Everything I own has disappeared!!!

Have you considered the possibility that it is someone you know. I know you probably don't want to think about it, but if you logged in at a friends house maybe he saw the password. Maybe you logged in infront of someone else at some time or another. Maybe you have it written down and someone found it. Or maybe you use the same password to sign onto other websites, for example someone knows the password to your email and you use the same password for eu. A lot of people use the same or similar passwords for most websites, do you do this? Most people also use a word or name that someone who knows them could easily guess.

Are you 100% sure that you have never written down the password, typed in the password while someone was watching, or used the password for something else, or given the password to someone in the past.

If the hacker didn't even bother to take everything, maybe it was more of a personal attack, someone trying to hurt you, rather than a theft.

The only thing that doesn't add up is that someone else got hacked around the same time. Possible coincidence though.

there was a thread about this not long ago
there were no reports of someone with goldcard hacked :)

Exactly, so him saying even though you have a GC you will get no help... It hasn´t happened yet so noone knows. :)

if you had a GC and got hacked then MA WILL HELP YOU as you have done what they recommend to secure yourself!

I'm coming straight from page 9 here but i still doubt they would have stepped in.
I will not reveal names, they have wished to keep this in the dark and i will honour that, however, there is obviously a need to answer certain questions that will be lurking in some people.

Yes, persons with gold cards have been hacked.
No, MA refused to take any action.
MA told them that they could inform the law inforcment agency in their area but would not do anything otherwise.
Police forces don't exactly take "help my computer game got hacked" as a "serious" matter and generally tend to go along the lines of "sorry pal but we have some real crimes to get on with".

If you look at that you'll notice that it's the same situation as when a Goldcard is not present.
Of course the Gold Card makes it harder to be hacked, a shitload harder. And it is most definetly worth it.
However, no system is full proof and MA's logic when it comes down to a GC holder being hacked is simply this; {and this isnt too far from their words in one instance}
"if you had a gold card then it was your own fault as you gave someone the chance to have physical access to your account.

This all sucks, i know, but you can't be surprised really. Most companies will try this sort of thing, the only difference is MA don't sell insurance, so they can get away with it without fear.

Anyway, like i said before, i hope this is read by MA personnel and a tear wells up in their eye and their heart grows 3 times the size as normal and they trace, re-inburce and compensate you and punish the purpetrators. {helping out all hack victims wouldnt be hard btw, i mean, there arent as many as you'de think. There isn't even one a week, whereas MA could handle one or 2 a day. {just don't like "wasting" resources i guess...:rolleyes: }

I'm coming straight from page 9 here but i still doubt they would have stepped in.
I will not reveal names, they have wished to keep this in the dark and i will honour that, however, there is obviously a need to answer certain questions that will be lurking in some people.

Yes, persons with gold cards have been hacked.
No, MA refused to take any action.
MA told them that they could inform the law inforcment agency in their area but would not do anything otherwise.
Police forces don't exactly take "help my computer game got hacked" as a "serious" matter and generally tend to go along the lines of "sorry pal but we have some real crimes to get on with".

If you look at that you'll notice that it's the same situation as when a Goldcard is not present.
Of course the Gold Card makes it harder to be hacked, a shitload harder. And it is most definetly worth it.
However, no system is full proof and MA's logic when it comes down to a GC holder being hacked is simply this; {and this isnt too far from their words in one instance}
"if you had a gold card then it was your own fault as you gave someone the chance to have physical access to your account.

This all sucks, i know, but you can't be surprised really. Most companies will try this sort of thing, the only difference is MA don't sell insurance, so they can get away with it without fear.

Anyway, like i said before, i hope this is read by MA personnel and a tear wells up in their eye and their heart grows 3 times the size as normal and they trace, re-inburce and compensate you and punish the purpetrators. {helping out all hack victims wouldnt be hard btw, i mean, there arent as many as you'de think. There isn't even one a week, whereas MA could handle one or 2 a day. {just don't like "wasting" resources i guess...:rolleyes: }

no proof of a person with a goldcard being hacked = i dont believe you, especially because of the part with "they wish to stay in the dark" as you put it

Please enlighten me what you would do, but if I had a goldcard and i would get hacked, and MA won't help me and the police wouldn't help me, I would come to EF, make a thread about this, and let people know THAT THE GOLDCARD GIVES YOU A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY.
Is it out of shame? I have a goldcard, I have antivirus software, I have a firewall, what more can I do? It's not my fault so i would not feel ashamed to let people know.

