Scamming Methods Exposed

(example paypal scam[never use paypal in entropia, NEVER !!!], or the trade-window-remoove scam)
I've ben playing six years and never heard of the Paypal scam. I didn't even know it was possible to use Paypal in EU, TBH. Would appreciate details of how this one works, please.

best example here is : reseller stay nearby auction and is shouting for a item to buy for e.g. 105% during he can fill order straight on for 110%.
peple which figures this out later feel indeed "scammed". i would say this bastard is scammer aswell ^^
but in the end its here compared to the real scam really a fault of the seller.
Gotta disagree here. Resellers will often buy stuff in very small quantities. Given the 50 pec minimum auction fee, the only realistic alternative to re-seller, in these cases, is Trade Terminal... which gives no mark-up at all! I'm no fan of re-sellers, but to be fair, they can and often do provide a useful service to newbies.

jay :)

I've ben playing six years and never heard of the Paypal scam. I didn't even know it was possible to use Paypal in EU, TBH. Would appreciate details of how this one works, please.

Gotta disagree here. Resellers will often buy stuff in very small quantities. Given the 50 pec minimum auction fee, the only realistic alternative to re-seller, in these cases, is Trade Terminal... which gives no mark-up at all! I'm no fan of re-sellers, but to be fair, they can and often do provide a useful service to newbies.

jay :)[/QUOTE]

you not use paypal directly ingame.
you can remoove in paypal your money within 2 weeks. you cant do anything then anymore.
MA says they are not responsible because you used a not depending service (service).
many people have been scammed in entropia via paypal already.
so only trade items for ped. MA only gives a warranty for the own implemented game mechnics !

to your second paragraph i have to say : "says one of the most famous auction resellers" :D

to your second paragraph i have to say : "says one of the most famous auction resellers" :D

Huh? i think you must have me mixed up with somebody. Almost everything I place auction is my own loot, own crafted items or items that I've customised. I sometimes wind up re-selling stuff i bought too much of, just don't want anymore, or what-have-you like anybody else, and certainly not often enough to be notable for it.

so, umm, what is it i'm supposed to be re-selling? (curious)

re

Sorry, just read the first pages.

Just to know : Is it possible to go to police for a scamm or something like that? If someone steal you something like 50K peds in PEDS or ITEMS. Is that possible?

Thanks for answer (sorry for my english)

re

For Jaywalker :

The paypal scam is the fact to ask someone his/her peds against euros/dolls/pounds etc... on his/her paypal. Some people do that without being scammer but some others, are scammer and won't give u any peds/money.

For Jaywalker :

The paypal scam is the fact to ask someone his/her peds against euros/dolls/pounds etc... on his/her paypal. Some people do that without being scammer but some others, are scammer and won't give u any peds/money.

Very foolish thing to agree to!
1) the potential for scamming is obvious
2) It's against the ToU, and you can get your account locked for it
3) The reason why it's against the ToU is that people who engage in extra-game transactions are often involved in credit card fraud or similar. Think! If they are not scamming you, they might still be defrauding someone else, bigtime.

Don't even think of doing this!

Last edited:
Sorry, just read the first pages.

Just to know : Is it possible to go to police for a scamm or something like that? If someone steal you something like 50K peds in PEDS or ITEMS. Is that possible?

Thanks for answer (sorry for my english)

My understanding is that you would have to go to the division of law enforcement responsible for cyber crimes. In most countries this is probably a national organization, rather than the local police. In the case that the alleged scammer is in a different country, it gets very complicated, and I don't think there's ever been an international case from EU resolved.

MA says that they will "cooperate fully with law enforcement officials", but they will not take action themselves in most cases.

The problem is that the things normally admissable as evidence for proving ownership and contracting exchange of property are not really available for items in EU, so it becomes a "he said, she said" kind of thing.

