can be found by newbie miners) and few changed/deleted. For example I dont agree with 3 of the tips you wrote:

Tips for Mining:

1: Mine near mobs, most miners avoid them so sometimes you can find decent deposits there (also some say that the "Loot Pool" is there)

2: The Farther Away From Civilization the better! Needless to say the more out of the way it is, the less people mine there.

5: Keep an eye on skillgains, some say it means theres a deposit near by.

1. Most miners avoid mobs, but this really doesnt mean, that possibility of finding decent deposit (or any deposits at all) is bigger there. For example yesterday I found 2 ample deosits of iron 150m from mobs and small iron 50m from mobs - when I cleared area of feffs it occured that 10 bombs dropped there gave me nothing. So I really cant see connection between mobs on the ground and deposits under the ground.

2. I dont agree with that also... Many times I was finding nice deposits (or I was even globalling) right in front of tp or revival and when I went further I was finding only very small deposits or no deposits at all. "Hot" areas can be anywhere - the problem is that you never know which area is "hot" at this time ;) Beside that all (or almost all) miners have tp chips, so the distance to tp doesnt really matter - if the area is considered as rich in deposits, it will be regulary mined by many miners, no matter how far from closest tp it is.

5. Skill gains doesnt matter at all also :laugh: They are connected with using you mining equipment, not with finding deposits. For example few days ago I 25 bombs dopped in the area with 3 size III gave me 5 points in pospecting and 2 in geology while later that day with 20 bombs I got 12 claims (including 1 global and 1 hof) and my prospecting rised only by 1 point...

5. Skill gains doesnt matter at all also :laugh: They are connected with using you mining equipment, not with finding deposits...

I disagree, but there you go. It's all speculation, you see what you want to see. :)

just in LAs are taxes

Ahhhh T.I is a Land Area and does tax hunting and mining. Check the information box when you arrive;)

Originally Posted by Alice
just in LAs are taxes

Ahhhh T.I is a Land Area and does tax hunting and mining. Check the information box when you arrive;)
uh, yes?

TI is a LA and have tax, guess i said that :scratch2:

Originally Posted by Alice
just in LAs are taxes

uh, yes?

TI is a LA and have tax, guess i said that :scratch2:

My bad thought it implied that TI was not....tucking my tail between my legs and slinking off to a dark corner...:ahh:

I disagree, but there you go. It's all speculation, you see what you want to see. :)

Well, everybody is creating theories based on his/her own experience. In my case (and really many miners I spoke to) the theory saying that skill gains indicate, that resouces are near, clearly doesnt work at all;) So I decided not to waste ped searching area where I gained intelligence and I'd advice all novice mines also to do so :) Especially in the very beggining of mining you gain prosp\geology at almost every bomb and intelligence also pretty often - what does that indicate??? Nothing of course :laugh:

Good guide overal, but you need some screenies and there are a few opinions that are called fact by your guide.

Well bring on the flamers cause I believe that mining skills do mean something.

I have just unlocked mineral sense so that you know I am losing the stench of my noobiness .

I will say my worst mining was during the period from 2990 and 3k skills.
It took me 5k bombs to get over this skill wall.(according to MA there are no skill walls)

During that period I had no real skills showing and had nothing to guide me.

I believe that you can really start to read your skills by about 500. Just because one person says that skills dont mean anything doesnt mean that they dont...
Perhaps it just means that they didnt find what it means or were too stubborn to see what is under their nose...
or perhaps that I am so gifted I can see the pattern which they are oblivious to???
Or I am full of shit and see things that are not there...ROFL

You dont have to see it to believe it....You have to believe it to see it!!!

CND mining is very different from that on the planet so dont expect to go up there and make your fortune or you may find that you are the fool and the others get the gold ;)

I love to mine CND but remind myself all the time it is hot and cold......

GL to all and nice tips for the new miner ;)

Now back to the mission at hand....:zzz: *hof* :zzz: *tower* :zzz: *please dont wake me*

I'm sure skillgains matter... Although i have no idea how. :D
If an area has absolutely nothing, chances are i won't get any skills either.
Also, i never, ever find anything if i get a geology skillgain. I heard of an old theory that geology means you're on the border of an "area", but that's just speculation.

I'm sure skillgains matter... Although i have no idea how. :D
If an area has absolutely nothing, chances are i won't get any skills either.