Have you considered the possibility that it is someone you know. I know you probably don't want to think about it, but if you logged in at a friends house maybe he saw the password. Maybe you logged in infront of someone else at some time or another. Maybe you have it written down and someone found it. Or maybe you use the same password to sign onto other websites, for example someone knows the password to your email and you use the same password for eu. A lot of people use the same or similar passwords for most websites, do you do this? Most people also use a word or name that someone who knows them could easily guess.

Are you 100% sure that you have never written down the password, typed in the password while someone was watching, or used the password for something else, or given the password to someone in the past.

If the hacker didn't even bother to take everything, maybe it was more of a personal attack, someone trying to hurt you, rather than a theft.

The only thing that doesn't add up is that someone else got hacked around the same time. Possible coincidence though.

No one i know plays Eu :) My friend plays X box and knows nothin of EU

Mojo,

As I said to you last night in-game, the only thing left for you to do is report this to the authorities. I would recommend both the Canadian and Swedish authorities. I know for a fact that Sweden has a cyber-crimes division, I can't speak to Canada.

Even though you feel like it may be futile to do so, I still think it's important to take this action. The only way the cyber-crimes will ever be taken seriously by law authorities is if victims continue to advocate for them to do so. If everyone just assumes that the cops won't do anything and will laugh at them, then that's how it will be forever.

Yes, it's hard to prove .. yes, the odds of them being successful in your investigation are somewhat slim ... but I think you owe it to yourself and to future victims to do what you can to get a response from the authorities. They need to learn that just because the property is virtual doesn't mean the crime isn't real. They also need to learn how to respond to such cases and investigate them.

So again, I ask you to reconsider your decision to not report this to law enforcement. Consider yourself a sort of pioneer and advocate for the need for cause.

Mojo,

As I said to you last night in-game, the only thing left for you to do is report this to the authorities. I would recommend both the Canadian and Swedish authorities. I know for a fact that Sweden has a cyber-crimes division, I can't speak to Canada.

Even though you feel like it may be futile to do so, I still think it's important to take this action. The only way the cyber-crimes will ever be taken seriously by law authorities is if victims continue to advocate for them to do so. If everyone just assumes that the cops won't do anything and will laugh at them, then that's how it will be forever.

Yes, it's hard to prove .. yes, the odds of them being successful in your investigation are somewhat slim ... but I think you owe it to yourself and to future victims to do what you can to get a response from the authorities. They need to learn that just because the property is virtual doesn't mean the crime isn't real. They also need to learn how to respond to such cases and investigate them.

So again, I ask you to reconsider your decision to not report this to law enforcement. Consider yourself a sort of pioneer and advocate for the need for cause.

im gonna visit the station some time this week to ask for a realistic opinion regarding the chances of this case being taken seriously. 300US may be much but it is still something...

if you had a GC and got hacked then MA WILL HELP YOU as you have done what they recommend to secure yourself!

I think you've just made this fact up.

There's no proof, so how can you present it like a fact?

Maybe true, maybe not. Let MA make a statement about it.

Or, preface it with "I think...".

no proof of a person with a goldcard being hacked = i dont believe you, especially because of the part with "they wish to stay in the dark" as you put it

Please enlighten me what you would do, but if I had a goldcard and i would get hacked, and MA won't help me and the police wouldn't help me, I would come to EF, make a thread about this, and let people know THAT THE GOLDCARD GIVES YOU A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY.
Is it out of shame? I have a goldcard, I have antivirus software, I have a firewall, what more can I do? It's not my fault so i would not feel ashamed to let people know.

Look, it's not my decision not to tell anyone so don't preach to me. They don't wish their names to be revealed and that's perfectly fine by me. And it's not about what you would do or what i would do, it's about their right to privacy.

No your taking on the idiots view of absolutes, e.g. if its not democracy its anarchy; if it's not good its evil; with us or against us.

The fact is this, The Gold Card DOES give you a higher power of protection. But MA still have NO duty to do anything about a person who has been compromised and ownes one. You didn't buy insurance, you bought extra security.

