The Gate :: Old PE Magazine Files unearthed

hmmm
im still kinda new here so forgive me if im wrong
but...
if i got it right you got the issue shipped to your rl address
so, if i put a thread or something like that asking to buy it what guarantee do i have that ill get it?
i could hold the money till it gets here but then...
what guarantee will the seller have??
besides.... its kinda old...
id love to read it and all... but i dont plan to pay for an old magazine
would you pay 1USD for a year old newspaper?
i was wondering if anyone had scans of it or something like that
^^

So you propose a violation of the Copyright? :)

Just joking, I have no idea at all.

:yay: Nice thanks very much.

A blast from the past, and before my time on Calypso... nice to see and read... THANX 711 for historical interest. :yay:

So you propose a violation of the Copyright? :)

Just joking, I have no idea at all.

how old is this??
if im not wrong copyright expires after 5years ^~
ill post again later then ;P

dont even know if magazines are copyrighted
i mean the title and layout ok
but the texts??
if im not wrong you can copy a magazine giving the credit to it

Hei Edana

There is a magazine that is made by Eu players now days to.
It's called The Calypso Post (TCP) read more about in this EF thread:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65537

or vist the us @ www.euforces.com

And btw if you ever get your hands on a scaned copy of The Entropian.
I would like to have a copy to ;) since they don't sell em ingame anymore if I'm not wrong.

OSI-14 - Personal Sized Hoovercraft???????
Wtf is that? ok i mean, cool having a vehicle but doesnt the feeling with Agility dissapear?
or will that come???

Hei Edana

There is a magazine that is made by Eu players now days to.
It's called The Calypso Post (TCP) read more about in this EF thread:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65537

or vist the us @ www.euforces.com

And btw if you ever get your hands on a scaned copy of The Entropian.
I would like to have a copy to ;) since they don't sell em ingame anymore if I'm not wrong.

yep i read it ^^
but i wanted to see the entropian...
if i can ever find a scaned copy ill make sure to post it on EF

yep i read it ^^
but i wanted to see the entropian...
if i can ever find a scaned copy ill make sure to post it on EF

Probably not, as 711 would have it removed in about two seconds. ;)

And for your information my copy says "Spring 2006" and later "[SIZE=-1]© 2006".

Edit:
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hlc
[/SIZE]
For works made for hire, and for anonymous and pseudonymous works (unless the author’s identity is revealed in Copyright Office records), the duration of copyright will be 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation, whichever is shorter.

Edit2: It seems the above is only for the US. However generally it's x years after the death of the author.

Last edited:
Probably not, as 711 would have it removed in about two seconds. ;)

And for your information my copy says "Spring 2006" and later "[SIZE=-1]© 2006".

Edit:
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hlc
[/SIZE]

Edit2: It seems the above is only for the US. However generally it's x years after the death of the author.

Yes, the author of whatever owns the piece from when it was made and on forward. That's why Elvis Presley still is the artist that makes most money per year.... Only free music is Mozart and othe rold stuff. I think it say 75 years or something in the law book.

But today's people thinks everuthing is or should be for free, but that's another discussion :)

Regarding it's OK to copy and give credit. IU have the right to copy PIECES" not a whole book.

I did find this place
http://s168179339.websitehome.co.uk/magazines/

Kind of explains why there never where a no2. MA was never involved, it was a company that made it for them and there where probably to less sold IRL.

Quote from the site:
At 150 PED (plus 50 PED p+p worldwide) for a single issue, The Entropian is available to pre-order now via the online auction system inside the Entropia Universe, as a straight buy-out. Discounts are available for those wishing to take out a yearly subscription – 560 PED (plus 200 PED p+p worldwide).

Looks like no one did pay for the yearly subscription...

I did find this place
http://s168179339.websitehome.co.uk/magazines/

Kind of explains why there never where a no2. MA was never involved, it was a company that made it for them and there where probably to less sold IRL.

Quote from the site:

Looks like no one did pay for the yearly subscription...

