Day & Night

Would you like to see Day/Night cycles on Calypso

• Total voters
i voted yes to it.

They can make it in 4hour cycles :D

The game engine does support it, but i think the reason why it never was implemented could be that it will maby but strain on the servers?

then why on a new continent not the whole planet ?

Quite simple. I my opinion the effect on the player base would be bigger than Mindark can handle with. Such a change can have a huge impact!

The main idea is to get more immersed into the system... i have a feel a lot of poeple treat the univers as JUST A PLACE TO MAKE MONEY and personlly i really dont like that...

I'am thinking reality now...you want to change the solar system of Calypso to have day and night? umm....

The Entropia Universe is for me entertainment. And I pay for it because I have also to pay for cinema. And I'am very satisfied with it. Of course there are thinks that can be better...but anyway: I'am really glad Entropia does exist.

I remember the time when i started playing (the graphics were pretty good back then for the time) and EVERY new day was an adventure exporing meeting people the thrill the excitment ... now after a few years of participating that feeling is gone i know most places so there aint much left to explore and the things that are added are just systems for making more money turnover...

A new continent with day/night would be exactly the right thing for you.
Maybe with new mobs, adventures, places to explore. May even a temple for lootius.... :)

We need day/nigts (ability to SLEEP in the beds we buy) we need weather and a reason to stay in our appartments on a rainy day we need a good system of stamina and food ... i know i wouldnt mind a cold beer on a hot sunny day ...

That would be nice. But remember we have a solar system with 2 suns. Day and night cycles are not possible on every latitude of Calypso.

So far we only exlored a small part of Calypso...

Oh...and I hope that beer will come... :yay:

I think the end user EXPIRIENCE that PE provides compare to what it was offering 4 years ago when i started is way lower... the graphics are seriously not to date with many bugs in lights and models (compare with a new game from EA called Crysis http://www.electronicarts.co.uk/games/8456/Movies/2254/ if PE would offer 1/10 of those visiual effects omg)

Effects are not everything. Of course better grafix would be nice, but the game play is still far more important for me.

we need to be able to immerse ourselves into the universe!
and having the virtual world act at least partialy like the world we know from our own reality would help. Day and night in my oppinion is one of the more important aspects of making the virtual world more real... wouldnt u want it to be more real?

More real is nice...but what is real?
We have a solar system with 2 suns. It is definitly possible NOT to have day & night on parts of the planet. Think of the midnight sun on earth (and that with only one sun).

The reality on Calypso is different from the one on Earth.

Weather would bring more reality to Calypso than day and night in my opinion.

Tanor

That would be nice. But remember we have a solar system with 2 suns. Day and night cycles are not possible on every latitude of Calypso.

So far we only exlored a small part of Calypso...

We have a solar system with 2 suns. It is definitly possible NOT to have day & night on parts of the planet. Think of the midnight sun on earth (and that with only one sun).

Where excatly have you recived the information that Calypso has 2 suns ?

If i recall correctly information about planet calypso is as follows:

Mass: 0.48 earth
Diameter: 8836 km
Orbital period: 1y91d
Rotation Period: 4h
dist from the sun 1.16 AU
and 2 moons

This is taken from Sayah Kings Report on Calypso
I think it would mention the distance from the second sun aswell IF we had a second sun which we dont ...

Go ahead and take a trip to the asteroid and look around the night sky ... "if u happen to have a skybug" u will be able to clearly see the whole span of the galaxy around you ...

and there is ONLY ONE sun in the Calypso Solar system.
please feel free to prove me wrong with any evidance of a second sun u might have :D

and if not accept the fact that 4h roation period of the planet on a 1y91d orbit will cause the day and night to change hopefully evenly every 2h ... if it will happen so that Eudoria or amertha would not be located on the equator then we might have seasons and longer day or night depending on which part of the year it is ... or which place in the orbit the planet is located (assuming its rotation axis is tilted)

:D DAY AND NIGHT is the natural way to have it ... so bring it on MA
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Where excatly have you recived the information that Calypso has 2 suns ?
[/COLOR]

umm...imagination? To be honest: I don't know... sorry...

I just found this: http://www.bahq.net/images/maps/solar_system.gif

and if not accept the fact that 4h roation period of the planet on a 1y91d orbit will cause the day and night to change hopefully evenly every 2h ... if it will happen so that Eudoria or amertha would not be located on the equator then we might have seasons and longer day or night depending on which part of the year it is ... or which place in the orbit the planet is located (assuming its rotation axis is tilted)
[/COLOR]

IF the axis is tilted.

My position stands: Leave Eudoria and Amethera as it is: without day/night. :)

Tanor

Crysis is ot even close to MMORPG with RCE as it is a FPS. So you cant really compare. ;)

PEs site already showed 1 or 2 examples of how it would look at night...

...now, if hunting and mining has to be done in night goggle mode then (for 4 hours), it could be annyoing...

...but a big vehicle with huge floodlights.... ;)

Ive seen the planet pics 3 years ago, but Hypnos is huge :O

amazing sunrise/sunset would be nice, but i dont want to struggle in darkness or have to buy (what else would you expect eh?) night vision capacities. Day/night cycles are nice for the robot planet...