And to Fliss, not sure about the Swedish, they most likely will since, like you said, they have a division primarily for it, however, the Canadian authorities will not. I can't say if they will still refuse if you constantly nag them but certainly not at first.

Speaking out about this helps raise awareness so people get a gold card. if u want me to pretend its allrite and just spend more money then ur not understanding the point of posts like this. Im helping others learn frm my mistake by seein what happens when proper care isnt taken into account security.. put urself in my shoes and then thnk bout wht u post... Try imagining that all uve worked for and is gone because someone decided they were going to steal it all.. Its not a pleasant time for me right now...

I don't mean to be mean and I apologize if I misread but you have been playing for years and you did not know what a Gold Card was?

I don't mean to be mean and I apologize if I misread but you have been playing for years and you did not know what a Gold Card was?

Played for bout 2 yrs and heard bout it but i never knew wht it was. i thought it was a monthly fee of some short. u wud b surprized how many players dont know bout it or dont understand how it works....

it actually is a gold member smart card accourding to the tt :laugh:

Played for bout 2 yrs and heard bout it but i never knew wht it was. i thought it was a monthly fee of some short. u wud b surprized how many players dont know bout it or dont understand how it works....

It's scary to me that people would deposit real money into a system without any knowledge of how to secure it. It's like renting an apartment (RL) and leaving the door unlocked cuz you didn't know where to get or how to use a key to lock the front door.

I remember questioning it as a newbie, but once I started actively depositing and playing, I did some research and realized how necessary it was to protect the time and money I'd put into PE.

I guess this is an opportunity for education in general to help people understand the importance.

It's like renting an apartment (RL) and leaving the door unlocked cuz you didn't know where to get or how to use a key to lock the front door.

Quick Fliss is here! Lock ya doors!!! :nana:

There is a new, insidious keylogger that is circulating around the net, it's called the "007 Keylogger". It slices, it dices... damn it even circumvents firewalls!
This thing is so advanced, it reads not only your keystrokes, but it reads past the kernel that handles the keystrokes and reads whats being printed on your screen (part OCR), it also is usually programmed to take SCREENSHOTS of your monitor every X seconds (modifiable by the creator) and when the screenshot pack reaches a certain size, it's compressed and cache-sent to somewhere online... bypassing even Zonealarm!

I was wondering, can that program even be distributed in all those funny small movie clip and pictures that people put in threads like this?
I dont dare to see those movie-clips :scratch:

how about sending one to MA to figure out the loot system :silly2: :laugh:

I was wondering, can that program even be distributed in all those funny small movie clip and pictures that people put in threads like this?
I dont dare to see those movie-clips :scratch:

Good anti virus detects 007 keylogger, and for your question, people can make 1 file out of 2 files. Put a .jpg and a .exe together and you open the newly made .jpg, and on the background you open the exe =/ Life sucks.

The auction purchases:
2007-01-21 06:10 UTC your avatar bought 0.75 PED Fine hide to the price 1300 PED.

2007-01-21 06:18 UTC your avatar bought 0.03 PED Paint Can (Yellow) to the price 205 PED.

These items were then sold to the Trade Terminal and the money (0.75 + 0.03 PED) was transferred to your PED card.

If MA has a descent log, they should know who got your PEDs and thus who knows/is the hacker ...
Need i say more?
I'm willing to go on strike till MA fixes some of the most urgent issues. Seriously, start an event, ask them to establish a log if they dont have it yet ... we could all strike, i'm willing for the greater cause ... might show some withdrawal symptoms tho ;) , but it's worth it, we should get them to take us serious imo.

If MA has a descent log, they should know who got your PEDs and thus who knows/is the hacker ...
Need i say more?
I'm willing to go on strike till MA fixes some of the most urgent issues. Seriously, start an event, ask them to establish a log if they dont have it yet ... we could all strike, i'm willing for the greater cause ... might show some withdrawal symptoms tho ;) , but it's worth it, we should get them to take us serious imo.

Their logs are going to show one avatar trading items to another avatar. Likely no conversation in the trade window and no clear indication that it is either a scam or a hack in any way. A lot of people do trades where they've had discussions on forum PM's, instant messengers, teamspeak/ventrilo, etc. where there is no chat log which occurs in game.

