EU on Linux (WINE)

xpoptartx

Guardian
Society
Black Angel's Awakening
William Napoleon Holz
I know this has been brought up multiple times, but I've actually got it working. :yay: The only thing I can't seem to figure out is why most of the font isn't showing up. :scratch2:

My Rig:
AMD X2 4200+
1GB DDR2 PC800
300GB SATAII Hard Drive
Nvidia 7900gs PCI-X

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
Nvidia Driver 1.0-9746
WINE 0.9.33
EU (Latest VU)

Heres some screenshots:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Napolean333/EntropiaUniverse

If any of you can help me figure out how to fix the font I will be forever grateful. :D

Yay!

Yay!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: Now I can play too! :)

Perhaps maybe you need to have installed msttruecorefonts package?

It should be in the Ubuntu Repositories. Try Synaptic, as I may have forgotten the spelling on it. :p Reply with your outcome...

Woot, that's great news! :yay:

And yeah, as Che' said, try instaling ms font package. Or, if you have windows installed on the same machine, you can just copy the fonts from there. There's even a tool for that in the KDE control panel, don't know for sure how to do that under gnome though.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I actually already have msttcorefonts installed. I also copied the entire font directory from...
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/
into...
/home/xpoptartx/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts
and it still doesnt work.

Do you guys have any other suggestions? :confused:

Thanks for the quick reply.
I actually already have msttcorefonts installed. I also copied the entire font directory from...
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/
into...
/home/xpoptartx/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts
and it still doesnt work.

Do you guys have any other suggestions? :confused:

Try and put the font files in every directory.:ahh:

If it works them you just have to delete a few thousands of them

Sometimes brute force approach has some merits :D

Im not sure about your font pronlem - but all the people I know running PE under linux use Cedega and Point2play to get it to run under linux - they have never had any font problems or anything - it has always run perfectly for them - even on the latest VU...I know this wont help your font problems - but I thought you might like to know there is more than one way to get PE running under linux.....

I know this has been brought up multiple times, but I've actually got it working. :yay: The only thing I can't seem to figure out is why most of the font isn't showing up. :scratch2:

My Rig:
AMD X2 4200+
1GB DDR2 PC800
300GB SATAII Hard Drive
Nvidia 7900gs PCI-X

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
Nvidia Driver 1.0-9746
WINE 0.9.33
EU (Latest VU)

Heres some screenshots:

If any of you can help me figure out how to fix the font I will be forever grateful. :D

i have tried it both under wine with some kind of dirextx 8 clone, did not work ..allso tried it using cedega and it was the same thing. I have basicaly tried everything and have come to the conclution that it wont work. MA do you mind making EU OpenGL instead?:)

can you give me some more info because I have troble with directx :( so I still cant run it so can you help and if you can pleas let me know I realy would like to run it under Linux :D because PE is the only thing why I have windows on my PC :D

Hmmm i've heard Linux will work on PS3 ?? Entropia on PS3 anyone? =D

Jam.

To be honest i think one can even install microsoft windows on a ps3 theres an option on the menu for loading a different OS , i've not tried it but i know it's there .....i got mine last friday =P :woot:

My Rig:
AMD X2 4200+
1GB DDR2 PC800
300GB SATAII Hard Drive
Nvidia 7900gs PCI-X

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
Nvidia Driver 1.0-9746
WINE 0.9.33
EU (Latest VU)

Heres some screenshots:

could you please share how you got this working, dont be affraid of the technical terms. I speek tech:)

Sneaky B'stard said:
Im not sure about your font pronlem - but all the people I know running PE under linux use Cedega and Point2play to get it to run under linux - they have never had any font problems or anything - it has always run perfectly for them - even on the latest VU...I know this wont help your font problems - but I thought you might like to know there is more than one way to get PE running under linux.....

I use Cedega too, but could never get it to work.

So, perhaps if you could coerce someone you know that got it running to post a step-by-step here? That would be so great.

