Want to buy peds?

Usurper

Stalker
Society
Freelancer
Emelie USURPER Andersson
I get this question all the time and i don't know what to make of it.
Avatars offers to sell X amonts of peds for X amounts of $.

As i said, i don't know what to make of it but my scammer alert bell goes of instantly.

Any thoughts?

Against EULA isnt it?

Also, basically the bell goes off..

Could be somebody that have $ in paypal and do not know own to transfer them to Eu...:)
Or a scammer...:(

More likely someone that has PED, or wants you to think they do, and wants to get cash out of the EU and doesn't want to wait the 90 days.

Oh please tell us EU Debit/ATM cards are coming back soon!

More likely someone that has PED, or wants you to think they do, and wants to get cash out of the EU and doesn't want to wait the 90 days.

Probably.
But if you get scammed, can't neither go to cry in Marco's office.
I'll slap you across the face and ban you from EU for 2 weeks for violating the EULA...:(

I have never figured out how this is actually against the EULA, or even could be. Unless I missed it, I don't see anything in there that says it is forbidden. If anyone has seen that, let me know.

Before you do it, you would need to have at least a little trust in the person. I guess you could always reverse the Paypal transaction if they tried to rip you off.

The thing is, that not only is there a delay in getting your money out of EU, but there is also a fee on both ends. If you exchange cash for PEDs or items, you avoid all of this.

I guess I'd really like to hear from MA one way or the other.

I have never figured out how this is actually against the EULA, or even could be. Unless I missed it, I don't see anything in there that says it is forbidden. If anyone has seen that, let me know.

Before you do it, you would need to have at least a little trust in the person. I guess you could always reverse the Paypal transaction if they tried to rip you off.

The thing is, that not only is there a delay in getting your money out of EU, but there is also a fee on both ends. If you exchange cash for PEDs or items, you avoid all of this.

I guess I'd really like to hear from MA one way or the other.

6. Ownership and Transactions
The participant deposits funds in advance and have the right to withdraw funds on the avatar that are not spent.
Virtual items will often have names similar or identical to corresponding physical categories such as "people," "real estate," "possessions," and the names of specific items in those categories such as "house," "rifle," "tools," "armor," etc. Despite the similar names, all virtual items are part of the System and MindArk retains all rights, title, and interest in all parts including, but not limited to Avatars and Virtual items; these retained rights include, without limitation, patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret and other proprietary rights throughout the world.
As part of your interactions with the System, you may acquire, create, design, or modify Virtual items, but you agree that you will not gain any ownership interest whatsoever in any Virtual item, and you hereby assign to MindArk all of your rights, title and interest in any such Virtual item.
All and any trade with Virtual items, virtual funds, as well as real fund transactions, must be done through MindArk approved procedures.
Any such transactions carried out using any non-approved procedure is a violation and can result in a lockdown of any involved account. If you are unsure if a certain transaction is approved or not, you must contact the Entropia Universe support for confirmation.

Seems pretty clear don't it?

Also:

8. Transactions between Participants
The Entropia Universe is fitted with an economy system that enables Participants to carry out secure transactions with other Participants, in which buyers and sellers exchange Virtual Items, Virtual Funds and Real-Life Items (the "Approved Transaction").

You acknowledge that any exchange carried out using any Non-Approved transaction procedure is at your own risk. MindArk reserves the right to take any necessary measures for the purpose of preventing and acting against frauds and Non-Approved Transactions, including, but not limited to, making a reservation against a suspected Transaction, and terminating a directly or indirectly involved Account, if MindArk judges that the Transaction was not performed in compliance to this Agreement.

All and any trade with Virtual items, virtual funds, as well as real fund transactions, must be done through MindArk approved procedures. Any such transactions carried out using any non-approved procedure is a violation and can result in a lockdown of any involved account.

Thanks for pointing that out. You are the first person who has pointed to that section.

If you go through and read section #8 it basically says that if you do use a non-approved method of transaction, it is at your own risk. Seems to be a conflicting statement.

Has number 6 always had that clause or is that part of the new banking EULA? I've always read through them fairly carefully when they make changes and I am amazed that I would have missed that clause in every one.

Well, selling peds out of game may be frowned upon, but it was quite common before the cash cards came about, and is probably as frequent now that they have taken them away.

