Scamming Methods Exposed

Hi.

I not know if this was a scam, but atm i think yes. In PA, a gamer with OJ and a colour tool in hand chat me and say they are making skills in colouring and if i want pass him my grey shirt and pants for try colouring. They say offer me some waranty (peds) for return my grey robes, but i say no.

Another. I do not know if something passed o no. This was in Camp Swamp. An OJ say in local chat he is noob, hi not know how to sweat, not know nothing. Between all in chat hi know how sweat, and very, vey little time he offer sell about 150 sweat. I say yes and say him how calculate the price.

Then i see 3 boxes in trade window, mine, down, where i must enter the money, up, with total amount sweat in trade, and medium, with a little less sweat and image bottles. I say confirm but atm i do not know if always in all trades there is 2 or 3 boxes in trade windows. I will see in next trade. Perhaps this noob quite some sweat in last moment?

I note all "rare thing" pass me in PA or next, i think scammers not make TP's run.

Greetings. Milesio.

Not sure if all would consider this a scam or not, since you do not deal with the person directly, but I think any new player in the game should be aware of the selling of broken items in auction.

I have had this happen because I was in a hurry to find a h400 with low tt for a quick soc hunt. Scrolled though the lists of pistols and found a h400 with 34 or 35 tt value at a buyout of 160% which was perfect for what I was looking for. After I got to the meeting point I noticed that the h400 was actually a adjusted h400 and was broken. I wrote off the markup as a lose for me for not checking the 3% rule before I placed a bid. Now this was just over 17ped I lost and can live with that as a reminder to check for anything else I place a bid on.

I was looking though the ore finders this morning and found a tk320 that just looked funny. It was just below the 3% and broken, but the person still put it on auction with a start bid of 100ped and a buyout of just over 1600% or 150ped. This for a item that will have to be resold, or tt'd for 9.32. I would figure anyone that has the skills enough to use this finder will know to check the 3% of the tt value to make sure that it is still working before they pay for it, which means the person that put it up on the auction will just be wasting the auction fee's.

SpikE

Watch out with claiming scams though..

I traded yesterday and when i looked in my inventory it was reacting delayed. I could not find the item i received in the trade. When I relogged it was there... Its tempting to immediately claim a scam but sometimes its just your inventory thats malfunctioning..

eagle

"The greatest achievement the devil ever did, was to convince people that he doesn't excist..."

I have to comment this Superhal.
What you're talking about are small time hustlers, and they are out there too - true. But there are undeniably very well organized scammers out there, and they are anything but stupid. The good scammer gains your trust, he plays on your own greed and vanity, he knows when to quit, and that a pawn sacrifice in fact leads to a bigger loot in the end. He makes you think you came up with the idea - he may even seem reluctant to the deal. The skilled scammer is very hard to spot at first glance - numerous people trough out history have found them self standing in total surprise with all their things gone, asking themselves: How did this happen? How could I be so stupid..?! The truth is that they weren't, it was just the scammer who was smarter.
A good scammer is like a fisherman - he throws out some bread to attract the fish, then he trows out the lure to see if any one nibbles the hook. Then he waits, because like any good fisherman he knows; it takes time to swallow the bait... And he never loose a fish because of impatience.

Please, don't kid yourself in thinking you will out smart any scammer you meet, because you won't.
And they are not worth pity. They will without hesitation rob you of everything you own. These guys are common thieves - nothing else.

If your not sure - don't make the deal.
If you suspect a scam, take screen shots and preferably one with the avatar scanned.
Always note avatar name, time and place if a scam occur. Press C and P on the keyboard and you get time and position visible in the chat.

Do what you can, and use your common sense - but don't let the devil convince you that he doesn't exist.

Pepper what you said is bang on, I totally agree. I know of someone who actually knew someone for well over one year on PE they had access to each others accounts, they spoke on the phone in RL really got to know each other and after a year down the line (After the scammer had possibily helped the friend out with lots of peds in the past) I believe at least a couple of thousand ped was stolen by the scammer(This was a while ago)

[Great analogys also pepper!]

By the way Im not disagreeing with the guy who describes the stupid scammer or the person who makes out they made a geniune mistake in trade(I went nuts at someone a while back for trying to diddle me in a trade and failed , they then started an argument when I let people know what they had attempted - this is another variation of common trust scams) after you catch them out I just believe there are scammers at all lvls.

Not sure if all would consider this a scam or not, since you do not deal with the person directly, but I think any new player in the game should be aware of the selling of broken items in auction.

Yeah I would class that as a scam and also you get people selling solomate opolas for tt+100 or 1000 I have seen this before, maybe people will argue thats the market but in RL a company doing the equivalent to that would suffer severe consequances!