A basic book on game theory should do the trick :)

Just be nice to everyone, but assume everyone is trying to scam you :)

Well in so much as cybercrime is concerned, the space pvp is a big issue; it is basically promoting racketeering; all it is going to take is some player who is a big name lawyer playing casually and getting hit by a pirate for Mindark to find themself in court over it. If it was any other game where real money wasn't involved fair enough; but as it is now, its basically theft plain and simple. They should implement some sort of special "generated" loot something sellable to keep PVP realistic; combat tokens or bonus skill or such, and perhaps a percentage of the carried loot, instead of all of it. The loot calculations should be based on amount of damage exchanged much like normal PvE team loot does now. So there is an incentive to shoot back to save some of your loot etc - and discourage piracy (and the appeal to criminal organizations being attracted to the game)

Also as someone who is trying to make a space police force (which is the type of player activity that should be regulating/offsetting the piracy (ie strategic fun gameplay)) the most obvious thing that makes it appear Mindark fully supports criminal activity is the simply stupid amount of burn (ammo cost) space combat consumes. They really need lower level guns so players can work their skill up.

Not to mention; realistically, space PVP is like getting a global or HOF non-stop. All a pirate needs to do is work out what times the big traders go to pick up their supplies; and every kill is a non-advertised HOF. How exactly is that fair on the other players? That loot isn't going up for sale, and what is, has higher markup.

Mindark is already red flagged as a company that makes money laundering possible by criminals, they don't need to actively support criminal type behavior.

--
In so much as scams go, I had a player offer to pay me XX ped a week using some unspecified way to make money; if i paid them xx peds up front. It is entirely possible they do have a way to make ped, but i wasn't about to take that gamble - even if it pays off, if its an exploit i dont want to risk my account, and if it isnt real, a soc mate would have scammed me. It was safer to politely decline and stay friends. (In any event I have my own soc now)

I've also had something close to a scam where you sell sweat, and the amount they pay is much lower than it should have been - bordering on the pec instead of ped scam. How i reacted was when i /needed/ sweat next time, I paid a noob full price for it, and suggested he try using the money to buy sweat at lower prices from noob farms, and resell it at full price to players who are willing to pay full price. This is basic trade practice, but many people consider buying low and selling high a scam. Many schools must suck at teaching economics!

I suspect I was recently a victim of a two avatar scam at an Auction recently. Luckily i pulled out - me and another player were trying to buy an apartment; between us we got the bids to about 600 before i gave up. It became a bid war between him and a female AVA - who another player "claims" was a player who trades real estate. I said there is something odd going on here, but he said now its personal and kept bidding. Well the "estate trader" either really sucked at buying real estate - or they were an alt account of the seller - as bids rose well over market price (something like 850) when the "estate trader" stopped bidding and allowed the other player to win. On my next trip to caly I picked up an apartment on auction for 600ped buy out.

To me that looked very suspicious and my fellow bidder should perhaps consider a support case to investigate the so called "real estate trading player" driving the bids up - and examine login IP's.

Last edited:
Mindark is already red flagged as a company that makes money laundering possible by criminals, they don't need to actively support criminal type behavior.

Citation needed. By whom? You?

The rules of space are clear. Either accept them or don't go to space.

If it was any other game where real money wasn't involved fair enough; but as it is now, its basically theft plain and simple.

A problem with lootable pvp, is if there is any possibility to cheat, the people whos philosophy is "my reputation is PED earning" won't think twice about using any advantages, fair or not.

For instance, if everyone is supposed to move at same speed, but some pirates are able to move way faster than the victim. Or if the pirate, or an avatar controlled by the pirate, have access to radar while victim doesn't. Or if pirate has access to multiple avatars, let's say one scout at a strategic location, and the real pirate who can use the scout to find out in what direction to go.

Now I think those two are fixed. But, for instance, we never saw any official statement from MA when they fixed the radar bug.

Last edited:
I've ben playing six years and never heard of the Paypal scam.

There are two kinds of paypal scams.

First the obvious:
You're buying a gun from someone who wants to be paid with paypal. They say they want the money in advance, so they know the payment will get through they say.
... You transfer the money using paypal, and the gun seller never logs in again. If gun was sold by a well known high level avatar, the avatar could have been sold to someone else IRL as a "skill bulk sale".

Second one is less obvious:
You're selling a gun to someone. They transfer money to you. You hand over the gun. Next day, the gun buyer requests that Paybal cancels the transfer, and the money you thought you had is taken back. This has happened in the past, with someone selling a hangar (say 30k:ish ped value) and lost it to a scammer. As far as I know, MA didn't do anything - for them it was a straight trade, avatar A gave avatar B hangar deed in a trade window and other half was empty.

The only way to do a safe trade is to use the ingame trade window, and check the receipt window carefully before accepting. (There was a bug with "false PEDs" a couple of years ago but that one should be fixed.)

