Would you like to see Day/Night cycles on Calypso

• Total voters

Ido

Stalker
Society
Planet Express
Ido Starlit Sunrider
I Think it was around 2003/2004 when the vote terminals ingame asked the
comunity if they would like to see day night cycles implemented...
As far as i remember the option won the vote but it never came to life

I would like to repeat this question asking the comunity if they would like to
see this feature implemented (wont take much time to do imho i guess MA
just needs a little nudge so lets give them one)

One day on calypso lasts 4h - that much time it takes for the planet to
make one rotation and the orbital period is 1 year and 91 days

--- VOTE --- lets get thousands of votes and show MA we want this...
Tell ur friends to come and vote too !!! We can make it happen

-- PLEASE BE SO KIND AND COMMENT ON YOUR VOTE --

Still waiting for my first Sunset
Ido "Starlit" Sunrider

EDIT:
Here is a quote of a post i made later on in the thread.. the screenshots are from a FPP/TPP game engine i designed with a friend once.. i just wanted to prove a point that

1)its easy to do
2)dosent require much time
3)if i can do it so can MA's coders

Ok Ok

Shunn to all the non-belivers

I have dug out a old version of the project i did mentioned in the post above ... unfortunatly i dont have the final project on this computer and wont bother to try to locate it right now i just want to show u that its doable and dosent reaquire much effort actually ...

So lets see ... first for some dynamic weather...

Rain anyone?
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

And now for a day/sunset/night/sunrise series these are not pimped out as they could be but i think they demonstrate the fact u can actually see at night and u can see that its not really that hard to make light shine from the direction of the sun (sunset slope of hill is lit, sunrise is behind the hill so the slope is shadowed)

dont mind the FPS count since the system wasnt optimized in that version (lots of useless renderings) and bear in mind the night slide can be made brighter by changing one or two integer values that control the light intensity and adding a starry night texture to the sky so it dosent look pitch black :p

Feel free to ask questions if u might have any...

I found this picture in the gallery...

Its Mynx desktop i belive ... the picture shows a night shot of one of the recently popular MMO ...

I think this might convince u Night can be just as bright as day in terms of visibility and gameplay ... but still look like nighttime ...

and there u go i hope noone will say that it will be TOO DARK in the night to play ...

Last edited:
yes YES!

Take of your sunglasses and put up the nightgoggles :cool: :wtg:

I havent voted on this as I would say "maybe". If the cycles are 24 hours it isnt going to work as some people (maybe those in Australia) will be always playing in the dark, assuming they have favourite areas they stick to.

A cycle of say, 11 hours, with 9 in light and 2 in dark would be good.

Anyway, i thought this had been implemented at Jason Centre(?) already?

As Astronomers state planets rotation time is 4h ... meaning day night cycle would last exactly that ... prolly 2h day 2h night or... different depoending on what latitude the continent is located on the planet surface :)

/edit

cant really judge by the shot seen from crystal place since we dont know the orbit trajectory of the space station... but hopefully its around the equator so we will get even night and day :D

ofcourse we want day and night aaaand we also want grey days and sunny days... after all this is a Univers and as far as I know the weather changes a little bit from time to time and it is not day all the time either :yay:

yep weather would be nice too ;) but lets take it one step at a time ...

i know from expirience its not hard to make (how i know this? i did a weather system myself) and for those worried about lag ... no lag included coz its all client side ...

and of course u can turn of weather if ur playing on a slow machine :)

but right now lets focus on the night ... i wonder what constelations u can see from calypso and cant wait to see the moons eclipse!

Ido

:wtg: good idea, I'd say yes, but remeber to include an option to force day time :)

why force daytime ? it would be so cool to hunt at night with only starlight to guide your way (and ur ultra super special night vision guidance system from Omegaton Industires - USSNVGS)

hoffing and globaling, and night hunting would be kick ass, then you would need night vision gogles or even scopes with light attachments :))

i think it will help people feel more immersed :)

Also please feel free to post why or why not the day night cycle should be implemented :) share your opinion :)

:)

I voted yes :)

Any why does MA not make Eudoria as it is, and Ametheria have a day/night cycle? Reasioning could easily be explained, like two sons, or ome funky rotation of the sun thing :D

well the solar system that calypso is located is has 1 sun as far as i know :D why make difference between amertha and eudoria ?

i think it would only add to the realism :) it dosent have to get black dark in the night ... it might just go grayish we have 2 moons so they might iluminate teh night quite nicely :)

Nah....

Why?

Well, usual playingtime for most people is at night, after work/school and such. This would mean that I would be playing in eternal darkness, americans in darkness/sunrise, asians would play during the day and all the fishes swimming around inbetween America and Asia would be the only ones who could enjoy the afternoon....

Just add some dark zones into the game and im happy.

Like i said before twice already i think :D

calypso rotation period is 4h meaning u would see day sunset and sunrise every 2h having 2h of night 2h od day interchanging ..