What I did so far: I got EU to download the VU and show me the login screen, let me login and show me the loading screen. Thats where it hung all the time, had to kill -9 WinE)

Regards,
DD

All these people running EU on linux, and not a single one that will say anything about it. What a coup for the MS people when the MS community is more vocal and helpful than the linux community. :laugh:

Well i guess i won't give up my XP install yet.

All these people running EU on linux, and not a single one that will say anything about it. What a coup for the MS people when the MS community is more vocal and helpful than the linux community. :laugh:

Well i guess i won't give up my XP install yet.

i have to agree with you, if you got in running tell us how? i have laborated with this off and on for as long as i have been playing EU but never got it working. These days i have windows installed only for the sake of playing EU.

Sucks big time

Try and put the font files in every directory.:ahh:

If it works them you just have to delete a few thousands of them

Sometimes brute force approach has some merits :D

well, it's linux remember, just symlink them.....
be careful tho, too much slop like this Micro$soft will want to hire u ;)

A word of advice: Make sure you have plenty of space to copy/install EU to. You can't run it from a ntfs volume (previous installation under Windows) :(

Back to the drawing board :)

Ok I tried with cedega 6.0 and copied over d3dx9_3.0.dll .

Client loader is ok, but fullscreen mode gives me the following dialog:

Renderer creation error: Did not findf any suitable framebuffer format.

Windowed mode shows the loading screen (Initializing...) and dies after a few minutes.

Anyone have a tip for me?

Ok I tried with cedega 6.0 and copied over d3dx9_3.0.dll .

Client loader is ok, but fullscreen mode gives me the following dialog:

Renderer creation error: Did not findf any suitable framebuffer format.

Windowed mode shows the loading screen (Initializing...) and dies after a few minutes.

Anyone have a tip for me?

i have tried the same thing using both wine and cedega but i never got it to work, sorry wish i could give great advice about this. Could the initial poster share what ever knowlege he has about this?

Ok, back...with some notes for this post:
- Ubuntu is too dim
- sudo / no root policy on Ubuntu is lame and annoying
- Wine is annoying - it's like a half-cut apartment frame. You have to finish building the upper half part before adding furniture and decorations...

What we see below is: Ubuntu Edgy + Wine(Universe) + msttcorefonts(Universe) + EU (which decided to repopulate my /home/mrproper folder with itself :scratch2: )

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Logs say:
04/15/07 20:04:17: DXWSetup: DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904.00
04/15/07 20:04:17: DXWSetup: Setup Version: 4.09.00.0904.00
04/15/07 20:04:17: DXWSetup: A newer version of DirectX have been installed already.

So, it's basically Wine's fault. Installed DX version: 9. Installing version 9, aborted. Installing DX SDK patches, impossible since DX9 is not installed for real!

Ok, getting the DX9 redist package, using it... doesn't actually seem to do anything, reading a guide about Oblivion and Wine (it uses GameBryo too) and copying manually some dlls and stuff. The dxwebsetup shuts up now, so we're good to go!

So... let's see what are we missing there... oh, I know, NVIDIA drivers...

WARNING: backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf NOW!!! Then read on.

Updated NVIDIA driver, left out of the X server for a few hours while trying fixes which didnt work. Finally used a combination of drivers, new drivers, force installs, updates, manual edits and crap like that to make it re-start.

Below is a picture of a failed DX surface initialisation.

A blank screen to play with... rebooting, mounting XP drive, copying d*.dll from system32 to Wine's drive... thus making sure DX9 files ARE present for sure! Setting up a higher resolution for the desktop, and going for the windowed mode, best chances to see if it works...

And... success! Look at that nice loading screen!

Windowed mode:
It appears I am poor, nameless and blind...

"Full-screen" mode (with higher res, do not use the full desktop, as you will kick yourself in the ass):
XKill failed to kill that window, so beware of full screen settings.

Notes:
- Do not play in full screen at the desktop's resolution, you can't exit the game or alt-tab
- To be able to use the mouse, drag it very very very fast away from the center of the window
- Depending on Wine settings, you may/may not use the mouse/keys for actual interraction with the game
- NO TEXT WHATSOEVER!!!
- Aim mode does work, cursor mode doesn't
- If you get stuck, press Alt+Ctlr+Backspace as a last resort!
- Video performance is absolutely unchanged from what I get on Windows.
- Use whatever settings you like in the CL and Wine. Pixel shaders can be enabled, I think they actually do something.

