mining thoughts

2. Skills mean something to your ability to break even. I have mined for almost 2 years doing maybe 1k-1500 bombs per 10 days and since i broke 3k in prospecting and geology some time ago i have never , ever, ever lost. Now i may have come back with 800 ped in or or less than the 1k but i have always recovered with % markup. .

I’ve been finding the same thing myself over the last couple of months. I’m certainly not a “great” miner by any means, I’ve never had an claim over XVIII huge and nothing approaching uber, but my mining runs, even at their worst bring regular returns in which I break even or better. I know when an area that should contain resources does or not and I’ve been able to turn my skills and abilities into a service that help to bring profits to others as well.

I know another miner who has been at it much longer than I have and likely has double my skills, but she finds that she has a difficult time breaking even, and decries that she rarely get globals or hofs anymore. She’s afraid, I think that her skills have grown too much to be of any value, or that perhaps she is hindered by the fact that she made thousands of PED mining over the years and hasn't needed to deposit, so that her success is “blocked”.

Would you suggest that over time your success rate has begun to wane? Weren’t there years long ago when the mining was much richer than it is now?

Would you suggest that over time your success rate has begun to wane? Weren’t there years long ago when the mining was much richer than it is now?[/QUOTE]

to be honest like i said , back in the day a long time ago mining was roughly the same . Its better now because there is a market for any ore. Back then it was tt food if it wasnt of the 3-4 minerals used for crafting. More people mining.

Also someone asked about the timing of respawns. WHat i have found is that 4-8 hours is the most common respawn tme for common ores. For rarer ores you will find it can be anywhere from a day(24 hours) to weeks or months. Its so hard to tell anymore as often times spots will be bombed over by other miners more so now than ever. What i would say is do like i did. A forced experiment that takes discipline. Bomb the same 4-5 coords everyhour til you see a respawn. I have done this quite a bit for each area i want to mine. BUt you cant expect it to be accurate with so many miners now.

Best i can say is find one spot learn it all together and then exploit as often as possible. just a hint but for a while Dunkel would respawn every 8 hours.

minimal succes is something which keeps me thinking too...

Skill gains often do lead to deposits. Its pretty obvious on CND most of all. 3 proscpecting gains in a straight line and then you hit something ... its not coincidence. or maybe it is.. i highly doubt it. Someone talked aout timing in a post when it came to availability of globals and hofs. There were times when i felt as though certain skill gains determined how close you were to a find in the respects of time. Ive tried it. doesnt work often enough to alter how i mine.

But... ever notice those days when you just seem to be hitting all the time? I think this is when the window of availability id wide open. Think about it this way i have seen times when commons areas would yield nothing. thats when i decided why do we get these flurries of globals and such. I think the system has a pressure release valve.

Minerals do migrate all over the planet. what i think is that so many miners mine in the same areas day after day that we just assume that its a bad time to mine. Thats not the case. I have found that people are not thinking about different areas. I have hoffed and globaled when people are pissing and moaning "where did all the minerals go" You know what i did.. i went out to find them and i did. I have gone to the most remote of areas and have globaled , and hoffed. I believe that if the system goes too long without finding where the minerals were migrated to . they spawn back in the common areas and you see the flurry of globals.

CND is a hybrid mining setup and has its own rules so never under any circumstances use a CND strategy on calypso.

all of these posts are great +rep

And i promise, once i start mining hardcore, and get my skills up into the hundreds of questions. :)

Thanks for the insight...

+rep

The common ores like Lyst, Belk, Blau live from 100m to 1000m as i have found them at all depths

uncommon like megan, igni, erdorium tend to live from 350m to 900m that i have recorded.

rare minerals like azzur, langotz, kanerium live from 450m to 1000m

extremely rare like gold, tride, xerimite, platinum live from 500-1000m

these are all based on recorded depths i have found at and of course. I did not include them all in here but im sure you get the idea. Now is it possible to only find certain minerals with certain tools? Yes thats true as an of211 will find gold maybe once or twice a month if you are in an area for it. ALthough the availabilty of these ores is so small. Dont expect to just mine for extremely rares.. They will break your bank.

Certain ores tend to live around other ores. e.g. Tridenite has a tendency to live around Blausariam. Rugaritz is often surrounded by Dur, and gazz. This is just based on observations and recorded finds. I cant say this is the way it always is... BUt i would like to think it is so.,

thanks on all the info, +rep

MA is watchingggg muahahaha

+rep bud

no more questions?

There are too many, actually :rolleyes:

1. Do you expect newer finders and newer minerals to extend the limit of 1000 m of depth?

2. Why metallurgy is classified as a mining skill?

3. I heard it is better to use amps only starting from a certain level of skills, even with maxed finders. Is it true, and if yes, what would be your recommendations?

Well that saved me asking a good many questions, what a great post. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience with us all, it must have cost some serious peds in bombs and a great deal of time for you find this all out.

I have a question or two ...pretty common ones I know but I bet you have an opinion ?

1) Amp or no amp generally ?

2) Double bombing (or multi standstill bombing) ?

How do your experiences point you in these ?

+rep of course for the great read and info and kindness sharing it :D

t

There are too many, actually :rolleyes:

1. Do you expect newer finders and newer minerals to extend the limit of 1000 m of depth?

2. Why metallurgy is classified as a mining skill?

3. I heard it is better to use amps only starting from a certain level of skills, even with maxed finders. Is it true, and if yes, what would be your recommendations?