1. If you have no idea how then you have no proof that they matter ;)

2. If the area is rich in resouces chances you wont get any skills are very simmilar... I'm aware that an experiment would be needed to prove this (dropping 200-300 bombs in totally empty area or rebombing 1 spot 200-300 times), but somehow I dont feel like wasting so many peds atm with my low budget ;)

Echo said, that my (any many other people) denial doesnt mean anything... Responding to that I'd say, that not the people who deny, but those who claim something positive are obligated to show a proof - I only say that none of theories concerning skillgains worked for me - if you are certain that they mean a lot, then you must show HOW they work (feelings are not a proof...).

Of course both theories are speculations, but the one saying that skillgains dont matter is cheaper, so I'll stick to it untill someone really proves, that I'm wrong :cool:

1. If you have no idea how then you have no proof that they matter ;)

2. If the area is rich in resouces chances you wont get any skills are very simmilar... I'm aware that an experiment would be needed to prove this (dropping 200-300 bombs in totally empty area or rebombing 1 spot 200-300 times), but somehow I dont feel like wasting so many peds atm with my low budget ;)

Echo said, that my (any many other people) denial doesnt mean anything... Responding to that I'd say, that not the people who deny, but those who claim something positive are obligated to show a proof - I only say that none of theories concerning skillgains worked for me - if you are certain that they mean a lot, then you must show HOW they work (feelings are not a proof...).

Of course both theories are speculations, but the one saying that skillgains dont matter is cheaper, so I'll stick to it untill someone really proves, that I'm wrong :cool:

i have to say this about point 1.

you say he has no proof so he cant say for sure, but there is no proof to support the opposing veiw.

logically speaking skill gains should increase the abilities they represent, otheriwse it would of been totally pointless for the game code writers to even write the code.

so with that logic alone i would assume (and remember assumption is the mother of all fec'ups) that the more points you have in a certian skill the better you will become at it.

but as everything we do involves more then one skill (im pretty sure i have seen geology/prospecting/intelegence all go up in my first couple of hours of mining)

it would be that you could have maxed out your Prospecting and Geology but your intellegence could still be really low and due to the low skill the 2 that are maxed out become restricted by the intellegence ( whats the saying a chain is only as strong as its weakest link)

:) as a noob to the game and someone that likes to point out the obvious logically but not always correct solutions i assume that all the things i have said (as mentioned in the very first post) are simple speculations and are in no way supported (except for me dropping about 80 bombs in about 3 hours ^^ told you i was a noob :) - but logic is my friend)

i have to say this about point 1.

you say he has no proof so he cant say for sure, but there is no proof to support the opposing veiw.

logically speaking skill gains should increase the abilities they represent, otheriwse it would of been totally pointless for the game code writers to even write the code.

so with that logic alone i would assume (and remember assumption is the mother of all fec'ups) that the more points you have in a certian skill the better you will become at it.

but as everything we do involves more then one skill (im pretty sure i have seen geology/prospecting/intelegence all go up in my first couple of hours of mining)

it would be that you could have maxed out your Prospecting and Geology but your intellegence could still be really low and due to the low skill the 2 that are maxed out become restricted by the intellegence ( whats the saying a chain is only as strong as its weakest link)

:) as a noob to the game and someone that likes to point out the obvious logically but not always correct solutions i assume that all the things i have said (as mentioned in the very first post) are simple speculations and are in no way supported (except for me dropping about 80 bombs in about 3 hours ^^ told you i was a noob :) - but logic is my friend)

Logic is my friend also, but she leaves my home whenever I log into Entropia Universe ;)

I agree, that skill lvl must be important and it is for sure, but I dont beleive that single skill gains say anything at all... You say that I have no proof for that? Speaking of logic - to proove that generall rule is false you need to point out just one exception and I did that, cause really many times I was mining areas that gave very nice skill gains but hardly any resouces at all...

Of course that doesnt prove that there is no pattern connected with skill gains while mining, but I'm sure that if there's sucha a pattern, it's much more complicated than all known to me theories suggest.

All I wanted to achieve in my previous posts was showing, that a begginer miner shouldn't trust any of theories he hears, cause oposite theories are just as good as those, that they want to beleive. If you want to become a good miner all you need is some ped for bombs/equipment and a lot of patience and luck ;) Logical predictions and reasonable plans how to profit on mining can only bring you very big disapointment ;)

Logic is my friend also, but she leaves my home whenever I log into Entropia Universe ;)

I agree, that skill lvl must be important and it is for sure, but I dont beleive that single skill gains say anything at all... You say that I have no proof for that? Speaking of logic - to proove that generall rule is false you need to point out just one exception and I did that, cause really many times I was mining areas that gave very nice skill gains but hardly any resouces at all...