Hum... Calypso is tidally locked to its star, and both Amethera and Eudoria happen to be on the sunlit hemisphere... Maybe a bot assault changing the rotation could change this, or some natural occurance the severity of mass volcanic activity, or... we just need to discover a continent on the dark side.:) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_locking)

im not sure BAHQ map is based on official data released by MA and i dont think it should be taken to seriously...

anyway there is no way to have a rotating planet have a place lit constantly by the sun it is rotating around unless the axis of rotation is pointing directly at the sun ...

and im not sure its possible to have a planet doing that basing on my limited astronomical/fisics knowlege (Any astronomers reading this please confirm)

:D anyway lets get a astronomer here to consult MA on their imaginary solar system .... hahaha

come on people !! dont u want to expirience a full 2 moon sun eclipse ! magical ATH things might happen !

Day and night is ok with me, but I rather see an 8 hour cycle. Would be nice if one side of eudoria is day and the other side is evening or somthing, and we could actually see the sun moving. But that wouldnt be realistic.

Hum... Calypso is tidally locked to its star, and both Amethera and Eudoria happen to be on the sunlit hemisphere... Maybe a bot assault changing the rotation could change this, or some natural occurance the severity of mass volcanic activity, or... we just need to discover a continent on the dark side.:) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_locking)

first line i read:
WIKIPEDIA FROM LINK ABOVE said:
Tidal locking makes one side of an astronomical body always face another; for example, one side of the Earth's Moon always faces the Earth. A tidally locked body takes just as long to rotate around its own axis as it does to revolve around its partner.

and as i posted from official MA data about Calypso:
Orbital period: 1y91d
Rotation Period: 4h

Calypso is not Tidaly Locked! :)

i dont want to struggle in darkness or have to buy (what else would you expect eh?) night vision capacities.

If you would look how its implemented in other games ... take for example Lineage 2 .. anyone played ?

it looks very nice bleds easily and dosent really affect gameplay when its night ... the colors just go more graish/bluish but u can stil lsee EVERYTHING perfectly ...

let me find some screenies hold on

first line i read:

and as i posted from official MA data about Calypso:

Calypso is not Tidaly Locked! :)

PWND, true. :laugh:

*Ponders how to defend earlier statement*
Okay, Calypso maybe revolves around the star-Calypso axis, with A and E being on the sunlit hemisphere... Maybe with multiple large enough moons, this could work? I'm neither astrologist, nor physicist... :laugh:

im not sure BAHQ map is based on official data released by MA and i dont think it should be taken to seriously...

anyway there is no way to have a rotating planet have a place lit constantly by the sun it is rotating around unless the axis of rotation is pointing directly at the sun ...

and im not sure its possible to have a planet doing that basing on my limited astronomical/fisics knowlege (Any astronomers reading this please confirm)

I heard that Gliese 581 c is very possibly like that...

Gliese 581 c is the Super Earth in the news lately

:)

ok browse through the player screenshots of Lineage see how night dosent really obstruct much the vision and ability to play everything just goes grayer u still see everything just without much color intensity so it looks like a bright moonlit night ...

http://www.lineage2.com/pds/players.html#t1
for example: Page 5 row 2 pic 3

also check out some of their sunsets :shower:

i dont play Lineage because its pretty shalow... but the graphics are pretty nice and i really enjoyed the day and night changing ... siting on a grassy flowered meadow wathcing the sunrise :D would be so nice...

If we dont get night and day we are all going to DIE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_habitability said:
A planet's movement around its rotational axis must also meet certain criteria if life is to have the opportunity to evolve. A first assumption is that the planet should have moderate seasons. If there is little or no axial tilt (or obliquity) relative to the perpendicular of the ecliptic, seasons will not occur and a main stimulant to biospheric dynamism will disappear. The planet would also be colder than it would be with a significant tilt: when the greatest intensity of radiation is always within a few degrees of the equator, warm weather cannot move poleward and a planet's climate becomes dominated by colder polar weather systems.

If a planet is radically tilted, meanwhile, seasons will be extreme and make it more difficult for a biosphere to achieve homeostasis. Although during the Quaternary higher axial tilt of the Earth coincides with reduced polar ice, warmer temperatures and less seasonal variation, scientists do not know whether this trend would continue indefinitely with further increases in axial tilt (see Snowball Earth).

The exact effects of these changes can only be computer modelled at present, and studies have shown that even extreme tilts of up to 85 degrees do not absolutely preclude life "provided [it] does not occupy continental surfaces plagued seasonally by the highest temperature [16]." Not only the mean axial tilt, but also its variation over time must be considered. The Earth's tilt varies between 21.5 and 24.5 degrees over 41,000 years. A more drastic variation, or a much shorter periodicity, would induce climatic effects such as variations in seasonal severity.

Other orbital considerations include:

The planet should rotate relatively quickly so that the day-night cycle is not overlong. If a day takes years, the temperature differential between the day and night side will be pronounced, and problems similar to those noted with extreme orbital eccentricity will come to the fore.
Change in the direction of the axis rotation (precession) should not be pronounced. In itself, precession need not affect habitability as it changes the direction of the tilt, not its degree. However, precession tends to accentuate variations caused by other orbital deviations; see Milankovitch cycles. Precession on Earth occurs over a 23 000 year cycle.

