Proper Usage of the PCF Reputation System

Site Admin
Admin
It seems some EF members are confused about the purpose and proper usage of the forum reputation system.

Hopefully this guide will clear things up a bit.

Basic Overview

The forum reputation system is intended to allow members to provide feedback to one another relating to their threads, posts and contributions to forum discussions. If another member makes a particulary noteworthy contribution to a discussion, the reputation system provides a way to show appreciation. On the other hand, if a post is unfair, off-topic, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable, the reputation system gives the forum community a way to self-police itself.

The display of reputation levels in the member info and profile areas is intended as a rough guide of member's esteem within the forum community. This of course does not mean that the opinions or information provided by someone with a high reputation level is always accurate, nor does it mean that someone with low reputation should be ignored or belittled. When judging the value of a post or opinion, readers should put more weight on the content and logic of the content, rather than on who the author is.

When to give positive reputation

As mentioned above, members are encouraged to give one another feedback for thoughtful, constructive posts that help to inform the community and contribute to the thread topic. This helps create a more informative and positive atmosphere to the forum in general, and results in a more enjoyable and worthwhile experience when reading the forums.

When NOT to give positive reputation

The reputation system should not be abused. Friends should not dilute the purpose of the reputation system and regularly hand out +reps to their friends and society mates just because they like them. Positive reps should be given directly as feedback and thanks for meaningful contributions to the forum.

When to give negative reputation

If you find a post that is clearly off-topic, rude, inciteful, inflammatory, flaming or unfair, you should let the poster know this with a negative reputation comment, with reasons why you think the post in question was objectionable. In all cases, reputation comments are subject to the same forum rules as public posts.

When NOT to give negative reputation

You should not leave a negative reputation simply because you disagree with another member's opinion. If you have a strong disagreement, your views should be aired within the thread, so that others can read and comment in kind. You should not give a negative rep as revenge for a negative rep left by another member for you. You also should not make a campaign of leaving negative reps for members that you simply dislike, or have had differences with in the past.

Notes

All reputation comments are subject to the same rules as public posts on the forum. This means you should not flame, insult or threaten another member with your reputation comments. There seems to be a recent trend toward very hostile reputation comments. Such behavior will no longer be tolerated. Forum admins (MindBuster and myself) have the ability to review repuation comments left by members if a complaint is made. If any member feels they have been attacked in such a manner, please send a Private Message to MindBuster or 711 with the offending member's name, and we will investigate and take appropriate action.

Moderators and admins also make use of the reputation system, so members should not be surprised to see both positive or negative reputation comments from forum staff.

Last edited:
What i always found strange is that giving +rep when you agree with someone's opinion is widely appreciated, but when you -rep for not agreeing with someone's opinion, you are considered abusing the system :scratch2:

What i always found strange is that giving +rep when you agree with someone's opinion is widely appreciated, but when you -rep for not agreeing with someone's opinion, you are considered abusing the system :scratch2:

I dont pos rep someone just because I agree with someone, I pos rep if they make a valid point :)

Rephrase:

Whistling at a hot chick is generally considered complementary but booing all who are not would be in bad taste.

Nicely done 711 ... thank you for taking the time to post this very helpful clarification of the EF rep system.

Rephrase:

Whistling at a hot chick is generally considered complementary but booing all who are not would be in bad taste.

funny.. i always thought whistling at *any* chick was pretty much in bad taste.

GJ 711... may help clear some stuff up for a few peeps :cool:

:scratch2: all mods gonna follow this from now on then :laugh: ?

thanks for the list thou made for a nice read :) it is still just a guide thou correct ?

Last edited:
Thank you for clearing that up.

I tend to +rep people when they contribute to my own personal interest. Like if they make me laugh, help me out or if they brightens my day in any other way. Beeing entertained in a good way is something I appreciate, so +repping people for beeing funny, even though it maybee doesent contribute that much to a thread, would that be abusing the system?

Of course I +rep people who are helpfull to others aswell. I try to throw a +rep every now and then when I see someone helping out, or trying to.

Now, for the negreps, I don´t feel that beeing off-topic is a good reason for thoose. My experience of EntropiaForum is that even though there is some off-topic posts in threads, its original value is most often kept. Though this is odd, from all other forums I got experience from, one off-topic post makes the threads go wacko...

My personal idea of the -rep system is to use it against people who try to be rude, or in some other way lower the experience off the forum.

So, am I way off or can I continue doing it like this?

I don't think I have ever given out a NegRep. I tend to ignore people that post silly stuff and let the rest of the population take umbrage.