Ido

yes pls.. would be wonderful, I love the night.. and as lou said, would be so ncie to global or hof in the night :D

Voted yes.

I've seen day / night cycles and different weather in an MMO and its a nice feature - works well.

Voted yes.

I've seen day / night cycles and different weather in an MMO and its a nice feature - works well.

yep.. rain, snow, lightning, thunders... pls MA pls pls pls :)

Like i said before twice already i think :D

calypso rotation period is 4h meaning u would see day sunset and sunrise every 2h having 2h of night 2h od day interchanging ..

Ido

You know what?

I should really start paying more attention to what I read :scratch2:

Happy I didnt throw a vote in the poll already, my new answer is YES :D

Bring on the Night..

Night hunting would be very cool indeed...

But also, night Parties ! With Payn-inc Implanters flickering their eerie glow all around the event, and people dancing with tracers from their fingers from tp chips etc...

:wtg:

Gets my vote... :yay:

Night hunting would be very cool indeed...

But also, night Parties ! With Payn-inc Implanters flickering their eerie glow all around the event, and people dancing with tracers from their fingers from tp chips etc...

:wtg:

Gets my vote... :yay:

now that sounds awesome. night parties! :dance: and night pvp would be amazing. a nightime pvp event would be the greatest. :sniper:

voted yes, but im not desperate for it. its not very high priority to me.

voted yes! with much much glee!

just think we could have specialized nocturnal and diurnal mobs and equipment for hunting each :)

bring on the infrared scopes!

Night time would be awsome for stealth PvP if they would just take those green dots off the radar

Sad to see all the people who post no dont justify their anwser ...

would be nice to know why u guys are against it ?

I think it would just impove the expirience

Ido

i think it will help people feel more immersed :)

Also please feel free to post why or why not the day night cycle should be implemented :) share your opinion :)

Hi,

I have no problems with day/night cycles, if they are on a seperate continent.
Do never change a running system. Stating day/night cycles on Amethera or Eudoria will result in a loss.
I would log out if a night would come and I don't want to be in night. If more people would think like that, that will result in a huge loss for MA and therefore for all of us.

Better would be a complete new continent where day/night cycles are implemented from the start. In that case I can choose if I want to have them simply by changing the continent.

Tanor

It would be much better if they add new planet or moon where is day and night, so Calypso can be as it is for now...:)

How about making day and night and a little switch in client loader that would switch it on and off like the addy or music or wind thing :D

tanor said:
Do never change a running system
erm if u havent noticed every month the running system is changed

How about making day and night and a little switch in client loader that would switch it on and off like the addy or music or wind thing :D

erm if u havent noticed every month the running system is changed

Hi,

Why a switch? If we have night/day cycles I think it should be special. Every night has its dangers. Why should we able to switch them off?
Just imagine you meet someone in PvP. The PKer has night switched off and you not...needless to say who will win in this situation.

We also have PvP3 and PvP4. And we cannot switch the PvP off even if we want. :)

Day and night only as visual would be nice...but why not do more? So many people mentioned mobs that are bound to night or day. Great ideas that should be implemented in my opinion. :)
But please on a new continent.

Imagine sitting on a small hill...watching the sunrising and the first bats comming out to hunt for ignis....and foryou :)

Yes, the running system is changed every month, but not that drastically.

Tanor

then why on a new continent not the whole planet ?

The main idea is to get more immersed into the system... i have a feel a lot of poeple treat the univers as JUST A PLACE TO MAKE MONEY and personlly i really dont like that...

I remember the time when i started playing (the graphics were pretty good back then for the time) and EVERY new day was an adventure exporing meeting people the thrill the excitment ... now after a few years of participating that feeling is gone i know most places so there aint much left to explore and the things that are added are just systems for making more money turnover...

We need day/nigts (ability to SLEEP in the beds we buy) we need weather and a reason to stay in our appartments on a rainy day we need a good system of stamina and food ... i know i wouldnt mind a cold beer on a hot sunny day ...

I think the end user EXPIRIENCE that PE provides compare to what it was offering 4 years ago when i started is way lower... the graphics are seriously not to date with many bugs in lights and models (compare with a new game from EA called Crysis http://www.electronicarts.co.uk/games/8456/Movies/2254/ if PE would offer 1/10 of those visiual effects omg)

we need to be able to immerse ourselves into the universe!
and having the virtual world act at least partialy like the world we know from our own reality would help. Day and night in my oppinion is one of the more important aspects of making the virtual world more real... wouldnt u want it to be more real?

This is a good idea thats been circulating for a looooong time...
I remember voting for it on the Vote terminals, long ago :cool:
With the day and night system should come new spawning times, it would bring new creatures, some creatures that only come out at night, and not in the day. The possibilitys for this concept are vast ;)

It would be much better if they add new planet or moon where is day and night, so Calypso can be as it is for now...:)

Sadley this is not a likely thing to happen for quite some time, as MA havnt even completed our current planet yet :laugh:

Back