Of course that doesnt prove that there is no pattern connected with skill gains while mining, but I'm sure that if there's sucha a pattern, it's much more complicated than all known to me theories suggest.

All I wanted to achieve in my previous posts was showing, that a begginer miner shouldn't trust any of theories he hears, cause oposite theories are just as good as those, that they want to beleive. If you want to become a good miner all you need is some ped for bombs/equipment and a lot of patience and luck ;) Logical predictions and reasonable plans how to profit on mining can only bring you very big disapointment ;)

:) just like real life mining.

i totally understand, after all if there were theories about where to mine that were conclusive im sure everyone would be a miner and MA would go out of business.

i guess i need to grab a load more bombs and hope like all the other miners out there :) look out for the global tonight saying i hit the jackpot and have been come a millionaire :)) i wish)

i like convos like this - having a discussion about online games these days always seems to turn into an arguement, EU seems to have a pretty mature community :D

I have heard so many techniques for mining, so many strategies and way to many theories.

Here's one technique, strategy, theory, call it whatever you like.

BE PERSISTANT!
Don't let a few bad runs get you down!

All the other babling about mining is fun, I like it, but pretty senceless. I have tried everything but in the end only persistancy gave me luck. Not location, tools or techniques.

I had a few mininghofs. This was since I started mining (finally) last month. I got Calypso Ground Assessment and Extraction, 2K Prospecting and 1K Surveying now. So I am off for a nice start on mining:

389 Ped Iron on CND Dome 17 (I believe) using OF-102 and no amp.
2125 Ped Belkar at Nate Valley using OF-211 with OA-101 light
1779 Ped Lyst at Lymnadian District (on tp alomost) using OF-105 with OA-104.
278 Ped Iron on CND (forgot where) using Z20 wit OA-104.
1689 Ped Copper at Twin Peaks (East tp in sight) using Z20 with OA-104.
559 Ped Copper at Amethera using Z20 with OA-104 (forgot where)
Some more litlle hofs and globals of course not worth mentioning.
Worth mentioning is that OA-103 and OA-102 both didn't give me any global or hof, then again I tried them briefly compared to OA-101 light, OA-101 and OA-104. And meanwhile I litterally have been anywhere finding things everywhere. Found some gold (18 Ped TT) a little south of Solfais Crater using Z20 and no amp.

You see mining anywhere, anyhow with anything makes you find all amounts of everything. I am not going to say better gear doesn't help. But the above clearly shows it isn't nescessarilly a guarantee for better succes.

Have fun mining! Go anywhere, do some sightseeing. Gather skills. Use whatever suits your needs and budget, don't go broke on what someone tells you is best, see for yourself. Experiment! I bet I will see you soon in the Hall Of Fame listings.:yay::yay::yay:

Yep

I have heard so many techniques for mining, so many strategies and way to many theories.

Here's one technique, strategy, theory, call it whatever you like.

BE PERSISTANT!
Don't let a few bad runs get you down!

All the other babling about mining is fun, I like it, but pretty senceless. I have tried everything but in the end only persistancy gave me luck. Not location, tools or techniques.

I had a few mininghofs. This was since I started mining (finally) last month. I got Calypso Ground Assessment and Extraction, 2K Prospecting and 1K Surveying now. So I am off for a nice start on mining:

389 Ped Iron on CND Dome 17 (I believe) using OF-102 and no amp.
2125 Ped Belkar at Nate Valley using OF-211 with OA-101 light
1779 Ped Lyst at Lymnadian District (on tp alomost) using OF-105 with OA-104.
278 Ped Iron on CND (forgot where) using Z20 wit OA-104.
1689 Ped Copper at Twin Peaks (East tp in sight) using Z20 with OA-104.
559 Ped Copper at Amethera using Z20 with OA-104 (forgot where)
Some more litlle hofs and globals of course not worth mentioning.
Worth mentioning is that OA-103 and OA-102 both didn't give me any global or hof, then again I tried them briefly compared to OA-101 light, OA-101 and OA-104. And meanwhile I litterally have been anywhere finding things everywhere. Found some gold (18 Ped TT) a little south of Solfais Crater using Z20 and no amp.

You see mining anywhere, anyhow with anything makes you find all amounts of everything. I am not going to say better gear doesn't help. But the above clearly shows it isn't nescessarilly a guarantee for better succes.

Have fun mining! Go anywhere, do some sightseeing. Gather skills. Use whatever suits your needs and budget, don't go broke on what someone tells you is best, see for yourself. Experiment! I bet I will see you soon in the Hall Of Fame listings.:yay::yay::yay:

Sounds good to me. I need to mine more. ;)

Back