1. Yes i do expect them to change the way we mine.. i cant help but feel that certain finders will be better suited for certain minerals

2. hah funny one but 5 years i have never really crafted at all.. my metallurgy is 26.. dont even bother with it.

3. Amps are a gamble- learn your areas and when they spawn heavy then slap an amp on. Dont explore with amps, dont mine crappy areas with amps.

Well that saved me asking a good many questions, what a great post. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience with us all, it must have cost some serious peds in bombs and a great deal of time for you find this all out.

I have a question or two ...pretty common ones I know but I bet you have an opinion ?

1) Amp or no amp generally ?

2) Double bombing (or multi standstill bombing) ?

How do your experiences point you in these ?

+rep of course for the great read and info and kindness sharing it :D

t

1. see above

2. I always double bombs and keep bombing til you stop hitting. My personal best since the Meteor event is 13 claims from a single standing position, but i expect that from that area. experience helps alot.
oh my personal all time best is 22 claims in one 100m area

man great job there, this confirms a few things I've wonder about. Main one is time, since on weekends I always do alot better.

inherently there is a flaw in this system.. if everyone becomes aware of the "times" to mine then we will see a huge decrease in the good times. You see i do feel that its all a circle. when mining is bad crafters dig into there stocks or storage to craft and this leads to minerals back in the ground. I have this feeling if everyone werre to stop mining when its bad then no ped would go into the loot pool. its a tough thing to figure but i feel the ignorance of new miners leads to the success of Vets.

food for thought.

Great Post. very informative and well thought out.

:D

Huge help! Thought for sure that metallurgy was some sort of skill that would help with rare ores. Guess not. I think they should throw it under construction then. Still just mining part-time but this will be a great help + rep for sure.

it could be possible that metallurgy does play some role in mining .. i just have yet to see it at work.. i have nbever gotten a skill gain raise in metallurgy while mining.

it could be possible that metallurgy does play some role in mining .. i just have yet to see it at work.. i have nbever gotten a skill gain raise in metallurgy while mining.

Well if logic dictated metallurgy would not help in mining but in ore refining.

Perhaps this is what helps determine if your 100% utilizing the refiner properly.

Great Post

Wow. A power house of information.

thanks to u Windswept!

Good luck and +rep.

:)

Nice Thread WS.

I used to mine then chipped it out. Found the search for the invisible a bit too much for me. So concentrated on hunting.

But a couple questions I might ask as this thread is leading me to nibble the bait a little.

1. Do you think bombing and probing together is best or doing just one at a time.

2. What would you consider as a minimum run in bombs or probes to do.

What is "vein" .Everybody talking about "vein"tracking.

What is "vein" .Everybody talking about "vein"tracking.

Well like in your arm a vein goes in along a predetermined route.

Mining has the same thing in real life.

what folks have found in EU is that often times going in the direction of your finds will net you mroe and more finds or less and less. There are many tools that will draw a line along your drops if you track them thus showing what looks to be a vein as you keep wandering say SW and keep getitng hits as you keep walking even if it's every 1000 steps or so.

I havent read all posts here, but i felt that i had to share a experience i had today, on my avatar i got around 3500 prosp 2500 geo 1500 CGA and i need a very large global or hof to break even or profit TT wise normally i return with around 60/80%. I am using OF 105.

Today i tho was allowed to borrow a friends avatar which have 1 in all mining skills, and i returned with 120% TT with TT gear, that is something i experience 1 out of 100 with my own avatar is this just a sudden strike of extreme luck or is there a point being made here ? ( i had no globals !)

Note ofc there is a big difference in minerals being found, as i find alot less lyst on my own avatart but that still doesnt change a run to a profit run....

It made me see tho how alot of new miners start talking about how easy it is to make money mining, but i can say with confidence, just wait and see who pays your finds ;)

I havent read all posts here, but i felt that i had to share a experience i had today, on my avatar i got around 3500 prosp 2500 geo 1500 CGA and i need a very large global or hof to break even or profit TT wise normally i return with around 60/80%. I am using OF 105.

Today i tho was allowed to borrow a friends avatar which have 1 in all mining skills, and i returned with 120% TT with TT gear, that is something i experience 1 out of 100 with my own avatar is this just a sudden strike of extreme luck or is there a point being made here ? ( i had no globals !)

Note ofc there is a big difference in minerals being found, as i find alot less lyst on my own avatart but that still doesnt change a run to a profit run....

It made me see tho how alot of new miners start talking about how easy it is to make money mining, but i can say with confidence, just wait and see who pays your finds ;)

I haven't read all posts here either, just getting up to date from the last to where I left off....but maybe it's worth the time spent going through the whole thread to answer this point a little?

Wind made the point that finders find different things at different depths, and if I understood what he said correctly he meant that finders that find very deep deposits aren't best for finding shallower ones?

If that was the general idea of his advice it would explain quite a lot of people not finding more common ores like lyst with high end gear and skills while newbies do find it more often. It would mean that finding something deep and rare could be followed by a change of finder and something shallow and common could be right above it and still available to be found ?

I read it as choose your finder to suit what is common in the area...I can't really try it too accurately since I don't get really deep yet myself, I'm going to give it a go though, tt finders aren't a big expense and it may be worth it.

t

Back