UK ISPs

Guardian
Society
Praetorian Guard
Winston Smith
Can anyone in the UK recommend me an ISP.

I play some games and use BitTorrent occassionally when a new Linux release comes out.

I've been with PlusNet for a few years but recently their service has gone downhill so I moved to Tiscali. This may have been the biggest mistake ever. My connection as been switched for a week and I now discover that Terminal services connections don't work(I have a rented server that I now can't get to) and BitTorrent is totally throttled. I've sent them a coupke of e-mails but they tell me that there must be a fault with my router configuration.

Apart from the fact that, based on my experience so far, i would advise anyone to stay away from Tiscali, I desperately need a new provider. Can any Uk based people advise me on a good ISP. I can't get cable here so it's phone based services only.

Thanks

Winston

Only based on my experiences, but steer clear of BTBroadband.

A month offline with an hour every night spent on the phone running through the same diagnostics with a different call centre operator in India.

been with Sky for a few months. 16Mbps for 10pound a month, slower is free :D

I'd heard warnings about be wary of the cheaper ones, but had no problems at all with Sky so far.

phil

I use 10mb telewest broadband (now merged with NTHell), they do not offer router support, however as an an avid FPS gamer, i have found there service to be the best around.

I have had problems, when they decided to upgrade people, but this was due to the UBR's not having the hardware to accomadate the rush of new users, or little johnny deciding he wanted to DL the entire hollywood movie directory. I did however complain and justify my reasoning for their services, and in return i have paid for 9 months broadband in 2 years.

Overall, the issues are now rectified, and i seriousally recommend telewest.

Yeah i would recomend Telewest Broadband aswell, they've been pretty good to me and when i've had problems their support was quite helpfull. Although in the summer of last year some blokes managed to get down to their cables and cut them and shut off the TV, Internet and Phone about an hour before Englands penultimate game.

Hi Well i have heard that pipex are quite good, i have also heard that the traffic on sky bb is quite bad, i was told this by my cisco teacher. anyway GL

Back