Well, selling peds out of game may be frowned upon, but it was quite common before the cash cards came about, and is probably as frequent now that they have taken them away.

I agree completely, with the cash cards gone and the Official Passport requirements (weird but yeah some of us dont travel) it is the only way to access your funds within a reasonable time frame.

Not that I ever would of course *looks frantically around* but it is feasible. That being said, I would not deal with a random_avatar04 for that type of thing, but rather with a friend or someone you 'think' you can trust. You never do know how much it costs to buyout a virtual friendship, but I've seen them sell for the amounts of Hangar Deeds or Adj/Imp/Mod stuffs.

It used to be commonplace and was very convenient for both people wanting beer money for the weekend, and people only needing 1-2k peds. The seller sacrificed 10-15% for a quick sell, and everyone was happy.

Then came the credit card fraud incidents, where well known members purchased dirty peds, and were locked for quite some time. After that, MA became very strict, as did the forums at any mention of buying peds via Paypal or other outside means.

It still goes on every day, just not out in the open like before. And I think it was Eps that sent in a support case that got MA to agree that peds could be used to purchase RL items, and therefore, cash ;)

I agree that there are issues not only with cc fraud, but also money laundering, etc. They should be a real concern for everyone because of the effect that it would have on the game.

But until there is a quick and free means of transferring money in and out of the game, I have to think that there is little chance of this ending.

I think that the key is that you use your brain and not be blatant or stupid about it.

Its either a scam or a way to avoid paying the transaction fee's for withdrawng cash, I guess. :silly2:

bork

oony shmoony .... Bork Bork BORK! :yay:

i've been approached with this before, and always thought it was silly since well, if i want peds i can buy them from the transaction center, and lord knows have done this way too many times.

maybe they are not attempting to scam you but save themselves those 90 days and the 3% loss on withdrawel.

but i am reminded of a particular hangar and supremacy set owner that got scammed on a paypal deal last year that had a subsequent awareness ad campaign on the ad boards. anyone that considers this sort of thing, yes, it is against eula, and if you enter into this anyway there are multiple ways for you to get scammed.

so if you want peds, do the right thing and just deposit like normal ppl. if you want your money out, well, have fun on the wait time, but at least this is the safest way to put your money in or out and the approved and legal method.

Tnx for the input and your opinions.
As i would never venture into a deal of this nature, and ontop of that, with an "unknown" avatar, i was just out for some thoughts on the matter.

Appriciates the answers! Cheers!:)

Has number 6 always had that clause or is that part of the new banking EULA? I've always read through them fairly carefully when they make changes and I am amazed that I would have missed that clause in every one.

not always been there, but certainly not new. was added in the July 06 overhaul iirc.

... And I think it was Eps that sent in a support case that got MA to agree that peds could be used to purchase RL items, and therefore, cash ;)

interesting, so you're saying you can buy dollars?

ofc, if they sorted out withdrawal to be a sensible time period, then this wouldnt be an issue.

maybe they are not attempting to scam you but save themselves those 90 days and the 3% loss on withdrawel.

There is also a fee for depositing.

but i am reminded of a particular hangar and supremacy set owner that got scammed on a paypal deal last year that had a subsequent awareness ad campaign on the ad boards. anyone that considers this sort of thing, yes, it is against eula, and if you enter into this anyway there are multiple ways for you to get scammed.

Yes, there is a huge liability on the part of the seller when using Paypal. But that actually works for you as a buyer. Just as IRL, if some suspicious character walks up to you and says "pssst, buddy, wanna buy a watch?" use your brain and walk away.

I'm not necessarily advocating the buying of peds from strangers, but if someone I know wants to sell me an item and I pay him IRL, then I don't see how that should be a problem.

By doing this though, I am also assuming the liability of making sure that said item is not stolen. Just as in RL. If it did turn out to be stolen or scammed, I would fully expect to lose it.

not always been there, but certainly not new. was added in the July 06 overhaul iirc.

There has been talk of this since I started. I have been back over that EULA many, many times. If not for the fact that they stuck this sentence in the section about ownership rights of the software and designs, it probably would have been a little more obvious and useful. Especially since the word "forbidden" appears nowhere in section 8.

ofc, if they sorted out withdrawal to be a sensible time period, then this wouldnt be an issue.

Exactly!

Back