Scamming Methods Exposed

Well, I ran across a (I think) new scam, today.

I see in the local PA chat that someone's selling a Heal Chip for drastically under market price, so I bite. Open up a trade with her, she tosses in a 6ped Heal Chip. I check the market value, and whaddaya know, the daily value of it is TT+258, with 2 sold. Unfortunately, the weekly, monthly, yearly, etc., values actually made sense. They drove up the daily statistic to try to sell a weak chip for 150PED.

That's an old method scammers use, they use two characters , and put a really low price item in auction for a very very high buyout and they buy it out themselves on another character ... that way the auction graph becoms easily manipulatable ...

No one mentioned that before, yet it's a very clever scam ... Thank's :)

I know an auction scammer, it puts his items on auction with his other avatars and than put bids on it close to BO tempting buyers to get em... @ high price it's sure...

it can help his sales in creating false bidwars when there's only one guy interested in the item...

[Deleted]

so beware @ him, if u're in bidwar with Trader u it's easy that he's the seller too

Last edited by a moderator:
rofl so whats the scam?
are you forced to buy stuff?
if you dont buy it price will drop.. if someone does buy it then thats the new markup price doh

if you realy feel upset about it.. look outside PE and observe the world filled with scammers legal loopholes and more juicy stuff....

btw ever seen Barbarians at the gate?
its a movie wich actualy happend, and its all about manipulating market prices.
ill post a screenshot of someone who realy tried to scam.. or well abuse the bug
i dont got it on this computer so stay tuned it will come;p

i got scammed by She said he was a pilot and i didnt know you pay when you get on the ship not before. Should have known that MA had a better payment/collection method for flights. beware and if anyone can get my PED back from "le best francais" but dont think it will happen.

Last edited:
mtneering, remove the name from your post, or your post will be deleted, as naming isnt allowed.

Anyway, I was also scammed by that avatar too, so I know your feelings. Supportcase is sent.

i got scammed by "le best francais" he said he was a pilot and i didnt know you pay when you get on the ship not before. Should have known that MA had a better payment/collection method for flights. beware and if anyone can get my PED back from "le best francais" but dont think it will happen.

MA doesn't have a "payment/collection method for flights" at all.
You deal with the individual avatar.
This is a long known issue. Pay only when you have gotten on board the ship, to be certain you are dealing with the pilot.
When I first got here, before I knew anything, I got conned out of my first ten ped from a guy who was going to "give me a ride to the other continent" in one of those ships parked at PA.

My first lesson.

Yeh pilot scammers suck.. ;/ hope they kinda fix it with some sort of voucher

anyways I promised to up some pics..

Trust Scam comment

I feel the need to make a comment about so-called "Trust Scam"

[soapbox mode]
If you were walking down the street and met some fellow who said to you, "Listen, dude, give me $5 so I can give it to my friend, and he will give me back $10 in a few minutes, and I will give you back $6."
What would you do?

If you are at the grocer, and someone you have maybe seen in the store a few times asks to borrow your bicycle for a few hours, to go visit his mom in the next town, what would you do?

90% of the "scams" I have read about in EF, are this kind of scam. Why on Earth would you give something you cherish, or your hard earned money to someone you only know by chatting with at the local pub, or by seeing around the mall?

A simple method to avoid being the victim of a scam: Use your head.

Yes, there are genuine scams out there.
you should not give anything to anyone who is going to upgrade it for you, or pay the guy at the TP who claims to be a pilot.
You should require collateral before loaning something to someone. And even then, go back to the rule, "Never loan anything that you would not freely give away."

Even the most reputable avatars in game could suffer some problem that takes them out of the game, and whatever they have of yours could be lost, through no fault of theirs or yours.

Remember, take responsibility for yourself and the things that happen to you.
Use your head, and you avoid being the victim of a scammer.

[/soapbox]

Agree with previous poster, most of the scams is so obviuse so noone should fall for it if they use there head.
I falled for it just becasuse I didnt think, I just followed the stream so to speak. Im not whining, its just 20 ped for my part. But looking back on it, it was clear that he/she scammed me and now afterwards I know it and how easy I should been able to tell :)

I see myself as an experience player, Have been here since feb 2002 and know most of the scams out there, but this time I didnt care, I just wanted to go to CND. Have done this trip lots of times so I didnt think more about it :eyecrazy: What I wanna say is that even the most experiense player can be blind for obviuse scams sometime if the dont think twice before a deal :rolleyes:

/Droid

And again we see the old armor upgrade scam...Please spread this thread to noobs so that we can stop the thieves.

I didn't see this one:
Leeching: A fellow entropian comes up to you and asks if you feel like going on a hunt. You accept and heads of to the selected hunting place. Now then, the loot distribution is set on random and the leacher is only healing or shooting a little now and then. All profit for the leacher and a lot bigger loss for the trusting bugger.

Perhaps it isn't counted as a scam though.:rolleyes:

I didn't see this one:
Leeching: A fellow entropian comes up to you and asks if you feel like going on a hunt. You accept and heads of to the selected hunting place. Now then, the loot distribution is set on random and the leacher is only healing or shooting a little now and then. All profit for the leacher and a lot bigger loss for the trusting bugger.

I would call it a scam.
I was once invited on a hunt by a guy, and he set up the team, and we started out.
Then just as we got to the mobs, he says, "I have no ammo. can you lone me 5000 medium cells?"

