Proper Usage of the PCF Reputation System

What does a grey rep represent ? Obv Green is good, and red is bad, but the gif name for the grey'd out rep I have received is call rep balance ?

What's all that about ?

Grey is something that someone with -rep, red or grey dot gives.

Their + or - reps dosnt count, therefor is shown as grey.

Members (usually new ones) with a post count below a certain threshold give a neutral grey rep.

What i always found strange is that giving +rep when you agree with someone's opinion is widely appreciated, but when you -rep for not agreeing with someone's opinion, you are considered abusing the system posted by einstein (apparently)!

If your einstein they why did you not read this thread properly?
It says in english, that members should not give negative rep for disagreeing with another members opinion!!! But that they sould post within th thread and explain there, using logic!

Maybe einsteins post deserves a negative rep?

On a side note when i first joined EF I gave 4 ppl neg rep just to try see how it works, so at last i found a post that explains it yay:p

uh oh...someone dug this thread out means I gotta be more careful with my rep! Spamming is bad! :p

I dont pos rep someone just because I agree with someone, I pos rep if they make a valid point

Bumping this because there seems to be a lot of rep abuse going on at the moment :rolleyes:

Really? Where?

Mostly lots of 'rep me and I'll rep you back' stuff. I've had it a lot in my own +rep received comments recently, and there are some people advertising it in their sigs (not like yours which I think is fine, I'm talking about far more blatant rep-whoring :))

Mostly lots of 'rep me and I'll rep you back' stuff. I've had it a lot in my own +rep received comments recently, and there are some people advertising it in their sigs (not like yours which I think is fine, I'm talking about far more blatant rep-whoring :))

Yes, I've noticed this as well... I like to get +reps and -reps when there's a good reason and a constructive comment, but the spam reps are a bit of a let down :(

Yes, I've noticed this as well... I like to get +reps and -reps when there's a good reason and a constructive comment, but the spam reps are a bit of a let down :(

Hmm...................... Interesting.

I don't get spam reps at all. Actually I post a lot of useful stuff and very rarely get +repped for it. That's why I put that line in my sig a few years ago just to give people a hint. That didn't change anything though...

Maybe I should remove the spam/ad-blocker? :D:D:D

Really? Where?

The other classic one I see quite often is neg repping just because they disagree with the opinion expressed in the post.

Example:
This post
got me a neg rep with this comment:
"see you at the next wastelander event :)"

Also:
Thanks for bumping this Oleg. I have also been using the rep system incorrectly. I sometimes just click on the rep button if I want to send someone a message. Just because it's more convenient than sending a pm. I now realise that's not the right way to use the rep system and will refrain from doing so in future.

I need some spam +rep or just to say hi :wtg:

:laugh:

The other classic one I see quite often is neg repping just because they disagree with the opinion expressed in the post.

Example:
This post
got me a neg rep with this comment:
"see you at the next wastelander event :)"

[edited]

Indeed, I have also gotten several -reps for similar things. Let me go dig up the last neg rep comments:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/skills/167095-ubers-attributes-3.html#post2114896 - "clearly havent scanned him then!"

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/bug-reports/166879-shops-bugged.html#post2110073 - "Like it ?"

And another one I don't see in my rep history said something like "Happy reselling" on my ESI buying thread.

[...]

Also:
Thanks for bumping this Oleg. I have also been using the rep system incorrectly. I sometimes just click on the rep button if I want to send someone a message. Just because it's more convenient than sending a pm. I now realise that's not the right way to use the rep system and will refrain from doing so in future.

...me too George...I've been a sinner aswell...I tend to +rep ppl if they're good looking...for instance, if they look like this;

n31364704796_8030.jpg

..I hit the +rep button in a nano second mate...guess I've to work on that...gotta be faster!

You should not leave a negative reputation simply because you disagree with another member's opinion. If you have a strong disagreement, your views should be aired within the thread

:laugh:
I don't think I've ever had a -rep for any reason other than disagreement or people complaining that I'm complaining.
I don't think I've ever given a -rep, wonder why?
;)

How do you even know when you receive rep? I just found out a couple days ago how to see a history of your rep, but is there supposed to be some message system that lets you know when you log on?
Was kind of fun going back and looking at the different reps given me and the threads I had posted in to receive them.

