GoldCard Reader 101

Usurper

Stalker
Society
Freelancer
Emelie USURPER Andersson
If your reader stops working there is a big chanse
that it's just the batteries that needs to be replaced.
This is a simple step by step instruction on
how to do just that.

The reader itself is the standard Todos eCode reader
customized for entropia universe with
the entropia logo printed on.
The same reader is used by banks and similar.
The batteries are two standard CR2016.

http://www.todos.se/Todos/products/products_eCode_Reader.html

To replace the batteries you first need to crack this bad boy open.
You don't need a foeripper to do this.
A very tiny philips screwdriver applied to the four
screws holding the back plate in place does the trick.

cardreader0.jpg

Once the cover is removed you will notice the folowing things:
The two batteies.
The card reader contacts (in blue).
The on/off switch (in green, depressed when card is inserted).
Battery locking tabs (in red)

cardreader1.jpg

To remove the batteries, gently lift the locking tabs and
slide the batteries out in the direction of the arrows.

cardreader2.jpg

Insert the new batteries with the positive side facing up.
It is indicated by a "+" sign on the battery.

To check that the reader is up and running, gently press
the on/off switch and check the display.
If it lights up with the "Error 72" message,
you're back in business! :wtg:

While having the reader open you could take the opportunity
of cleaning the card reader contact with a
Q-tip and alcohole. (cleaning fluid for tape recorders and similar).

NEVER EVER scrub the contacts with any
kind of sharp instrument in order to clean them.

The only thing you will accomplice by doing that is to remove
the thin gold plating and seriously damage the reader!
The plaiting is there for a reason.

When done, refitt the back plate and secure it
with the four screws.

Now log on and get that Hof! :yay:

Last edited:
Thanks!

Good to know when the batteries dies!

+rep

Beautiful Job Even the Dumbest of people cant mess that up +Rep Highly Use full CR2016 may want to add pricing on those at Most $3USD per battery Any watch store will have them. But definately and alternative to not being able to log in

Nice job, now I dont have to make this guide!:yay:

Nice job, now I dont have to make this guide!:yay:

I guess not. :)
Well, i had some time over and was pretty bored so i thought, what the heck...

i have 2 readers:)...from beginning....a good mistake:)

i have 2 readers:)...from beginning....a good mistake:)

I have two Gold cards, mine and Rave's...D'oh! I wasn't supposed to say that!

:laugh:

great thread, got a problem with my reader though. Last night I realised that when i put the card in the reader nothing happened, no error message, tried squeezing and banging etc so thought it must be batteries. Few hours ago i put the card in the reader only to get "error 72". I dont always get the message, sometimes i have to squeeze the reader. I'm thinking i need a new reader, or can this be fixed? :(

meh, scrub that, just put the card in the reader and got a number string lol

great thread, got a problem with my reader though. Last night I realised that when i put the card in the reader nothing happened, no error message, tried squeezing and banging etc so thought it must be batteries. Few hours ago i put the card in the reader only to get "error 72". I dont always get the message, sometimes i have to squeeze the reader. I'm thinking i need a new reader, or can this be fixed? :(

Contact MA, they were happy to send me a replacement free of charge when mine started malfunctioning (I was getting Error 72 seven or eight times out of ten)

someone should Please sticky this in EU support thread

Thank-you!!!

How long can you expect to receive a gold card after requesting one? I sent for one months ago it seems and have yet to receive it in the mail. I thought maybe it could be because my avatar was born on Rocktropia?

bump it up this should be sticky

Thanks for the info. 1 of my batteries died and I was able to replace it with another one. The reader is fine now. :yay:

Thanks for the info. 1 of my batteries died and I was able to replace it with another one. The reader is fine now. :yay:
Yep use this thread anytime someone needs help with their card reader! It should be stickied! :)

After 7 years my gold card battery decided to go out. Instead of waiting for MA to send me a new reader I went to target and for 6.99+tax got the batteries to replace and working good once again. Thnx to the poster for the easy to understand instructions.

SpikE

Edit: I agree with the above post.. this thread should be sticky.

I'll add one thing- If you get a lot of Error 72's, it is possible that the contacts on your card have developed a light layer of corrosion or gunk. Try rubbing them with a pencil eraser.

Now if ma could hurry up and drop a CR2016 battery bp.....those solar 6v dont fit

This is an issue I would like to address.....I started having this issue where every time it was error 72....the issue is over time the 6 contact pins by constant use end up sitting down more than the card is and become non touching... So what's happening is the card is touching the activation pin which is activating the reader but the 6 contacts are not making contact.... You need to only if you feel your capable is get a pin or needle gently underneath the center of the contact pull upwards and the pin will pry out...gently bend it upwards the side it popped out and then put it back in do all with the 6 and it's back to as it should be....remember not to bend upwards too much.... As when inserting the card they will bend them backwards completely as the smooth bending springy action will not take place.....before putting back together put cover back on and gently insert card to see if it goes in....if it does do a few back and forth movements to ease things up and your good to go put it back together.... If it doesn't gently push each pin down with the pin it will bend it back in place slightly and should all work as normal.....after that alot of people will say fcuk that new card reader lol but it can be done as mine completely stopped working last night as in error 72...now its back to new again.

Question: Why is it "Error 72"?... I've never seen any other Errors 1-71!

How many Errors can this thing even have?! Why doesn't it just say "Error" or "Error 1"? :scratch2:

:bump:

Bumping this thread by Usurper, whilst it is a sticky, it makes it easier to find as a 'New Post' (for a while anyway)

I'll add one thing- If you get a lot of Error 72's, it is possible that the contacts on your card have developed a light layer of corrosion or gunk. Try rubbing them with a pencil eraser.
No. Some pencil erasers contain abrasive material (a little or a lot, depending). Abrasive material will take the gold off the contacts, and then the contacts will be able to rust. Use a Q tip and cleaning alcohol (tape head cleaning solution or something similar - drinking alcohols tend to contain sugars which are not great for electronic devices). Same goes for cleaning your card's contacts (although I've done fine on cards with a moist cloth before).

I'll just dodge incoming moist owlet jokes now...

Use a Q tip and cleaning alcohol (tape head cleaning solution or something similar - drinking alcohols tend to contain sugars which are not great for electronic devices)

Ah shi..... :ahh:

:beerchug:

Ffs

To log in..I have gave 1st card reader: and Second card reader: and it reverts back to same question...Please advise on what to do after that? is a virtual loop. :eyecrazy:

A question of curiosity. If you post an image of your Gold Card online with the chip visible, can someone reverse engineer codes from the image, as if it were a QR code for a Bitcoin private key, or is it considered completely safe for everyone to see your Gold Card?

Back