There are two kinds of paypal scams.

First the obvious:
You're buying a gun from someone who wants to be paid with paypal. They say they want the money in advance, so they know the payment will get through they say.
... You transfer the money using paypal, and the gun seller never logs in again. If gun was sold by a well known high level avatar, the avatar could have been sold to someone else IRL as a "skill bulk sale".

Second one is less obvious:
You're selling a gun to someone. They transfer money to you. You hand over the gun. Next day, the gun buyer requests that Paybal cancels the transfer, and the money you thought you had is taken back. This has happened in the past, with someone selling a hangar (say 30k:ish ped value) and lost it to a scammer. As far as I know, MA didn't do anything - for them it was a straight trade, avatar A gave avatar B hangar deed in a trade window and other half was empty.

The only way to do a safe trade is to use the ingame trade window, and check the receipt window carefully before accepting. (There was a bug with "false PEDs" a couple of years ago but that one should be fixed.)

I think it's illegal to trade items like that. (not using the withdrawal function)

Oh how I hate the people who join a Society being a noobie, take from the kind people who are generous with helping newbies then leaves Society to do it to another Society,

If you want the name of this turd PM me..............

Saying SGA = Skill Gain Advantage

Someone tried that on me yesterday lol.

bah...it's legal but risky

It is illegal as it is bank fraud. Often never is punished and thus why people do it as often as they do. Same is true for credit card charge backs under false pretenses.

Saying SGA = Skill Gain Advantage

Someone tried that on me yesterday lol.

does that mean that TEN edition items have ten times the skill gain advantage? :dunce:

does that mean that TEN edition items have ten times the skill gain advantage? :dunce:

Nah...its worse than that....

TEN = Ten Enhancers Needed

You'll need all enhancers from I to X to use it. :silly2:

(Disclaimer: I'm joking of course.)

No, that means "Terrible Efficiency Now" which allows the price to drop due to the amount of money you spend on an item.

Now buying all TEN items for 1 PED each. :)

Thanks for the thread; learning a lot still, and continuing to learn more and more. I bet fraudsters, scammers, deceivers, and wut not who are out there that have not been exposed (yet) or any potential wanna-bees of like read this thread in order to not apply these tactics. Just remember, "what goes around comes around"(Karma baby). SGA stands for Second Golden Age edition btw ^. (Ethics and moral compass are always in need in-game and irl).

Regards,
Vi

Just remember, "what goes around comes around"(Karma baby). SGA stands for Second Golden Age edition btw ^. (Ethics and moral compass are always in need in-game and irl).

Regards,
Vi

I find it extremely funny that he is posting in this thread actually. The epitome of hypocrisy right there.

theunicate, a.k.a the "Skill Gain Advantage" guy :=)

I find it extremely funny that he is posting in this thread actually. The epitome of hypocrisy right there.

theunicate, a.k.a the "Skill Gain Advantage" guy :=)

Kinda figured. But that's how people are. It's a sad fact of life.

what happened

I recently got a robot beacon. I had no idea what it was my mentor explained it to me and offered to take me on the mission. we did the mission and at the end I received absolutely no loot. was it because I didn't understand the looting system I did far less damage than my mentor and his friend. or was it beause like he said we couldn't find any crates? idk if I was scammed or if their was a bug in the mission.

I recently got a robot beacon. I had no idea what it was my mentor explained it to me and offered to take me on the mission. we did the mission and at the end I received absolutely no loot. was it because I didn't understand the looting system I did far less damage than my mentor and his friend. or was it beause like he said we couldn't find any crates? idk if I was scammed or if their was a bug in the mission.

The boxes are easy to spot and scattered all over, if you actually ran the beacon with them to confirm it was used. A good mentor would have pointed out the boxes and showed you where to go to loot. You get NO loot from bots and you can't loot the boxes until the boss is dead and your start the death timer. I would say they left you out to dry and kept the loot for themselves.

The boxes are easy to spot and scattered all over, if you actually ran the beacon with them to confirm it was used. A good mentor would have pointed out the boxes and showed you where to go to loot. You get NO loot from bots and you can't loot the boxes until the boss is dead and your start the death timer. I would say they left you out to dry and kept the loot for themselves.

I agree with Wildman; the lows people are willing to go to for a few $$ never ceases to amaze me.

Back