Scamming Methods Exposed

just wanted to post this here warning people about a site that is being advertised ingame...

someone is advertising a hof finder at this url..

http://hoffinder[dot]bravehost[dot]com/

be advised that this program is nothing more than a key logger :)

Good call jambon :)

I saw one avvy spamming the chat in PA with this but refusing to answer any questions like "Why would anyone want to give away HoFs to randoms?"
Thankfully, there were quite a few people who were clued up and warned everyone that it was likely to be a virus.

It's like the internet 'superb investment opportunity offering xxx% return on your investment.'
Yeah, right - it's so good that you won't offer it to your friends, you'll just spam every e-mail account you can get hold of :rolleyes:

Last edited:
ESI/Skills Scam ...or not

I may have just blown my big chance... For the first time since my arrival in Entropia someone offered to sell me their skills, and at a very reasonable price. All I had to do was buy the some empty skill implants... Well, take a look at the picture below.

What do you make of it?

She was most likely a very nice girl, and I laughed in her face. Oh well, hopefully she'll get over it and find someone else to help her. On the other hand, this might just have been a case of the old ESI scam in play. Just a word of warning... This took place today in Jason Centre.

Sincerely,
Donald

P.S. As for the post above, with the hyperlink to the keylogger website, the original post has been edited not to show the correct link. I suggest the quote be edited as well, for safety sake.

how is it Donald that whatever the situation you manage to be charming and honest :) Even to the point of disguising potential scammers you allow them the chance to better themselves ;)

I hope this wide eyed lady adopts the moral high road from now on.... :eek:

I suspect that a naming and shaming would help more though if I was frank... ( not the MA frank either) ;)

Well, in this instance, Beki, the answer is quite simple really. As I was walking away she called out that it was not a scam, in case I had thought otherwise. I'm not one to second guess my fellow Entropian.

Donald

This thread is very usefull,atleast for a new player :).

Another method of scamming that seems to be fairly common is that mentors abuse their status,my former mentor told me to get 1k sweat,so I started to gather sweat.When I finally had all the sweat that I "needed" he asked me to trade him.He offered one of those laser rifles that you buy from trade terminals,and claimed that "I need it in my next phase of hunting".I asked if he was going to give me some ammo,but no,he claimed that the worth of the rifle was around 8 PED :mad:.He had obviously forgot that you can see the value of stuff in the trade window :D
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this,but I hope that it migth be usefull information

Ah another nice scam attempt.

Someone offered to craft UBER Armors like Angel, Jag, Shadow for only the Materials (around 3k PED).

<edited>

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend has a mentor that never showed her how to use the TT. After every hunt she had to give him everything that she looted and all he ever gave her each time was 1 ped. :scratch2: What a b'stard :eek:
I put her right, she gets lots of loot now :wtg:

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

i just want to know when this s..t will finally stop :scratch2:

i just want to know when this s..t will finally stop :scratch2:

I am not sure what type of scam you are highlighting there. From your screenshots the avatar has said that they are invisible and you have said that you will report them for exploiting a bug.

Is there more information available on what scam actually occurred? :scratch:

it appears the ava was trying to sell him invisiblity

bugusing is cheating, and in EU i consider cheating a major scam, shall i open up another Topic, like cheats exposed for that? Nah i cant so i posted it here...

bugusing is cheating, and in EU i consider cheating a major scam, shall i open up another Topic, like cheats exposed for that? Nah i cant so i posted it here...

Yes, but what scam or bug was occurring? Were they trying to sell you "invisibility"? The chat log you posted isn't clear and could be interpreted as them explaining that you may not be able to see them standing next to you because they are currently invisible or that they are trying to sell you the ability to become invisible. Which was it?

A picture may paint a thousand words, but a few lines of text often helps to add a little context. ;)

but a few lines of text often helps to add a little context. ;)

what is not clear? the ava offered trade. he asked what was being offered. the ava offered invisibility.. it really seems quite obvious:rolleyes:

what is not clear? the ava offered trade. he asked what was being offered. the ava offered invisibility.. it really seems quite obvious:rolleyes:

The Chat log goes like this:

A: You wanna buy something great?
B: hmmm maybe
A: U see me?
A: I'm next to you
B: Yes I am in a trade Sek
B: what you got?
A: invisibility

The key to this conversation is timing.

Was "invisibility" a response to the question "what you got", or was it a clarification for why A might not be visible. Surely you must have entered conversations where someone has only managed to type the response to one question after the second one has been asked. The problem is that some people type faster than others.

Without knowing when those lines of text were written, it is not clear what was going on.

Instead of clarifying the situation with a simple "yes, they were trying to sell me invisibility," Parlog has instead said that they are a bug user and not a scammer. That just confuses the issue even further. Someone that is invisible is a bug user or victim of a bug while someone trying to sell "invisibility" could be described as a scammer.

I am very wary when people start assuming accusations of scamming are "obvious" based purely on two lines of text with no context. The next two lines would have been much more useful. For example, if B asked "You are trying to sell me invisibility?" and A said "Yes, I can make you invisible" then the situation would be much clearer.

Last edited:
I may have just blown my big chance... For the first time since my arrival in Entropia someone offered to sell me their skills, and at a very reasonable price. All I had to do was buy the some empty skill implants... Well, take a look at the picture below.

What do you make of it?

She was most likely a very nice girl, and I laughed in her face. Oh well, hopefully she'll get over it and find someone else to help her. On the other hand, this might just have been a case of the old ESI scam in play. Just a word of warning... This took place today in Jason Centre.

Sincerely,
Donald

P.S. As for the post above, with the hyperlink to the keylogger website, the original post has been edited not to show the correct link. I suggest the quote be edited as well, for safety sake.