=/
i would but i wasnt in the game at that time

i dont think everything should be free but i do think magazines, newspaper and things like that should since its content will most likely only be usefull at the time they are published

wow cool finds didn't no there was once a magazine

OK a few things.

First:

There are SEVERAL PE/eu related mags/newspapers that have been made over the years

Off the top of my head theres:

The Gate
The Entropian (actually published in hard copy)
Entropia Insider
The Calypso Independed (officially disbanded and authors write for EI now)
UberMag
The Calypso Post <--- shameless plug :D

There are at least 2 more as well but I've temporarily misplaced that part of my memory.

Second:

I'll be poking a couple of people from this thread who I think may want to write for TCP :D

Third:

The Entropian is pretty Good and if your a fan of the game worth buying anyhow if you can find a copy (ebay maybe?) Afraid scans are a big no no.

If I were you, I'd actually try writing to MA support asking if you can buy a copy through them. Rumour has it that MA bought the unsold copies to give away for promotional purposes... don't quote me on that though. But I think its worth a try.

Funnilly the mag is still fairly current as theres plenty that MA talk about in the interviews that STILL isn't in game :laugh: There is some great fiction in it too by Frank (from MA) and Az (of Sterling and Moss).

Forth:

There may possibly be an article on the Entropian Story and why there wasn't a second issue in a future issue of The Calypso Post Highly dependant though on how many noses I want to put out of joint... (if any :laugh:)

Hope thats useful
Wistrel

Nice find; +rep

:yay::yay::yay:

I'm new to this game. Anyone now how many Mags this game actually has. I really want to know this game from its starting like a historian.

hmm
afaik there was the gate and the entropian
now you can find on the forum the calypso Post and entropia exposed

edit: read wistrels post, she mentioned some more

I'm new to this game. Anyone now how many Mags this game actually has. I really want to know this game from its starting like a historian.

The Gate
The Entrpoian
Uber Mag.
The Calypso Post - Active
Entripia Exposed - Active

I'm sure I have missed some ;) there have been many...

it's so nice to look at The Gate again :) it's been a while since I've seen those :) brings back a lot of good memories

lol - really good stuff ty man! :yay::yay:

thanks for that 711 +rep for posting

i feel i've discovered a treasure trove :)

will have to read them all later properly...

was skimming thru and noticed hell city in issue one. that caught my attention did anyone ever find it?

maybe its a location in the sea somewhere north of Ithaca...as in the story it mentioned hovercraft was set to autopilot for Neo Ithaca...

Hey, nice find o.o... I should read them someday...

Offtopic: I was thinking lately about the old PE... Does anyone have any early screens from PE?

Yes, this forum for example has a lot ;)

Gallery -> "Beta & Cot"

but its messed up a litle as many people uploaded globals and hofs into this section. :/

Yes, this forum for example has a lot ;)

Gallery -> "Beta & Cot"

but its messed up a litle as many people uploaded globals and hofs into this section. :/

I'll try to remove any images that don't belong in this section.

haha i just took a browse for nostalgic purposes and found an article i had written for them back then. fun find, thanks :yay:

Hey, nice find o.o... I should read them someday...

Offtopic: I was thinking lately about the old PE... Does anyone have any early screens from PE?

Was looking at some of my old ones today haha PA used to be such a wide expanse! Its really populated with stuff now.

Was looking at some of my old ones today haha PA used to be such a wide expanse! Its really populated with stuff now.
Could you post some of it ;)?

PA used to be empty. I remember finding THREE other people there one day, it turned into an exciting social event. I hadn't seen another player other than my friends in over two weeks.

I miss The Gate, I started about a week before they put out issue 3, I even tried to enter the caption contest to win me a gun. Sure it had lots of bugs back then, but I think that the old days were the most fun I ever had in the game. Back then the world seemed so huge, so uncertain for a noob. Hell, I remember being dropped in the wilderness outside JC as my starting point... I ran west to get to PA so I could hook up with a couple friend that had been playing for a week already... I ran most of the way as a ghost when an Atrax chased me down.

Thank you very much 711, you have helped me relive some very fond memories by getting these linked.

Back