Second Avatar Question

Sneaky B'stard

Provider
Society
Bastards Incorporated
Sneaky Sneaky B'stard
OK I ran into an old friend the other day - he quit PE several years ago..
We got to talking about it and he told me that he had 2 avatars when he played back then. He used to use the second avatar for extra storage room.
Now before you all start saying thats not allowed - bear in mind this point..
When he was playing the EULA stated that you could only have one avatar per email account. So since he had 2 email accounts (1 for work and 1 for home) the EULA allowed him to have 2 avatars back then.

Now the EULA says you can only have one avatar per person - so I would like to know where he would stand now if he was still in EU today. I dont want to know about whether it is fair to have multiple avatars or not - that point has been debated to death on these forums already. I just want to know what you think about the EULA change and multiple avatars.... Has MA said anything about this that I havent heard about ? What is your opinion on this matter ?
Discuss.

As far as I know it´s not allowed !!
I have 3 avatars here at my home, but one belongs to my daughter (17) and the other one is my son (15).
And as long as they are under 18 they have no rights to do any trades in EU without my OK and that's is also according to the laws in Sweden.
So in that case multiple accounts from one and the same IP is OK, however they also have different mails on the accounts.

I could also refer you to an on going discussion about it here https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60908 :D

It was okay.

I personally asked Marco in the old MA-chat - if it was okay to have more then one avatar registered in my name - and he said it was okay.
But this was a couple of years ago, later they added a rule that made second avatars was illegal.

Your old friend is not bullshitting you. ;)

It is not allowed to have two avatars according to the EULA, but as we know MA does not fully enforce all the EULA rules. If you were to use multiple avatars to scam or exploit, you would be banned and they would point at this rule. If you use multiple avatars to (for example) keep your piloting business running, they wont care.

Until there are proper systems in place that makes multiple avatars unnecessary, MA wont do much about it.

I think I would agree with Darkaner here. While having 2 avas is against the EULA, I think there would need to be clear evidence of malicious (bad) activity to force a ban. I could be wrong, but as stated not all the EULA rules are enforced. It would be difficult to be selective about which ones are enforced.

My wife has an account and so do I. We run them from the same IP. She never plays Entropia but she has an account and I like logging in on it from time to time just to sweat alittle and feel like a complete noob haha...

But I do understand MA´s reasons for not allowing 2+ avatars. But the case is we have many players that have more than 1 account. Many of those follow fappers have 2 accounts as well as those hangar blocking fellows have more than 1 account. And then there are those that make new accounts for the storage space. Franky I would do that as well if I had the guts to anger the gods lol. But I can always buy an apartment and storage boxes so there is no need for me to break the EULA in any way...

Well those are my two pecs...

Claire

It is not allowed to have two avatars according to the EULA, but as we know MA does not fully enforce all the EULA rules. If you were to use multiple avatars to scam or exploit, you would be banned and they would point at this rule. If you use multiple avatars to (for example) keep your piloting business running, they wont care.

Until there are proper systems in place that makes multiple avatars unnecessary, MA wont do much about it.

If you can't manage a flying business with just one avatar then you are in the wrong business. As for MA not doing much about multiple avatars, you obviously haven't read about NeverDie. ;)

We all know Neverdie is special. You too would be special if you had something worth more than 100.000 thousand dollars in the game that everyone can see, visit, enjoy and benefit from.

I truly think it´s a fair thing for him to have more than 1 account. I mean I would want to have multible accounts if I was rich and invested some huge amounts of money into Entropia.

Well another 2 pecs..

Claire

We all know Neverdie is special. You too would be special if you had something worth more than 100.000 thousand dollars in the game that everyone can see, visit, enjoy and benefit from.

I truly think it´s a fair thing for him to have more than 1 account. I mean I would want to have multible accounts if I was rich and invested some huge amounts of money into Entropia.

Well another 2 pecs..

Claire

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50278

I have been formally notified that it is deemed that my continued use of Island Girls avatar is in Violation of Mindarks' prohibition of the use of Multiple Avatars and the transference of an Avatar to another Person.

Probably the best case of somebody not doing any harm, yet being asked to comply with the EULA.

If you can't manage a flying business with just one avatar then you are in the wrong business. As for MA not doing much about multiple avatars, you obviously haven't read about NeverDie. ;)

You can use a second avatar as a pilot, and that pilot avatar can be used by many people while the hangar owner keeps the deed. If I'm not mistaken, MA even suggest hangar owners to use this setup?