Ok if anyone is not really interested in reading this piece what it generaly is that if a planets rotation axis tilt would be very high like 80deg or so (required to have a part of the planet constantly exposed to sunlight ... the influence of the sune energy would make the part of the planet INHABITABLE!!! no life would evolve due to too high energy (no cooling off at night)

SO we better get some nightime OR WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE !!!
buahahahaahha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

:D anyway lets get a astronomer here to consult MA on their imaginary solar system .... hahaha

The earth's axis is slightly tilded, causing polar day/night. It could be possible that the axe of a planet is indeed pointing to it's star - though that wont be 'forever'.

We have in our solar system a prime example of a planet that has this behaviour: Uranus

wikipedia said:
One of the most distinctive features of Uranus is its axial tilt of ninety-eight degrees. Consequently, for part of its orbit one pole faces the Sun continually while the other pole faces away. At the other side of Uranus's orbit the orientation of the poles towards the Sun is reversed. This gives each pole 42 years of continuous sunlight, followed by 42 years of darkness. Between these two extremes of its orbit, particularly at the equinoxes, the Sun rises and sets around the equator normally. Uranus will reach its next equinox around December 2007, and not again until 2049.

So, assuming that Calypso's axis is tilded 90 degrees exactly, we could expect days (and nights) of 0.96 Earth years at the poles, and regular day/night cycles of 4 hours around the equator.

Would IMO be pretty exciting if MA implements it this way! :yay:

[on topic]
As long as it's not too dark during the nights to play it's fine to me. (Note that it shouldnt be too bright during the days... knowing MA they could very well make it light during night and extremely light during days :rolleyes: )

Personally, i feel that, if MA reacts on this, their reaction will be that the atmosphere of Calypso blurs the light in such a way that it's equally bright over the whole planet :laugh:

dolera said:
So, assuming that Calypso's axis is tilded 90 degrees exactly...

Is it getting hot on Eudoria is it just me ... ? :scratch2:

Is it getting hot on Eudoria is it just me ... ? :scratch2:

not as worse as planet earth :( We should investigate the athmosphere of Calypso, it seems that in the higher regions, there are some strange gasses which refract the light such that the climate is very moderate, even during the long day.

If 'they', on planet earth, could change their atmoshpere a bit, it could cool down the good old earth, i hope. Maybe they should start reducing the CO2 emission for a start :laugh:

about the night thing.....

it doesnt have to be pitch black night :D just a bit darker will do, but where you are still able to see whats going on :) Have any of u ever played Morrowind? (the EU engine is a tweaked version of the Morrowind engine) they can make the night time like that.....

about the night thing.....

it doesnt have to be pitch black night :D just a bit darker will do, but where you are still able to see whats going on :) Have any of u ever played Morrowind? (the EU engine is a tweaked version of the Morrowind engine) they can make the night time like that.....

now that u mention, we could have something similar to the "pitch black" movie.. terrible creatures going out in the night only, doing high dmg :vampire: (not in all the places tho) :laugh: ok ok bad idea i know :D

ohh and yes i do plan to take the results of this poll to MA and try to convince them to carry this idea out if it turns out the community wants it :)

i know i want it :D so pelase vote and tell ur friends to vote too

i honestly would love to have this feature as well, but i'm not sure that the servers could handle the added strain of constant calculation of the correct shadow angles.

as much as i do want it... i'm not sure the game is ready to handle it yet. of course i'm probably wrong... anyone know if this calculation would be handled server side or client side?

It would be handled client side of course server already tell sthe client what time it is so no added strain on the server side for this

now that u mention, we could have something similar to the "pitch black" movie.. terrible creatures going out in the night only, doing high dmg :vampire: (not in all the places tho) :laugh: ok ok bad idea i know :D

That could work.... the monster can carry u away to some far off place.... (like a PvP zone) or something :D

I can see random spawns of monsters and n00bs running to Turrets already :) (of course ill make sure the turret is save for the n00bs....)

It would make the land grab awesome if its all at night with stealthy gun fights :D

I say yes, They should tie it to the country you've selected when you made your account though.... For example if you've selected australia, it would default to GMT+8 to 10, etc...

Cast your votes people :)

200 and i take it to MA ! :D

we have 111 sofar

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

It would make the land grab awesome if its all at night with stealthy gun fights :D

this feature would annoy me ;) i'd just turn the gamma up :silly2:

I understand some people are worried that their gameplay would suffer from being left in total darkness...

but i would like to assure you IT IS POSSIBLE to make NightTime that would NOT obscure your vission or make it harder to spot mobs etc...

It has been done in other MMORPG why should our be supperior?

If we make the system more appealing it would attract more people...

Sorry to sound like breaking the fun.. but as the game is done, they won't be able to handle daylight/sunlight.
Parts of the liths and shadows are rendered serverside, so they would have to change the lighting system... and that would make the game even slower :(.

Back