A small but annoying scam that I fell for ...lending someone a basic cheap item. Repairing my implant a guy says "I wish I could use my focus chip, my implant is broken though and I can't afford the tool to get it out and put it back, I only sweat and it's hard without focus " so feeling sorry and a little selfish waving the tool in his face I offer to let him use it before I feed it back to the tt. What's 4 ped when you had a little luck I thought? Of course he's sweetness and "ty ty ty" and then jumps into the TP with it never to be seen again.

Timmers m8 that doesnt make you wrong in fact you are the better person, I wish more players were helpful adopting the sharing philosophy when affordable , if everyone just contributed a tiny amount of there cash to helping out PE would be a great place.........When I have helped people out the way I work is I never ever give to a beggar, that is my pet hate. I might go grouping with someone for a few month and if we become friends who are both self sufficient I may offer to help them. This makes me suseptible to the trust scam yes but trying to aspire to be a good person doesnt make you stupid. I honestly believe EVERYONE is susceptible to scams no matter how safe they play(The best we can hope for is minimising the risk) scammers will find a way at least some of the time so this is a good place to get users more vigilant. Still though people should be trying to form groups with genuine people!

... they (Scammers) are not worth pity. They will without hesitation rob you of everything you own. These guys are common thieves - nothing else.

I concur with that - don't pitty the scammers, they are just common thieves (or worse, because a thief at least does not pretend to be something which he/she is not).

Scammer acquires your trust - then betrays you.

They are the scum of the society.

Hence they should be called Scummer !!! :laugh:

I'd rather lose 1000$ than the faith in someone I trusted. That theft of confidence and all that it brings in destruction of feelings and general mistrust, is a lot worse than the actual money loss. I'm playing this game foremost because I think it's fun. I want it to be funny, not a place where I constantly have to be on my guard against complete assholes and thieves. It's enough of them in the real world to deal with.

That speaks from my heart Pepper. :yup:

btw: I'm not sure if this belongs to the n00bs Corner Neomaven. Everybody is equally prone to being scammed, n00bies, Matures or Ubers. Only you have to use more sophisticated tactics on the latter. Better place will be perhaps Technical/Security subforum or Sticky Threads section as you suggested first.

Last edited:
simple rule dont be stupid enough to give them stuff any one safest way

btw: I'm not sure if this belongs to the n00bs Corner Neomaven. Everybody is equally prone to being scammed, n00bies,

Yes definately, the fact you have played the game alot and realise this makes you less susceptible. EVeryone is indeed at risk of being scammed , I think many think that all scams are blatently obvious which isnt always the case. Anyways I will leave the thread now to allow people to post scam info but nice topic!

Second we had as a soc. where a person in soc ask for about everything from armor, guns peds ect till next monday till she deposit. she wasnt bran new to the soc either so a bit of a thrust scam going on there to. but anyway she got two people with the deposit thing and she never did and by now she got another soc the same way.

PS: we tried warning the soc she joined but couldnt find them.......

interesting i think this ava tried to get in our society aswell ...we like to meet with prospective members and chat ...try to get a feel for them was only about 10 minutes before the ava was telling us their intent to depo and wondered if we could loan them guns armor and ped LOL , after our chat with this ava all 5 society members present choose not to let them join !

interesting i think this ava tried to get in our society aswell ...we like to meet with prospective members and chat ...try to get a feel for them was only about 10 minutes before the ava was telling us their intent to depo and wondered if we could loan them guns armor and ped LOL , after our chat with this ava all 5 society members present choose not to let them join !

Let me guess. You all five are male (and I don't mean the Avi's), and this avi is a sexy looking female.
:laugh::laugh:

Happened to me once, while i was street selling an item in Port Atlantis:

An avatar approaches me and agrees to the price i was asking for my item, a Kobold thighs (M), if i recall it correctly. In the trade window he place the amount i asked and all seemed ok... except that in the receipt i noticed the payment had been made in 'PECs' not in 'Peds'! I failed to realize that the coins placed in the window were Grey and not Golden! The receipt screen saved me that time, but if i was in a hurry to do the trade, he would have got me!

Just a reminder once more, check the receipt, and take your time!
You're not gaining skills by clicking the "Ok" button as fast as you can! :silly2:

My only point was that technicaly MA owns everything we call ours, As it says inthe EULA even or avatars belong to MA. So if one avatar (owned by MA) cons another avatar (also owned my MA) out of something. Technicaly MA is still in posession of the items that MA already owned. RL authorities have nothing they can prosecute for.