There is no way for MA to make certain that it wasn't a legitimate trade. There is no way for MA to make sure that this isn't an elaborate set-up by the "victim" in an effort to get free stuff (not saying this is the case here, I'm talking in general).

They also can't be held responsible for how secure we decide to leave our accounts and computers. They've offered added security through the gold card functionality. As far as I'm concerned, if you are not willing to leave behind all the items/skills/etc you have invested in PE, then you need to have a gold card to secure it.

MA taking action would still hurt someone in the end. If they took the items away from the current owner and gave them back to the victim, that could hurt several people. Items change hands quickly and constantly. It could be three people down a chain by a few days, those people having paid real ped for the item - you can't just take it from them when they bought it legitimately. And the only other option would be for MA to give duplicates to the victim -- which in cases of very rare items could devalue the worth to the other owners of those items.

Sure the account may show that it was logged in from multiple IP addresses ... but what does that say for sure? Maybe I travel all over the world for work and log in. Maybe I loaned out my account to a friend. Maybe I could be setting the whole thing up and have someone I know log in from a different location.

Bottom line is there is no way that MA could take action that would be "fair" to all, and the account owner needs to be held responsible (as clearly stated in the EULA) for their account and what happens to it. Until a clear case is presented showing how someone was hacked who has a gold card, I think the majority of us stand in support of this approach as the best method.

There is no way for MA to make certain that it wasn't a legitimate trade. There is no way for MA to make sure that this isn't an elaborate set-up by the "victim" in an effort to get free stuff (not saying this is the case here, I'm talking in general).

True. Unfortunately, ppl may actually do that ... didnt think of that ... must be because i have nothing but good intentions :)

They also can't be held responsible for how secure we decide to leave our accounts and computers.

True again. I shouldve thought of it myself, thanks for clearing it up, +rep for your input.

This may explain my first post in this thread. I thought it meant someone bought 0.75 PED fine hide, so 1 hide !, for 1300 PED, obviously if someone puts 1 hide in auction and gets such a price for it, he/she must be connected to the hacker imo. But i suppose i misunderstood the auction info, the amount isnt stated i guess, then it may not be a link to the hacker ...

This may explain my first post in this thread. I thought it meant someone bought 0.75 PED fine hide, so 1 hide !, for 1300 PED, obviously if someone puts 1 hide in auction and gets such a price for it, he/she must be connected to the hacker imo. But i suppose i misunderstood the auction info, the amount isnt stated i guess, then it may not be a link to the hacker ...

Well MA does know who the hacker is. but they refuse to say anything or reveal who it was.... Though they have the power to do so... Their basically protecting a criminal... A simple reversal of transactions would have solved everything. take frm the other avatar the peds and transfer them bak to me... but whats done is done i guess... wont be hangin around much longer in EU thats for sure...

i am so irritated for you. what a terrible thing to happen,

I have happened now like i asked before.
I was looking at a movieclip from some thread, the clip was from youtube.
When starting the clip the internet becames funny, it kinda stuck.
So i run a viruscheck and found a trojan-file.
Dont know what the file was for but my virusprogram erased the file.
I dont look at more youtube-files now.

I have happened now like i asked before.
I was looking at a movieclip from some thread, the clip was from youtube.
When starting the clip the internet becames funny, it kinda stuck.
So i run a viruscheck and found a trojan-file.
Dont know what the file was for but my virusprogram erased the file.
I dont look at more youtube-files now.

wow i didnt know that was possible but ofc now that seems reciculously obvious that someone could slip somthin into a vid file. do you know which vid was the contaminated one exactly?

Sorry to here you've been hacked dude. A GC is top of my things to buy list.

Good luck with getting back your stuff:)

wow i didnt know that was possible but ofc now that seems reciculously obvious that someone could slip somthin into a vid file. do you know which vid was the contaminated one exactly?

No sorry i was so scared atm i dont remember wich clip it was. I was more like thinking wow now i get hacked to. But my virusprogram found the file at once so i think that nothing really happened to my computer. I run some more check on my computer after that and didnt find anything else.

i got a virus warning at youtube as well. wasn't a video though, i'd clicked an ad link by accident and then my virus alarms went crazy!

Back