Oh Donald... You're my mentor ;) Always polite, gentile and a Gentleman - even to scammers. Now that's impressive.

First i want to say I think it's great that you posted it here, regardless if it's a actual scam attempt or not. Since it's an excellent illustration, nevertheless, how a scam can come up for you (interrupting another trade etc.)
I personally have no doubt that this indeed was a scam attempt, but I can put my finger on the problem: There's a bit of the chat obviously missing between the two screen shots, and that would most likely have explained and proved your case, way beyond reasonable doubt. ;)

If I may, I really like to enforce the importance of taking screenshots when something like this occur - all the time. You can always erase it afterwords.

And thank you all for posting here!
We'll get the bastards in the end :)

I just saw them in PA but didn't have a chance to chat him and get his full name. Noted for future reference :)

Hmm. Scamming people in-game and in RL is a different matter. RL scamming is the case in that article.

In many of the oriental countries {especially South Korea} , it's just as illegal to scam in game.

In many of the oriental countries {especially South Korea} , it's just as illegal to scam in game.

Do they cut your fingers if you are caught? :rolleyes:

Stupid scamers... LOL

Another jerk who tried to scam me wanted to just give away all her skills to me for free. She didnt want to play anymore.:scratch2:

She asked me to give her an emty skill implant and she would fill it with all her skills... about 87K and i would be VERY happy, she said :yay:

Sure baby, stealing lollipops from small kids is one thing you should stay to instead of trying to steal my empty skill implant. :D:D:D

was scammed

Yes i'm pissed coz i was scammed yesterday like that...with ESI
They took from me a 610 peds ESI (it can worth even a bit more)
a 106 peds tt esi ...

The stuff is that teh scammer took the account of my friend so i trust !! i thought really it was my friend...

SO carefull people with even ur friends it can be a scammer hidden ...

Now im quite broke this stupid scammer stole almost all my peds it was my first hoff peds...and we can't do a thing
those scammers are stupids they don't have bollocks they need a comp to steal from you they should come here IRL ...

Too many scams like that exist I think that the safety security stuff in entropia should be increase coz gold card its not enough !!!

Rippy

Yes i'm pissed coz i was scammed yesterday like that...with ESI
They took from me a 610 peds ESI (it can worth even a bit more)
a 106 peds tt esi ...

The stuff is that teh scammer took the account of my friend so i trust !! i thought really it was my friend...

SO carefull people with even ur friends it can be a scammer hidden ...

Now im quite broke this stupid scammer stole almost all my peds it was my first hoff peds...and we can't do a thing
those scammers are stupids they don't have bollocks they need a comp to steal from you they should come here IRL ...

Too many scams like that exist I think that the safety security stuff in entropia should be increase coz gold card its not enough !!!

Rippy

Not Entropia's fault here at all. Always get collateraleven from friends. Don't loan stuff unless you're willing to give it and lose it.... you learned the lesson the hard way :(

Gl on another hof soon! :)

Tracked down this one?

Tonight I had a PM exchange (logged) with an avatar that I witnessed dealing with a known hacked account, then admitting to taking and using a login and password from a stranger. I also watched as they quickly put some rifle skill on auction - I have screen shots showing the before and after scanned level of rifle skill on the hacked ava (correct me now if I am wrong?).

This avatar stated that they are a pilot. This seems very strange to me. If I had a significant capital investment in this game, I wouldn't do risky things that might get my account locked. The act of logging into the account of another avatar, even if only to !!!! it for skills, is against the EULA I think (I haven't read it all either I think). I wonder if MA overlooks this activity for all players with such a large investment.

Viva Entropia!

Last edited:
Tonight I had a PM exchange (logged) with an avatar that I witnessed dealing with a known hacked account, then admitting to taking and using a login and password from a stranger. I also watched as they quickly put some rifle skill on auction - I have screen shots showing the before and after scanned level of rifle skill on the hacked ava (correct me now if I am wrong sweety?).

Do scans show skills now? Before VU 9.0 they were only showing the professions. :scratch:

This avatar stated that they are a pilot. This seems very strange to me. If I had a significant capital investment in this game, I wouldn't do risky things that might get my account locked. The act of logging into the account of another avatar, even if only to !!!! it for skills, is against the EULA I think (I haven't read it all either I think). I wonder if MA overlooks this activity for all players with such a large investment.

Viva Entropia!

A few things to clarify there:

• There is nothing wrong in logging in to someone else's account if you have been given their username and password. However, the EULA states that the actions of the avatar are the responsibility of the original owner, so there is no use protesting the stealing of skills or a lock on your account if you have given away your security details voluntarily.
  • Stealing of accounts is wrong and MA will take action if they are aware of it. However, MA are not psychic. Even if two accounts log in from the same IP address, there is nothing to prove that someone hasn't visited a friend's house to log in or handed over their security details to another person voluntarily. If you have evidence that the account was stolen then submit it to MA so they can investigate.
  • Being an investor is no protection from getting locked out of Entropia. There is a high profile case where a few Land Area owners are currently locked out.

I was really just questioning the state of mind of a obviously invested player who blindly took over and started harvesting skills from a possibly stolen avatar. I realize he might have not had an ESP moment and was unaware that there was anything strange about someone giving away an avatar with possibly 50k total skill points.

I have moved this thread to the Technical/Security subforum, however perhaps it is better placed in the n00bs Corner or Sticky Threads section.

I am open to suggestions.

+Rep, nice thread Pepper!

I think this should be a sticky so it wont get burried in time.
plus rep to Pepper:D

Back