Neverdie has been using that ava for what is it, two years, and now they kindly ask him to stop using her. That's pretty far from the harsh EULA statement about multiple avatars. :)

I think the way it works now is that your allowed to have a 2nd account if it's used solely for flying your ship. I could be wrong

You can use a second avatar as a pilot, and that pilot avatar can be used by many people while the hangar owner keeps the deed. If I'm not mistaken, MA even suggest hangar owners to use this setup?

No idea on that one, and like the old one account per email address it may have changed over time.

You have to manage in rl with just the one you, so surely it cannot be that hard to manage in EU with just one avatar?

You can't simply clone yourself rl and for example, have the clone live at the office so you don't need to trouble yourself with doing something less fun than you might otherwise be. And like in rl, just because you can do something in EU it doesn't make it right.

Getting other people/avatars to help is different, but if you yourself do not have the motivation, time or capability to run a flying business with just one avatar, you really should find another business.

Neverdie has been using that ava for what is it, two years, and now they kindly ask him to stop using her. That's pretty far from the harsh EULA statement about multiple avatars. :)

Which part of "in Violation of Mindarks' prohibition of the use of Multiple Avatars " as quoted by ND isn't to do with the EULA and multiple avatars? Sure, it wasn't the only reason, but the use of multiple avatars was specifically mentioned as a violation in this case.

I think the way it works now is that your allowed to have a 2nd account if it's used solely for flying your ship. I could be wrong

If that is true, then that should be written into the EULA. And if it was written into the EULA, I would definately call BULLSHIT. What is good for one is good for all. There is not a profession in the game that should get special treatment and rules changed just for them. That would be like me saying I need a second avatar so I can stand in Twin Peaks selling my ores and at the same time the other avatar is mining somewhere else.

It all depends

on how the 2nd avatar is used. As I posted in {Seen a lot of topics " is this fair " (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)} started by : The Fixer, if a society or group of friends owns a hangar, I see no problem with a pilot only avatar. Then the deed need not be passed about. If a person has 2 or more avatars for private use, for whatever reason, then that person has broken the EULA.

Just my :twocents:

Regards
Susan :)

To possibly shed a little light on the Neverdie situation and what I think may have happened I offer this story. I had a soc mate that passed away last year. She had a husband who had played long ago for a short time and also an account for her son. A little while after her passing her husband began to log onto her account to explore her EU life as well as take stock of her significant worth in game. We had contacted MA about possibly getting a memorial plaque placed in or on the soc house somewhere. The reply MA gave him was that they would create something in her honor once her avatar was officialy retired and closed. I know it was not a week or two afterward I saw Neverdie`s post about the Island Girl avatar and thought this may be related due to similar circumstances. Perhaps they thought it was time to drop the double standard before someone raised a complaint about the issue.

Getting other people/avatars to help is different, but if you yourself do not have the motivation, time or capability to run a flying business with just one avatar, you really should find another business.

Maybe hangar owners wants to have employees flying their ship? The multiple ava solution lets them have this. Until a proper employee system is in place this is totally ok with me.

Which part of "in Violation of Mindarks' prohibition of the use of Multiple Avatars " as quoted by ND isn't to do with the EULA and multiple avatars? Sure, it wasn't the only reason, but the use of multiple avatars was specifically mentioned as a violation in this case.

Well he wasn't banned was he? ;) My point is, unless you do something nasty MA wont permban you right away for having two avatars. It is a minor offense.

Well he wasn't banned was he? ;) My point is, unless you do something nasty MA wont permban you right away for having two avatars. It is a minor offense.

The point is MA did do something about it because they asked him to stop. He wasn't banned because he complied when asked to do so.

Ok clear and cut simple reply...
Long time ago it was legal to own 2 avatars. However now it is illegal to own two avatars unless with explicit consent by MA. You are Legally bound to this agreement when signing into EU with the disclaimer right in front of you.. At that moment when seeing this disclaimer you have the right not to click to log into the world. Once you do you are bound by it sorry no way around it unless you have MA's consent.
I personally can see an old legal loop hold in it due to personal investment into the skills and time of the two old avatars, but this is not what this is about so I wont say nothing.
Try asking Ma for their consent. If they say no, ask if you can have enough time to transfer the belongings form one avatar to the other and possibly even the skills. If they still say no; I would say seek legal representation. Thats time and cash gone which could constitute theft and reimbursment accordintg to the laws in your area which they are bound by.
Bythe way any disclaimer that goes against laws is considered void in my country, thus the law being supreme and first and formost before any other sublaw and or contract/agreement.
I dont know where your from but good luck. I think they would let you transfer the items and skills within a reasonable time.

Back