I threw a grenade into the middle of the mobs, drawing them to us, and then logged out, leaving him to fight the mobs.

Technically, no.
Effectively, yes.
I was once invited on a hunt by a guy, and he set up the team, and we started out.
Then just as we got to the mobs, he says, "I have no ammo. can you lone me 5000 medium cells?"

I threw a grenade into the middle of the mobs, drawing them to us, and then logged out, leaving him to fight the mobs.

Nice one! :laugh:

I had some random PM me asking for ammo just outside Twin ring last night.
I was going to do a Walter but they obviously didn't want the ammo that badly ;)

I didn't see this one:

Perhaps not a scam, but surely close enough to fit in this thread though. :)
I remember a similar one that happened to me in my early days, the guy that I was with had the same gun as me, Mk Justifier I believe - but after a while I noticed that he switched to a Jester D-1. When i pointed it out to him he said he "hadn't' noticed". Everyone can make mistakes, but I soon realized that when he thought I wasn't looking he switched to Jester again.
The loot was of course set on equal share. That really toughed me a lesson - especially since this was a guy I knew a bit from before and had played longer than me. Never trust a junkie.

Perhaps not a scam, but surely close enough to fit in this thread though. :)
I remember a similar one that happened to me in my early days, the guy that I was with had the same gun as me, Mk Justifier I believe - but after a while I noticed that he switched to a Jester D-1. When i pointed it out to him he said he "hadn't' noticed". Everyone can make mistakes, but I soon realized that when he thought I wasn't looking he switched to Jester again.
The loot was of course set on equal share. That really toughed me a lesson - especially since this was a guy I knew a bit from before and had played longer than me. Never trust a junkie.

Yeah, the other part of that is to never join a team with someone you don't know unless you like the loot distribution they set up, or set up the team yourself.
They can set it to leader take all, and you get nothing.

Same thing happened to me at fury. Well kind of. She came and asked if i'd join, said, ok. Looked at rules, queue. Thought i'm not cool with that, let her start shooting. So i run towards the fef's and she runs to tp! Lol. I didn't shoot anything before quitting. I call that a scam. Not even intending to fire one shot. Always check loot rules in team!

Yeah, the other part of that is to never join a team with someone you don't know unless you like the loot distribution they set up, or set up the team yourself.
They can set it to leader take all, and you get nothing.

Leader takes all were removed in VU 9.0 if I remember correctly, but yea. If you don't like the distribution walk away :D

Leader takes all were removed in VU 9.0 if I remember correctly, but yea. If you don't like the distribution walk away :D

I pretty sure it was earlier than that - shortly after PvP4 came in I think.

One of the reasons for it (according to hearsay) was that a leader-takes-all team would go into lootable PvP except the leader to ensure that the team members would only lose their tox shot if PKed.

One of the reasons for it (according to hearsay) was that a leader-takes-all team would go into lootable PvP except the leader to ensure that the team members would only lose their tox shot if PKed.

Clever! :laugh:

I dont know if this is in already...didn´t see it in the List at the first page tho.

A while ago some naked guy chattet to me. He told me he was quitting the game because in the last night he has become a father and has no more time. He told me he already sold all his things except his skills and wanted to give them to me for free, all I had to do was to buy the equiptment (chips and implanter) worth about 4k ped for his skills. He told me his skills would be worth about 30k ped. Well, as I am quite noobish I only had about 200ped left...after I told him that he wanted me to buy chips for that amount...Well i shortly thought about it tbh...but giving some unknown naked guy chips worth all my peds wasnt really what i wanted so I told him to wait for me and logged out ;)

And yeah, the armor upgrade/coloring scam is quite popular these times..someone tried that on me and a friend who just started the game about two weeks ago.

...but giving some unknown naked guy chips worth all my peds wasnt really what i wanted so I told him to wait for me and logged out ;)

If it was ESIs (empty skill implants) he wanted you to give him it's the old "ESI scam".

Lol, the team scam...

I remember that you'd get 3 invites to team per minute at Camp Phoenix, back when there was a high newbie activity there. :D

Damn thats such a great idea.
:)
Must have been wonderful....

The Perfect Idea
Should exist the same for the mining sessions...

Last edited:
ESI Scam

I dont know if this is in already...didn´t see it in the List at the first page tho.

A while ago some naked guy chattet to me. He told me he was quitting the game because in the last night he has become a father and has no more time. He told me he already sold all his things except his skills and wanted to give them to me for free, all I had to do was to buy the equiptment (chips and implanter) worth about 4k ped for his skills. He told me his skills would be worth about 30k ped. Well, as I am quite noobish I only had about 200ped left...after I told him that he wanted me to buy chips for that amount...Well i shortly thought about it tbh...but giving some unknown naked guy chips worth all my peds wasnt really what i wanted so I told him to wait for me and logged out ;)

Perfect time and place to have a scanner in your hands...a fast scan would have showed you right then and there it was a scam...bet his skill lvl's were zero or so close as not to matter...

Ouuu now *thats* why "Leader takes all" Option was removed from team options!!

Auction scam

Alright, since my original thread will be deleted for exposing the avatar name, I'll post it here (thanks Pepper for reminding me of this thread)!

Very often it happens to see broken (L)imited items which are put in auction for sale. Earlier today I was browsing the weapons section and I saw one avatar selling two broken ISIS, one of which was for sale at 2442% mark up.

Always pay attention to what you are buying and be extremely careful when the item in question is a limited one. :)

bump1.jpg

Back