I am a positive kinda guy and enjoy giving positive rep :)

funny.. i always thought whistling at *any* chick was pretty much in bad taste.

GJ 711... may help clear some stuff up for a few peeps :cool:

And i will Display my appreciation of your comment!

+REP!

Suicide

Thanks for the info, having not used forum much before, I was wondering how it worked. sI am still not exactly sure what the +rep or where to put it, but will figure it out.

I like the rules but i got 2 Issues.

1. It's gonna be a pain to monitor that ppl follow the rules
2. You should reset everyones Rep to 0 and have a sort of community rep reset where it would reflect the new Rules(or clarification of them).

Be good to reset every year really and give a little award to top reped person of the year.

2. You should reset everyones Rep to 0 and have a sort of community rep reset where it would reflect the new Rules(or clarification of them).

Be good to reset every year really and give a little award to top reped person of the year.

I love this idea!!!

1. It's gonna be a pain to monitor that ppl follow the rules

711 said:
It seems some EF members are confused about the purpose and proper usage of the forum reputation system.

Hopefully this guide will clear things up a bit

not rules it is a guide for new people on EF, for those who have abused and for those who is usecure about when they should rep or not rep.

Untill it says it is a RULE I will keep repping like I always have and just keep the GUIDE in mind ;)

/Nakia

great stuff right there. A well needed guide to the rep system. :)

I think these new rules are really good and will help me a lot :D
But I also think we need some more clarifying about how the forum rules apply to the private ones.
Do they apply? Or not? I have been trying to find this out among the rules here on EF, but I couldnt find anything...
It is possible that I could have mislooked it though and I would appreciate if someone would give me a link :)

PS: sry, English is not my mother language and I posted in a hurry :D

But I also think we need some more clarifying about how the forum rules apply to the private ones.
Do they apply? Or not? I have been trying to find this out among the rules here on EF, but I couldnt find anything...
It is possible that I could have mislooked it though and I would appreciate if someone would give me a link :)

private what ? soc forums / Pm's ??

The forum rules apply to all areas of the forum, including private forums. That means, not only the public posting area where all is seen by the entire member base (including Diaries), but also areas that are not seen by all, like the rep system and the private soc forums, as well as PMs.

Therefore, if forum rules are violated in the non-public areas such as the rep system and private soc forums or PMs, then these violations should be reported so that they can be addressed.

Hope this clarifies it more for you! :)

Firstly 711 thank you for posting a sticky guide to this. So many use the system in the way it is intended, with a deal of common sense, however it is always nice to reassure people how it should be used.

I don't think I have ever given out a NegRep. I tend to ignore people that post silly stuff and let the rest of the population take umbrage.

I am a positive kinda guy and enjoy giving positive rep :)

I'm with you on this one - I have never -repped anyone, generally just ignored the post or commented on why I think their post may be out of line.

I do post +ve rep for a myriad of reasons though. I have even posted +rep for a post I have completely disagreed with because the person had taken the time to try and state their case.

I assume you are talking about the private society forums that are a subset of this main one. When 711 posted details of those forums he announced they would be subject to the same rules however it was up to the society leader to ensure the rules were followed.

Hope that helps.
Xany

Last edited:
The forum rules apply to all areas of the forum, including private forums. That means, not only the public posting area where all is seen by the entire member base (including Diaries), but also areas that are not seen by all, like the rep system and the private soc forums, as well as PMs.

Therefore, if forum rules are violated in the non-public areas such as the rep system and private soc forums or PMs, then these violations should be reported so that they can be addressed.

Hope this clarifies it more for you! :)

Yep, it really does :) Thank you MS9!
And, yes, Nakia, I was talking about private forums. Sorry for not being more specific.

Is the rep and thread rating system configured in such a way that the impact of each rep/rating is affecting by the frequency that a particular rater gives rep and ratings?

As a side, I think it should cost 10 EFD to give a rep rating. People might be a little more careful about rep if it cost a little.

+rep 711 for a great thread about how to give +rep correctly :D

I got a blue rep with a bad comment. so im guessing it soposed to be a bad one.
but why is it blue?

I got a blue rep with a bad comment. so im guessing it soposed to be a bad one.
but why is it blue?

The person who put it on you had too little reputation himself to make an impact on yours. So it's just marked with a grey bar.

the gental hand of the EF carefully and softly telling you that the mighty ban stick can get you even for rep ... so stop abusing it.

**goes back to sitting quietly in the corner to read the ann frank diary whilst conpairing it to EF**

The person who put it on you had too little reputation himself to make an impact on yours. So it's just marked with a grey bar.

Thanks for the info :). but can that vote be valid later if that person gets better rep?

Back