It is something to think about before lending and item you value to anyone.

well to ad alittle on the one scamming soc if i dont remember wrong she didnt ask for this straight away. but it made our soc think alittle about how we get people in soc....

well if u trust anyone one in a game over the net sorry but ur idiots you have no guilt from scamming over net infact most scammers have been sucsesful with geting more than one person at one time. The worst scams are trust and ones when it is an ubber with money who missleads all to help him then he scamms all through trade then there nuthing anyone can do about it as you gave it to him all trades are finel this is some where in eula. and normaly what ma says

well if u trust anyone one in a game over the net sorry but ur idiots you have no guilt from scamming over net

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77701&highlight=trust
thread - Do you trust the people in your soc?

seems this thread and the thread i mention need to chat a bit. in this thread every one is like 'don't trust anyone, and if you do you are stupid' and in the other thread everyone is 'of course i trust everyone in my soc'

both can't be right :)

i trust those that deserve trust and NEVER trade anything to someone i don't trust 100% without collatoral.

lol i scammed some one and regreted it but not every one will give it back or undo what has happend as you can get away with it to easly easy money
im a child and i worked that out fairly quick but after talking to lee i changed my mind and paid back but not many people care about fealings and how they get the money u could go to work one day or u can scam some one of 100k if ur good at lieing. i can see why people would do it so i just say for ur own sake do not trust anyone in game unless u meet inrl and friends in rl now*

Here's a couple small time hunting scams:
1. Person sets up a team and you join. You go off hunting and realize they are getting all the loot.
-Usually doesn't last long if you pay attention. Always check the Team setup when you join a team and make sure you are OK with the rules.
2. You go out hunting with someone and you are both carrying medium/big guns. All of a sudden you realize they are doing no damage and using an Opalo.

As for friends/trust scams they suck. I once trusted someone. She was a trader in the society I had just joined, ranked higher then I did so I figured she'd been there a while. We hunted together off and on for a couple weeks. I hit a HOF one day and a few days later she made a deal with me. I loan her some ped and she'd cut me in for the profit. By the time I realized what happened I was out 1400 ped. Quit for 3-4 months over that. So my rule is don't loan anything to any one you don't mind never seeing again. If you get it back be amazed.

lol i scammed some one and regreted it but not every one will give it back or undo what has happend as you can get away with it to easly easy money
im a child and i worked that out fairly quick (blah blah blah)

seems the title of the thread has been true. in case you missed it . . .

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=778490&postcount=54
NEVERLIE IS NOT BANED AS I AM HER !!! SORRY!!!
(blah, blah, blah)
I RIDDICK IS NEVERLIE tbh i did make a new acount but there is no fucking point look I AM NEVERLIE NOT THIS person i admit it !!

so not all scammers are evil. just sometimes stupid. neverlie is a pretty unliked name to some after the scam.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77701&highlight=trust
thread - Do you trust the people in your soc?

seems this thread and the thread i mention need to chat a bit. in this thread every one is like 'don't trust anyone, and if you do you are stupid' and in the other thread everyone is 'of course i trust everyone in my soc'

both can't be right :)

Ah, but they can. The context of that other thread is fairly specific.
And to clarifiy, I trust the people in my SOC, within the game. There is nothing I have in EU that I would not readily share with my soc mates and a select few outside the SOC.
On the other hand, were I to do anything stupid to test that trust? To test the friendships we have? Probably not. Would I ask them to do anything to test that trust, and friendship? Probably not.

i trust those that deserve trust and NEVER trade anything to someone i don't trust 100% without collatoral.

I go back to what I said in another post.
You should never loan anything to anybody that you would not be willing to simply give them. That, after all, is what a loan is. You give something away, but you retain an expectation that they will give/pay it back. If you do that often enough, you are bound to find those who will fail to meet your expectations. Fact of life.

Here's a couple small time hunting scams:
1. Person sets up a team and you join. You go off hunting and realize they are getting all the loot.
-Usually doesn't last long if you pay attention. Always check the Team setup when you join a team and make sure you are OK with the rules.
2. You go out hunting with someone and you are both carrying medium/big guns. All of a sudden you realize they are doing no damage and using an Opalo.