Hope you don't mind me asking here.. maybe I should have started a new thread.

narfi

hehe you're all insane

How do you even know when you receive rep? I just found out a couple days ago how to see a history of your rep, but is there supposed to be some message system that lets you know when you log on?
Was kind of fun going back and looking at the different reps given me and the threads I had posted in to receive them.

Hope you don't mind me asking here.. maybe I should have started a new thread.

narfi

I'm not sure if thats a question. If it is the answer is simple. At the top of the forum click on the "UserCP" tab and then scroll down to look at the reps you have received. You can click on the thread name to go to the post which received the +/- rep.

My question was if there is a way to know someone +/- repped you without actively checking. For example I dont need to go to a certain page to know if I have a PM it shows at the top of all pages. I had collected 40reps without even knowing I had collected one, which is why I asked.

I am assuming from your answer that the only way to know is to check the userCP.

thanks,

narfi

...me too George...I've been a sinner aswell...I tend to +rep ppl if they're good looking...for instance, if they look like this;

n31364704796_8030.jpg

..I hit the +rep button in a nano second mate...guess I've to work on that...gotta be faster!

Thanks for posting a pic of me without asking :rolleyes:

The rep-button is somewhere around here
v----------------------------------------

omg spam reps, some people have no shame, no shame at all, damn you spam reppers :eek:

Nice Post!

I really love to read articles which are very informative and the topics are based or concerned with the current issues in our society. I admire these writers in sharing their views and or opinions that can enlighten the mind of the readers. Great job!

Ah OK, so a grey dot is like a Tinkers damn/blessing, a noobs opinion.

Thank you

It seems some EF members are confused about the purpose and proper usage of the forum reputation system.

Hopefully this guide will clear things up a bit.

Basic Overview

The forum reputation system is intended to allow members to provide feedback to one another relating to their threads, posts and contributions to forum discussions. If another member makes a particulary noteworthy contribution to a discussion, the reputation system provides a way to show appreciation. On the other hand, if a post is unfair, off-topic, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable, the reputation system gives the forum community a way to self-police itself.

The display of reputation levels in the member info and profile areas is intended as a rough guide of member's esteem within the forum community. This of course does not mean that the opinions or information provided by someone with a high reputation level is always accurate, nor does it mean that someone with low reputation should be ignored or belittled. When judging the value of a post or opinion, readers should put more weight on the content and logic of the content, rather than on who the author is.

When to give positive reputation

As mentioned above, members are encouraged to give one another feedback for thoughtful, constructive posts that help to inform the community and contribute to the thread topic. This helps create a more informative and positive atmosphere to the forum in general, and results in a more enjoyable and worthwhile experience when reading the forums.

When NOT to give positive reputation

The reputation system should not be abused. Friends should not dilute the purpose of the reputation system and regularly hand out +reps to their friends and society mates just because they like them. Positive reps should be given directly as feedback and thanks for meaningful contributions to the forum.

When to give negative reputation

If you find a post that is clearly off-topic, rude, inciteful, inflammatory, flaming or unfair, you should let the poster know this with a negative reputation comment, with reasons why you think the post in question was objectionable. In all cases, reputation comments are subject to the same forum rules as public posts.

When NOT to give negative reputation

You should not leave a negative reputation simply because you disagree with another member's opinion. If you have a strong disagreement, your views should be aired within the thread, so that others can read and comment in kind. You should not give a negative rep as revenge for a negative rep left by another member for you. You also should not make a campaign of leaving negative reps for members that you simply dislike, or have had differences with in the past.

Notes

All reputation comments are subject to the same rules as public posts on the forum. This means you should not flame, insult or threaten another member with your reputation comments. There seems to be a recent trend toward very hostile reputation comments. Such behavior will no longer be tolerated. Forum admins (MindBuster and myself) have the ability to review repuation comments left by members if a complaint is made. If any member feels they have been attacked in such a manner, please send a Private Message to MindBuster or 711 with the offending member's name, and we will investigate and take appropriate action.

Moderators and admins also make use of the reputation system, so members should not be surprised to see both positive or negative reputation comments from forum staff.

Very clear and concise, just wish all of the neg. reps. I've been given saying "I disagree with you" did not happen, or the nice messages that reflect on my sex life, the manner in which I was born, or the wish for my demise from the face of this earth.

With that being said, I'll do my best to follow the rules as they are stated and hope that others do the same.

Seoul

The soul of Asia

Back