Need some help with my external Hdd

44fox44

Guardian
Society
Lynn Lynn Lief - Gold Rush
Is there any way to password protect my external harddrive, atm its just plug and play via usb. I leave it at work all the time, not bothered that someone might nick it, I just dont like the fact that anyone can access my information if they have access to it.
Thanks

You should be able to using the software provided by e manufacturer but will need to reformat it.

If you tell me what brand it is I will try to find out for you

Its a Packard Bell Store&Save Model No. H2D2U2 6933380000 wich I bought from PC World, but there were no software in the box...its about a year old now

Try something like TrueCrypt.
Dosn't need reformatting, and is safe.

Tussi

Just found something similar called cryptainer le, but its not really what I'm after. I dont want the files to be individually encrypted, it would be great if it was like Windows, enter a password and you can acces the drive

Please read the FAQ for TrueCrypt:
I dont want the files to be individually encrypted, it would be great if it was like Windows, enter a password and you can acces the drive
It can either encrypt the whole drive, or (more interesting, because you can copy the complete container to other media in encrypted form) creates a container file which can be mounted as a drive (under windows it will receive a drive letter) where you can put into and access from all your files with normal windows explorer and all apps.

Try the Documentation.

Tussi

Well try the one Tussi recommended, i use it myself and it is very good (and free).
It has a full disk encryption,too, not only containers.
But you'll need to reformat if you want to encrypt the whole drive.

Thanks, will look into it
Might have to wait a while though, aint got 150gb spare on my pc to do backups

Cryptainer

Not sure about the other one but Cryptainer is very good. It allows you to make a storage space which when open is like another drive. You copy your things in there and when you unload it it incrypts but the drive disapears as if it does not exist. Just log in again and its appears like a drive with everything accesable. It decripts automatically.

I am sure the other program mentioned is similer. I cant find that model.

But definatley you should try cryptainer as you might like it. I have a copy if you want to try.

Not sure about the other one but Cryptainer is very good. It allows you to make a storage space which when open is like another drive. You copy your things in there and when you unload it it incrypts but the drive disapears as if it does not exist. Just log in again and its appears like a drive with everything accesable. It decripts automatically.

I am sure the other program mentioned is similer. I cant find that model.

But definatley you should try cryptainer as you might like it. I have a copy if you want to try.

I tried that 1 1st, the free version only allow for 25mb partitions, were truecrypt have no limit which I'm aware of

I tried that 1 1st, the free version only allow for 25mb partitions, were truecrypt have no limit which I'm aware of

That's one of the benefits of free open-source software :)

Tussi

Back