Ok, getting the DX9 redist package, using it... doesn't actually seem to do anything, reading a guide about Oblivion and Wine (it uses GameBryo too) and copying manually some dlls and stuff. The dxwebsetup shuts up now, so we're good to go!

some dlls? a guide about Oblivion? the two most critical things are left out?:D

i knew the rest can you please fill in the blanks. I found a link on google but it looked like a different solution.

copying some dx9 dlls is that not basicaly like copying the windows folder content from your windows installation where you run PE to the wine system folder?:)

mrproper said:
It appears I am poor, nameless and blind...

I read somewhere that you need the msttcorefonts. Can't tell if that happens with Cedega, coz I didn't get that far.

mrproper said:
"Full-screen" mode (with higher res, do not use the full desktop, as you will kick yourself in the ass):

Hm. For me, the client loader offers only my native X Res in fullscreen, and 2 resolutions (1024 and 1280 AFAIR) in windowed...

How long did it take your loading screen to setup the game in windowed? It hung a long time at "Initializing" for me, and then died. Well it was dead when I came back to look. Might try to sit this through some time.

Will try again this evening with cp windows/system32/d* as you did.

Did you ever finish the DX9 Install? Isn't quite clear.

Please give us a pointer to that Oblivion guide you used.

Regards,
DD

i know it easy for me to say "keep it up guys", you're doin all the hard work here.
This is becoming a really interesting thread.......

Firs of all, when it comes to Linux and it's crazy antics, no matter what distro and package I may want to combine, BRING OUT THE HATCHET!!!

Ubuntu Forums - http://ubuntuforums.org/
Great source of information, the site uses a theme I wanted to create and use independently and before them, that means I will be accused of plagiarims when I will use it :(

some dlls? a guide about Oblivion? the two most critical things are left out?:D

i knew the rest can you please fill in the blanks. I found a link on google but it looked like a different solution.

Using the search function for Wine and other games - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=349764&

As Wine changes and distros change, the how-to guides are no longer usable. But combining the knowledge in each and finding out WHY you do those things, build up a new way of fixing things in your mind. If it doesn't, you don't have hacker (ethical/black hacker) abilities.

copying some dx9 dlls is that not basicaly like copying the windows folder content from your windows installation where you run PE to the wine system folder?:)

Copying 30 files is not the same as copying 600mb of useless files. But you can assume that "copy dx dlls" is included in "copy all dlls". I just copied dx*.dll and d3*.dll.

I read somewhere that you need the msttcorefonts. Can't tell if that happens with Cedega, coz I didn't get that far.

As stated above, msttcorefonts is the first thing I installed. Afte VU 8.7 alot of interface objects changed, and linux/odd win language font packs do not show any texts....

How long did it take your loading screen to setup the game in windowed? It hung a long time at "Initializing" for me, and then died. Well it was dead when I came back to look. Might try to sit this through some time.

Wine boots in 10-15 seconds. This happens for each EXE launched (clientloader, entropia). After that, there is a slight slowdown when loading the world, since linux chugs everything into ram, and while rendering, cpu and disk seem to get low priorities. As for video performance, almost as good as in native Windows.

Will try again this evening with cp windows/system32/d* as you did.

Did you ever finish the DX9 Install? Isn't quite clear.

The dxwebsetup shuts up after copying the native dx9 dlls. The DX9 redist package doesn't seem to install anything, but it does try to check if the latest stuff is installed. Don't bother with DX9 setups or updates, copy the XP dlls.

I mentioned copying d*.dll, but you may restrict to dx*.dll and d3*.dll.

i know it easy for me to say "keep it up guys", you're doin all the hard work here.
This is becoming a really interesting thread.......

Well, another_very_very_big_mmorpg has a medium number of millions of subscribers. 3% of them use the game on linux via Wine and Cedega. It works very well on linux. They KNOW it, they WON'T DO anything about it (as in linux binary client). Draw your conclusion.

Back