This is actually not a scam, especially since you're getting a head-up by MA to check the rules of distribution for a Team when you join. It may be an exploitation of peoples trust, or simple laziness, but there's a limit to pampering too. ;)

Let me guess. You all five are male (and I don't mean the Avi's), and this avi is a sexy looking female.
:laugh::laugh:

lol no actually my wife to be is also in my soceity and she was one of the members present

Trust scam.... They are so bad. And the worst is when that person is someone you've meet in real life. It happened to me. But I will go to the police. I had some personal stuff that kept me from going sooner, but at most next week I will report it. I am not sure what charges should be made in such a case. Anyway, unfortunatley, as far as I know, are only minor charges. Not as bad as robbery, even if it is just as bad.

this game is being ruined for me.i only play now because iv invested money into it.
my soc has been hit with 3 scammer atemps this week.
iv had someone on my fl who tried to scam me.
almost on a daily basis i experince some kind of scam attemt.
im gunna give this game 1 more month ("with no depos") if it dosnt improve im off to lotro for good.

this post belongs in noob coz thats who they target the most

this game is being ruined for me.i only play now because iv invested money into it.
my soc has been hit with 3 scammer atemps this week.
iv had someone on my fl who tried to scam me.
almost on a daily basis i experince some kind of scam attemt.
im gunna give this game 1 more month ("with no depos") if it dosnt improve im off to lotro for good.

this post belongs in noob coz thats who they target the most

It's true scammers are a nuisance, because they waste your time.

And if they catch you, then it's worse, because you're down peds, although if it's a genuine scam, imo you should report them to MA support, with screenshots.

But this is just a reason to be on your guard.

However, you shouldn't let it spoil your game. If you find people are attempting to scam you a lot, don't frequent those areas. If someone on your FL tries to scam you, query it, and if it's not just ignorance remove them.

If you rush around PA accepting random requests for private trade, then you are likely to be an easier target, but that's not playing, that's rushing around PA accepting trade requests.

In all honesty, while it's deplorable that scammers exist, most of the scams they try are easy to spot, and easily avoided. Probably the only one you can't readily defend against is if the senior members of your soc or your mentor abuses your trust and scams you.

But still, building up knowledge of the game can help against this kind of thing. And frankly if a soc member, or worse, a mentor tried, say, the armour upgrade scam on a newbie they should be reported. The chat log at MA would clearly show what they had done.

I don't know what the 3 scam attempts you mention were...and given that this thread is about educating people about how not to be scammed, maybe you should say what they were, but they were attempts, not successes. You foiled them, they wasted their time on you and failed. Good for you.

See it as another defeat for the scammers, and carry on playing - don't let their petty behaviour ruin your enjoyment.

LOTTERY
20 PED PER TICKET
WINNER TAKE ALL
-=THIS IS NOT A SCAM=-
LOTTERY
20 PED PER TICKET
WINNER TAKE ALL
-=THIS IS NOT A SCAM=-
LOTTERY
20 PED PER TICKET
WINNER TAKE ALL
-=THIS IS NOT A SCAM=-
*spam spam spam*

This is a surprisingly common scam. But it's actually more than that, it's a direct violation of the EULA simply because it's against Swedish law.

If you see people doing this
  • take a screenie
  • make a support case in Abuse
  • send the screenie to: MA abuse@mindark.com and mark it with the same number as your support case.
  • If you got the full name of the avatar, time and place it's even better.

I saw the funniest scams last night in PA.

Scam #1;

"ATTENTION NEWBS........ I have a MAGIC unDOUBLING SCRIPT..... This awesome magic script will unDOUBLE your money by at least 50%. THIS IS A LIMITED TIME OFFER TO NEWBS ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!"

Basically, you give him your money and he takes at least half and gives you what is left, if anything. He spammed it so fast that it was extremely hard to read the whole thing properly.

Scam #2;

I got a PM and the guy asked it I wanted to buy some pants. I told him NO, that I already had some. Then he asked if I wanted to trade my 7 ped pants for his 100 ped blue pants.

I was curious on what the scam was, so I said YES.

Anyway, so he brings up the trade window and tells me to put my pants in the trade window, so I do. Then he puts in OJ pants. When I questioned him about it, he claimed that it was a glitch in the game's trade window, but they were really worth 100 ped and would be blue once I got them in my inventory.

Of course when I refused the trade I got called several not so nice names.

It's true scammers are a nuisance, because they waste your time.

And if they catch you, then it's worse, because you're down peds, although if it's a genuine scam, imo you should report them to MA support, with screenshots.

But this is just a reason to be on your guard.

In all honesty, while it's deplorable that scammers exist, most of the scams they try are easy to spot, and easily avoided. Probably the only one you can't readily defend against is if the senior members of your soc or your mentor abuses your trust and scams you.

But still, building up knowledge of the game can help against this kind of thing. And frankly if a soc member, or worse, a mentor tried, say, the armour upgrade scam on a newbie they should be reported. The chat log at MA would clearly show what they had done.

MA doesn't care about scams unless they break the EULA or some other official rule.

There are plenty of posts floating around here with responses from MA support on this issue saying "next time be more careful" and "all PvP transactions are final".

Last edited:
Back